HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
Thoughts on this? I imagine Chicago is responsible for most of the job growth, but why so slow?

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...owth-hits-wall
Geographic mismatch, I think.

I just concluded a job hunt and the city proper doesn't feel slow at all. Help needed everywhere, at every salary level, especially along the Blue Line neighborhoods, and I got a very healthy response percentage-wise for my applications.

But I saw virtually zero openings past 294 or below 55. But of course, populations don't respond quickly if jobs don't match where the homes are.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
Thoughts on this? I imagine Chicago is responsible for most of the job growth, but why so slow?

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...owth-hits-wall
Near full employment? We are having a very hard time finding laborers right now in the landscape industry and are offering $18.00/hr at my company for starting crew members... pretty much no skills required.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 1:54 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Kedzie View Post
Near full employment? We are having a very hard time finding laborers right now in the landscape industry and are offering $18.00/hr at my company for starting crew members... pretty much no skills required.
Near-full employment, for certain industries. Trust me, as someone who DOESN'T have a coding/programming background, it's not so easy to land anything that pays reasonably. Anything science/environmental based is more or less hanging on by a thread.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Near-full employment, for certain industries. Trust me, as someone who DOESN'T have a coding/programming background, it's not so easy to land anything that pays reasonably. Anything science/environmental based is more or less hanging on by a thread.

Aaron (Glowrock)
But that's how economies work. New industries boom and obsolete ones die. Unemployment is below 4%. Though from the numbers it looks like Illinois labor force is shrinking so that could be the main driver in the low unemployment rate here.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 5:56 PM

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...st-loop-office

Cloud storage company to lease West Loop office

Quote:
Cloud storage company Box is joining the list of Bay Area tech firms beefing up their commitment to Chicago.

Box is finalizing a deal to lease around 20,000 square feet at 123 N. Wacker Drive, according to sources familiar with the plans.

It's unclear whether the publicly traded company plans to add to its headcount as part of the move, and a Box spokesman declined to comment. But the pending deal is the latest signal of Chicago's appeal to California-based tech companies, which have been a boon to the downtown office market.
These tech companies just keep coming.....

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
But that's how economies work. New industries boom and obsolete ones die. Unemployment is below 4%. Though from the numbers it looks like Illinois labor force is shrinking so that could be the main driver in the low unemployment rate here.
Looking at the City of Chicago, the new numbers were released today. The unemployment rate is at 3.8% preliminary for October - not seasonably adjusted. I think it's a combination of shrinking workforce lately but also more people being employed.

Consider that October 2013 had 25,591 more people in the labor force in Chicago versus October 2019. However, there are 58,844 more employed persons in the city in October 2019 than October 2013. This has resulted going from a 9.9% unemployment rate in October 2013 to a 3.8% unemployment rate in October 2019. Although the labor force has declined, the increase of the number of employed persons in this period of time is over 2X more than the decrease of labor force in the same period.

Now at the entire MSA level, the difference in the labor force October 2019 vs. October 2013 is a decrease of -1497 persons. However, the increase of employed persons in the metro area in this period of time is 252,494 people. That's resulted in going from a 8.7% unemployment rate in October 2013 to a 3.5% unemployment rate in October 2019.

Simply put, the increase of employed persons in both the city and MSA far outweighs the losses of the labor force.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Looking at the City of Chicago, the new numbers were released today. The unemployment rate is at 3.8% preliminary for October - not seasonably adjusted. I think it's a combination of shrinking workforce lately but also more people being employed.

Consider that October 2013 had 25,591 more people in the labor force in Chicago versus October 2019. However, there are 58,844 more employed persons in the city in October 2019 than October 2013. This has resulted going from a 9.9% unemployment rate in October 2013 to a 3.8% unemployment rate in October 2019.

Although the labor force has declined, the increase of the number of employed persons in this period of time is over 2X more than the decrease of labor force in the same period.
Thanks! The employment numbers are very encouraging, we do need to start seeing population growth though.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Thanks! The employment numbers are very encouraging, we do need to start seeing population growth though.
I think the city and metro as a whole is still in the middle of an economic shift. That's just my 2 cents though. A lot of the people leaving are ones where for what they are "trained" in as far as work goes, might be better nowadays elsewhere. You have a lot of people moving to places like Dallas from all over the place due to these reasons.The increases though are in completely different industries. Also, I believe there was a study lately that said a lot of losses of the white population in the suburbs was due to retirees going to Arizona, Florida, etc. Perhaps that's why the labor force has barely gone down MSA-wide in the same period. I think there's a reason why Chicago has shot up into the #1 slot of college educated people and has outgained everyone in 6+ figure earning households except LA and NYC even though other cities have gained many more households than it.

You quoted me after I added the MSA numbers, but here:

Quote:
Now at the entire MSA level, the difference in the labor force October 2019 vs. October 2013 is a decrease of -1497 persons. However, the increase of employed persons in the metro area in this period of time is 252,494 people. That's resulted in going from a 8.7% unemployment rate in October 2013 to a 3.5% unemployment rate in October 2019.

Simply put, the increase of employed persons in both the city and MSA far outweighs the losses of the labor force.
By the way, the increase of employed persons in the Chicago MSA from October 2013 to October 2019 out paces the NYC MSA although other areas like LA, Dallas, Houston, etc etc are better. Just imagine if the MSA and city were, as a whole, growing in population?

Last edited by marothisu; Nov 27, 2019 at 4:39 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 6:22 PM

Quote:
By the way, the increase of employed persons in the Chicago MSA from October 2013 to October 2019 out paces the NYC MSA although other areas like LA, Dallas, Houston, etc etc are better. Just imagine if the MSA and city were, as a whole, growing in population?
Oh wow, that's surprising.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2019, 12:10 AM

Like we're nearly sprinting in place.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 6:15 PM

Yea, for me I was getting recruiters calling me for Chicago jobs in 2017 and previous years, this year the recruiters have almost stopped calling for Chicago positions. Now I'm getting lots of calls for jobs in other states mostly in the south.

My friend was on a job search this summer. He just graduated from college after 8 years in the Army and was searching for surveyor jobs for over 3 months. He had previous surveying experience too. He said it was quite hard to find a job in Chicago. His company is downtown, but they send him as far as Rockford for surveying jobs.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 3:35 PM

Taking a whole floor at 333 N Green:

Fast-growing freight-tech firm expands in Fulton Market

Quote:
Flexport, a fast-growing freight services startup, is expanding again in Chicago, signing a lease for enough office space in the Fulton Market District to double its current local workforce of 140 people.

San Francisco-based Flexport is leasing an entire floor, about 40,000 square feet...

The freight-forwarder runs a technology platform that helps companies ship goods around the globe, so it made sense to expand in Chicago, a tech-driven shipping center, said Scott Holloway, a senior director and Midwest general manager for Flexport.

“This is one of the great logistics hubs in all of North America,” Holloway [a senior director and Midwest general manager for Flexport] said. “This is really becoming a best-in-class engineering product culture.”

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...-fulton-market

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 9:44 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/09/b...bs-cities.html

Boston, Seattle, San Diego, San Francisco and Silicon Valley captured nine out of 10 jobs created in these industries from 2005 to 2017, according to a report released on Monday. By 2017, these five metropolitan regions had accumulated almost a quarter of these jobs, up from under 18 percent a dozen years earlier. On the other end, about half of America’s 382 metro areas — including big cities like Los Angeles, Chicago and Philadelphia — lost such jobs.

I just find it really difficult to believe that Chicagoland had a net loss of 13,000 "innovation jobs" in this time period. I suppose it's possible that we've seen them conglomerate into downtown, which seems like growth to the city but is neutral for the region. Curious if anyone else has thoughts.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 10:39 PM

^ I think Brookings used at a very specific definition of "innovation jobs" to arrive at these numbers. Looks like a relatively useless measurement. "Fields where at least 45% of the workforce has STEM degrees and where R&D investment per worker is $20K or more." The jobs they are talking about account for only 3% of all US jobs if I read it correctly.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/09/b...bs-cities.html

Boston, Seattle, San Diego, San Francisco and Silicon Valley captured nine out of 10 jobs created in these industries from 2005 to 2017, according to a report released on Monday. By 2017, these five metropolitan regions had accumulated almost a quarter of these jobs, up from under 18 percent a dozen years earlier. On the other end, about half of America’s 382 metro areas — including big cities like Los Angeles, Chicago and Philadelphia — lost such jobs.

I just find it really difficult to believe that Chicagoland had a net loss of 13,000 "innovation jobs" in this time period. I suppose it's possible that we've seen them conglomerate into downtown, which seems like growth to the city but is neutral for the region. Curious if anyone else has thoughts.
I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if you're comparing from 2005 and as Vlajos points out, it depends on your definition of "innovation jobs." I think what's more pertinent is what has happened since 2013.

There have been waves of the types of little bubbles with computing. Don't forget that the iPhone wasn't released until 2007 and there was not an app store at all until July 2008. The Android app store wasn't released until October 2008 and it took more "average" companies awhile to start developing for these platforms. Facebook Platform was released in its infancy in 2007. The recession hit around that time as well, so really many places might have lost what they had before and haven't necessarily recovered in pure head count. In reality, the app boom didn't really start until 2009, 2010, etc. I think a lot of non computer type of people didn't start learning how to make apps really until more like 2011 to be honest (to my knowledge).

Point being: what's going on now and why there's so much funding/hiring going on has nothing to do with what was going on pre 2009 or 2010 basically. Other areas like the Bay Area are the epicenter of this post 2009 or 2010 boom with apps and other online technologies. Chicago got started later than some other cities with startups and funding, really around 2013. They existed before and there were success stories, but not compared to the last handful of years IMO. A lot of what's happened also in the last 5 or 6 years has to do with companies modernizing not only their apps, but their websites to "re-do" their applications. And of course, the continuing trend of mobile apps from the 5 prior years which continues into today. As an example, around 5-7 years ago, a bunch of banks started working on modernizing and re-doing their online banking systems. There has been a lot of new developers that are focused on technologies like Javascript for reasons like this. There is a reason why these "coding bootcamps" exist.

So if we want to be more useful to what's going on now, we'd be comparing to around probably 2010 or 2011, not 2005. What was going on in 2005 in the tech space is different than today and the last 5 years. The fact that NYC is not listed at all, which has by far the most funding of any area outside of the Bay Area, should tell you a lot about this study.

Just put this into perspective: Amazon's revenue in 2006 was "only" $10.7B. Today it's over $230B. That's a ton of hiring and there was a lot of it in Seattle. I think today they have something like 45,000 to 50,000 employees in Seattle alone. In 2006, they had around 14,000 employees in the entire world. Even if 10,000 of those were in Seattle, they've still added 35K to 40K jobs since then. They were ahead of the curve in a way - there's a lot of companies today that employ many people that aren't even that old.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 4:48 AM

Kind of surprised that San Diego was such a prominent city in the whole innovation space. Is it really that successful?

I'm sort of interested, as I have a hand full of friends who live in that city, and I've been playing with the idea of buying a warm weather home out there.

Last edited by rgolch; Dec 10, 2019 at 2:08 PM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 6:24 PM

^Qualcomm

. . .

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 7:22 PM

Comparing 2005 to 2019 in these positions is so arbitrary. What's more important is what's happened since 2013 or so. By the way, San Diego and Seattle aren't even top 10 for change from 2013 to 2018.

The following data is from the BLS. It's the change in Computer, Math, Architecture, and Engineering related jobs by metro area from mid 2013 to 2018:

1. NYC MSA: +295,480 jobs
2. Detroit MSA: +117,730 jobs
3. Los Angeles MSA: +114,740 jobs
4. San Francisco MSA: +113,010 jobs
5. Dallas MSA: +67,380 jobs
6. Boston MSA: +63,850 jobs
7. Miami MSA: +55,500 jobs
8. Washington DC MSA: +54,690 jobs
9. Philadelphia MSA: +54,100 jobs
10. Chicago MSA: +47,510 jobs
11. San Jose MSA: +42,350 jobs
12. Atlanta MSA: +36,960 jobs
13. Seattle MSA: +23,200 jobs
14. Denver MSA: +23,100 jobs
15. Minneapolis MSA: +17,540 jobs
16. Portland MSA: +14,830 jobs
17. Phoenix MSA: +14,590 jobs
18. Kansas City MSA: +13,350 jobs
19. San Diego MSA: +12,570 jobs
20. Austin MSA: +12,480 jobs
21. Orlando MSA: +12,090 jobs
22. Pittsburgh MSA: +11,390 jobs
23. Baltimore MSA: +11,370 jobs
24. Tampa MSA: +10,680 jobs
25. Columbus, OH MSA: +9120 jobs
26. Salt Lake City MSA: +9040 jobs
27. Madison, WI MSA: +8790 jobs
28. Nashville MSA: +7460 jobs
29. Indianapolis MSA: +7200 jobs
30. Louisville MSA: +6240 jobs
31. Cincinnati MSA: +6220 jobs
32. San Antonio MSA: +6040 jobs
33. St. Louis MSA: +5580 jobs
34. Las Vegas MSA: +5410 jobs
35. Riverside, CA MSA: +4930 jobs
36. Sacramento MSA: +4430 jobs
37. Cleveland MSA: +4130 jobs
38. Jacksonville MSA: +3980 jobs
39. Milwaukee MSA: +3570 jobs
40. Oklahoma City MSA: +1370 jobs
41. New Orleans MSA: +1300 jobs
42. Houston MSA: -2900 jobs

San Diego MSA is barely top 20 and Seattle isnt top 10. The top 10 here which includes Chicago at #10 accounts for nearly 75% of the increase of jobs of these 42 metro areas.

The percentage change in this time period for Chicago was +28.6% which is nearly the same as Atlanta and higher than DC, San Jose, San Diego, Austin, Seattle, and of course Houston who lost these types of jobs. And with Google Facebook, Salesforce, Uber, etc committing thousands of new jobs to Chicago over other areas.. you can bet the number will rise for Chicago in the next 3 years.

The top 3 here - NYC, Detroit, and LA account for an increase of 527,950 of these types of jobs which is 40% of the sum of these 42 areas. These aren't even mentioned in the study. 2005 is irrelevant to what's been happening the last decade and especially the last 6 or so years.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 8:04 PM

And here's the top for just Compuer and Math related occupations between 2013 and 2018:

1. NYC MSA: +242,740 jobs
2. SF MSA: +77,610 jobs
3. LA MSA: +74,870 jobs
4. Detroit MSA: +50,110 jobs
5. Dallas MSA: +48,920 jobs
6. San Jose MSA: +43,600 jobs
7. DC MSA: +43,140 jobs
8. Miami MSA: +39,080 jobs
9. Philadelphia MSA: +36,750 jobs
10. Boston MSA: +36,280 jobs
11. Atlanta MSA: +30,600 jobs
12. Chicago MSA: +30,290 jobs
13. Seattle MSA: +23,570 jobs
14. Denver MSA: +18,740 jobs
15. Phoenix MSA: +15,870 jobs
16. Minneapolis MSA: +12,880 jobs
17. Austin MSA: +11,090 jobs
18. Kansas City MSA: +10,020 jobs
19. Baltimore MSA: +9470 jobs
20. Tampa MSA: +9440 jobs
21. Orlando MSA: +9160 jobs
22. Portland MSA: +8570 jobs
23. Salt Lake City MSA: +8450 jobs
24. San Diego MSA: +8060 jobs
25. Madison, WI: +7360 jobs

29. Houston MSA: +5310 jobs

San Diego is barely I'm the top 25. Even Salt Lake City gained more of these jobs and Madison, WI was barely behind San Diego. Seattle again not in the top 10.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 8:50 PM

Quote:

29. Houston MSA: +5310 jobs

San Diego is barely I'm the top 25. Even Salt Lake City gained more of these jobs and Madison, WI was barely behind San Diego. Seattle again not in the top 10.
So Houston lost about 8000 engineering jobs. That's a lot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest