HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Dec 25, 2018, 7:38 AM

I'm all in if they can make it work.

City, State, Tri-Met, and MLB would need to all want this though. Was unhappy that the PPS site wasn't used (best location for mass transit in the city) but maybe in five/ten years we will have a water taxi service plus streetcar/high density in this cubby hole. Heck maybe the idea I floated years ago for a river gondola/tram service from the South Willamette district North to the Rose Quarter (could go up to Terminal 2) will be given a hearing/study. Think zig-zag (not the paper product!) placement to both banks of the river. Nice tourist asset for views of city/river as well.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
The concept for the ballpark sure is fantastic.

I'm curious about that too. Even if the streetcar was extended that far north, it can't handle that kind of ridership. The MAX barely can for Blazer games. People sometimes forget how much smaller the streetcar is compared to the MAX.

That's the only thing I'm disappointed about with this concept. I wish it was on a MAX line. In a perfect world, it would have access to both MAX and the streetcar... but then again, in a perfect world, we'd already have an MLB team & it would be celebrating a 2018 championship
It would be a mistake to build a stadium without integrating mass transit. The streetcar would not work in this case due to the large number of people prior/after the games. This location is perfect given investment in heavy rail. Stations: Vancouver, N Portland, Terminal 2, Union Station, Milwaukie, Oregon City.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 4:09 PM

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/...-payments.html

Quote:
Deal for new Portland baseball stadium calls for 55-year lease, up to $1.5M in negotiating payments
Updated Dec 26, 6:44 PM; Posted Dec 26, 6:20 PM
By Everton Bailey Jr. | The Oregonian/OregonLive ebailey@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive

A letter of intent between the Port of Portland and a group seeking to build a Major League Baseball-caliber stadium calls for the private group to pay up to $1.5 million over two years to exclusively negotiate redevelopment of a waterfront site. The group would then pay the Port at least $900,000 a year as they build out the property, according to terms spelled out in the letter.

The Port signed off on the letter Nov. 28. The Portland Diamond Project, which is seeking to lure an MLB team to Portland, agreed the next day. The group released artist renderings of a new baseball stadium at the Port’s 45-acre Terminal 2 marine cargo site the same day.

The terms of the agreement hadn’t been publicly released since the proposed site announcement. A copy of the letter of intent and its attachments were obtained by The Oregonian/OregonLive through a public records request.

[Read the documents]
...(continues)

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 9:37 PM
A before E

My suspicion is that the PDP is in private talks with a team about the potential of moving to Portland....with the news about the Tampa Devil Rays, I think it is them. A two year hold would give them plenty of time to present a proposal the the Rays without having to be concerned about losing their property they have secured for a stadium.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
My suspicion is that the PDP is in private talks with a team about the potential of moving to Portland....with the news about the Tampa Devil Rays, I think it is them. A two year hold would give them plenty of time to present a proposal the the Rays without having to be concerned about losing their property they have secured for a stadium.
Would moving the Ray's, A's to Portland. also require Franchise Ownership to be sold to the PDP?. I am not convinced yet that the PDP would settle for a minor ownership role. IMO an expansion Team is what is their ultimate goal is.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 9:04 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural View Post
Would moving the Ray's, A's to Portland. also require Franchise Ownership to be sold to the PDP?. I am not convinced yet that the PDP would settle for a minor ownership role. IMO an expansion Team is what is their ultimate goal is.
That all depends on the investors in PDP, though I think they are keeping all of their options open including partnering with a current owner. Of course there is also moving a team that includes the option to sell to PDP.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 4:45 AM
Registered Ugly

Quote:

Group still swinging for the fences
Mar 19, 2019 at 8:08 AM by Josh Kulla

The possibility of Major League Baseball arriving in Portland has captured the imagination of many people in the region. Supporters were particularly excited when the group dedicated to the effort, the Portland Diamond Project, last year released conceptual renderings of a possible new stadium that could be built on the Port of Portland’s Terminal 2.
Source: http://djcoregon.com/news/2019/03/19...inging-fences/

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 1:41 AM

https://www.oregonlive.com/mlb/2019/...enderings.html

Quote:
Portland Diamond Project celebrates, releases new stadium renderings
Updated Apr 10, 4:51 PM; Posted Apr 10, 4:40 PM

By John Canzano | The Oregonian/OregonLive

The Portland Diamond Project celebrated an anniversary on Wednesday by releasing new renderings of the proposed Major League Baseball ballpark it would like to build.

Founder Craig Cheek and managing partner Mike Barrett both joined me on the Bald Faced Truth radio show (12-3p weekdays on Portland’s 102.9-FM) to talk about the progress and answer questions.

Listen to my interview with Cheek here.

Listen to my interview with Barrett here.
...(continues)

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 4:59 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

The bottom picture shows... a tram?

EDIT: Ah, some googling led me to this, from PDX Monthly in late 2018:

Quote:
The colorful renderings of the dream stadium contain a more intriguing question: a mystery gondola, ferrying baseball fans to and from the stadium (or possibly between locations inside the stadium). A media representative for the PDP couldn’t confirm what the gondola was, but called it a “concept.” Subsequently, the Oregonian reported the gondola is actually a spectator tram to give fans a presumably better view over the outfield. OK, then!
The concept for the ballpark seems to have changed a bit since then, perhaps not for the better (though these are still early concepts that'll probably be radically different than what actually gets built - if anything) but the gondolas remain.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 6:26 AM

I think it could engage the waterfront far better. What is that...parking on the waterfront in that first rendering?

I know there likely isn't the density there (yet), to support more restaurants and shops along the water, but it would be great to get a nice dinner at a place right on the water before a game (it would be nice if someday Portland had some real urbanity along the water somewhere instead of just parks). Failing that, it seems like the stadium could do a better job of acknowledging its location and make some gesture towards the water.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxf View Post
I think it could engage the waterfront far better. What is that...parking on the waterfront in that first rendering?
Just no. ANY parking between the waterfront and the stadium is so entirely fucked up that it nearly negates any good design work. Not that I'm particularly enthralled by this version. I'd prefer something with a little more openness. The boxiness of it bothers me for some reason.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 7:21 PM
Registered Ugly

There is literally no way that any of the "renderings" released to-date have any basis in reality. I could've mocked a better version up an I didn't go to architecture school.

These are merely concepts for the press to keep it on the radar. The average eye of the beholder is not going to recognize the deficiencies.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 5:53 AM
RCTID

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
There is literally no way that any of the "renderings" released to-date have any basis in reality. I could've mocked a better version up an I didn't go to architecture school.

These are merely concepts for the press to keep it on the radar. The average eye of the beholder is not going to recognize the deficiencies.
It’s not like these were drawn up and designed by TVA and Populous. They don’t have any idea what they are doing and surely aren’t qualified.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 6:29 AM
Registered Ugly

Par for the course, but Twitter is going to town on this.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 8:53 PM
A before E

This was just a keep things fresh in people's mind update. No actual new news and I wouldn't pay any attention to these renderings because all they are meant to do is give us an idea what a pro ballpark would look in this location.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 6:24 AM
Registered Ugly

Quote:

Questions Surround Proposed Portland Ballpark Site as Deadline Looms
May 5, 2019 at 5:00 PM by Zach Spedden

With a key deadline approaching, questions are being raised about whether access and zoning concerns over the proposed Portland ballpark site can be addressed. Portland Diamond Project has been leading the push to bring Major League Baseball to the Oregon city, with a proposed ballpark at the Port of Portland’s Terminal 2 at the center of its effort.
Source: https://ballparkdigest.com/2019/05/0...eadline-looms/

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 12:07 AM

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...potential.html

Quote:
Portland Diamond Project gets 6-month extension to study port site’s baseball stadium potential
Updated May 28, 2019; Posted May 28, 2019
By Elliot Njus | The Oregonian/OregonLive

The Portland Diamond Project will get up to six more months to study a Northwest Portland marine cargo terminal as a potential baseball stadium site before it has to commit.

The group of investors aiming to bring a Major League Baseball team to Portland said it would pay the Port of Portland, which owns the terminal, $37,500 a month for up to six months during the extension.

Under its original agreement with the port, the investment group faced a deadline Tuesday to secure exclusive negotiating rights — and pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for those rights. It would also have had to agree to stop looking at other sites.

But the port site, which sits northwest of the Fremont Bridge, comes with tricky transportation and zoning problems that the Portland Diamond Project has only just begun to address in conversations with city bureaus.

The site lies far from Portland’s light rail network, served only by an infrequent bus line. A Portland Streetcar extension could get closer but would struggle to serve ballpark-sized crowds.
...(continues)

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 9:17 PM
A before E

This is good news, this is a huge plan to undertake and isn't something that will happen quickly. MLB isn't known for their speed, Portland has to be in it for the long haul for this to pay off and right now we are the only city that has been taking serious moves to acquire an expansion team.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 1:58 AM

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/...-portland.html

Quote:
Rumors fly over Lloyd Center as MLB baseball stadium site in Portland
Posted Jul 31, 6:30 PM
By Elliot Njus | The Oregonian/OregonLive

The Portland Diamond Project says it’s pushing ahead on a plan for a baseball stadium at a Northwest Portland cargo terminal, but rumors are flying over another potential site: the Lloyd Center mall.

The rumor has circulated within the real estate industry, as well as within Portland City Hall, though no one reached by reporters claimed to have direct knowledge of any talks between the Diamond Project — a group of investors hoping to bring Major League Baseball to Portland — and the mall’s owners.

The Diamond Project, for its part, said those rumors didn’t start within its own ranks. Spokesman John McIsaac said the Port of Portland’s little-used Terminal 2 remains its preferred site, and it’s paid $37,500 to extend its negotiations with the Port through August.
...(continues)

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 5:38 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

WOW!

The mall is dead, but wow, what an opportunity with such a huge piece of land. It's a one in a lifetime opportunity.

They could extend the streetcar a few blocks further east to connect directly to it. The MAX already has a fantastic connection to it.

What an opportunity! This would make so much sense if they could pull it off.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment