HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 9:08 PM

Is that a reflection of spatial "assimilation" for the Asians -- people are leaving and spreading out from the "ethnoburbs" to the more mixed white-Asian (and other races) neighbourhoods in North York as they get wealthier and more acculturated to old money Anglo-Canadian culture (just like the Jewish communities before them). I think parts of Scarborough Agincourt are actually losing population, right? Maybe some more increasingly wealthy assimilationist Asians are choosing to live in places like those in North York, but those that prefer to be with their community continue the northward path from Agincourt up into the Markham/Richmond Hill 905 "ethnoburb". Parts of York Region's sprawling, car dependent Chinese ethnoburbia with both SFH and still large ethnic malls that need to be driven to evoke the San Gabriel valley in LA's metro, but with a different climate, landscape and architecture.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 10:53 PM

IN Phoenix its Starting downtown adn Moving generally North and East. This includes Paradise Valley, Scottsdale, the wealthiest parts the City of Phoenix, Cave Creek, Carefree, North Scottsdale, fountain Hills etc.

There are wealthy neighborhoods in other spots but none to the wealth and consentration to the Northeast Quadrent of the metro area.

Also home to most of the upscale resorts, dining, shopping etc.

Last edited by Obadno; Aug 21, 2018 at 1:54 PM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 11:20 AM

The Westside is clearly the LA favored quarter. Anything close to the ocean, with mild weather, and access to job centers. OC is largely the same.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 8:17 PM

I would think that LA is one of the more obvious ones. Its favored quarter is from Downtown to the ocean, between the I-10 and the mountains.

That doesn’t mean there aren’t very nice areas outside of that area, or that there isn’t a single undesirable street within it. But it’s clearly the generally more affluent, desirable, expensive, culturally important, etc macro section of city.

To say “oh but what about Pasadena?” completely misses the point of the thread.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 10:23 PM

I actually don't think LA has as much as a favored quarter as other cities do. The superficial answer is the West Side, but it certainly wouldn't be all the way from downtown to the coast, mountains to the 10. That's picking up Pico-Union, Westlake, Koreatown, Filipino Town, Hollywood, East Hollywood...lots of areas that don't fit the bill.

Like most things LA related, the favored quarter is complex, and there is more than one. I would say the favored quarters of LA are basically:
Coast: Malibu to Palos Verdes
West Side: La Brea to Brentwood
Hills: Silverlake to Bel Air

This kind of gets at Banham's 4 Ecologies type of understanding of the city, I guess.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 10:53 PM

In major cities, there's going to be a mixture of people and incomes, but that doesn't mean there aren't desirable quadrants or directonals as a whole.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 11:01 PM

Here's an updated income map of the Toronto area. An overall prosperous but mixed income core, a wealthy "central corridor" running north of downtown and more working class districts in the northwestern periphery and Scarborough to the east. There is a secondary wealth concentration in the western suburbs.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...so-simple.html

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
In major cities, there's going to be a mixture of people and incomes, but that doesn't mean there aren't desirable quadrants or directonals as a whole.
Yes, but in LA it doesn't emanate out from the core like it does in say, Chicago's north side. There is a substantial wealth gap going west until you hit the actual west side. The coast and mountains are arguably their own 'quarters' too. In LA it's less about direction from the core, and more about geography. Probably a symptom of the polycentric nature of LA, and also the fact that DTLA has traditionally been relatively unimportant and run down until recently.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Right. The North Side (and North Shore) is still Chicago’s “favored quarter” despite the presence of Cabrini Green, Edgewater, Rogers Park, and south Evanston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Yes, but in LA it doesn't emanate out from the core like it does in say, Chicago's north side. There is a substantial wealth gap going west until you hit the actual west side. The coast and mountains are arguably their own 'quarters' too. In LA it's less about direction from the core, and more about geography. Probably a symptom of the polycentric nature of LA, and also the fact that DTLA has traditionally been relatively unimportant and run down until recently.
That doesn’t mean LA doesn’t have a favored quarter, just that it doesn’t start in the CBD.

Although, taking a slightly different definition (one not focused on wealth of residents), one could start with DTLA. Koreatown and Hollywood aren’t particularly affluent, but they are definitely included in the “part of LA that matters” sense of the term. By which I mean, for example, that when Europeans in London talk about visiting LA, that’s what LA is - from Downtown to the ocean, between I-10 and the hills. Of course the boundaries are fuzzy (Venice is south of I-10, if you don’t count Venice Blvd as an extension of it), but that’s a pretty good guide to where one wants to be.

In fact the more I think about it, the more I think that LA is one of the most extreme examples of a clear “favored quarter” in the world. Rancho Palos Verdes is nice but no one goes there, Orange County is a different place entirely, and there are hundreds of square miles of nondescript, working class, midcentury suburbia across the broad basin in between.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by 10023; Aug 22, 2018 at 7:21 PM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Right. The North Side (and North Shore) is still Chicago’s “favored quarter” despite the presence of Cabrini Green, Edgewater, Rogers Park, and south Evanston.

That doesn’t mean LA doesn’t have a favored quarter, just that it doesn’t start in the CBD.

Although, taking a slightly different definition (one not focused on wealth of residents), one could start with DTLA. Koreatown and Hollywood aren’t particularly affluent, but they are definitely included in the “part of LA that matters” sense of the term. By which I mean, for example, that when Europeans in London talk about visiting LA, that’s what LA is - from Downtown to the ocean, between I-10 and the hills. Of course the boundaries are fuzzy (Venice is south of I-10, if you don’t count Venice Blvd as an extension of it), but that’s a pretty good guide to where one wants to be.

In fact the more I think about it, the more I think that LA is one of the most extreme examples of a clear “favored quarter” in the world. Rancho Palos Verdes is nice but no one goes there, Orange County is a different place entirely, and there are hundreds of square miles of nondescript, working class, midcentury suburbia across the broad basin in between.
Lol, why are you singling out LA's suburbs here?
That's true for any large city. What exactly is interesting in the NYC or Chicago burbs for tourists? Or DC?
Overall, LA has more places of interest in it's suburbsn than NYC or Chicago's by a large margin.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
That's true for any large city. What exactly is interesting in the NYC or Chicago burbs for tourists? Or DC?
Overall, LA has more places of interest in it's suburbsn than NYC or Chicago's by a large margin.
I’m not talking about suburbs in the municipal sense, but the “not a main commercial district” sense. I need to remember that it’s not used that way in the US.

And no, I think there’s a lot more of interest in Queens or Brooklyn, or even the Bronx, than in any part of LA outside of that narrow corridor.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 5:18 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
I dunno, I can think of plenty of things in the Chicago suburbs:

- Botanical Gardens
- Morton Arboretum
- Ravinia
- Oak Park Frank LLoyd Wright Houses + Hemingway House
- Bahai Temple
- Brookfield Zoo

I have a harder time thinking of tourist attractions in the NYC suburbs...

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post

There are wealthy neighborhoods beginging just northwest of downtown LA. Favoured doesnt neccesisarily mean mansions only, but the desirable area people are willing to overpay for compared to similar or even nicer homes/neighborhoods in less "favored" parts of town.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I actually don't think LA has as much as a favored quarter as other cities do. The superficial answer is the West Side, but it certainly wouldn't be all the way from downtown to the coast, mountains to the 10. That's picking up Pico-Union, Westlake, Koreatown, Filipino Town, Hollywood, East Hollywood...lots of areas that don't fit the bill.

Like most things LA related, the favored quarter is complex, and there is more than one. I would say the favored quarters of LA are basically:
Coast: Malibu to Palos Verdes
West Side: La Brea to Brentwood
Hills: Silverlake to Bel Air

This kind of gets at Banham's 4 Ecologies type of understanding of the city, I guess.

Everywhere is complex that isnt special to the LA metro bu the areas West and NW of downtown LA are clearly on average the nicer and more affluent areas.

Down in Orange county is also nice and the Coast alwasy creates an area of wealth along it but thats Irvine, newport etc are practically their own Metro.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 6:34 PM

Is L.A.'s social geography especially complex?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 9:46 PM

Fort Worth has a strong band running to the SW, only interrupted by the historically black Como neighborhood. North and South are predominantly Hispanic, while SE is black.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 1:53 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Oh BTW, I forgot to mention islands. Catalina Island (also historically a resort destination) is 22 miles off the coast of LA. It along with a few other of the Channel Islands belong to LA County; none belong to SD County.

Beaches, mountains, deserts, islands. Where else on Earth?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post

Pretty much any major city on the Pacific? There aren't that many, though. Certainly Santiago, Lima, Acapulco, San Diego.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Oh BTW, I forgot to mention islands. Catalina Island (also historically a resort destination) is 22 miles off the coast of LA. It along with a few other of the Channel Islands belong to LA County; none belong to SD County.

Morocco? Tunisia, Isreal/Labanon, Turkey, Iran.

A lot of the middle east and north Africa, but they have similar climates and geography to Mexico and the southwestern USA

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 2:03 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Obviously, for reasons tied to Hollywood's dominant position in media, the worldwide promotion of L.A.'s attractions were well poised to dominate East Coast communities of note. This doesn't take away from Maine, Mass, NY or NJ's coast in the North Eastern U.S., but if you asked any European, he would come up with Malibu, before being able to name a beachtown on the Eastern Seaboard. Likewise, your average British punter will think Costa Del Sol before connecting Brighton with the idea of a beach vacation in 2018.
It's not a matter of being famous or not. The San Jacinto Mountains are right next to Palm Springs, yet most people have never heard of them. Its summit (almost 11,000 ft) is the second highest point in all of Southern California after Mt. Baldy. I've never been myself, but it looks more interesting than the Jersey Shore. Who else agrees?

http://lastadventurer.com/last-adven...nt-san-jacinto

http://peaksforfreaks.blogspot.com/2...into-peak.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions