HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
Speaking of restaurants on South Albert, the former Keg/Hickory building, which had sat empty for several years, finally has a new tenant. India House is making a return to Regina and this will be their new home. India House was one of Regina's first Indian restaurants (if not the first) and was located on Victoria Avenue at Atkinson Street.
I Loved India House. Great to see the owners taking another shot at it.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 3:25 PM

Quote:
The only thing sad about Tony Roma's is that they aren't as busy as they used to be due to the ever increasing costs of running a restaurant. I love their ribs (best in town) but at $29.00 for a full rack of baby backs it is too expensive for me, so it is just a place we go for special occasions.
Tony Roma's is not busy because the food is boring and the décor looks like my Grandmother's basement.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Tony Roma's is not busy because the food is boring and the décor looks like my Grandmother's basement.
I am sure your grandma would be pleased to know that her basement looks like Tony Roma's

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 2:19 AM

Quote:
The only thing sad about Tony Roma's is that they aren't as busy as they used to be due to the ever increasing costs of running a restaurant. I love their ribs (best in town) but at $29.00 for a full rack of baby backs it is too expensive for me, so it is just a place we go for special occasions.
Tony Roma's is pretty decent but the best ribs in town, by far, are at Jack Keaton's. Their ribs hold their own with almost any US barbecue joint I've visited. (There are a couple in Kansas City that I'd put ahead, but K.C. is probably the best place in the world to have barbecue ribs.)

JK's brisket is pretty good, too.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 6:41 AM

Thanks for that information, PhotoJim. I have not been to Jack Keaton's. It sounds like I must make a trip there to try their ribs.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that information, PhotoJim. I have not been to Jack Keaton's. It sounds like I must make a trip there to try their ribs.
Let me know what you think!

I like their mustard barbecue sauce, which they used to have on Rochdale and recently reintroduced at the new location. Ask for a bottle of it when you get your food, if that floats your boat.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
Tony Roma's is pretty decent but the best ribs in town, by far, are at Jack Keaton's. Their ribs hold their own with almost any US barbecue joint I've visited. (There are a couple in Kansas City that I'd put ahead, but K.C. is probably the best place in the world to have barbecue ribs.)

JK's brisket is pretty good, too.
I much prefer Smokin Okies ribs - they use a dry rub instead of sticky BBQ sauce. But Jack Keaton's has kick-ass cornbread.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowgirl View Post
I much prefer Smokin Okies ribs - they use a dry rub instead of sticky BBQ sauce. But Jack Keaton's has kick-ass cornbread.
I don't love Smokin' Okies' ribs - I'm not sure why. (I was just in Memphis and I'm all over a good dry rub.) But they do make a great brisket there.

I agree with you about the corn bread at Jack Keaton's though.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 9:06 PM

Has anyone tried the Tipsy Samurai in Acre 21. Ramon is pretty popular right now.

Quote:
Based on our deep knowledge and experience on authentic Asian foods and creative Western cuisines, we created new unique and delicious Asian Inspired Cuisines. Introducing a variety of bar food specializing in Japanese Yakitori and Ramon and featuring Sake and local craft beer on tap.
https://tipsysamurai.jimdofree.com/

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 9:09 PM

Prairie Donair is opening on Hamilton in the old Fresh & Sweet Location.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Prairie Donair is opening on Hamilton in the old Fresh & Sweet Location.
Never went in there but I did't realize they closed that location. Smart of them and Brewed Awakening to close underperforming locations quickly before they bleed to whole company dry.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Has anyone tried the Tipsy Samurai in Acre 21. Ramon is pretty popular right now.

https://tipsysamurai.jimdofree.com/
It was packed when I went by last night. it's a good time for Asian fare it seems. Bubble Tea seems to be having it's day also.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 10:24 PM

Update: Went to India House the other night for their supper buffet. Will be going back. Finally a true Indian restaurant in the south end!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 7:40 PM

Some great news for Regina craft beer and Mexican lovers: Pile of Bones is moving to a new taproom with 32 taps, local spirits, and Mexican food from Malinche.

Anyone know where the location is?

Official Facebook message:
"We're ready to share some BIG news.
Pile O' Bones Brewing Co. is nearly finished construction of a new state of the art brewing facility and Taproom in Regina's Cathedral area - in the shadow of the iconic Mosaic Stadium!

Our new facility is roughly 5x the size of our current Scarth Street brew house - and we're not scared.

A full service Tap Room features 32 taps of strictly Saskatchewan's best craft beer. Similarly, spirits will be 100% sourced from Saskatchewan distilleries.
With full service kitchen - Pile O' Bones has teamed up with Chef Mariana and Malinche. Mariana hailing from Tijuana, Mexico where she attended Culinary Arts School, traveled the world and moved to Canada to pursue her dreams of sharing, teaching and healing through her dishes.

Malinche is the place where delicious, surprising, sustainable and healthy dishes are shaped thanks to millennial Mexican recipes and the freshest ingredients from the Canadian prairie. Malinche is our channel to tell stories about Canadian field, Mexican culture and the struggle to protect our planet."

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 8:11 PM

There's a building on Saskatchewan Drive that's being extensively renovated. Painted black w/ a few overhead garage doors added. Maybe that's it?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
There's a building on Saskatchewan Drive that's being extensively renovated. Painted black w/ a few overhead garage doors added. Maybe that's it?
Definitely on Sask Drive. What a fantastic location to stop before or after a game. It will do wonders for that strip as well. I'm also a big fan of their beer!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
Yes that is it. They also plan to have a tailgate party patio with actual tailgates.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 5:40 PM

To follow up on this, I believe it's this building:

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.4496...7i13312!8i6656

Here's to hoping it spurs more development on that section of Sask Drive.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 5:43 PM

That's going to be awesome. Imagine a future Regina where Sask Drive is lined with pubs and cafe's for before and after game festivities, similar to Clark Street by Wrigley Field in Chicago.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
Never went in there but I did't realize they closed that location. Smart of them and Brewed Awakening to close underperforming locations quickly before they bleed to whole company dry.
Which Brewed Awakening locations closed?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan