HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 11:33 PM

I like the darker color and the SW corner shot of the podium looks decent. North side of the podium (facing the park) is a let down after seeing the old rendering but overall a slight improvement in my opinion... I feel like the old tower would've looked dated in a few years

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 12:21 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
Looks like the base got heavily VE'd. Not surprising

I would say that it did not necessarily get VE'd (just going by the previous publicly released renderings - can't speak to any previous unreleased versions), as those renderings were very likely just placeholders. If they were just pretty drawings and not actually planned version of the tower, then there's nothing to really VE. Correct me if I'm wrong and they had started out working on blueprints corresponding to them.

Also, is this still Perkins and Will? I like it (judged on its own). Nice tower.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
I would say that it did not necessarily get VE'd (just going by the previous publicly released renderings - can't speak to any previous unreleased versions), as those renderings were very likely just placeholders. If they were just pretty drawings and not actually planned version of the tower, then there's nothing to really VE. Correct me if I'm wrong and they had started out working on blueprints corresponding to them.

Also, is this still Perkins and Will? I like it (judged on its own). Nice tower.
Nah for the lack of active use on the park side of the podium alone this is trash.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 1:27 AM

Disappointing. I really liked the V columns along the river, the similar base to The Cooper, and the unsymmetrical, serrated facade. I also liked how the whole development was supposed to be a small white city within the city (World's Fair reference?)

On the positive side, was there a height increase?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 2:30 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
a small white city within the city
Isnt this area called Lincoln Park?

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 3:00 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Underwhelming.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 3:13 AM

Annnnnnnndddddd, we're back in Chicago. The original placeholder was more like Miami.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 4:06 AM
TL;DR

I'm guessing the inclusion of condos caused the parking need to get bigger, so the garage "ate up" the liner units on the podium and the upper reaches of the loggia along the river.

Unfortunately I don't think it's possible to sell condos for the foreseeable future without parking - it seemed for a little while that this truism of the Chicago market would die off with the growth of TOD, but Covid has dealt a serious setback to this progress. It does seem like the rentals will largely be free of parking, however.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
Doesn't look to be that much different from the original massing and design to me. The part jutting out over the riverwalk has been reworked.

EDIT: I'm noticing more changes, like a reduction in balconies and flattening of the serrations. Whatever, just happy this development is progressing more or less as planned. If they are going to invest in one building, I would prefer it to be the tallest one along Harrison. That one is going to make or brake the design of the whole plot. As it is, the extension of the riverwalk south of Congress and renovations to River City are huge wins. The design of this new tower is ok. If the facade is good, it'll be a fine addition. In the renders, I can't quite tell but it looks like painted concrete.

Last edited by BuildThemTaller; Dec 16, 2020 at 2:01 PM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 2:35 PM

That sucks. Losing the v columns and flattening the base really cheapen the look of this thing. And isn't Lendlease responsible for the VE monstrosity at 855 W Madison?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 3:19 PM
The City

I actually think the modified tower doesn't look too bad.

I always hate podia, but even this podium isn't too horrible.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 3:52 PM

The revised tower would be fine elsewhere, but it's directly fronting the river, and an increasingly trafficked stretch of river...this plot of land deserves better imo.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 7:52 PM

I generally prefer darker towers over lighter ones, but this redesign is pretty underwhelming. The podium treatment is awkward and I miss the angles of the previous design. I think the facade comparisons to 845 Madison are fair -- and not flattering (same architect maybe?).

What happened to the requirement that the riverwalk had to be "open to the air above?" I believe that influenced the taller height of the previous loggia (and 110 wacker).

On the plus side, there's no way they're going to sell enough condos to make this happen any time soon.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 8:23 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
What happened to the requirement that the riverwalk had to be "open to the air above?" I believe that influenced the taller height of the previous loggia (and 110 wacker).
I think this requirement was only formalized in 2019, the 30' requirement has been around forever but it was vaguely defined. The Riverline PD was approved before 2019 so they can encroach into the setback to the extent that the PD allows them to.

I'm not sure how a site like 110 Wacker would be handled under the current guidelines. It may not be developable.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm guessing the inclusion of condos caused the parking need to get bigger, so the garage "ate up" the liner units on the podium and the upper reaches of the loggia along the river.
I'm not sure that greater parking was really driving this. The prior garage was 5 floors behind the liner units. Now there are only 2 or 3 floors.

The PD only called for 3 floors open over the riverwalk. It looks like they are still providing that minimum. Even so I wonder if this requires a PD amendment since things like the liner units are written into the PD.

Edit: nevermind on the first part, looking at the renderings again now I can see all 5 levels of the garage.

Last edited by Ned.B; Dec 16, 2020 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Nah for the lack of active use on the park side of the podium alone this is trash.
Really disappointing. I assume the rest will undergo a similar change. The original plan was very river oriented, made to look like it organically grew from the river. This almost turns its back from the river and treats it like an inconvenience. Park for residents and obligatory riverwalk? - check
Thing is, there is a disconnect. Many would like a grand and public riverfront. But we rely on developers with no such incentive. Whatever is enough to get renters or buyers is enough. If this development had included office components, there might be incentive to do something more interesting to meet the needs of workers and create a statement that would lure companies that want to be part of that image and appeal to new employees.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
Really disappointing. I assume the rest will undergo a similar change. The original plan was very river oriented, made to look like it organically grew from the river. This almost turns its back from the river and treats it like an inconvenience. Park for residents and obligatory riverwalk? - check
Thing is, there is a disconnect. Many would like a grand and public riverfront. But we rely on developers with no such incentive. Whatever is enough to get renters or buyers is enough. If this development had included office components, there might be incentive to do something more interesting to meet the needs of workers and create a statement that would lure companies that want to be part of that image and appeal to new employees.
It will be extra awful if they do this to the rest of the development. I would think that making the park more attractive would actually make this development more attractive to residents. A park surrounded by the blank walls of parking podiums during the day and constantly bathed in harsh light from parking garages at night isn't attracting anyone. I get that condos might require more parking but there are other solutions to getting more parking.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 6:01 AM

I'm so tired of seeing the grandeur of an original development proposal followed by the actual proposal. I personally loved the Miamiesque design of this building along with the V supports at the river. This version, if it is the final version, is basically a yawn that protrudes over a river walk. No one will point at this building and say "Wow, look at that. What a cool building. I'd love to live there." Sure, once it's built people may say "I'd love to live there" but it won't happen because of how the building looks but rather where the building is located. Such a shame.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 4:11 PM

The Reed is now selling units and the website got an Update

https://thereedsouthbank.com/
https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...chicago-river/

Also if you click the link below and scroll to the bottom you'll see a new site plan

https://thereedsouthbank.com/southbank/

and a nice drawing

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCres View Post
The Reed is now selling units and the website got an Update

https://thereedsouthbank.com/
https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...chicago-river/

Also if you click the link below and scroll to the bottom you'll see a new site plan

https://thereedsouthbank.com/southbank/

and a nice drawing

Seems like we lost the nice original design of the tallest tower, not loving how this is going.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction