HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
What is the timeline for that? And are they doing the same color? Or are they changing it up, also why has the kensington/Frankford side never been redone like the west Philly Side?

I think it was a big mess up by Septa to not make the EL track Gauge the same as Broad St so they can just buy one fleet of cars for all the lines.
the east side was rebuilt in the 90s or early 2000s- but it was not a teardown like they did in west philly. I seriously doubt they will change the color and the project will be underway this year.

https://www5.septa.org/bulletins/mar...ct-fact-sheet/

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Helen Gym is against it. That’s all you need to know.
If the Steve Keeley's and Helen Gym's are BOTH against it, you know it's a good project

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
I think the BSL cars are too wide for the MFL tunnels tight turning radius. I do have to agree that Septa should have bit the bullet and turned into standard gauge to possible connect with the NHSL. We are stuck with the Pennsylvania gauge for both trolleys and the MFL.

Is that the reason why the EL is so loud between Spring Garden all the way up to FTC because the structure was horribly rebuilt?
the costs of changing out all the track to a new gauge would be astronomical. That is not some minor undertaking- hell, it may not even be possible. NOt only that, the dimensions of the cars are limited by the actual tunnel size, especially in turns. You can't just swap cars between lines when the lines were developed totally independent of each other. They don't even have the same third rail setup.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 4:17 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Helen Gym is against it. That’s all you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
If the Steve Keeley's and Helen Gym's are BOTH against it, you know it's a good project
Fair points

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
A classic for sure
According to whom? Stephen Abootman?????

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 6:37 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
According to whom? Stephen Abootman?????

"My fellow Canadians, for too long we have been pushed around and ridiculed!"

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
all that sounds good, but east of Broad is lagging big time. LOTS of vacancies and very little in the way of active construction in retail sites.
Yeah, (I think it’s) the 1100 Block of Chestnut Street, south side…is 100% vacant. Not a single open business.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 3:08 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Yeah, (I think it’s) the 1100 Block of Chestnut Street, south side…is 100% vacant. Not a single open business.
1200 block you mean? 1200 block looks awful, but I think a few restaurants are in the works on that block or the 1300 block.

South side of 1100 block of Chestnut is mostly occupied.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9504...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 3:19 PM

Yeah, Barcade is opening on Chestnut and Juniper and the people from Tradesman’s and Bru are opening a restaurant in the old Luxe Home on the 1300 block. The 1200 block is pretty bleak but Wicked Wolf bar just opened in the old Porta/Sugar Factory space.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 3:23 PM

Hey All! Check out my "Philadelphia 2022 - Charm Around Every Corner Part 2 photo thread in the link below. I'm sure you'll enjoy

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...94#post9831794

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 4:12 PM
Me?!?

Memphis Taproom is closing on 01/29

https://www.inquirer.com/food/restau...-20230105.html

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Memphis Taproom is closing on 01/29

https://www.inquirer.com/food/restau...-20230105.html
This has me so, so sad. I live right around the corner. This has been my bar since moving to the neighborhood almost two years ago

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 8:46 PM

Bummer; didn't they own resurrection ale house in g-ho? Was sad when that closed too. At least they have a replacement lined up.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2023, 7:25 PM

A permit has been issued for the building directly next to the Beury Building project!

Quote:

ZP-2022-013847
Jan 6, 2023
3705 N BROAD ST, Philadelphia, PA 19140-3607
3709 N BROAD STREET LLC 5

FOR THE ERECTION OF A EIGHT FLOOR ADDITION OF AN EXISTING TWO(2) STORY SEMI-DETACHED STRUCTURE ON THE SAME LOT AS PREVIOUSLY APPROVED STRUCTURE REMAINS ( SEE APPLICATION# ZP-2021-002872 FOR PERMIT) WITH THIRTY-EIGHT(38) ACCESSORY SURFACE PARKING SPACES , TWO(2) VAN ACCESSIBLE SPACES; 11 COMPACT PARKING SPACES, THREE(3) ELECTRIC VAN SPACES ; TWO(2) RESERVOIR SPACES, TWO(2) LOADING SPACES, AND 42 1A CLASS BICYCLE SPACES IN AN ACCESSIBLE ROUTE. FOR A VISITOR ACCOMMODATION FROM FIRST FLOOR THRU TENTH(10TH) FLOORS ON THE SAME LOT VACANT COMMERCIAL SPACE WITH MULTI-FAMILY HOUSEHOLD LIVING( 113 DWELLING UNITS) AS PREVIOUSLY APPROVED STRUCTURE.SIZE AND LOCATION AS SHOWN IN THE APPLICATION

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jan 7, 2023, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
A permit has been issued for the building directly next to the Beury Building project!
Good- so ready for this checkers to be knocked down. The progress on the main building seems very very slow.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2023, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I was just at Broad and Erie today and noticed the fencing around the area. This is a fantastic area with good bones. I know it's not great at the moment but if they can do some massive traffic calming in the area and add more tall buildings that is would bring it back to life.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2023, 9:20 PM

My personal theory is that Jefferson kills the energy on the east side of Broad once you get to 11th street, unlike the west side which give you retail and restaurants all the way to the park. That being said, the areas immediately adjacent to Jefferson (specifically Walnut Street) have always been vibrant, even throughout covid, due to the presence of college students.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2023, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
I was just at Broad and Erie today and noticed the fencing around the area. This is a fantastic area with good bones. I know it's not great at the moment but if they can do some massive traffic calming in the area and add more tall buildings that is would bring it back to life.
the city is planning a major redesign of the broad/erie/germantown intersection. The fencing has been around the checkers site for 2-3 years at least- nothing has happened. I have no idea why they havent at least torn down the building which is a major eyesore.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
Bummer; didn't they own resurrection ale house in g-ho? Was sad when that closed too. At least they have a replacement lined up.
I think those owners sold Memphis Taproom years ago. They still have Local 44 and Clarksville over in Spruce Hill.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I think those owners sold Memphis Taproom years ago. They still have Local 44 and Clarksville over in Spruce Hill.
Neighborhood lore has it that they divorced; one took Clarkeville and the other took Local44

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development