HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 4:09 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ Woah, 605'? That's quite a bit taller than the 515' figure that was initially reported. Nice.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 12:18 PM

Demolition permits issued yesterday to tear down 8 of Atrium Village buildings (at Wells and Division). Looks like they're moving forward with that section of the redevelopment.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 12:23 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer2019 View Post
I'm getting somewhat irked by the Frankenstein-like combos of towers I've seen in recent proposals. As if firms had multiple designs and just no-clipped them through each other in a program instead of picking.

Yeah, those 'mash-ups' drive me crazy as well......plus, it's really a fad from the late 90s, early 00s that has run its course........ I mean, pick one or the other, already!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 1:10 PM
BANNED

Thanks for the Essex Inn report. Much appreciated. I assumed they released renderings for this one simply to avoid the new Affordable Housing regulations, but they seem serious with the construction schedule. REALLY looking forward to this beauty.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Thanks for the Essex Inn report. Much appreciated. I assumed they released renderings for this one simply to avoid the new Affordable Housing regulations, but they seem serious with the construction schedule. REALLY looking forward to this beauty.
They filed when they filed to avoid the affordable housing ordinance. The are same folks who brought up the Hotel Helix, The Langham and are doing London House. They're serious.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 1:42 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
They filed when they filed to avoid the affordable housing ordinance. The are same folks who brought up the Hotel Helix, The Langham and are doing London House. They're serious.
And brought the Godfrey to completion, too, I think, after its original plan got stalled?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PRUROCKS! View Post
I have an acquaintance who works for Halvorson & Partners. I spoke to him on Friday and he told me one of his projects was to work on the structural engineering for 800 S. Michigan. He told me they are considering doing away with the stilts because of cost. The figure he quoted me was that the stilts would add about 5 million to the project budget and that each connection joint where angled stilts connect with each other would cost at least $100,000 and be about the size of an SUV. The stilts themselves would be made of reinforced concrete incased in metal. All of this of course would need to be custom made. I told him I really hope they keep the stilts as it is the most architecturally compelling aspect of the project. I didn't tell him this but $5 million doesn't seem that bad for such a significant design aspect of a project that I would guess would cost more than $200 million.
I have to believe that the change to remove the stilts and the height increase to 600' are related. The engineering is already difficult and more mass? Also a point I haven't seen brought up, the rendering of the stilts has them very clean and slender. Nowhere are the joints the size of an SUV, really aren't any joints at all. Which means the design wouldn't be elegant as shown.

So did they take the spend from the stilts and put it towards more floors? Better ROI. And from my point, I'd rather have more skyline impact than stilts that as I said aren't that visible due to the Grant Park trees.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 1:47 PM

It seems there was another community meeting last night for this guy

From DNA Info

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 1:52 PM

^^^ Ugh. I'd rather see something half that size that didn't give a giant middle finger to the street with 5 stories of blank wall.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 1:55 PM

Also article on Essex and Jahn proposals
Sky High Towers Proposed for Michigan Avenue Draw Tough Crowd at Meeting - DNAinfo

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 1:56 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
I have to believe that the change to remove the stilts and the height increase to 600' are related. The engineering is already difficult and more mass? Also a point I haven't seen brought up, the rendering of the stilts has them very clean and slender. Nowhere are the joints the size of an SUV, really aren't any joints at all. Which means the design wouldn't be elegant as shown.

So did they take the spend from the stilts and put it towards more floors? Better ROI. And from my point, I'd rather have more skyline impact than stilts that as I said aren't that visible due to the Grant Park trees.
from the DNA info article that rlw77 just posted, it appears that the design the developer presented at last night's meeting still included the stilts, so.......... height increase AND stilt retainage, win-win!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 2:56 PM

the New City cam is still up and providing some interesting crane filled skyline views from the North.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
^^^ Ugh. I'd rather see something half that size that didn't give a giant middle finger to the street with 5 stories of blank wall.
Monolithic parking podium is blank and uninspired. ONE STAR.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
could easily do retail there. WTF

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
It seems there was another community meeting last night for this guy
PH has got to go (this is the building that had the elevation that was posted a while back that was attributed to them, right?). The treatment of the garage is beyond piss poor.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
PH has got to go (this is the building that had the elevation that was posted a while back that was attributed to them, right?). The treatment of the garage is beyond piss poor.
Anyone know whose ward this is? I'd be happy to write them an email about this.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 4:06 PM
BANNED

and curb cuts as well it looks like...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
could easily do retail there. WTF
Very true. There's practically zero retail on Dearborn from Chicago to Division save a couple dry cleaners, Chicago Q and the semi-private cigar club that opened in the old Biggs Mansion (which is very coo btw). I'm not sure if the lack of retail is incidental or by design; ie zoning.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Very true. There's practically zero retail on Dearborn from Chicago to Division save a couple dry cleaners, Chicago Q and the semi-private cigar club that opened in the old Biggs Mansion (which is very coo btw). I'm not sure if the lack of retail is incidental or by design; ie zoning.
It seems that zoning is the deciding factor for lack of retail. A good portion of that stretch of Dearborn is either RM (Residential Multi-unit) or Planned Development.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 7:15 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Not to mention, why does it even need parking? Especially so much parking - I mean look at that photo and how many other garages there are in the vicinity. It should be an opportunity to reduce the parking ratio in the neighborhood. And the blank wall sucks. It seems like they should put microapartments along that wall and market them as artist studios. I mean, it would be appropriate given their two neighbors to the south. It's really too bad Amazon has killed bookstores, a retail space there that was a bookstore and also carried a select number of art supplies could probably do pretty well otherwise, and not be the sort of retail that would irritate the neighbors.

Other than that, the part above the podium isn't bad. Not groundbreaking, but not bad.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations