HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 10:09 PM

So we have the Roxbury Group Bonstelle Theatre Hotel, The 2 Mid towers and the SOMA buildings with the Target store all starting within a couple blocks from one another by fall of this year?

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 11:47 PM
Detroiter4life

The Lafayette West development officially broke ground today....
Construction finally begins on large Detroit upscale housing development

Quote:
The $133 million Lafayette West, 1401 Rivard St. near I-375, will consist of six five-story buildings with a mix of 230 rental apartments and 88 for-purchase condos. It is scheduled to open in spring 2023.

A full 20% of the apartments will be set aside at below-market rents for income-qualified residents, a requirement for the project's use of development incentives.

The market-rate rents have yet to be announced, although asking prices for the condos will start at $234,000 for a small one-bedroom, $399,000 for a large one-bedroom and $595,000 for a two-bedroom unit, according to the development's website.
https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...nt/9804790002/

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitMan View Post
The Lafayette West development officially broke ground today....
Construction finally begins on large Detroit upscale housing development

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...nt/9804790002/
Weird, its been under construction for a few months now. A few of the buildings already have cores topped out. I don't understand this trend towards hosting "groudbreaking" ceremonies long after ground has actually been broken.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 11:38 PM

Historic Detroit Mansion Converted Into Bed And Breakfast

Quote:
After four years of renovations, a historic mansion on Jefferson has been converted to an upscale bed-and-breakfast inn.

The Frederick K. Stearns house was built for a businessman in 1903, the Free Press reports:

(New owners Rachel and Eric Mitchell of Troy) set out to recapture the mansion's original splendor and transform it from an assortment of offices into a one-of-a-kind inn with 10 unique, full bedroom suites.

They plan to officially open June 11 as the Frederick Stearns Historical Inn. Nightly rates could range from about $400 to $600, and include a chef-made breakfast. The couple hasn't disclosed their total spending on the project.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 12:18 AM

Community leaders break ground on $9M development at A.B. Ford Park in Jefferson Chalmers

Quote:
DETROIT (WXYZ) — Mayor Mike Duggan, community leaders and representatives from the Penske Corporation broke ground today on a new 8,116-square-foot state-of-the-art solar-powered community center at A.B. Ford Park in Jefferson Chalmers along the Detroit riverfront.

The new facility will serve as a community resource and sustainable resilience hub during emergencies, replacing the Lenox Center, which has been vacant for almost a decade and deemed unusable as it is located within the FEMA flood plain. The center will include flexible space for indoor youth sports and community events, classrooms, and a quiet learning space.
Quote:
A.B. Ford Park Redesign

In addition to the community center, A.B. Ford Park will be redesigned with $2.13 million from the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA). The redesign will feature enhanced connectivity throughout the park with a new walkway system and promenade connecting the community center to the waterfront; an active zone including outdoor fitness equipment, playgrounds for children ages 2-12, picnic areas and fishing areas with riverfront seating and patio event space for the community center.

$700M plan to aims to rebuild 5 Detroit schools, reopen 7 previously-closed schools

Quote:
DETROIT, MI (WXYZ) — The Detroit Public Schools Community District is being reimagined. Last week, the school board unanimously approved a $700 million plan that includes rebuilding five schools and reopening seven previously-closed schools over the next five years.

One of the schools set to be rebuilt is Pershing High School. It will be one of the district's largest investments. The legacy school opened its doors in the 1930s and since then has seen generations of families graduate as doughboys.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 11:31 PM

Looks like Google finally updated the 3D satellite view of Downtown Detroit area recently to fall of 2021. So can see some of the construction of stuff like the Hudson Site, Huntington Tower, City Club Apartments, Woodward West, etc.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 3:10 PM

Some photos I took today (May 25th).

Parts of City Modern.

Coda project?

Brush + Watston plus some townhomes.

I forget the name of this building, but it's looking real nice.

Saw some workers around the UA building.

The Godfrey in Corktown.

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 6:20 PM
Detroiter4life

The Illitches have released an updated vision for District Detroit and the area around U-M's new Innovation Center. IF this actually gets built, it will truly change the face of the west side of downtown..

Expanded Detroit Center for Innovation vision includes hotel, parks, community space

Quote:
Anchored by the $250 million Detroit Center for Innovation, a University of Michigan graduate school campus focused on research and innovation, the updated Ross/Ilitch plan would bring a long-envisioned new hotel to the unused land south of the arena, new office and retail space on the Woodward-fronting surface parking lots for Comerica Park, more commercial development along Columbia Street and affordable and market-rate residential space along Park Avenue.

Some of the development unveiled today — the Woodward project (originally residential), the hotel on Henry Street and a community space over I-75 (long envisioned as retail) — has conceptually been on the Ilitch family's Olympia Development of Michigan's real estate company's drawing boards, Crain's has previously reported, although none of it has gotten off the ground.
https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...ommunity-space

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 7:18 PM
Registered Ugly

As you alluded with the IF, I won't hold my breath.

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 8:06 PM

I think there's room to be cautiously optimistic since Related and Stephen Ross are on board. Cordish and Olympia were partners once, but Olympia could only handle one project at a time when that partnership was no more. Related is an experienced developer and I think Ross will be in a more active role in the partnership and possibly get some things done.

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 9:57 PM

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
As you alluded with the IF, I won't hold my breath.
Same. Even one of the proposed concepts turning into reality would be cool but so far Olympia hasn't really proven capable of anything other than what someone else is spending money for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCres View Post
I think there's room to be cautiously optimistic since Related and Stephen Ross are on board. Cordish and Olympia were partners once, but Olympia could only handle one project at a time when that partnership was no more. Related is an experienced developer and I think Ross will be in a more active role in the partnership and possibly get some things done.
I know some time ago Olympia seemed to go through a bit of a shakeup with various partners (and maybe even internally)... but until I start seeing crews out on these empty plots of land, I'll just assuming they'll stay concepts for now.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 12:39 AM

I see no reason why Related run projects wouldn't get built. Ross is not a liar or a schmuck.

The office building and hotel look very fleshed out and if they want to break ground in a couple of years they must have concrete plans. As for the other conceptual stuff, who knows when that would happen but it's nice to know they have a vision.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Dyke Brown View Post
Its weird to be that they included the Statler and the Madison-Lenox in this. As we know, the Madison-Lenox was illegally demolished by the Ilitches and the Statler was demolished and is now a new City Club Apartments building. Kind of makes me think this graphic has been recycled from previous Ilitch "announcements".

To me, this is just another laughable PR excuse to get Detroiters to continue to believe the Ilitches intend to redevelop their vacant properties and parking lots. Nothing will happen. Maybe, if we're lucky, the Innovation Center might get built with Related's backing. I doubt if anything else will get built or renovated.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
Its weird to be that they included the Statler and the Madison-Lenox in this. As we know, the Madison-Lenox was illegally demolished by the Ilitches and the Statler was demolished and is now a new City Club Apartments building. Kind of makes me think this graphic has been recycled from previous Ilitch "announcements".

To me, this is just another laughable PR excuse to get Detroiters to continue to believe the Ilitches intend to redevelop their vacant properties and parking lots. Nothing will happen. Maybe, if we're lucky, the Innovation Center might get built with Related's backing. I doubt if anything else will get built or renovated.
Ehh, I think it's less nefarious than that. There aren't a lot of 3D models of downtown Detroit that are up-to-date.

GIS, which is where the data these 3D cityscape models are often from, only updates whenever the local municipality does a survey of the buildings currently there. The last time Detroit did a survey was seemingly around 2001-2002.

From there, whatever entity uses that data to make alterations probably only changes what they need to change to present their ideas and aren't really worried about what buildings are outside of the scope of their focus since that's just extra time consuming work.

As someone who has worked on 3D building models just for modding purposes, if I'm not getting paid to go and and delete and/or remodel buildings unrelated to my employer's main focus, then I'm not touching them.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Dyke Brown View Post
do i spy the 75 park cap again

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 1:49 AM

OMA to transform derelict bakery in Detroit into gallery and artist studios

Quote:
The New York office of Dutch architecture studio OMA has revealed plans to turn a commercial bakery in Detroit into a mixed-use art and education facility named Lantern.

The studio will renovate and extend a 22,300-square-foot (2072-square-metre) complex in Detroit's East Village to create the arts facility, which will be arranged around a public courtyard.

Working with JJ and Anthony Curis, the co-founders of Detroit’s Library Street Collective – a commercial gallery in Downtown Detroit – OMA will transform the bakery into the headquarters for non-profits Signal-Return and PASC.

The complex will include gallery spaces, affordable artist studios, and spaces for "creative retail".

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 10:55 PM

Keith Bradford Named President of Olympia Development and The District Detroit

Quote:
Prior to joining Ilitch Holdings, Bradford spent 23 years with Walt Disney World in Orlando, including almost nine years as vice president of Disney Springs. At that position, he lead the effort to double the size of Downtown Disney and rebrand the product to Disney Springs. As part of the redevelopment, Brandford and his team added more than 13 new restaurants and 70 new retail locations to the existing portfolio.
Link: https://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news...trict-detroit/

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 11:12 PM

He has been with Olympia for 4 years. I think this may be a non-story.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 10:51 PM
Detroiter4life

Another update on the District Detroit, the hotel planned next to the LCA will be an Equinox Hotel.
Equinox hotel planned in downtown Detroit as part of Ross-Ilitch project

Quote:
Ross, chairman of New York City-based developer Related Cos., said the hotel will be designed to host visiting professional sports teams, capitalizing on the city's unique position as home to four pro franchises.

"It'll be an Equinox hotel with gyms, and all the sports teams will be staying there," Ross said. "There'll be a special floor for them to work out because all four of the major sports are located right there."

Ross offered additional details of the project Wednesday during a discussion at the Mackinac Policy Conference moderated by renowned sportscaster Mike Tirico. Keith Bradford, president of Ilitch-owned Olympia Development; Andrew Cantor, executive vice president of development at Related; and Lt. Gov. Garlin Gilchrist II also participated.
https://www.crainsdetroit.com/mackin...ilitch-project

Last edited by DetroitMan; Jun 1, 2022 at 11:02 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations