HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 4:54 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Labatt and Molson products forcing Canucks to "pray to the porcelain gods" is a rite of passage, it seems.

Luckily we only split 2 regular sized bottles but were so drunk with basically no alcohol tolerance (other than an occasional summertime sip from my parents beer, or a tiny glass of wine me/my older brother were allowed at Xmas).

I remember people later buying them in the 1.18L or whatever it's called size as that was enough alcohol to get one tanked in short order.

Malt liquor, just as gross as ice beers--maybe even more
Molson, that usually gives one the worst gas/bathroom experiences!
1994 me, being 18 in Ontario and in university... I had my share of Triple X and Maximum Ice.

Nowadays, the low end stuff is Pabst Blue ribbon, Busch, and king cans of Molson EXTRA dry or bottles of Labatt Blue that I have seen up to 11 percent. That is wine territory.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 1:38 PM
The Vomit Bag.

99% of beer at or over 6.5% alc/vol tastes gross.

As for low end beers, here we have something called Laker (or Lakelocker....I can't remember what it is called).

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Hard disagree, though your Molson XXX, Max Ice, etc. are definitely not good.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 1:56 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Hard disagree, though your Molson XXX, Max Ice, etc. are definitely not good.
Definitely. Lots of good high ABV stuff, whether you are into IPAs, stouts or wild ales / spontaneously fermented stuff. I personally enjoy all of these options, though at this point have to limit myself to one as I am feeling the effects hard the next morning - just as much on the stomach as head. Still can drink plenty of session beers in one sitting though!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
1994 me, being 18 in Ontario and in university... I had my share of Triple X and Maximum Ice.

Nowadays, the low end stuff is Pabst Blue ribbon, Busch, and king cans of Molson EXTRA dry or bottles of Labatt Blue that I have seen up to 11 percent. That is wine territory.
I buy my beer at the Manitoba Liquor Mart where the selection is pretty tame. But then once in a while I go to a hotel beer vendor where I see all that off the wall stuff like the super-strong Labatt Blue (what's wrong with the original version?!), the 2L plastic bottles of Stone Cold Lager, etc. It's a different world.

11% Labatt Blue... blech. I love Labatt Blue, but cripes there is no way it can taste good like that. Might as well just pour some rubbing alcohol into a Bud Light.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 3:39 PM

Quote:
I never cared for Black Label, even when it had a brief renaissance back in the early 90s.

Remember O'Keefe? Molson Golden? 50?

50 is still around, but it has not been promoted in decades. Neither has Blue.
How about some of the legendary beers in this image

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/135811744999957763/

or

https://www.brewerianacollectors.ca/?attachment_id=3042

Labatts made an IPA...have an 'i' back in the 70's/80's

I recall a beer called Crystal that was pretty vile. Other ones you don't see anymore or are hard to find are John Labatt's Classic, Old Vienna, Charrington Toby, Carlsberg.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 3:10 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
I recall a beer called Crystal that was pretty vile. Other ones you don't see anymore or are hard to find are John Labatt's Classic, Old Vienna, Charrington Toby, Carlsberg.
Carlsberg is pretty prolific here. They have them in bottles and shrink-wrapped tall cans. The gas station close to me sells them twenty bucks for a 12.

OV is for old sweaty men that frequent prairie socials - I don't think they even make it anymore.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 3:33 PM

I occasionally used to buy OV but I have to admit I haven't seen it in a while, probably not for at least a few years. I just checked the Northern Hotel on Skip the Dishes and they don't have it.

I love those old beers that were popular when I was younger like Blue, Canadian, OV, Club, 50, Ice, Kokanee, Standard, etc., but honest to God they all taste exactly the same to me

Only the stronger and light beers are easily discernible.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 3:37 PM

They still make O’Keefe, apparently. I’m not sure where one would be able to buy it though - haven’t seen them in 15 years at least.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I occasionally used to buy OV but I have to admit I haven't seen it in a while, probably not for at least a few years. I just checked the Northern Hotel on Skip the Dishes and they don't have it.

I love those old beers that were popular when I was younger like Blue, Canadian, OV, Club, 50, Ice, Kokanee, Standard, etc., but honest to God they all taste exactly the same to me

OV has a distinctive taste, I've had my fair share of it over the years because I know a few people who drink OV exclusively, even to this day.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 4:12 PM

^ I would definitely buy a twelver of OV if I saw one anywhere.

I just bought a case of Labatt Lite, the GOAT summer beer

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 4:23 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:

A lot of it is virtually indiscernible.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/11/simp...ect-ratio.html

That being said there are certainly some differences between macro beers, possibly dependent on slight differences between brewing locations. I find the stuff in the US and Latin America to be a bit more corn syrupy (for lack of a better term) than most of our macros. Labatt 50 has a fairly distinct taste I actually enjoy, and Molson Ex the opposite.

IMO this is the best summer beer available locally, and it's pretty cheap at $54 for 24 tall cans. Their lager is even cheaper.
https://www.greatlakesbeer.com/Beer/...idesessionipa/

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 4:45 PM

^ That's exactly the image I think of when I think of all the macrobrews I know and love

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
OV has a distinctive taste, I've had my fair share of it over the years because I know a few people who drink OV exclusively, even to this day.
I often get OV on tap when the choices are limited, it’s much better than Coor’s Light. OV is very popular still here in Windsor and Essex County.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 5:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

They do taste similar, except for Canadian, which tastes exactly like air. It has zero flavor (except when served at room temperature, when it tastes like steer piss). Coors light is also tasteless. I hate seeing Coors light marketed as a "domestic beer" Domestic, my ass. I don't give a shit if the shitty product is brewed in Canada.

I had an OV for the first time in maybe 25 years at a local pizza parlor. It tasted a lot like '50'

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 9:19 PM
ハルウララ

I take issue with the thread title's implication that Canadian beer is no longer great. There are plenty of quality beers coming out of Canada these days.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I take issue with the thread title's implication that Canadian beer is no longer great. There are plenty of quality beers coming out of Canada these days.
Quality beer comes out of my house. Home brewing FTW!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 12:35 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
I learned much later if I was gonna drink a strong beer to effect, a single 750 of Fin du Monde was MUCH tastier (and stayed down, easily).
indeed.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 12:41 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:

As for low end beers, here we have something called Laker (or Lakelocker....I can't remember what it is called).
There was a beer called Laker that was made in Hamilton
edit: apparently now Waterloo Brewing has the rights to brew it now. odd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
How about some of the legendary beers in this image

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/135811744999957763/

or

https://www.brewerianacollectors.ca/?attachment_id=3042

Labatts made an IPA...have an 'i' back in the 70's/80's

In my early legal drinking days I had a buddy from Ajax that was obsessed with the "one offs" like Labatt Crystal and JLB Classic haven't heard these names in 20 years. He had lived in Montreal until he was like 13-14 or something so he had an affinity for Brador, Molson Export, and Molson Golden as well.
I'd convince him to split a case of '50' usually instead

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 12:50 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Carlsberg is pretty prolific here. They have them in bottles and shrink-wrapped tall cans. The gas station close to me sells them twenty bucks for a 12.

OV is for old sweaty men that frequent prairie socials - I don't think they even make it anymore.
can confirm people still drink it in Niagara
No one I'd associate with, but am aware it's still consumed.

I think I last had one at age 21-22. can never get the "Old Vagina" nickname out of my head.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada