HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 10:47 PM

Could be so much better with a little more thought and refinement. For the tall tower, finish the taper to the top, for the shorter tower.. start over. It really looks like shit. Additionally, the base and street level implementation needs a major revamp and the integration of Angels flight needs to be completely redone. Lastly, the materials must be high end or else this will look cheap and dated the day it opens.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 12:11 AM

I don't even see Angel's Flight in that render. If it stays where it is, it'll be in permanent shadow once this gets built

I'm glad they scaled it down though. The design wasn't worthy of the new tallest label, although I like it overall. You're right that quality materials and finish makes all the difference in how it'll end up looking.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesBeauty View Post
Huge Capital Grille to Anchor Figueroa Corridor in Downtown LA

https://brighamyen.com/2019/04/09/hu...n-downtown-la/
Quote:
Every time I walk around Downtown LA, I am still astounded (and frustrated) by how little there is in DTLA for a city center of this size compared to other large international cities. There are still huge blocks of “nothingness” (long stretches of blank walls, surface parking lots, vacant retail spaces, etc) that make the Downtown LA walking experience diluted and less interesting.

It's getting there....still a work in progress, but now so much is going on in dt...but not necessarily easily reached by walking or ideal from a sidewalk standpoint....that I thought these two places were one & the same. Just realized they're not....hope all these projs are able to find their own market share....

citymarketsouth

rowdtla

Video Link

even more going on.....

Quote:
Despite the daunting nature of trying to rehabilitation and remodel an entire historic building in Los Angeles, Dustin Lancaster (Bar Covell) and partner Tyler Stonebreaker have done just that with the new Arts District Firehouse Hotel, opening Monday, April 15. Part of a nine room boutique hotel, with most of the rooms situated on the second floor where firemen used to reside, the restaurant portion will take over the ground floor and a significant patio space of the 1927 fire station.

la.eater.com

la.eater.com

la.eater.com

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 3:43 PM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
This turned out better than the renders. A rare feat.

Where are all the guys in here who were bashing this design when it was first proposed? Come and eat your crow.
lmaooo on point tho!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 4:59 PM
Ridin' The Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
[URL="https://urbanize.la/post/heres-look-scaled-back-plan-angels-landing"]Renderings of the scaled-back Angels Landing
^ What a bizarre and misleading rendering. One of the Cal Plaza towers is missing, the 3rd Street tunnel is gone, and there's a block-sized park at 1st/Hill, with no trace of any subway entrances.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
It's getting there....still a work in progress, but now so much is going on in dt...but not necessarily easily reached by walking or ideal from a sidewalk standpoint....that I thought these two places were one & the same. Just realized they're not....hope all these projs are able to find their own market share....

rowdtla

even more going on.....
Rappahannock Oyster Bar has two locations in DC and, even though I don't eat seafood, their restaurants are popular and very high quality.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
I don't even see Angel's Flight in that render. If it stays where it is, it'll be in permanent shadow once this gets built
Here you go; you have to click on the link and go through the slideshow gallery:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBeachUrbanist View Post
^ What a bizarre and misleading rendering. One of the Cal Plaza towers is missing, the 3rd Street tunnel is gone
Actually, the shorter Cal Plaza tower is indeed there, it's behind the taller one in the rendering, in shadow. And you can see in the rendering where 3rd Street goes under the Angelus Plaza development, and therefore into the 3rd Street Tunnel...

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 2:49 AM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Rappahannock Oyster Bar has two locations in DC and, even though I don't eat seafood, their restaurants are popular and very high quality.
not generally a fan of DC restaurants but Rappahonnock is fire i need to try this la outpost

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 2:43 AM

These vids should be watched on fast motion or fast forward. however, they do show some newer parts of dtla from a pedestrian's POV....some of the scenes are very recent, so newly completed projs are visible.

Good news & bad news: first the good news. not many sights of homeless ppl & homeless encampments in the dt areas the youtuber was walking through...so far not as bad as what is going on in cities like SF, seattle, portland.

Now the bad news: not many ppl of any type or background visible throughout most of the scenes in dtla too. strangely quiet, almost desolate.

That reminds me of all the times I've been trapped on crowded fwys surrounding dtla, but then enter dt itself to see streets with not a lot of traffic & sidewalks with not a lot of ppl on them.

LA's fwys are our version of the crowded sidewalks of certain other cities, in the US and abroad. Except ppl here are in their cars, going bumper to bumper. That's when I often say....after going x%$!!&*@!!!, this is so congested! I'm gonna be late!....why are so many fwys in LA jammed with travelers who should be using off ramps a lot closer....such as the ones in dtla....to where they'll otherwise be exiting?

The paradox of LA.

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 4:23 AM

Youtube DTLA

Was this filmed on a Sunday morning at 8 a.m.? I've never seen DTLA so empty. I was down there Saturday and the streets were filled with people. Some streets are desolate, but many are filled with new welcome activity and people. Especially 7th St., around Grand Central Market, Spring Street, 8th St. around the Freehand and Whole Foods, Broadway and lines of people at the Broad Museum and MOCA. Friends remarked how DTLA has never looked more vibrant. This looks like when Gregory Peck peeks through the periscope at San Francisco after the nuclear bomb in ON THE BEACH.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabriskie View Post
Was this filmed on a Sunday morning at 8 a.m.? I've never seen DTLA so empty. I was down there Saturday and the streets were filled with people. Some streets are desolate, but many are filled with new welcome activity and people. Especially 7th St., around Grand Central Market, Spring Street, 8th St. around the Freehand and Whole Foods, Broadway and lines of people at the Broad Museum and MOCA. Friends remarked how DTLA has never looked more vibrant. This looks like when Gregory Peck peeks through the periscope at San Francisco after the nuclear bomb in ON THE BEACH.
Right?? I’ve never seen it so dead like that. And last time I visited was in 2017.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
These vids should be watched on fast motion or fast forward. however, they do show some newer parts of dtla from a pedestrian's POV....some of the scenes are very recent, so newly completed projs are visible.

Good news & bad news: first the good news. not many sights of homeless ppl & homeless encampments in the dt areas the youtuber was walking through...so far not as bad as what is going on in cities like SF, seattle, portland.

Now the bad news: not many ppl of any type or background visible throughout most of the scenes in dtla too. strangely quiet, almost desolate.

That reminds me of all the times I've been trapped on crowded fwys surrounding dtla, but then enter dt itself to see streets with not a lot of traffic & sidewalks with not a lot of ppl on them.

LA's fwys are our version of the crowded sidewalks of certain other cities, in the US and abroad. Except ppl here are in their cars, going bumper to bumper. That's when I often say....after going x%$!!&*@!!!, this is so congested! I'm gonna be late!....why are so many fwys in LA jammed with travelers who should be using off ramps a lot closer....such as the ones in dtla....to where they'll otherwise be exiting?

The paradox of LA.
Well, there would be more people on the street if the new buildings didn't have these huge parking podiums. Broadway with all the old buildings (no podiums) is usually full of walkers. I suspect the developers use these podiums and other barriers as a way to restrict people they consider "undesirable" (homeless, etc.) from entry. But you lose the street vitality you have on Broadway and a few other streets.

Last edited by CaliNative; Apr 16, 2019 at 10:34 AM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Well, there would be more people on the street if the new buildings didn't have these huge parking podiums. Broadway with all the old buildings (no podiums) is usually full of walkers. I suspect the developers use these podiums and other barriers as a way to restrict people they consider "undesirable" (homeless, etc.) from entry. But you lose the street vitality you have on Broadway and a few other streets.
These vids were clearly done early in the morning and does not represent the street in the city. Anyone that visits the city would know that much. Hahahahaha Even a lot of the businesses are closed and haven’t open for the day. And I’ve been to all of the major cities except for Dallas. There are just a few cities that have a more vibrant Downtown than LA. And as far as true nightlife, there’s is just a couple.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 5:33 PM

Ive lived downtown for 11 years now. I live right in the heart of downtown. It hasnt this busy and vibrant since the 1930's. I walk around several times a day, all over.. Its remarkable how busy downtown is now compared to even 3 years ago, let alone 10 years back.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Ive lived downtown for 11 years now. I live right in the heart of downtown. It hasnt this busy and vibrant since the 1930's. I walk around several times a day, all over.. Its remarkable how busy downtown is now compared to even 3 years ago, let alone 10 years back.
100% Agreed!!!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 9:40 PM

Pre 1960s 150 foot height limit

Does anybody have a link about the old 150 foot height limit rule in L.A.? Why & when was it put in? Was it a law put in place by the city council? Some buildings were exempted, City Hall in 1928 being the most notable, but also the Federal Courthouse (250'). Did each exemption require a council vote? L.A. probably missed out on a few marvelous art deco skyscrapers because of it, although we do have the Eastern Columbia (just over 200' with the clock tower, so they got an exemption, as did the the Texaco building and Richfield tower which rose to 380' to the spire tip). Even after the repeal of the limit, it took a few years to get some real skyscrapers. Occidental in 1965 (452') was the first that almost matched City Hall (454') in height. Union Bank (1967, 516') was the first that exceeded City Hall. If anybody can provide a link or more details, thanks!

Last edited by CaliNative; Apr 16, 2019 at 9:54 PM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Does anybody have a link about the old 150 foot height limit rule in L.A.?--why was it put in? Was it a law put in place by the city council? Some buildings were exempted, City Hall in 1928 being the most notable, but also the Federal Courthouse (250'). Did each exemption require a council vote? L.A. probably missed out on a few marvelous art deco skyscrapers because of it, although we do have the Eastern Columbia (just over 200' with the clock tower). Even after the repeal of the limit, it took a few years to get some real skyscrapers. Occidental in 1965 was the first that matched City Hall. If anybody can provide a link or more details, thanks!
Here you go: https://www.kcet.org/shows/lost-la/l...city-of-angels

Generally, it was for aesthetic reasons, and NOT the fear of earthquakes, that imposed the height limit. LA's leaders did not want the dark streets of east coast and Midwestern cities; they wanted to play up the sunny climate. LA City Hall was supposed to be the monumental, synecdochal symbol of the city, hence its exception to the height limit.

From what I've read in another book source, it was this building, the Braly Building, that made city leaders want a height limit; at the time it was built, it was the tallest in LA, and city leaders didn't want LA to become a skyscraper city:

kcet.org

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
I agree. Downtown is constantly busy now, to the point that driving around there can be a headache, and it's best to get there by public transportation... which is the way it should be anyway.

Lots of people walking around downtown, even on Sundays. I'm thinking in those videos posted, the person probably shot those purposely on an early Sunday morning to avoid the throngs of people.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Even a lot of the businesses are closed and haven’t open for the day. And I’ve been to all of the major cities except for Dallas. There are just a few cities that have a more vibrant Downtown than LA. And as far as true nightlife, there’s is just a couple.
I just saw this story listed today....

Even if dtla didn't have sidewalks full of ppl, I'd rather deal with that than this...

Quote:
The sh**ty streets of San Francisco: Revolting map reveals the staggering amount of human waste found on storied city's streets as homeless crisis spirals out of control

An interactive map marking every spot in San Francisco where human waste has been reported since 2011 has emerged as the city continues to grapple with its growing homeless population.

In total, there have been 118,352 instances reported over the last eight years with the map showing a blanket of brown pins which almost covers the city entirely.

this recent vid of LA's neighbor known for street life, fog & cable cars instead of fwys, smog & autos doesn't seem 'all that' either....

Video Link

since you & a few others have set the record straight, I wanted to balance things too.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
I just saw this story listed today....

Even if dtla didn't have sidewalks full of ppl, I'd rather deal with that than this...

this recent vid of LA's neighbor known for street life, fog & cable cars instead of fwys, smog & autos doesn't seem 'all that' either....

Video Link

since you & a few others have set the record straight, I wanted to balance things too.

Question, do you live in LA? because it seems like you live through youtube videos and video bloggers conception of downtown. Not sure why you feel the need to bring SF into a discussion on DTLA development

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations