HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 9:10 PM
early dogecoin investor

Yeah, I'm jumping on the boat of "if it's not physical I don't care". the psychical Rolling up the rim is the best part of getting a coffee. The physical aspect is part of why I like McDonald's Monopoly so much.

I also have been trying to not go to Tims as it's quite literally become crap over the past 3-4 years....

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 12:34 AM
Midtowner since 2K

I'm in the same camp. I miss rolling up that little rim, but I also miss when Tims was a decent place for coffee and a donut. I can tell shrinkflation is going on there (its commonplace everyhwere, so I'm not just blaming them), and boy, its making it hard to justify buying anything there except coffee.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
I'm in the same camp. I miss rolling up that little rim, but I also miss when Tims was a decent place for coffee and a donut. I can tell shrinkflation is going on there (its commonplace everyhwere, so I'm not just blaming them), and boy, its making it hard to justify buying anything there except coffee.
The breakfast wraps are comically small now. I can close my hand around one.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by People_talking View Post
Yeah, I'm jumping on the boat of "if it's not physical I don't care". the psychical Rolling up the rim is the best part of getting a coffee. The physical aspect is part of why I like McDonald's Monopoly so much.

I also have been trying to not go to Tims as it's quite literally become crap over the past 3-4 years....
It's been crap since McDonalds outbid them on their coffee bean plantation contract over a decade ago. Drinking McDonalds coffee now, is like drinking Tim Hortons coffee in 2010.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 12:18 PM
early dogecoin investor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
The breakfast wraps are comically small now. I can close my hand around one.
I don’t know what happened to the wraps but starting like, maybe 1-2 years ago I find myself disgusted everytime I eat one. I can remember the last time a Farmers Wrap hit the same way it did in 2018 and prior.

Don’t even get me started on the coffee.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 12:40 PM
The Vomit Bag.

When you sell yourself to a Brazilian holding company that practices Zero-based budgeting, you also sell your soul. Shittier service, reduced hours, smaller portions, poorer quality food, filthy washrooms, overflowing trash bins, dreary lobbies ....

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
It's been crap since McDonalds outbid them on their coffee bean plantation contract over a decade ago. Drinking McDonalds coffee now, is like drinking Tim Hortons coffee in 2010.
I've seen this on Reddit but I've never actually seen a news article or press release about this; did this really happen?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 8:17 PM
early dogecoin investor

I’m fairly certain that’s an urban myth.
IIRC Tim Hortons used to be supplied by Mother Parker’s until Tim’s built their own roasting facility to cut costs, they now operate some kind of Co-op with suppliers from all over, which may explain the inconsistencies.

The same brand, Mother Parker’s now supplies McDonalds though, they picked them up after Tim’s pulled out.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 8:34 PM

You can make a good pot of coffee at home for about $1.25 to share between a few people. Plus you can really enjoy it by adding 18% cream, which is not offered at any coffee house. The difference is amazing, it really is the crème de la crème.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by People_talking View Post
I’m fairly certain that’s an urban myth.
IIRC Tim Hortons used to be supplied by Mother Parker’s until Tim’s built their own roasting facility to cut costs, they now operate some kind of Co-op with suppliers from all over, which may explain the inconsistencies.

The same brand, Mother Parker’s now supplies McDonalds though, they picked them up after Tim’s pulled out.
It's a myth but you basically confirmed McDonald's coffee is the old Tim's...

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 8:51 PM
early dogecoin investor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I meant the outbidding was a myth lol, should've clarified.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Mother Parker's is just a brand of coffee, it's not a specific blend. They actually have a fairly substantial portfolio of blends and flavours.

Some other coffee shops use Mother Parker's as well, but that doesn't mean they're serving McDonald's coffee or the old Tim's coffee. Heck, you can buy Mother Parker's on Amazon for home use.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 12:14 AM

Last month I went to a Tims and ordered a breakfast meal. I think it was a sausage egg mcmuffin, hashbrown pattie and coffee. When I asked for ketchup they said it would be an extra charge.

I'm not sure if this is a company-wide policy or maybe the specific franchise owner of this particular restaurant I visited decided to enact this measure? Either way, that is extremely cheap.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 12:19 AM

US Tim’s are run differently than Canadian Tim’s and are also far more expensive for some reason despite fast food generally being cheaper in the US (??). Honestly, I don’t understand Tim’s strategy south of the border. The reason they are so popular in Canada is that they are cheap and accessible to working class people.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 1:29 AM
recession proof

TH's was always crap. I remember when they finally opened a location in my hometown in 1994, although we'd gone to Waterloo and London locations occasionally since the early 1980s. I always preferred Baker's Dozen Donuts and particularly local places like Anna Mae's, Guenther's in Milverton etc. Really fast food in general sucked in the 1980s; I still associate TH with working class males smoking at their tables, often triggering a migraine. (For this reason I never smoke Marijuana.)

Of course, since my mother made homemade donuts once a month or so, any store bought donuts were pretty blah. Nowadays, Loblaws is probably the best place to buy a donut, and for coffee, it's easy to make espresso in the Bialetti. (I've finally figured out how to sometimes drink coffee: pinch of baking soda to eliminate the acidity.)

I think I figured out how I got glutened around Christmas: I bought a coffee at a Dunkin Donuts location in Springville NY and likely it was cross contaminated with wheat.

Last edited by urbandreamer; Mar 14, 2024 at 1:41 AM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 5:08 PM

Tim Hortons is launching pizza. I haven't read the bible lately, but I believe this is the 3rd sign of the apocalypse.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 11:08 PM
recession proof

And Pizza Pizza is launching rolls. Donut rolls it should've been.

I saw this pizza at a TH in KW recently, maybe the Bridgeport Plaza or St Jacobs location. It looked pretty sad, and given the demographic working the counters, thought a cilantro tofu butter chicken style would be better.

Pizza Manna?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 1:18 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Tim Hortons is launching pizza. I haven't read the bible lately, but I believe this is the 3rd sign of the apocalypse.
Well, after introducing lasagna, their wretched potato wedges, and what is without a doubt the world's worst grilled cheese sandwich, there is not much more jello that they can throw against the wall to see what sticks. Joe Pickup Truck will probably love Rimjob Whoreton's Pizza.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 3:15 PM
the first stamp is free

^ My daughter likes the TH grilled cheese , and every time we get them, they appear to be some sort of pre-manufactured food item that gets reheated (typical of most TH edible solid food products). It's never been an actual build-it-yourself on the fly type thing like in that picture.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 3:21 PM

Toasting a bagel and slathering some cream cheese on it is about as far as I trust a TH "prepared" meal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada