HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 26, 2013, 9:39 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Changing Perspectives @ Mission Bay

It's really nice to have you back timbad--your absence was noted!

As one who used to do business there in the 90s, I agree that the disappearance of the final remnants of the old structures indeed creates new perspectives.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 8:24 PM
heavy user of walkability

a bit more from around the 'hood...

the scaffolding has come down from around the east side and NE corner of block 2. here are a couple views from across Third:

and from Channel, the north side:

south side of block 3 also now revealed:

a bit more of the glass has gone in on the front of the public safety building, and, unseen in the pic, has started to wrap around the rear of both the north and south sides:

block 13W 'Sol' rising:

sort of a random shot from the NW of blocks 13E and block 5, the latter of which seems to be getting tall pretty quickly (up to 5 floors or so over a large lot):

2121 Third, which apparently is to be called 'The Gantry':

Last edited by timbad; Oct 27, 2013 at 8:35 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 11:16 PM
She needs her space

Are they building the mid-rise portion of Block 13 as well, or just the low-rise portion?

See below from Tech 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
Thanks for all the pics timbad. Might as well post some renderings of block 13:

http://www.nibbi.com/projects/mission-bay-block-13/

Boring. But hey, more housing is always good.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
Are they building the mid-rise portion of Block 13 as well, or just the low-rise portion? ...
both; they are just much farther ahead on the western (low-rise) section

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 5:36 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
It's really nice to have you back timbad--your absence was noted!
I second that. Missed your updates and glad to see you're back. Thanks for the photos.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 1:23 PM

Great photos, timbad...thanks for the update!

In another win for 499 Illinois, Medivation is taking 43,000 square feet there. That leaves just 35,000 square feet vacant, and Alexandria says it's in discussions to get that leased.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci....html?page=all

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 9:49 PM

Daggett Place/Archstone Potrero/EQR Potrero

Don't want to get my hopes too high but I noticed a backhoe at the site this morning which I don't believe was here last week. Anyone noticed any recent activity at the site?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potrero View Post
Don't want to get my hopes too high but I noticed a backhoe at the site this morning which I don't believe was here last week. Anyone noticed any recent activity at the site?
I hadn't noticed anything new, but I'll wander over tomorrow to see what I can see...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 2:02 PM

Have they removed the contaminated soil yet? They need to dig an eight foot deep hole in one area to get rid of it.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2013, 5:38 AM

Daggett Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
Have they removed the contaminated soil yet? They need to dig an eight foot deep hole in one area to get rid of it.
this is the parcel we're talking about (with added editorial comment)...

... but, altho there is a backhoe parked on the site, nothing significant has happened yet. this is from the west corner of the triangular lot:

Old Posted Nov 3, 2013, 6:40 AM

Thanks for the photos! That site sure looks depressing right now. Hopefully that will change soon...

Equity Residential (EQR) reported their Q3 earnings on Thursday. The earnings transcript is an interesting read for some inside baseball on certain rental markets. (Check here if you don't want to register to read the transcript). Anyway, here's what they said about their SF development sites:

Quote:
In addition to the $500 million of starts through the first 9 months of the year, we have 4 deals totaling nearly $800 million that could start very soon. What doesn't start in the fourth quarter this year, will likely start in the first quarter of next year; 2 of these sites are in San Francisco and 2 sites in Southern California.
Quote:
Q: Okay. And then when you're thinking about the -- going through the development pipe -- the development starts over the next couple of years, where's the bulk of those starts going to wind up being?

A: We've got 4 sites in San Francisco -- actually 5 sites in San Francisco, so that would be a pretty good market share.
According to this, the five sites are 340 Fremont, EQR Potrero, 801 Brannan, One Henry Adams, and the second Fox Plaza building. All of these have been entitled by Planning, but only EQR Potrero has building permits issued. 340 Fremont is close too. I can't read the CEO's mind, but I'm guessing those are the two that may start very soon.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2013, 6:47 AM

the little passage separating blocks 2 ('Channel MB') and 3 ('Venue') is starting to take shape. here looking east from Fourth along the south (block 3) side:

and looking west from the other end:

I'm going to assume the non-concrete gaps are for plantings, which along with the benches, bike racks, trash cans etc means the designers have pedestrians in mind too

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 7:33 PM

overall, not much earth-shattering to report...

the old warehouse next to the traffic circle is gradually being chewed into gravel, but as you can see on the right side of the pic, they have conspicuously left the rear portion of the building intact, so maybe that is not in the demo plan for now. Old Mission Bay hangs on. this is looking east:

looking south:

and also south down what used to be the passageway between this warehouse and the one that used to house the visitor center (which was on the left). block 11 ('MB 360') - which is finally going vertical again - in the background:

a bit more of the scaffolding has come down on block 3 ('Venue')... looking south down Fourth:

on block 2, a bit of a disappointment for me... the surface treatment of the two low north-facing sections - which I assume are entryways - that separate the block into its three masses, looks jarringly out of place. smooth colored glass next to brick can work, but for me this doesn't, maybe because of its opacity. looks like a piece was carved out of the Bayer/Nektar building and grafted on here. I don't get it:

the area in 'front' of the hospital looked more cleared than it has been, so maybe the work on the entry roadways and landscaping is coming soon:

an evening shot of the slowly evolving MB 'skyline':

Last edited by timbad; Nov 10, 2013 at 7:44 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 3:53 AM

Google rumored to be looking at taking either the Salesforce property in Mission Bay or the Transbay Tower.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci....html?page=all

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 7:42 AM

Google rumors

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
Google rumored to be looking at taking either the Salesforce property in Mission Bay or the Transbay Tower....
exciting! while I would love to see those MB parcels developed, I am actually rooting for the TBT, since for the City overall I think that would be a more significant outcome.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 8:19 AM

not too much new to report these days...

- blocks 5, 11, and 25 are slowing getting higher
- expect the remaining scaffolding down from blocks 2 ('Channel MB') and 3 ('Venue') any week now
- BMRs on 13E have topped out and some glass is in, but still a lot of bare wood showing
- 13W ('Sol') looks about the same as in the last pic posted
- pile-driving continues on block 12E
- they might be about to pour the sidewalk on the north side of MB Blvd N on the block immediately west of Fourth

I'm a little disappointed that block 7W hasn't started yet, since the architect himself indicated it would get going approx last summer.

also hope work starts soon on some of the park parcels - with all the new residents arriving in the next year and beyond, they will be needed.

anyway, meanwhile, the warehouse is now mostly gravel (but the rear third looks like it will stay for now):

here is a random context shot of the public safety building, where you can see the glass starting to wrap around toward the back:

Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 1:58 AM
Surrounded by Nature

http://
_MG_4948 by viewguysf, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
- expect the remaining scaffolding down from blocks 2 ('Channel MB') and 3 ('Venue') any week now ...
and well, we get our first glimpse of the brown skin on the market-rate portion of block 2 ('Channel MB'). here looking east into the alleyway between blocks 2 and 3, so at the south side of block 2 (Cirque du Soleil tent in the background) :

and here showing it with the colors of block 3 next door (I'm not sure, but I don't think the brown will be two-toned as in the photo - the darker bands looked to me to be places where some thin protective covering had not been removed yet):

speaking of block 3 ('Venue'), it also lost some scaffolding across the middle of its Fourth St side, revealing a coppery sun-screen with varied-sized rectangle cutouts. here looking south:

...north...

... and close-up:

down the street, this is looking west (as will be obvious to anyone who knows SF, given the presence of Sutro Tower in the shot) down Mission Bay Blvd North. so the Commons will be on the left, and that is block 11 ('MB 365') in the distance:

at the other end of Fourth, the UCSF office building must be at about its full height now:

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 10:15 AM

here comes Kaiser

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 6:55 PM
Only Mostly Dead

That thing has been pretty well torched on SocketSite. It looks like several different buildings were shoved together in one big pile -- a franken-building.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development