HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 2:41 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
If you’ve ever been stuck behind a cyclist who holds up traffic on a RURAL provincial highway you’d know what I’m talking about. If you’ve ever waited 15 minutes riding your breaks because some cyclist has “taken a lane” for his own personal “safety” you’d know what I’m talking about. It becomes even more frustrating when the cyclist in question can move two feet over to the right and allow a dozen people to pass, but refuses too. ITS CALLED CONSIDERATION. Just because you don’t have anywhere to be, doesn’t mean I, or the other people you’re making wait, don’t. While you’re lazily cycling along. There could be a kid being rushed to the hospital with a severe cut or brain injury, or a wife driving her husband who’s having chest pains.
15 minutes behind a cyclist on a rural highway?!....i call BS on this whole story.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 2:46 PM

Quote:
If you’ve ever been stuck behind a cyclist who holds up traffic on a RURAL provincial highway you’d know what I’m talking about. If you’ve ever waited 15 minutes riding your breaks because some cyclist has “taken a lane” for his own personal “safety” you’d know what I’m talking about. It becomes even more frustrating when the cyclist in question can move two feet over to the right and allow a dozen people to pass, but refuses too. ITS CALLED CONSIDERATION. Just because you don’t have anywhere to be, doesn’t mean I, or the other people you’re making wait, don’t. While you’re lazily cycling along. There could be a kid being rushed to the hospital with a severe cut or brain injury, or a wife driving her husband who’s having chest pains.
I smell cap

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 2:54 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
15 minutes behind a cyclist on a rural highway?!....i call BS on this whole story.
What? You've never been stuck in that brutal rural highway rush hour before? Nothing but liberal cyclists trying to steal funding for operas on their several KM trip to pick up avocado toast.

That story could be true to be fair. Hecate comes off as a guy that would idle behind a cyclist on an open road just so he could complain about it.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 3:29 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
What? You've never been stuck in that brutal rural highway rush hour before? Nothing but liberal cyclists trying to steal funding for operas on their several KM trip to pick up avocado toast.

That story could be true to be fair. Hecate comes off as a guy that would idle behind a cyclist on an open road just so he could complain about it.
I'm not going to say it's true of false, but I can add that I've seen cycling groups go north along Main Street in packs. Luckily it's two lanes there, but if they do the same on Henderson I can see this being true.

And, as someone who knows a few people in these sorts of groups... Some of them are most definitely not liberal.

As an aside: I now have a new favourite building in Manitoba -- the building at Oak Hammock Marsh. I haven't been out there since like the mid-90s and never realised how interesting it was.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 3:32 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
I have no idea why you put safety in scare quotes in this post. I 100% take the whole lane when cycling, and do it for safety, because it's the safest thing to do.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 3:34 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
ooooh...i love this debate.

insurance pays for your $30,000 vehicle when to crash it....it does not pay for roads.

registration doesn't pay for roads.

gas tax pays for a very small portion of roads....but nowhere near proportionate to the amount of wear vehicles cause.

you know what does pay for the overwhelming majority of city roads?...PROPERTY TAXES....you know who pays property taxes?....CYCLISTS.

and they get way less in return than those who drive vehicles....in fact, if you only ride a bike or walk, you are heavily subsiding drivers.
About 50% of the gas tax that Winnipeg receives goes to debt service the PPP for 2 roads -- the Disraeli bridge and Chief Peguis Trail -- and one other project, Transcona Blvd. This gas tax is completely used up for 20+ more years on those two projects.

Last edited by steveosnyder; May 12, 2021 at 3:48 PM. Reason: I was off by a lot...

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 4:34 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
actualy thats possible theres a community of cyclsits that go for 100k bike rides every day in around wpg. i know at least 10 that do rides out of the perimiter and ride on the perimiter doing this as often as they can even winter when its nice out and roads are clear free of snow ice
also for harvest moon festival u get couple that bike from winnipeg to clearwater and few other festivals

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 4:45 PM
Formerly rypinion

Important to note that there's only a miniscule overlap between the people cycling 50K's on Roblin and Henderson and the people using urban cycle paths and on street bike lanes.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I take your point. But what I was getting at was the fact that since so much of Portage's sidewalks are squandered on random junk and are unwalkable anyway, then why not find a way to put that space to better use as a cycling lane?

Look at this stretch of Portage near Portage Place... the sidewalk is probably pushing 15 feet wide but I doubt even half of it is clear for actual walking. The other half has planters and other stuff in the way.

https://goo.gl/maps/jAS3QrXLNXuszP8g7

Even if you turned half of that ROW into cycling lanes, you wouldn't lose any of the actual walking path that exists today.
Sidewalks are for way more than just walking, though. They're not just little pedestrian roads, they're where all the human street life takes place. I think the sidewalks on Portage downtown work quite well in that regard. There's a clear path through for walkers, and the area with planters etc. is great for people to stand around and chat, eat, busk, (preach, panhandle), whatever else.

Outside of downtown I'd agree that some of the sidewalk width on Portage could be sacrificed for a bike lane. I don't see it working in the Main to Colony stretch though. The interactions at bus stops alone would be too much of a nightmare -- those sidewalks get very full in rush hour.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 5:25 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
Important to note that there's only a miniscule overlap between the people cycling 50K's on Roblin and Henderson and the people using urban cycle paths and on street bike lanes.
I am not a "cyclist". I'm just a person who rides a bike sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMed1qceJ_Q

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 5:40 PM

If you do not like cyclists to hold up traffic on rural highways you should start advocating for building separate bike lanes on those highways. If you think it is too expensive then do not complain about cyclists as they same rights on roads as you are

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 5:41 PM

Quote:
The irony in your name calling BS on 15 minutes behind a cyclist on a rural highway. When there isn't a pandemic there is an organized event called Biking to the Viking where a large number of cyclists travels from Winnipeg to Gimli on a rural highway. Further, it occurs on a weekend in peak cottage season when traffic flows on those same highways can make getting stuck behind non-cycling traffic easily a 15 minute or more wait.

There is also an organized mass cycle from Winnipeg to the Folk Fest but outside of the lane restriction on the floodway bridge it is unlike to cause that type of delay.

I am sure there are other scenarios that the cycling advocates that seem to frequent here could share.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The irony in your name calling BS on 15 minutes behind a cyclist on a rural highway. When there isn't a pandemic there is an organized event called Biking to the Viking where a large number of cyclists travels from Winnipeg to Gimli on a rural highway. Further, it occurs on a weekend in peak cottage season when traffic flows on those same highways can make getting stuck behind non-cycling traffic easily a 15 minute or more wait.
A once-a-year organized fundraiser for MS isn't exactly representative of the ordinary behavior of cyclists.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 5:59 PM

The polarization on cycling is astounding. If we put as much effort into cycling infrastructure as we did into vehicle infrastructure. There wouldn't be an issue. This goes back decades.

Induced demand. The more roads we build, the more room for cars. The more cycling infra we build, the more cyclists will use it.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 6:01 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
A once-a-year organized fundraiser for MS isn't exactly representative of the ordinary behavior of cyclists.
It's LAUGHABLY common in this thread that people are bringing up 'that one time' and using it to condemn the whole thing... If were gonna go ahead and condemn whole groups of people because of 1 off examples, then let me tell you about the jacked up truck with a "fuck trudeau" sticker on the back that brutally cut off a van infront of me and ran a red, almost hit some old woman trying to legally cross the street. Based on the attempted logic of many in this thread the only conclusion is all truck owners should be executed.

P.s. I'm in love with CoryB whining about a once a year bike ride to raise funds for MS research hahahahahahahaha. I agree Cory! Stupid losers with their fake disease, they're just lazy am I right????? I bet those fakers are just using the money they're raising to support limp wristed liberal hoaxes like homelessness.

Last edited by Wigglez; May 12, 2021 at 6:11 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 6:05 PM
Formerly rypinion

Especially since a ton of the people who do something like Biking to the Viking likely only bike at that one event and for some preparation rides earlier in the year. Aside from that they're the person in the car next to you (just like the Roblin and Henderson fitness cyclists)

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 6:11 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
No one in this thread is going to note that... The examples people are bringing up to defend their hatred of cyclists appear to be mostly very limited if not unique situations.

Important to note - if you're unable to pass a cyclist in 15 full minutes on something like the perimeter highway with its 2 lanes, that speaks far more to your inability to drive like an adult than it does for selfish cyclists.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 6:28 PM

Anything new for when it comes to construction in Winnipeg?

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 6:52 PM

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/perm...10512(RM)PW-21

Plans again to close curb lanes on Henderson and Watt St. for pedestrian, cycling and place making this summer.

I see the City does not support this on Henderson. It's kind of a joke because there are diamond lanes which limit traffic from 3 to 2 lanes and Disraeli is also only 2 lanes. So that's why there is the congestion during peak times that they mention. The congestion in the morning goin to downtown is really not that bad. And the only people who use the curb lane are those people skipping the line to cut in at Hespeler. Which is fine and legal. But not a huge deal to lose that IMO. I guess it would mostly affect transit stops, which could be dealt with.

Like I mentioned before, they could permanently have implemented this on Watt St with the recent reconstruction. But didn't. They mention that in the write-up. Which is also a joke.

There's actually a lot of items regarding cycling in that meeting. Overall tone. "The Public Service does not support this". Written by a traffic engineer.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 8:58 PM
keep the good times going

I know this is the general Winnipeg thread, but we do have the cycling thread where this may be more on topic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan