HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Most often they're just repeating bad, outdated, or generic (non-technical) information.

Reporters generally aren't looking at actual DD/CD drawings and calculating the height figures themselves, they're just reporting the info they've been given.

In this case, the roof may very well be 813', but there might also be a screen wall above that takes the total height to 844'.
exactly...not to mention when this story broke in the summer the number of jobs was mentioned at 5k ..so information that is dispersed these days are very inaccurate especially when it comes to numbers..

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 3:20 AM

Crains is reporting the announcement now too, although they still say 950. Sounds unlikely, but maybe there is still hope.

Quote:
Sources familiar with the deal say the San Francisco-based firm has agreed to lease about 500,000 square feet, some of it perhaps on a options basis later, in a 950-foot structure to be developed by Hines Interests and Joseph P. Kennedy Enterprises.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 3:39 AM
DENNAB

I think Crain's info is outdated. I'd stick with the 844' figure (which could maybe refer to the top of a parapet as Steely Dan mentioned)

It sucks to have to wait a year or so though.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
500,000 sf has got to be holding way the hell more than just 1000 employees

Anyhow, looks like this one will be a go
Yes, 100K sq ft or a little more is 1000 jobs. This is from Crains article:

Quote:
The huge additional space—Salesforce now has about a third of that amount at 111 W. Illinois St.—will allow for an equally large expansion of the company's work force here, which now is a bit over 1,000. Company officials have been extremely reluctant to say anything in advance of tomorrow's announcement, which is to come at a morning news conference across from Wolf Point. But sources said the company, at a minimum, will add 1,000 jobs over several years and potentially 5,000 more, depending on its growth.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 4:33 AM

Any advancement is good news to me. I want that riverwalk baby

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yes, 100K sq ft or a little more is 1000 jobs. This is from Crains article:
Really? 100 square feet (10x10) seems awfully low. That’s more than an average cubicle but neglects common spaces, conference rooms, etc. Presumably that’s also net of the elevator core.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockerzzz View Post
Salesforce will have its name on a sign with 11-foot-tall letters atop the east-facing part of the tower
Does this mean they've given up on the video sign? I hope so.

"In a quality city, a person should be able to live their entire life without a car, and not feel deprived." - Paul Bedford

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Really? 100 square feet (10x10) seems awfully low. That’s more than an average cubicle but neglects common spaces, conference rooms, etc. Presumably that’s also net of the elevator core.
Nobody uses cubicles anymore, and 1000 people in 100k SF sounds about right. In suburban office markets we used to think 6 or 8 people per 1,000SF was dense, but the last ten years have seen rapid runups in office density as more and more people have flexible work schedules and companies adapt flexible workspaces. A company like Salesforce is the absolute epitome of this as most of their employees don't ever go into the office. My buddy who works for them at one point didn't go into the office for over two years straight and he lives 4 blocks off the Blue line which basically takes you right to his office. They used to have free beer at the office, but once they took that away (thanks #metoo) he sees no reason to ever go in. At his most frequent when he first started he still only went in a few days a month.

Most modern offices are made up of desktop clusters with no walls, hotelling stations, and shared offices you can use if you need quiet and privacy. Even my wife's job at a family office wealth management company has switched to this. She sits at an open office workstation where there's only 1' high privacy barriers around each desk and then has to go into a private room when she needs to talk to someone. You can cram an awful lot of people into not very much space with modern office design.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Salesforce means "we already have 1,000 employees and are adding up to 5,000 more in this space" for a total of 6,000 employees in 2023. Like I said, most of their employees don't even come into the office. My buddy did say he might actually start doing that though once this tower is done since he is expecting it to be amazing given what he has seen at the HQ in SF Tower, SF.

Let's just hope they tame the corporate Hawaiian theme down a bit for this build out...

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 4:51 PM

Marc Benioff, CEO of Salesforce, tweeted this pic out late last night, Central time.

"Salesforce Tower Chicago! Coming 2023! Join us! @SalesforceJobs"

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 4:54 PM

^ I do like the proportions and the modernist take on art deco, if that is what it is. I just wish it was about 200 feet taller. It should look great, once complete. If you had asked me 5 years ago about adding four 800+ foot office towers to the confluence of the River, I wouldn't have believed it. But here we are.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 5:05 PM
Ω

^ Yes it's very 30 Rockefeller Plaza. I like it a lot! I hope more is done to activate the plaza though. It would be an amazing spot for an amphitheater.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 5:17 PM

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...5-13432742.php

The ceo of salesforce tweeted this article 12hrs ago this article listed the tower at 950 ft , yes the article could have old information but I believe 813 or 844ft I think isn’t the final height

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 5:32 PM
devout Pizzatarian

to settle the height issue, our fellow forumer handro says he works for a company that is bidding on the project and has seen recent bid drawings that say 58 floors / 844'.

no height info reported in any journalism outlet is going to be more accurate than that for the time being.

regular old journalists get this (at times highly technical) stuff wrong all the time. and any article stating 950' is clearly regurgitating out-dated info.

until we have better info stating otherwise, the 844' figure will remain in the thread title for now.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 30, 2018 at 8:58 PM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Nope. My floor at work is 125,000 square ft and it's over 1000 people. We have numerous conference rooms, a cafeteria area, another area with 2 pool tables, foosball, and ping pong with about 5 big couches and seating for over 100 people and also a room with guitars, Xbox, more couches, etc. Totally fine and comfortable. It's a high performance workspace so almost nobody has an actual office, and it's not cubicles either. Its very open, but it's comfortable.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Nope. My floor at work is 125,000 square ft and it's over 1000 people. We have numerous conference rooms, a cafeteria area, another area with 2 pool tables, foosball, and ping pong with about 5 big couches and seating for over 100 people and also a room with guitars, Xbox, more couches, etc. Totally fine and comfortable. It's a high performance workspace so almost nobody has an actual office, and it's not cubicles either. Its very open, but it's comfortable.
Yeah, 100 sqft per person can be quite a lot

The tech office I currently work out of in Mountain View CA clocks in at about 120sqft per and it is downright roomy. Not quite open seating, people have desks that are sort of grouped no more than 3 in a bundle, groups are separated by low dividers. There is roughly a 2:1 desk seat to conference/phone room ratio. Full kitchen and common space, even a huge event/meeting room that seats 62.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 7:08 PM

We have our 3rd tower and although its not 950 i can live with 800+. Also would like to add that the renders don't do the finished product justice!

Loving me some WPE

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie77 View Post
We have our 3rd tower and although its not 950 i can live with 800+. Also would like to add that the renders don't do the finished product justice!

Loving me some WPE
If they do as good of a job on this tower as WPE and WPW, I don't care how tall it is. I can live with 800+ too.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 7:41 PM

I would love to get a job in this building! Any policy related jobs at Salesforce??

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 8:44 PM

That's what? 5 major office towers this cycle. I still wish that K+S tower got off the ground though

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 8:51 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ yes.

and the 715' tall union station tower, which BMO has allegedly been in serious talks to anchor, is probably another safe bet for this cycle, which would make a total of 6 major office towers.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Dec 1, 2018 at 12:37 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive