HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
Yeah when I tell friends and family visiting form out of town I always send them to the garden centers cause its cheaper. Same with the zoo, i tell them to skip it and just hit up Petland for a cheaper experience. Everyone is usually thrilled.
Also at Petland I can at least touch the animals. At the zoo they won't even let us pet the polar bears! Lame!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 11:19 PM

This conversation is actually selling me on the idea of going to Petland

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
I’m virtue signalling you right now with a hand gesture which requires lifting only one finger, guess which finger!?
I'm going to use that one in the main forum.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
perfect go to Lacoste, the rest of us that want to will go, happy to know I wont see you there!
OMG!!!!!! That is like saying, forget a museum, I will take my out of town guests and go to a thrift store. lol.or one might say for example IG Field was a Vanity project with less than a dozen games played a year. ...watch a game on TV lol. Was Canada Life Centre a Vanity project too? Not everybody paying taxes goes to a hockey game or rock concert.Where does this end?

Last edited by BAKGUY; Dec 7, 2022 at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 3:02 PM

According to some people, using private or public money to do anything other than build roads is a "vanity project". I tend to agree - when friends from out of province visit, I want to show them concrete and freeways. If they want a pool, we can go visit a filled pothole in a back alley in River Heights (the Pan Am was a vanity project); if they want to go to the zoo, we will go to Petland like others have suggested (the Zoo was a vanity project); if we want to go camping, I'll ask a farmer from Winkler if I can put a tent down in his canola field (Birds Hill was a vanity project); if I want to watch a hockey game, there are some teenagers playing on the local retention pond (Canada Life Centre was a vanity project); if I want to see records of human rights abuse, I will visit rrskylar's house (the CMHR was a vanity project)... the list could go on and on.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 3:13 PM

Anyone been to check out The Leaf yet? I would be curious to hear some impressions. The pictures give off a bit of a Changi Airport vibe with that indoor waterfall...

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Anyone been to check out The Leaf yet? I would be curious to hear some impressions. The pictures give off a bit of a Changi Airport vibe with that indoor waterfall...
It’s absolutely stunning!

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Dec 7, 2022 at 7:58 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
According to some people, using private or public money to do anything other than build roads is a "vanity project". I tend to agree - when friends from out of province visit, I want to show them concrete and freeways. If they want a pool, we can go visit a filled pothole in a back alley in River Heights (the Pan Am was a vanity project); if they want to go to the zoo, we will go to Petland like others have suggested (the Zoo was a vanity project); if we want to go camping, I'll ask a farmer from Winkler if I can put a tent down in his canola field (Birds Hill was a vanity project); if I want to watch a hockey game, there are some teenagers playing on the local retention pond (Canada Life Centre was a vanity project); if I want to see records of human rights abuse, I will visit rrskylar's house (the CMHR was a vanity project)... the list could go on and on.
Well said.
As Winnipeg prepares to reach a million people in the next dozen - 15 years, we have some great world class tourist attractions.Since tourism is our 4th largest industry, the film industry growing rapidly, I think we are on to a great future.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 8:22 PM

The Conservatory in Edmonton charges the same price for adults. I guess that's the norm for these types of things.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
The Conservatory in Edmonton charges the same price for adults. I guess that's the norm for these types of things.
Montreal Biodome is $18.75
Ripley's Aquarium in Toronto is $44!
Maybe, not like for like comparisons but $15 does not seem outrageous.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 3:37 AM

The Leaf is exceptional. For what it's worth, I much prefer it to the Muttart Conservatory in Edmonton if we're reaching for a "competitor" nationally (and the Muttart is very solid). A really stunning space. One of the highlights of Manitoba. It's that good.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
The Leaf is exceptional. For what it's worth, I much prefer it to the Muttart Conservatory in Edmonton if we're reaching for a "competitor" nationally (and the Muttart is very solid). A really stunning space. One of the highlights of Manitoba. It's that good.
Interesting.

I'm not a conservatory guy, I don't think I went to the one at Assiniboine Park since the late 80s. I lived in Edmonton and never visited the Muttart. But based on the pictures and reviews I'm seeing here, I think I might give it a go, and check out The Leaf.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 3:04 PM
arf

I need to go there and escape winter. Looks fabulous.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 7:07 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
Yeah when I tell friends and family visiting form out of town I always send them to the garden centers cause its cheaper. Same with the zoo, i tell them to skip it and just hit up Petland for a cheaper experience. Everyone is usually thrilled.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2022, 2:35 AM

I've been lurking and reading the posts for Winnipeg for the past five years, almost daily and have read my share of terrible posts. BUT I must say rrskylar has to be the most miserable. Move to winkler already. For the love of god. If you can move out of the province it's even better.

Anyways, I went to the Leaf. It's great. I'll go back to sitting back and reading now. Thanks for the great conversations over the years.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2022, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r204g View Post
I've been lurking and reading the posts for Winnipeg for the past five years, almost daily and have read my share of terrible posts. BUT I must say rrskylar has to be the most miserable. Move to winkler already. For the love of god. If you can move out of the province it's even better.

Anyways, I went to the Leaf. It's great. I'll go back to sitting back and reading now. Thanks for the great conversations over the years.
This has to be the greatest comment ever!

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Dec 11, 2022, 10:52 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by r204g View Post
Haha. That's his thing, though. You gotta love it. I am certain he is not as miserable in real life. It's his SSP persona.

speNDP.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Haha. That's his thing, though. You gotta love it. I am certain he is not as miserable in real life. It's his SSP persona.

speNDP.
Yeah so much of that nonsense seems so contrived to "outrage" I don't doubt at least some of it's persona. Of course I've also suspected that several other "persona" here are just the same person ranting under different names. Luckily, they can all be blocked.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 3:02 AM

I enjoy rrskylar’s contribution to the forum because it keeps things interesting here. No matter how much I disagree even I can admit some of his comments are quite astute and it sounds like they give a shit about the city. That’s more then I can say for a lot of people living here.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 5:33 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
I enjoy rrskylar’s contribution to the forum because it keeps things interesting here. No matter how much I disagree even I can admit some of his comments are quite astute and it sounds like they give a shit about the city. That’s more then I can say for a lot of people living here.
He keeps things lively, I agree.

This is why you all keep coming back.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan