HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 9:38 PM
The City

Lets play COVID Jeopardy!!!

Answer: Nothing

Question: What I do when I have a runny nose and cough

Ding ding ding ding ding ding! You've just won the round!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ The advantage of the "At home test kits" (which are still a bad idea since regular people really should not be able to practice medicine on themselves) is that the germaphobes and the sheeple who are obsessed with COVID can just test at home now, isolate, live out their basement dreams, and hopefully......

Just hopefully......

Leave. Me. The. Hell. Alone..
My only motivation for getting a take-home test is just to know definitely that I got it and will hence develop natural immunity. I could care less about getting overly ill from the thing, but knowing i've had it with two shots and natural immunity is something I would like to know for myself.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 9:50 PM

Quote:
^ The advantage of the "At home test kits" (which are still a bad idea since regular people really should not be able to practice medicine on themselves)
Swabbing one's nose with a Q-tip and dipping it into a solution is hardly "practicing medicine on themselves".

Quote:

Let's not diminish the severe effects covid can have with silly comparisons. 800+k people have died due to covid in the US.

It's not the typical rhinovirus. Or the "sniffles" as our former president (who nearly died from it) claimed.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 9:53 PM

Quote:
^ The advantage of the "At home test kits" (which are still a bad idea since regular people really should not be able to practice medicine on themselves) is that the germaphobes and the sheeple who are obsessed with COVID can just test at home now, isolate, live out their basement dreams, and hopefully......

Just hopefully......

Leave. Me. The. Hell. Alone..
They’ve had at home kits in Europe for a long time now. People would use them before family gatherings (my wife and I did them before going to my mother’s for Christmas last year).

But we have vaccines now so the whole thing is moot. The only reason to test now is when it’s a requirement for travel.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 10:38 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Swabbing one's nose with a Q-tip and dipping it into a solution is hardly "practicing medicine on themselves".
Don't be coy. A monkey can obtain a sample, but that's not the same thing as determining who needs to be tested and why.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 10:40 PM
The City

dp

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 11:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:

I've had a dry cough for months from a prior covid infection. I've had a stuffy nose for weeks and a runny nose this week. These are all symptoms that I would never go to the doctor for. I can't wait for my at home test kit to arrive in the mail to then tell me that I've been reinfected with Covid, maybe I'll get another paid week off after the holidays.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
This is not true at all. I know plenty of people in Berkeley who have gone out to eat or gone into stores.
Plenty people have gone out to eat? Wow!

If anyone is still living like Covid is a thing to be worried about, then there is something wrong with them.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 11:21 PM
A Man In Dandism

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Plenty people have gone out to eat? Wow!
Yes, is that not a common thing in London, Wisconsin?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Yes, is that not a common thing in London, Wisconsin?
Again, you are really, really bad at picking up on sarcasm.

Why the hell would people not be going out to eat?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 11:55 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Again, you are really, really bad at picking up on sarcasm.

Why the hell would people not be going out to eat?
The establishment requires masks or proof of vaccination .

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 1:42 AM

I know this is a controversial take, but I actually think if you're vaccinated then testing if symptomatic (and isolating while infectious) is actually way more important than actually doing anything to prevent infection.

Basically the chance you will personally be substantially negatively impacted by COVID (particularly with Omicron) is vanishingly low. But you could still unwittingly start a transmission chain which could ultimately kill someone.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I know this is a controversial take, but I actually think if you're vaccinated then testing if symptomatic (and isolating while infectious) is actually way more important than actually doing anything to prevent infection.

Basically the chance you will personally be substantially negatively impacted by COVID (particularly with Omicron) is vanishingly low. But you could still unwittingly start a transmission chain which could ultimately kill someone.
This shouldn't be a controversial take. This latest iteration of covid is ample evidence that vaccination is to protect yourself first and foremost. With something this contagious there are no reasonable mitigation measures that will make a significant impact in protecting the few who are unvaccinated and experience serious adverse effects.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 10:26 AM

But it needs to be limited to symptomatic cases, if anything. Like I’ve said, not going to work when you’re running a fever and coughing everywhere will probably become the norm. Maybe even wearing a mask when you’re sick and absolutely have to go out for essentials (like East Asians have always done). But isolating at home for a week because you’re not sick but had a positive test is too costly and too disruptive to be sustainable in the long-term, or even now.

The risk to any vaccinated person is low enough that it needs to be accepted as part of life, like we accept flu, colds, and other common diseases.

Public health experts should be focusing on tackling obesity, i.e. the root cause of practically every condition that made anyone but the very old susceptible to this stupid virus in the first place. That kills way more than 800k Americans yearly.

Last edited by 10023; Dec 30, 2021 at 10:42 AM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 1:52 AM

Heard NY and Florida both hit 70k today.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Heard NY and Florida both hit 70k today.
It. Does. Not. Matter.

The only problem is the requirement to isolate (i.e., the excuse for a lot of people to not show up for work).

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 3:32 PM

Why are we still closing, canceling, postponing, isolating, quarantining, etc. due to covid?

We have remarkably effective vaccines.

Why are we still doing this?

If you're vaccinated and don't want to increase your chances of catching it and experiencing mild symptoms, then stay home and wear a mask when out.

If you have young children who cannot be vaccinated yet, then stay home and wear a mask when out.

If you're not vaccinated due to a health condition, then stay home and wear a mask when out.

If you're not vaccinated because it goes against your "beliefs" for whatever reason, then fuck off... everyone's tired of catering to your idiotic fragility.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Why are we still closing, canceling, postponing, isolating, quarantining, etc. due to covid?
This variant is extremely contagious, so it makes sense to cancel parties and other events that are guaranteed to be super spreaders and get a significant amount of people sick, vaccinated or not. There is also going to be an economic hit in a month or so whether or not the government forces a shut down.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 4:04 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:

We have remarkably effective vaccines.

Why are we still doing this?

If you're vaccinated and don't want to increase your chances of catching it and experiencing mild symptoms, then stay home and wear a mask when out.

If you have young children who cannot be vaccinated yet, then stay home and wear a mask when out.

If you're not vaccinated due to a health condition, then stay home and wear a mask when out.

If you're not vaccinated because it goes against your "beliefs" for whatever reason, then fuck off... everyone's tired of catering to your idiotic fragility.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
This variant is extremely contagious, so it makes sense to cancel parties and other events that are guaranteed to be super spreaders and get a significant amount of people sick, vaccinated or not. There is also going to be an economic hit in a month or so whether or not the government forces a shut down.
I'm well aware that it is highly transmissible, but so what?

If you're vaccinated (and boosted, especially), you have very little to worry about, other than possibly having mild symptoms for a couple/few days.

If you're vaccinated and don't want to go due to concern about potentially getting a bit sick, then don't go. Or if you're not vaccinated, then don't go. ​

This variant spread is happening, and it will continue to happen. And another variant will very likely emerge in the near future.

But again, we have remarkably effective vaccines.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions