HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 1:19 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Whatever happened to some of those 90s brands like LABATT MAXIMUM ICE, Red Dog (I think that's what it was?) and such?
Their clientele went blind.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Sorry for resurrecting this thread. Well, no. not sorry.

Kokanee really milked that 'fresh glacial water' thing. Much like Dasani is exquisite local tap water, chilled in a 7-eleven cooler for maximum freshness.

Anyone try Bud Light Chelada? The beer and clam sensation? I bet Proof Sheet has cases hoarded away in his garage for future summer garden parties.
Kokanee Gold was a pretty good beer actually. Not sure if they still make that though.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Kokanee Gold was a pretty good beer actually. Not sure if they still make that though.
I enjoyed Kokanee Gold and the last time I had it was draft in a restaurant. I couldn't find it any store in BC in 2021 when I was last there.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 3:18 AM
Mooderator

I am not sure that Kokanee is sold east of Manitoba nowadays. I haven't seen a bottle of that stuff in over 20 years.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 5:46 AM

That sucks if Kokanee Gold isn't around anymore. It had a very refreshing feel and a good after taste.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 12:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Sorry for resurrecting this thread. Well, no. not sorry.

Kokanee really milked that 'fresh glacial water' thing. Much like Dasani is exquisite local tap water, chilled in a 7-eleven cooler for maximum freshness.

Anyone try Bud Light Chelada? The beer and clam sensation? I bet Proof Sheet has cases hoarded away in his garage for future summer garden parties.
Kokanee is/was silt-laden mountain trench runoff. (Kootenay, on the other hand, actually tasted like it was made from glacial water).

Bud Light Chelada sounds absolutely disgusting. An abortion of a beer. Somehow it sounds like it might even taste worse than Bud Light Lime, something that I didn't think could ever be possible.

The Bud Light Crowd

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 2:00 PM
the first stamp is free

^ don't knock the beer/clamato mix till you try it. It's good. Not drinking a whole 6-pack good, but a couple every now and again.

You can make the mix with any beer you have on hand, but the premixed ones are fine.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 2:03 PM

Being old and living close to the US border I've been exposed to some really shitty beer.

Dad and his friends would drink Carling Black Label.

When I started drinking beer and getting into trouble in my teens, Old Vienna and Labatt's Lite were the beers of choice.

Of course the beers for Sunday Ball Tournaments would be a choice of US swill led by Old Milwaukee, PBR, and Millar Lite. You'd get a bit of buzz but would be still able to run down a pop fly without face planting.

It appears now the the beer of choice amongst my friends and family on the prairies is Bud Lite (Canadian version).

There are a bunch of local brews across the country that are immeasurably better than the puke inducing crap the big brewers provide.

Last edited by VANRIDERFAN; Apr 10, 2023 at 9:10 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 3:17 PM

I am macrobrews all the way. There is a beer for every need. Labatt Blue tastes like heaven itself. When it's hot and I'm extra thirsty, Labatt Lite does the job. When it's Saturday night and I'm feeling rowdy, Molson Dry gives me a little extra kick.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 4:47 PM

The only macro beer I drink nowadays is Corona. Otherwise I drink exclusively BC craft beer, unless I’m travelling outside the province. I will sometimes indulge in a Labatt 50 when in Ontario.

I had a Pacifico Clara while in Los Angeles this weekend, it’s a Mexican macro beer I’ve seen all over the western US but never in Canada. It’s decent.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 6:31 PM

Quote:
I am not sure that Kokanee is sold east of Manitoba nowadays. I haven't seen a bottle of that stuff in over 20 years.
Kokanee is widely available throughout Ontario. Definitely available at almost all The Beer Store locations, many LCBOs and at a number of grocery stores from my observations.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I am macrobrews all the way. There is a beer for every need. Labatt Blue tastes like heaven itself. When it's hot and I'm extra thirsty, Labatt Lite does the job. When it's Saturday night and I'm feeling rowdy, Molson Dry gives me a little extra kick.
I use to buy the huge cans (750mL or 950mL) of Molson Dry when I was younger just because they were pretty cheap and I didn't have a lot of money. I wouldn't buy them today.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
The only macro beer I drink nowadays is Corona. Otherwise I drink exclusively BC craft beer, unless I’m travelling outside the province. I will sometimes indulge in a Labatt 50 when in Ontario.

I had a Pacifico Clara while in Los Angeles this weekend, it’s a Mexican macro beer I’ve seen all over the western US but never in Canada. It’s decent.
I've had that in Mexico and in the U.S.. It is pretty good. I have seen it in Canada but I think it was in one or two of the western provinces.

Looking online the BC Liquor stores do have it available: https://www.bcliquorstores.com/product/262626

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 7:18 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Kokanee is widely available throughout Ontario. Definitely available at almost all The Beer Store locations, many LCBOs and at a number of grocery stores from my observations.
Ah, ok. I don't buy beer in Ontario, even though I live next door. I would be a fool to pay double the price.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 7:56 PM
The Vomit Bag.

It is sort of crazy how much more expensive beer is here in Ontario. I thought that once the awful Beer Store lost its monopoly, we would have better prices, but nope.

It is harder to buy beer than it is to buy dope here in London. Fucking dope shops are on every corner.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 8:03 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
It is sort of crazy how much more expensive beer is here in Ontario. I thought that once the awful Beer Store lost its monopoly, we would have better prices, but nope.

It is harder to buy beer than it is to buy dope here in London. Fucking dope shops are on every corner.
Right now, I could go to my local MacEwen gas station and buy a 12 of Moosehead for 19.99.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 8:43 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

Quote:
Right now, I could go to my local MacEwen gas station and buy a 12 of Moosehead for 19.99.
Having lived in Alberta with private liquor sales, I found it sometimes more expensive than The Beer Store and LCBO, unless you were buying say lower shelf liquor or there was a sale on most popular brands.

It's like an oligopoly of three or so chains that have a good chunk of sales so I'm convinced price fixing is going on in that province.

O-tacular or other AB forumers, feel free to chime in.

$20 for a 12 pack sounds great.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 9:12 PM
菠蘿油

I was really enjoying Modelo Especial when I was in Mexico recently. It’s what you want a macro lager to be: clean, easy drinking but not entirely boring. It reminded me of the macro lagers in Japan, quality wise. You can get Modelo in Canada but I’ve only ever seen it in clear glass bottles and so it’s probably old, skunky and gross.

In terms of affordable craft beer, I actually think the best place for this is BC. There are a bunch of craft breweries with fairly large production volumes (eg Phillips or Four Winds) who sell pretty affordable six-packs of their core beers. Quebec has this too (Boréale in particular) but I don’t think the quality is as good when it comes to the low end of the craft market.

Otherwise prices keep creeping up and for a really interesting beer, it’s often five, six, even seven dollars for a tall can, before taxes.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 9:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

BC was the worst for high beer prices when I lived there in the 90s. Plus most BC liquor stores were closed on Sundays. You couldn't get a beer except at pubs or sometimes (rarely) off sales at hotels. And at Granville Island Brewery.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 9:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The Nanny State is most powerful in BC and Ontario.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada