HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
I definitely consider this area to be downtown, although it's certainly not where all the nice new expensive condos have been built. But there are a few condo/apartment towers in this area (Cambridge, Westgate, Greenwood) although those are all pretty old.

I'm betting these will be on par with Seaholm, or one of the older Rainey towers.
Agreed !
Downtown Austin is defined by the city as River/MLK/35/Lamar. For code purposes the areas shift within that boundary.
Perspective:
North and west end is actually the first very established residential neighborhood of Downtown for decades. Between Westgate, Cambridge, the Penthouse, Greenwood, Judges Hill homes and condos. Yes the rest of downtown has filled in the last 15 years... .and now the trend may shift back to the north and west as space dictates. I think you will also see West Ave neighborhood and 12th get more attention as well. Those will make great residential high rise neighborhoods for long term investments.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Here's a good view of that screen covered podium. At least one side will be covered up by the Hilton Garden Inn.

https://www.thelinden.com/
I'm glad the street level was re-deisgned!.... but, yeah.... wish the parking level screen had more attention paid to it.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 9:26 PM

Come on, Rhodes. I mean, COME ON! *eye roll*

You might as well just have no screen at all.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Come on, Rhodes. I mean, COME ON! *eye roll*

You might as well just have no screen at all.
I have to agree..... and folks usually try to make renderings look better than the final product! LOL!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I have to agree..... and folks usually try to make renderings look better than the final product! LOL!
Like seriously. at least they put some plants on the Independent renderings. They're not even trying here lol.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
I respectfully disagree. As this area becomes developed, I predict it will not be called/considered 'downtown'...more 'uptown' or 'mid-town', or whatever. It is very disconnected from the walk-ability of downtown. I think eventually this neighborhood will grow to have it's own sense of place (much like West Campus does) in the next 15 years, that's if this is the beginning of a trend.....and I truly hope it is.
It'll become a trend if a rail line gets approved to go through this area. That would pretty much guarantee that this area will get a lot more development attention and become more connected with downtown.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
I respectfully disagree. As this area becomes developed, I predict it will not be called/considered 'downtown'...more 'uptown' or 'mid-town', or whatever. It is very disconnected from the walk-ability of downtown. I think eventually this neighborhood will grow to have it's own sense of place (much like West Campus does) in the next 15 years, that's if this is the beginning of a trend.....and I truly hope it is.

I've brokered dozens of condos downtown and NEVER has anyone wanted to live in Westgate, Cambridge, Penthouse.....no mater the price or condition, and I've showed them all over the years......no takers...they were outliers. Shit, even the Nokonah was a tough sell for my buyers. Even when the price was WAY lower, they still would rather be in the mix...so to speak.

The Linden has it's work cut out for it if they plan to price like 70 Rainey/West/etc. People will not pay top dollar to live that far away.
AND I'll respectfully amend your assessment. As I noted in another post, this area of downtown was the first and still popular residential area. I hear that somehow the clientele you've cultivated are looking for something different. Thats great! Yet this area has had it's own identity for quite some time. The debate of what to call the north/west end of downtown has raged on here for some time. Mostly from observers who don't live here. So many of the folks that frontiered downtown living in Austin are alive and well and enjoying a vibrant livable life in the North end of downtown joined constantly by new residents. And as you probably know, the demand for all properties are equally high in demand in all buildings on the North End and growing.

As for walkability. Oddly Rainey is more disconnected from, lets say , Whole Foods on the West end , than the North or west end is.
Google maps says that the walk from the Milago on Rainey to Whole Foods is a 34 min walk. Where as the walk from Cambridge to Whole Foods is 26 min!
Cambridge to 6th and Congress: 20 mins.
Milago to 6th and Congress: 22 mins!!!!!!

The point for me really is, perhaps the perspective of "downtown" is wide and perhaps more flexible than always observed... or sold.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 4:14 PM

Quote:

I'm betting these will be on par with Seaholm, or one of the older Rainey towers.
Seaholm is a step above all of the condos on Rainey (save for 70 Rainey, which is on par with the Austionian in term of quality). I think it's overpriced, but Seaholm is even more expensive than the Spring and the 360 building.

If I had to guess, this will probably be right in the middle price-wise between condos like Seaholm/Independent/70 Rainey, and the old condos like Sabine/Penthouse Condos/Cambridge. Likely $550/ft or so.

And given the location, I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to target UT professors, and wealthy parents who want a pied-a-tierre in Austin while their kid(s) go to UT. Those two demographics already make up a lot of Penthouse/Cambridge, and some of the small condos near campus.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
Seaholm is a step above all of the condos on Rainey (save for 70 Rainey, which is on par with the Austionian in term of quality). I think it's overpriced, but Seaholm is even more expensive than the Spring and the 360 building.

If I had to guess, this will probably be right in the middle price-wise between condos like Seaholm/Independent/70 Rainey, and the old condos like Sabine/Penthouse Condos/Cambridge. Likely $550/ft or so.

And given the location, I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to target UT professors, and wealthy parents who want a pied-a-tierre in Austin while their kid(s) go to UT. Those two demographics already make up a lot of Penthouse/Cambridge, and some of the small condos near campus.
This feels accurate for price and market.
Cambridge residents major percentages: Capitol employees ( legislators, lobbyist, land commission) UT professors ( or former), Parents who buy for students then keep as Pied-a-tierre, (lots of others who just have Pied-a-Tierre) Architects.... a surprising amount. Downtown workers/lawyers... And now, more Dell Med Center.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 7:19 PM

This is the second major project to withdraw and resubmit a site plan since the virus hit the fan:

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...rtyrsn=5783793

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
This is the second major project to withdraw and resubmit a site plan since the virus hit the fan:

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...rtyrsn=5783793
Help me understand how this relates to the virus? Does this delay commitment in some way?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 12:55 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Help me understand how this relates to the virus? Does this delay commitment in some way?
It keeps the site plan valid longer, giving them more leeway in acquiring financing.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
It keeps the site plan valid longer, giving them more leeway in acquiring financing.
Ah. got it. Thank you

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 8:26 PM

I'm still not sure why the site plan was withdrawn and re-submitted. But it could be for a change that caused a slight height increase. The FAA tower permit was filed and indicates a building height of 337'.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...6067942&row=66

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 5:05 AM
Meh

FAA permit for tower crane - 384 feet.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...37976606&row=2

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
FAA permit for tower crane - 384 feet.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...37976606&row=2
Hum.... no demo yet.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 3:49 AM
Meh

This got a little height bump from 330 to 333 feet. You can see the elevations under the "U0 AWPE red line comments" file.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...rtyrsn=5688474

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 4:11 AM

Another 300 ft building I completely forgot about. How bout that.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
This got a little height bump from 330 to 333 feet. You can see the elevations under the "U0 AWPE red line comments" file.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...rtyrsn=5688474
Hi Kevin, having trouble opening Download, says I need an app. Know what you used? Thank you.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 10:59 PM
Meh

Quote:
Hi Kevin, having trouble opening Download, says I need an app. Know what you used? Thank you.
Try this - https://abc.austintexas.gov/attachme...t%2FKAl9ZElpLu

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin