HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 7:12 PM

The details and timelines for all the projects are still up in the air depending on the lending and investment community,
.Brehm told the Business Journal, but he said construction there would not likely begin until next year. He said the group's preference would be to begin with the hotel, which it currently envisions as the driving force of the development, but that it could pursue apartments first if that project hits any roadblocks.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 3:07 PM

Update from the San Antonio Report

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 5:17 PM
James

From the article ^^^ looking north. The hotel would be to the right. This is pretty ambitious.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 5:44 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

^^^Actually, the hotel is in the middle of the rendering - directly on the river. The building to the right is residential.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 5:48 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
^^^Actually, the hotel is in the middle of the rendering - directly on the river. The building to the right is residential.
I had to edit my original comment to say left. I clearly can't tell my right from my left.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 6:28 PM
The Space Pope

Quote:
Actually the Dream hotel isn't even pictured in that rendering... it's cut off but should be on the left directly across from the building in the forefront. Please refer to the rendering I've attached; The Dream hotel is the tallest building in the rear left and will occupy the block where Bond's 007 and former Korova Lounge currently are. By the way, the image I posted is of Convent Street facing west.

The article states that every building is around 20 stories but as of now only the Dream Hotel and another unconfirmed building on Soledad are 20 stories; the three buildings pictured in that San Antonio Report rendering are 13, 16 and 17 levels.

Last edited by starvinggryphon; Apr 27, 2021 at 11:34 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadsalmon View Post
Great article and I love the renderings. I really hope this comes to fruition.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvinggryphon View Post
Actually the Dream hotel isn't even pictured in that rendering... it's cut off but should be on the left directly across from the building in the forefront. Please refer to the rendering I've attached; The Dream hotel is the tallest building in the rear left and will occupy the block where Bond's 007 and former Korova Lounge currently are. By the way, the image I posted is of Convent Street facing west.

The article states that every building is around 20 stories but as of now only the Dream Hotel and another unconfirmed building on Soledad are 20 stories; the three pictures from the San Antonio Report rendering are 13, 16 and 17 levels.

Gotcha! I see it now. Thanks!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 1:38 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvinggryphon View Post

The article states that every building is around 20 stories but as of now only the Dream Hotel and another unconfirmed building on Soledad are 20 stories; the three buildings pictured in that San Antonio Report rendering are 13, 16 and 17 levels.

I'm loving the glass! I'm a little concerned that if there isn't enough variation in skin on these buildings that it could turn out to look a bit like a master planned mid-rise suburban corporate complex a la The Woodlands, BUT it adds density, its modern and has the residential downtown is needing.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 6:52 PM

Dream Hotel eyes 2022 for likely SA construction start

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...022-start.html

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
Dream Hotel eyes 2022 for likely SA construction start

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...022-start.html
Good news. Sounds like they're getting closer to securing construction capital. If all goes to plan, we're looking at a Fall 2024 opening for this hotel.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 3:06 AM

Question .

Does anyone have any updates?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 12:18 PM
James

Nothing yet Carlos. Just did a quick Google News search on anything new.

This is the latest article I could find that doesn't look like it was posted here,

Dream San Antonio hotel project a go despite nightmare pandemic

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Nothing yet Carlos. Just did a quick Google News search on anything new.

This is the latest article I could find that doesn't look like it was posted here,

Dream San Antonio hotel project a go despite nightmare pandemic
Jaga, that article is 15 months old (May 2020).

The most recent public info (to my knowledge) was an article posted four comments above (by Rynetwo). That one was from this past May (three months ago).

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 3:51 PM

We'd have to first see hotel vacancies decrease before we'd find any more news on this. The Artesia hotel might be the exception.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 5:59 PM
James

Quote:
Jaga, that article is 15 months old (May 2020).

The most recent public info (to my knowledge) was an article posted four comments above (by Rynetwo). That one was from this past May (three months ago).
Whoops

Thanks for the correction!

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 2:15 PM

So this project is not dead, but it looks like it is on life support. Below is the article from the Business Journal. I am glad that they got the 300 Main going before inflation took a bite out of that project. I am hoping that with the improvements in travel, that they feel that this a still a good project, even if there is a premium to it.

"By W. Scott Bailey – Senior Reporter, San Antonio Business Journal
May 17, 2022
The construction start for a new River Walk high-rise hotel remains on hold more than two years after plans for the downtown project were unveiled.

While the pandemic put a pause on the Dream San Antonio hotel development, impacting access to funding, backers are now dealing with a new hurdle — rising costs due to inflation.

“The partnership has made good progress on the capital,” said Christian Glauser Benz, senior vice president of development and acquisitions for Dream Hotel Group LLC, which is spearheading the development. “It’s been challenging given construction costs have risen due to inflationary pressures in the last 12 months.”

Preliminary plans for the hotel, pegged for a site near Soledad and E. Martin streets, indicated it could span 27 floors and house some 200-plus rooms, with a mix of entertainment spaces. In February 2020, Dream Hotel Group CEO Jay Stein said the Alamo City project could cost between $50 million and $100 million to build, depending on the ultimate size and scope of the development.

“We are going to bring something that’s a little more sophisticated than typically what’s been in that market,” he said.

Dream Hotel officials also said the new hotel, expected to take 18 to 24 months to build, would likely trigger additional downtown development as other projects were envisioned in multiple phases.

Then, the pandemic rocked the hotel industry, putting some existing properties in potential peril and planned projects in limbo.

Dream Hotel has so far stayed the course. Its leadership confirmed a year ago that the San Antonio project would proceed, with the timeline for a construction start likely pushed back to the first half of 2022.

With that window closing soon, the inflationary concerns could further impact construction. Benz noted there is no ground-breaking date set yet.
“We should have some updates soon,” he said."

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 2:38 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

I wonder if that's bad news for the non hotel parts of the development too? Another hotel I could take or leave but the additional housing in that area was going to be huge for downtown. I'm already taking it for granted they've dropped the office component.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRG1974 View Post
So this project is not dead, but it looks like it is on life support. Below is the article from the Business Journal. I am glad that they got the 300 Main going before inflation took a bite out of that project. I am hoping that with the improvements in travel, that they feel that this a still a good project, even if there is a premium to it.

"By W. Scott Bailey – Senior Reporter, San Antonio Business Journal
May 17, 2022
The construction start for a new River Walk high-rise hotel remains on hold more than two years after plans for the downtown project were unveiled.

While the pandemic put a pause on the Dream San Antonio hotel development, impacting access to funding, backers are now dealing with a new hurdle — rising costs due to inflation.

“The partnership has made good progress on the capital,” said Christian Glauser Benz, senior vice president of development and acquisitions for Dream Hotel Group LLC, which is spearheading the development. “It’s been challenging given construction costs have risen due to inflationary pressures in the last 12 months.”

Preliminary plans for the hotel, pegged for a site near Soledad and E. Martin streets, indicated it could span 27 floors and house some 200-plus rooms, with a mix of entertainment spaces. In February 2020, Dream Hotel Group CEO Jay Stein said the Alamo City project could cost between $50 million and $100 million to build, depending on the ultimate size and scope of the development.

“We are going to bring something that’s a little more sophisticated than typically what’s been in that market,” he said.

Dream Hotel officials also said the new hotel, expected to take 18 to 24 months to build, would likely trigger additional downtown development as other projects were envisioned in multiple phases.

Then, the pandemic rocked the hotel industry, putting some existing properties in potential peril and planned projects in limbo.

Dream Hotel has so far stayed the course. Its leadership confirmed a year ago that the San Antonio project would proceed, with the timeline for a construction start likely pushed back to the first half of 2022.

With that window closing soon, the inflationary concerns could further impact construction. Benz noted there is no ground-breaking date set yet.
“We should have some updates soon,” he said."
I dont feel great about this project, however, I appreciate them updating us. And the idea that they will have updates soon is nice. I just hate being in limbo and then it going silent. I'd rather here its happening or not.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2023, 8:42 PM

Despite it being 9 months since the last official update it seems like this one is still in the works maybe? Hyatt just finalized its acquisition of the Dream brand a couple weeks ago but despite that this project is still referenced on both the Dream website and the article I read (calling it a future Dream location).

Who knows about the rest of the residential/office buildings they had planned along with this one though.. maybe they are anticipating more development once the "Link" project is negotiated

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio