HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 12:35 AM
Get me out of here

4 alarm fire burning right now at Mission Bay. Anybody know which building/block this is?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 1:12 AM

I believe this is Block 5, aka MB360 under construction by BRE.

This fire is just massive and sure to be a total loss:

Last edited by minesweeper; Mar 12, 2014 at 1:30 AM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 1:29 AM

There is also a fire on an outdoor balcony near the roof of the Smith Cardiovascular Research Building on the UCSF Mission Bay Campus, 1 block away from the main fire.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 3:13 AM

It's a big fire. The smoke cloud was visible from ocean beach (at first I thought it was a fire on twin peaks, mt. sutro, or maybe forest hill), and I could clearly see the flames from twin peaks a couple hours ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
There is also a fire on an outdoor balcony near the roof of the Smith Cardiovascular Research Building on the UCSF Mission Bay Campus, 1 block away from the main fire.
Weird coincidence. Or is it? Where's my tinfoil hat...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 3:33 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesweeper View Post
I believe this is Block 5, aka MB360 under construction by BRE.

This fire is just massive and sure to be a total loss:...
can confirm it is block 5. got home too late to get good pics. helicopters circling overhead and firefighters still on the scene

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 4:09 AM

BRE Properties Mission BAy 360

A view of today's catastrophic fire at Mission Bay. I saw the fire at about 5:00pm and watched it till it died down about 1-1/2 hours later. From what I saw from my apartment (Essex Fox Plaza) I strongly suspect arson. I was shocked to see this complex burn to the ground in so short a time. In the 43 years I have lived in my apartment this is by far the largest one I have witnessed.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 5:53 AM

BRE put out a press release tonight:

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO, March 12, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- BRE Properties, Inc. (NYSE: BRE), a leading owner, operator and developer of high-quality apartment communities in targeted growth markets in California and Seattle, today confirmed that a fire occurred at its MB360 development project in the Mission Bay area of San Francisco.

At this time, the cause of the fire is not known and no injuries have been reported.

The Company issued the following statement:

At about 5:00 pm today, a fire occurred at Block 5 of our MB360 development project located in the Mission Bay district of San Francisco. The structure contains 172 units under construction. Fire and police officials are on the scene and working to contain the fire. Thankfully, the project was safely evacuated and all associates and contractors have been accounted for. The safety of our associates, contractors and the community is our number one priority. Our Block 11 site which is part of the MB360 development project and contains 188 units under construction was not affected. We extend our thanks and gratitude to the fire and emergency services personnel for their rapid response.

We are currently assessing the situation, including the cause of the fire, and we will be consulting with the appropriate authorities.

We carry comprehensive insurance coverage for events such as this including hard cost replacement, soft costs and loss of revenue. We believe any losses to the Company caused by the fire should be covered by insurance and will not have a material effect on our financial condition , operating results, or pending merger transaction.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 7:08 AM

[QUOTE=Jerry of San Fran;6490021]From what I saw from my apartment (Essex Fox Plaza) I strongly suspect arson. QUOTE]

Because you're a fire expert and you can tell what happened from Fox Plaza, right?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
A view of today's catastrophic fire at Mission Bay. ...

wow, that is quite the shot

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 7:40 AM
She needs her space

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv94117 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
From what I saw from my apartment (Essex Fox Plaza) I strongly suspect arson.
Because you're a fire expert and you can tell what happened from Fox Plaza, right?
Hmmm, no suspicions yet on my part, though it is not too far fetch'ed. The cause of the Santana Row fire was never determined. Lots of extremist groups born out of the area have certainly acted on their beliefs by causing arson before.

According to the news, sprinkler pipes were installed already, but sprinklers themselves were not installed/active. Also, they looked into the histories of both BRE and Suffolk Construction and found nothing out of the ordinary, and in fact Suffolk was "Safe Contractor of the Year" or something to that effect.

While we may criticize this building as being cheap or poorly designed, the fact remains that a team poured a lot of their heart and soul into making this building work, some groups or a group had a lot of money invested in this project, this project was going to contain affordable housing, and now hundreds of surrounding residents are displaced now as a result. Thankfully no one was seriously hurt, but if this is arson in the name of anti-development/no wall on waterfront sentiments, then I hope those involved are caught and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 9:02 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
It's a big fire. The smoke cloud was visible from ocean beach (at first I thought it was a fire on twin peaks, mt. sutro, or maybe forest hill), and I could clearly see the flames from twin peaks a couple hours ago.
First saw the smoke cloud at JFK and Crossover in Golden Gate Park, and my biking partner and I agreed it seemed like the fire was in the park itself. As we progressed eastward, we thought it was in the Haight...then the Western Addition...then maybe Duboce Triangle...the maybe around Market and Guerrero...nope.

He lives in a midrise on top of Mint Hill so we went up to his roof and were stunned to realize how far the fire was--for so many, many miles it had seemed so close because the smoke plume was so dense and so tall. There were people up there with binoculars and a police scanner. It was surreal. The flames were easily 150 ft. in the air.

Biggest fire I've ever seen.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 4:27 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
Channel 4's helicopter caught that second fire, but no one in the newsroom noticed. Later, the helicopter went back to that spot, the fire was out and you could see what looked like a policeman standing there with a fire extinguisher nearby. Still, the commentators didn't see it (they were talking about their Twitter feed or something). That guy alone might have saved that building, yet no one seemed to notice!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
The flames were easily 150 ft. in the air.

Biggest fire I've ever seen.
Same, it was crazy. According to the news it was the biggest fire in SF in 20 years, the previous one being a multi-building fire in the Haight (which i vaguely remember).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran
In the 43 years I have lived in my apartment this is by far the largest one I have witnessed.
Did you miss that huge Folsom street fire in 1981? It was the largest since 1906, and destroyed around 20 buildings. Seems like you would have had an amazing view of it from your place.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 5:24 PM

To claim this was arson at this point is irresponsible and dangerous.

and the only ones losing out, besides the temporarily displaced neighbors, is the insurance companies. $1 billion umbrella policies exist for reasons like this. The investors and contractors will be made whole, and start again. Thank God nobody was hurt or killed! It looked Armageddon like.

This also concerns me, that hundreds of firefighters were required for this one building. During the next big quake and fire in SF, I shudder to think of the scene then..

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post

This also concerns me, that hundreds of firefighters were required for this one building. During the next big quake and fire in SF, I shudder to think of the scene then..
The SFFD has over 1,000 firefighters, and this fire took 150 to control, so there's still plenty of manpower. It's also worth noting that this building's lack of a fire-suppression system made it go up in flames way faster than normal. But yeah, the big one is still gonna suck big time.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 8:10 PM
Build Baby Build

SFGate suggests welding may be the cause, which makes a lot more sense than arson, especially since it was during work hours and not overnight. http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...se-5310255.php

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 3:55 AM

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...ana-row-blaze/

The SJ Fire Chief who fought the 2002 Santana Row fire calls this Mission Bay fire the larger of the two fires.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 4:42 AM

since my computer is in a cooperative mood this evening, here was the scene looking south down Fourth around 7:30p. not the best pic, but mostly it looked like they were lifting pieces off the burnt-out structure, and amazingly, still keeping a stream of water on a smoldering hotspot in one corner.

and here a before/after from Channel, looking south through the passageway between blocks 13E Mercy Housing and 13W 'Sol'. Saturday

tonight

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 4:54 AM

John King went out of his way to contrast Fourth St with King St and northern MB in general today:

Quote:
What's been missing until now is the piece in the middle, the residential blocks that, theoretically, will serve as the crossroads of the new neighborhood. Fourth Street is to be lined with small-scale retail, a contrast to the franchised anonymity along King Street on the north side of Mission Creek.

The new flock of buildings also are intended as a lively contrast to the scene near the ballpark, where early residential blocks blurred into a monotonous procession of stucco cubes.

Aesthetically, the push to loosen up could boomerang: The projects on the south side of Mission Creek are locked in by the 1997 development plan at low-to-moderate heights, just like their predecessors to the north. But city planners want a more varied appearance in the blocks now being developed, so projects are designed to look like a cluster of small buildings even as they fill entire blocks. ...

No matter how the buildings turn out, the neighborhood will be more varied than cynics might expect.

Thirty percent of the 6,000 total housing units are reserved for low-income residents. Parks are mapped to weave throughout the blocks. On Third Street the San Francisco Police Department is building a new headquarters.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 1:32 PM

I don't know why this is in the Seattle paper, but here is a rough outline of UCSF's plans for blocks 33 and 34:

- 160-foot, 275k-sf tower at north end, opening as soon as 2017 (a little surprised by the height here given the helipad right across 3rd and the flight path coming in along 16th, but 16th and 3rd is intended to be a focus corner for MB)

- 90-foot, 500-space parking garage in the middle opening as soon as 2020

- 90-foot, 225k-sf building at south end, opening as soon as 2022

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development