HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Looks like the Architect is playing off the milk carton apartment building across the street. The white panel up the side has the same opposing angle at the top.

Are there any timelines for the Hilton Garden tower ? It is beautiful.
This & Sutton Place would cause a stir in the existing hotels to renovate.
Any firm timelines about the added 2 floors and opening of Hampton Inn, the old BW Charterhouse?

Also of note..MARLBOROUGH HOTEL is open....something fishy going on there ....A couple months back , there was no reservations past Oct 01 2021..Building was said to have been sold.....calling yesterday I was told the hotel is fully operational...hmmm..Anyone know the truth? Such a great potential there.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Covid killed that hotel proposal for the time being (maybe in 2 or 3 years).
You mean the Hilton Garden Inn? So all that hubbub was for a project that may or may not materialize in a few years?!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 4:17 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ yes....I'll quote myself from the last page.

Quote:
Covid killed that hotel proposal for the time being (maybe in 2 or 3 years). Former Charter House hotel renovation is proceeding.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 4:21 PM

(sad trombone)

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post

Also of note..MARLBOROUGH HOTEL is open....something fishy going on there ....A couple months back , there was no reservations past Oct 01 2021..Building was said to have been sold.....calling yesterday I was told the hotel is fully operational...hmmm..Anyone know the truth? Such a great potential there.
The Marlborough is back on the market at a reduced priced. Whatever tentative deal was in place last year fell through.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
The Marlborough is back on the market at a reduced priced. Whatever tentative deal was in place last year fell through.
(sad tuba)

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 6:31 PM
surely you agree with me

damn

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 9:00 PM

Marlborugh now has months of availability. The Hampton Inn proposal is not yet loaded on the Hilton site. Not really surprised by that as new things only come up when they are a few months from opening.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 11:49 PM

The way all the extra nice touches and glass face the back/side makes me they probably did it so the main door of Hampton isn't in a sketchy back lane. Wonder if they plan to flip the main entrance to Hargrave, that would be great – that block is super nice and well streetscaped, feels like south of Broadway blocks. Would be interested to see if they also do some upgrades to the lane like the new project on Sherbrook is doing so the lane doesn't feel like ... a lane.

I also heard that the owner of a longtime nearby restaurant bought all the lots and Donald at St. Mary and is moving said restaurant there. Can't say which...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 10:13 PM

A minor one but I’m told there’s an apartment building going up in the parking lot of Luckys supermarket on Jefferson. For the life of me I can’t find anything on the city of Winnipeg community committee. I assume this would need approval? Anyone have any details on this.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 2:04 PM
What could go wrong?

6 storey, 72 unit by Paragon.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
A minor one but I’m told there’s an apartment building going up in the parking lot of Luckys supermarket on Jefferson. For the life of me I can’t find anything on the city of Winnipeg community committee. I assume this would need approval? Anyone have any details on this.
Luxury apartments. Construction has already started.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 11:21 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
There's an article for that...

Based on the aerial views, it seems strange it would take up that particular side of the parking lot, literally in front of Lucky's. Granted, the parking lot itself isn't full to the brim on an average day, this would make it seem that it would make "efficient" use of the parking lot more, but at a cost of flow and increase of traffic, similar to what happened at Northgate.

We will have to wait and see, but at the very least, there's something going up now.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
so in that rendering, is the second/third floor... what, event/convention space? that seems unusual, i didn't think downtown was at all underbuilt for convention traffic given the RBC convention ctr...
More convention space is actually sorely needed downtown. Yes convention centre is right there but pre-Covid was always booked solid well in advance. Aside from Fairmont no other downtown hotels have real convention abilities. Yes lots have conference rooms or banquet facilities and ballrooms, but not that large for a true multi-room convention. I’m sure there’s lots of events that default to airport hotels that would rather be downtown.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Aside from Fairmont no other downtown hotels have real convention abilities.
The Delta, directly across from the Convention Centre and connected by a skywalk, has some pretty decent space between the ballroom and a bunch of smaller rooms on the second floor. They also have the typical private event space rooms you see in most business oriented hotels too, on a different floor from memory.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 2:06 PM

Judging by the rendering of the Hilton Garden Inn, I would think it will be well behind the Delta and Fairmont when it comes to meeting/convention space (assuming that it's ever built). Looks like it might be more on par with the Radisson. I'm assuming that some of that podium is also devoted to other functions too like pool/fitness centre, hotel operations, etc.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 5:25 PM

Anyone hear anything about the proposed residential development at 258 Burnell St, aka the old Canada Bread Bakery and Stables?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 6:43 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

so...
Effective 31 December 2021, the Winnipeg Railway Museum, home of the Countess of Dufferin, first steam locomotive in western Canada, will be closing because VIA Rail is no longer willing to provide space in the Union Station. The museum operators hope to relocate to another site.

that suxs
this info was posted up on the mhs facebook groupd

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 6:46 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Anyone hear anything about the proposed residential development at 258 Burnell St, aka the old Canada Bread Bakery and Stables?
Apparently it went in for Building Permit in summer...6 storey, 106 unit, 1 floor below grade parking, 1 unit CRU

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Apparently it went in for Building Permit in summer...6 storey, 106 unit, 1 floor below grade parking, 1 unit CRU
Thanks, that’s fantastic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan