HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 6, 2022, 3:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxnw View Post
So funding to ground breaking needs to be on a fairly tight timeline
You think we’ll see shovels by next summer?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2022, 3:38 AM

Surprisingly underwhelming/run-of-the-mill exterior, especially compared to the eye-popping early renderings when Kengo Kuma was involved. I suspect that this one will look pretty different once it has moved through Design Review.

Other than both sites requiring a master plan, I don't see how you compare this to the Post Office site, which is publicly owned and weighed down by a profoundly burdensome process. IMO the city should master plan the public utilities, sell off each block to a different developer, and then walk away.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2022, 5:59 AM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
Surprisingly underwhelming/run-of-the-mill exterior, especially compared to the eye-popping early renderings when Kengo Kuma was involved. I suspect that this one will look pretty different once it has moved through Design Review.
Agreed. Reminds me of Cosmopolitan on the Park.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 5:48 PM

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Tower poised to set tone within RiverPlace area

A 30-story tower is in the making for Portland’s South Waterfront District.

The Portland Design Commission weighed in on plans for the high-rise for the first time on Thursday, during a design advice hearing. The development is anticipated to be the first within the newly approved RiverPlace Central City Master Plan.

The NBP Capital project’s value is $160 million, according to the Bureau of Development Services.

As designed by GBD Architects, the building would have approximately 329 residential units and rise on the southern parcel of Block 1, at 150 S. Montgomery St. The former RiverPlace Athletic Club located on the property is to be demolished, but The Douglas (apartments and townhomes) on the northern portion is to stay – for now.

No parking or retail space is planned for the development. Instead, residents would use 385 unused parking stalls nearby in The Douglas’ garage.

The eight acres between South Harbor Way, South Harbor Drive, South Montgomery Street and South Harbor Place are designated for the RiverPlace master plan. This initial tower, RiverPlace Phase 1, is poised to become the first of six potential high-rises on the site – along with thousands of new residential units, substantial office space, a new park plaza, and possibly a new regional attraction.

GBD’s design shown Thursday indicates what the new district could look like.

“Our big idea here was to reintroduce the layout, the river and the beautiful landscape of the Northwest, which is a big part of all of our everyday lives,” GBD Architects Associate Principal Michael Marcus said.

...continues at the DJC ($).

Old Posted Apr 23, 2022, 3:27 AM
BANNED

Love how these planners are going to utilize the waterfront and finally make Portland have a respectable waterfront experience

Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 5:23 AM
A before E

I am really liking the direction of this redevelopment; this is a good looking tower.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 4:49 PM

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 5:08 PM

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 12:03 AM

Riverplace tower

I wasn't able to download the pdf so flying a bit blind here. Has GBD produced a new "post-Kuma" master plan for this development within which this single tower is one component? Their website does not appear to contain anything in that regard, but if the design of this building is any indication I am prepared to be uninspired to say the least. What was the point of bringing someone like Kuma in on this to begin with - and tantalizing us with his brilliant initial concept - only to (apparently) dismiss his work entirely when all is said and done? Don't get it.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 3:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcmeGreg View Post
I wasn't able to download the pdf so flying a bit blind here. Has GBD produced a new "post-Kuma" master plan for this development within which this single tower is one component? Their website does not appear to contain anything in that regard, but if the design of this building is any indication I am prepared to be uninspired to say the least. What was the point of bringing someone like Kuma in on this to begin with - and tantalizing us with his brilliant initial concept - only to (apparently) dismiss his work entirely when all is said and done? Don't get it.
No that’s all canceled. They just brought him in to draw the plans as basically a “what if” selling mechanism. At this point I think they are just going with basic designers..

Old Posted Jun 11, 2022, 5:24 AM

Love the height of this building.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2022, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcmeGreg View Post
I hear you and am curious to find out what the backstory is. Surely someone here has a friend at GBD on speed dial? I think GBD's work is generally respectable or better but this design (even with the Yard-esque "reflected sun at sunset" rendering) seems especially predictable next to the stunning/world-class initial Kuma-based images. My guess, of course, is cost-cutting. At the very least, I hope they line the balconies up in a single vertical row. I feel like the section where they're offset is an unnecessary gimmick that also has the unfortunate effect of making the building seem wider to the eye.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 4:44 PM

Staff Report, which doesn't yet recommend approval

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 5:05 PM

Drawings [58 MB] and Appendix [35 MB]

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 9:21 PM

Quote:
First RiverPlace project in review process

Design review for a 30-story high-rise in Portland’s RiverPlace area is under way.

The Portland Design Commission got its second look at the proposal on Thursday, after a design advice meeting in April. Overall, commissioners signaled favor for the proposal, but a vote will not be called until the next hearing on Aug. 4.

The NBP Capital development, designed by GBD Architects, is anticipated to be the first to advance within the newly approved RiverPlace Central City Master Plan. It gained the City Council’s OK in early June.

The building would rise to the maximum height allowed – 325 feet – on the southern parcel of Block 1, at 150 S. Montgomery St. It would include approximately 344 residential units – 15 more than proposed previously. A recent addition to the master plan states that Phase 1 (including the Block 1 tower) must provide at least 100 multi-bedroom units.
...continues at the DJC ($)

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
I hear you and am curious to find out what the backstory is. Surely someone here has a friend at GBD on speed dial? I think GBD's work is generally respectable or better but this design (even with the Yard-esque "reflected sun at sunset" rendering) seems especially predictable next to the stunning/world-class initial Kuma-based images. My guess, of course, is cost-cutting. At the very least, I hope they line the balconies up in a single vertical row. I feel like the section where they're offset is an unnecessary gimmick that also has the unfortunate effect of making the building seem wider to the eye.
Yeah, I wonder re cost savings. GBD is trying very hard to make this one building visually "interesting" with all of the angles, notches, balcony offsets etc. Assume the same aesthetic will be applied to the balance of the project (?), which will result in a very busy, very glassy mass of buildings. Contrast that with Kuma's simple (to my mind) and elegant approach that creates a dynamic and unified "whole" for the district, quite distinct from Sowa or any other downtown area. Again, we don't have the benefit of seeing GBDs design in context with the entire development so I'm probably not being fair to them - but then again I'm sure this design was not created in a vacuum so it's only fair to extrapolate and draw conclusions.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 8:42 PM

Staff Report, which recommends approval.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 6:58 PM

Demolition permit for the Riverplace Athletic Club is under review:

Quote:
RIVERPLACE BLK 1 - DEMO - Demolition of the existing Riverplace Athletic Club. Retaining walls on the west side along S. Harbor Way will remain and will be shored. An existing concrete conduit encasement owned by PP&L will remain and removal and rerouting of that concrete conduit encasement will be coordinated by PP&L.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 7:25 PM
BANNED

Who are these ppl? I love them they move quick

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland