HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Norfolk, Va., real-estate company has expanded its presence in the Whitaker Park campus by spending $1.5 million to purchase two vacant lots, according to a Forsyth County Register of Deeds filing Friday.

HeelsandHoos Development LLC, an affiliate of Frye Properties, has purchased the 6.56-acre tract listed as 0 Shorefair Drive and the 5.01-acre tract listed as 0 Reynolds Blvd.

https://journalnow.com/news/local/bu...home-top-story

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 7:48 PM

I admire your positivity, Matthew, but I have no faith in the plans and rendering for the next phase of the Innovation Quarter. It's just taking far too long to see something actually under construction and built for me to put any hope in these renderings. I hope I am SOON proven wrong. I DONT want to wait until 2039 to see any of this come to fruition.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 10:23 PM
Fourth and Main

I was told the developer for The Railyard is none other than Front Street Capital. Best known locally for Bailey South, but also known for the "never happened" Morris Building project, recently proposed Deacon Boulevard Redevelopment Site, and that proposed hotel project at the park. From what I've been told, the Innovation Quarter visions one of these stacked shipping container developments there, but Front Street Capital is visioning something "architecturally" closer to maybe Grand Rapids Downtown Market, with both outdoor and indoor spaces. A new construction building with a modernism meets industrial feel, that can incorporate shipping containers, but is more substantial than stacked shipping containers. I think Front Street is visioning something closer to an actual grocery store (created from multiple local vendors) than just a few booths inside old shipping containers. Of course they need completion of the infrastructure project and that entrance to Fogle Commons before they can move forward on anything.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 12:22 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. If you can, please support any local businesses sharing photographs and thank them.

Renderings for a new park in downtown's IQ District and we have completion dates for two projects! ...The excitement of the Sunday morning update! Have a happy Hallowe'en this week! The most wonderful time of the year.

Video Link

Kaleideum Science Museum:
The official opening is now pushed-back to February 17, 2024.

Credit: vanherdehaage

4th and Green Apartments & Retail:

Credit: Michael Sears

Roar Arcade:

Credit: MerleSharava Grace Dandridge Green

Ambulatory Surgical Center:

Our first construction update on this project, from four weeks ago:

Credit: Nancy Hall

New Tenants/Leases:
The old Ronnie's location is being gutted, with workers constructing a new roof for the building. It should be interesting to see what happens at the old building. No, I haven't heard what will fill the space and the photographer didn't know.

Credit: Carroll H. Leggett

Fogle Commons / IQ Infrastructure:
New renderings! Yes, I said new renderings. And they are on the construction fence, of all places. These new renderings appear to show a new park for the downtown innovation district, with a short stretch of new bike and walking path, behind the S.J. Nissen Building.

We've seen this, but not from this angle:

Credit: Johnell Hunter Sr.

And now for the new park! Is that a steel arbor? (Looking South from Third Street)

And a boardwalk? This new park is clearly behind the S.J. Nissen Building, next to the old rail line:

Location for the new park and bike/walking path, seen in the new renderings:

Credit: GSV

Eight West Third Apartments:

I don't know why it's so difficult to find photographs of this adaptive-reuse project?

Two Cities:
Completion is scheduled for December 2023.

Interstate 74:
This week, we look at the Interstate 74, Interstate 274, and Interstate 285 interchange construction project.

Credit: Roger Dale Kirk

I suspect this photograph was washed-out, since it appears as if the photographer tried to burn (darken) the lower quarter of the image:

Truist Stadium Upgrades:

Yes, this project is officially under construction:

Credit: WS Dash

Credit: WS Dash

Ziehl-Abegg North American Headquarters:

Credit: landmarkbuildersinc

Credit: landmarkbuildersinc

Salem Bottling Works:

A vault found during interior demolition:

Credit: salembottleworks

East Tower:

It's so rare to find photographs of this project... this is from four weeks ago:

Credit: Nancy Hall

Alternative Transportation:

Transit, Bike, & Pedestrian Improvements:
So, what is a Walk Audit? A group walks along the selected streets looking for issues pedestrians may face in different neighborhoods around the city. The group makes recommendations to the City to make those neighborhood streets more pedestrian friendly. Anyone can do this, if you're interested. And yes, the City is working on the list of recommendations.

Citizens on a neighborhood Walk Audit looking for recommendations to make the city more walkable:

Credit: George M Bryan Jr.

Credit: George M Bryan Jr.

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

Credit: sparkysrickshaw

The ghosts of eyewear decisions, past?

Credit: theartreaux

Credit: kendallmehta

Your City

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 9:34 PM

Thanks for the update, Matt. Someone must sniff out what the intentions are for the former Ronnie’s Country Store property. They didn’t boot Ronnie’s out and refurbish the building for no reason.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 3:25 AM
Fourth and Main

Looking at the ceiling, the beams holding the roof in one of the photographs appear to me to be sagging, the ceiling appears to have water staining (like a big leak), and it's unusual to replace the roof like that (replacing not just the membrane, but also a large section of the structural support for the roof)? What some may think is framing the walls for an upfit appears to me as shoring-up the sagging roof support beams near the ceiling staining and a hole in the roof. Add to this: No one seems to know who the tenant is, including many who are good at finding answers to the tenant question. This is just a guess, but I suspect they don't have a tenant and the roof was failing? Again, that is my guess, based on observations I made from the photographs, and I could be wrong. If I'm right and the roof is/was failing, it would be interesting to know if the roof led to the store closing, if the store owner didn't know, or if any maintenance was deferred because the store was closing? Again, I want to make clear: All of that is just me guessing and I could be wrong on some or all of that.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 4:07 AM

That makes sense

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 4:07 AM

Quote:
What can you expect to see in downtown Winston-Salem in 2024? Jason Thiel, president of the Downtown Winston-Salem Partnership, is excited about the possibility of adding modernized parking options and finding new tenants in vacant office buildings like the BB&T Financial Center or Forsyth County Hall of Justice.
https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...024-plans.html

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 1:25 PM

Anyone know what is going in at 905 Burke St? It's the old Lighthouse Grill location. I walked by it the other day and noticed that someone seems to have bought the property and is doing construction now to renovate.

Last edited by winstonmd; Nov 1, 2023 at 1:38 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 9:12 PM

We talked to the owner of City Beverage about the old Lighthouse building a few months back and he had heard that someone was adapting it as an “event space”. Seems a strange use. Would have thought a restaurant would do well there with all of the new housing clustered around. A breakfast joint was a nice neighborhood amenity.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Winston-Salem is getting a new school thanks to Crossnore Communities for Children and its $41 million capital campaign.
Crossnore – a nonprofit that provides foster care, adoption and related support services – opened the public portion of its capital campaign called The Promise of Hope on Thursday, having already raised $35 million in the quiet phase.
https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...er-school.html

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 1:27 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. If you can, please support any local businesses sharing photographs and thank them.

This week, we have photography updates on projects we added to our follow list, but have never seen any construction photographs of! We also have a new college campus opening, awards announcements, and a couple of headquarters announcements. It also appears as if STITCH Design Shop is looking for a bigger office space?

Sadly, I just realized I didn't ask my wife for a "Bad 80s Song of the Week" this week, so you have to listen to one of my music selections :
Video Link

The Planetarium:

Credit: kaleideum

The back side of the building:

Credit: Montana Bevill

Washington Park Renovation:
Central Builders will start work soon on the last picnic shelter construction project at Washington Park. This shelter will replace a picnic shelter that was lost to fire and will complete the Washington Park renovation project.

4th and Green Apartments & Retail:

Credit: ourwstoday

Nissen Wagon Works Warehousing:
Dallas-based M Group Companies and South Carolina-based Land South are moving forward with their plans for this site. And their plan is warehousing. They will make minimal upgrades to the existing buildings and site before placing them on the market for lease. So far, they have demolished some structures, including those that have collapsed. The developers have also painted reusable structures at the site. They expect to spend "under" $1 million on this project. Sadly, I don't have an exact name for this project. It's under the working name Industrial Warehouse. This is the Nissen Wagon Works on Waughtown Street at Pleasant Street.

Greater Winston-Salem Workforce Hub:
Our first update on this project, involving FTCC and Greater Winston-Salem, at downtown Winston-Salem's Innovation Quarter. STITCH Design Shop is the architect and Shelco Construction is the general contractor. They are saying it will open soon, but aren't giving a completion date at this time.

Credit: greaterwinstonsaleminc

West Point Business Park:
Charles D. Lowder Inc., was hired to build a new building at 3947 Westpoint Boulevard. It's a small building, at 19,673-square-feet.

Philo-Hill Expansion:
Vega Construction is the General Contractor and Ersoy Brake Appleyard Architects is the architect for this multi-storey expansion of Philo-Hill in Winston-Salem. I can remember posting on this at the old WSTB Forum. We aren't following this project here, but these photographs looked interesting and I do remember what they are building has maybe three or four floors.

Credit: ChandlerConcreteCompany

Credit: ChandlerConcreteCompany

Mill 800 Apartments:
This project is preparing to start the permitting process, so it could start early next year?

Lantal Textiles Headquarters:
Lantal Textiles will move their headquarters to 446 South Main Street in Winston-Salem. They signed a lease with extensions through 2043. Yes, this is the "First House" or "Bonn Apothecary." For those who are new to Winston-Salem, this is a neighborhood with structures dating back to the mid-1700s. A fun place to visit and it's right at downtown.

446 South Main Street, Winston Salem, (1766) by Steve Minor, on Flickr

WoodSpring Suites Extended Stay Hotel:
Workers are preparing to install the signage, so this project should be nearing completion? Sadly, I couldn't find any photographs. I really don't know how far into the project they are, since I haven't seen any photographs of the site since early-June. The GC only has photographs of their Arizona Woodspring Suites and no other hotel projects they are working on.

Coptic Orthodox Church of Winston Salem:
Our first look at the construction of this church and its onion dome. It doesn't look anything like the renderings we have.

The signature "onion dome:"

Credit: holycrossoca

Interior progress from a few weeks ago:

Credit: holycrossoca

High Point University Winston-Salem Campus:
High Point University and their Health School have signed a seven-and-a-half-year office lease at 125 Sunnynoll Court in Winston-Salem. They have the option to renew the lease twice for three years each, which could bring the lease to thirteen-and-a-half-years. This would be a new university campus in Winston-Salem for those wanting to take medical classes and enter the health field at the many hospitals in Winston-Salem.

Interstate 74:
Flatiron Constructors' Interstate 74 project in Winston-Salem received the Engineering News-Record Southeast 2023 Best Projects Award of Merit in the Highway/Bridge category.

Credit: FlatironConstruction

The Engineering News-Record article said 11 new bridges:

Veterans Nursing Home: Built!
This 120-bed State veterans nursing home project is now completed. It has private bedrooms, a therapy pool, multiple small bistros, and a barber shop and salon. The facility will employ 225 people when hiring is finished.

1782 George Stockburger House Restoration:

A photograph from around 1950 of how the house originally appeared (will impact front porch restoration):

Credit: stockburgerfarmhouse

New Tenants/Leases:
STITCH Design Shop and potential General Contractor Swift Construction are exploring converting the 1949 mid-century modern building at 1105 Burke Street into STITCH Design Shop's new headquarters.

There's some action behind the scenes at the former Heyday Guitars space at 414 Brookstown Avenue. Someone said something about Brook & Branch, but provided no details in their message? Jared Rogers, of Salem Bottleworks, is likely involved.

Ramboll will open a Winston-Salem office at 1605 Westbrook Plaza Drive, on the fourth floor. LMI Builders will be the GC for the upfit.

1913 Lord & Burnham Conservatory Restoration:
Our first update on the restoration of the 1913 Lord & Burnham Conservatory to its original appearance. Workers are also restoring the Florist Workshop to convert it into a new welcome center.

Credit: flblum

Off-Subject:

100 Fastest Growing Companies:
Insteel Industries was ranked #59 on Fortune's list of the nation's 100 Fastest Growing Companies. Companies are ranked based on growth in revenue, profits, and stock returns over three years ending June 2023. All companies must be traded on a U.S. stock exchange and report their results in USD. It's great to see companies headquartered in the Winston-Salem area with fast growth.

Nation's Best Coffee Drive-Through:
Winston-Salem's Coffee Park Airstream was selected as the best coffee drive-through in the United States by USA Today. Yes, Coffee Park Airstream was #1 on the list! And you did see Airstream! They are in a 1958 Airstream and use a lot of mid-century modern design in their signage and advertising. For those who want to know, the big chains of Scooter's Coffee and Caribou Coffee are #2 and #3, respectively, on the list. Coffee Park isn't a chain and is only in Winston-Salem, which shows how amazing this #1 ranking is.

Your City

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 3:53 PM

I would be SO DISAPPOINTED to see 1105 Burke become a Stich design’s headquarters. It’s an extremely cool building with tons of space (and even indoor parking if wanted) that could be an amazing bakery, coffee shop, etc. It drives me crazy that ‘creatives’ gobble up street-level storefronts that should be neighborhood amenities.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 7:08 PM

Quote:
The Carolina Thunderbirds usually never disappoint in front of their home fans.

Saturday night in front of 3,100 that included standing-room-only fans at the Winston-Salem Fairgrounds Annex the Thunderbirds beat the Wytheville Blue Ridge Bobcats 4-1.

The Thunderbirds also played the Bobcats on Friday night in Virginia and came away with a 4-1 win there as well.
The hottest ticket in town is a Carolina Thunderbirds hockey game!

https://journalnow.com/sports/thunde...home-top-story

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 2:24 PM

Wake Forest School of Medicine's strategic partnership with Atrium continues to pay dividends. From their most recent financial statement, released yesterday: Atrium contributed $47,000,000 in February 2023 to establish a new academic endowment, to fund new academic projects, researchers, etc. Interestingly enough (and I'm sure this is common), there is a clawback provision that allows Atrium to take back the contribution if the partnership is terminated within the next 10 years. I don't believe this contribution was originally mentioned? This is in addition to the $150,000,000 Atrium contributed to the endowment in 2021. The total endowment for Wake Forest and the School of Medicine (WFUHS) is approaching $2B...

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 4:29 PM

Is there an indication whether this money is for the W-S campus or the Charlotte Campus or anywhere deemed necessary?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 4:57 AM
Fourth and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winstonwalker View Post
I would be SO DISAPPOINTED to see 1105 Burke become a Stich design’s headquarters. It’s an extremely cool building with tons of space (and even indoor parking if wanted) that could be an amazing bakery, coffee shop, etc. It drives me crazy that ‘creatives’ gobble up street-level storefronts that should be neighborhood amenities.
This is what I posted on facebook for this project, which is actually longer than the short sentence posted here. This thread at SSP has more total projects than what is posted on facebook (so, this SSP update is better!), but the projects that appear on both can be posted differently, as seen below. Over there, I did note that Burke Street wants more restaurants and fewer projects like this, that create 9-5 offices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me at facebook
Stitch Design Shop is strongly considering a move to 1105 Burke Street. This is not a done deal, but they are exploring the potential move with potential general contractor Swift Construction. It's an interesting mid-century modern building. Many on Burke Street would like to see spaces like this become restaurants, though.

If Stitch Design Shop moves to 1105 Burke Street, what do think will happen to their old space? Will it become arts space with The AFAS Group? I wish STITCH would consider moving to Bailey South and fill existing office space, instead of converting retail space to office space.
To add to what I posted over there: If they located in Bailey South, that is a project they designed as both adaptive-reuse and new construction, with one of their park designs across the street. It's perfect to show-off their work to potential clients visiting their office.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2023, 1:17 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

On this Veterans Day weekend: Thank you to all who served. In this week's update, we have a new brewery, a rendering of the elementary school planned for the north end of downtown, and a new name for a very popular Winston-Salem festival!

Video Link

Kaleideum said, "A magical chair for magical minds! Part of our new Storytelling exhibit, coming to you at our new building opening in February of 2024! Create an animation, tell a tale with shadow puppets, invent sound effects, and practice the science of reading and phonetics with a letter-munching sea dragon. Experience the transformative power of telling your own story as you are transported to new worlds."

Credit: Kaleideum

Credit: Christy Tally

The Byrum Apartments:
Nationally, multi-family buildings are selling at 30+% "below" their peaks from just a few years ago. Hard costs have increased 40% or more over the past two years. GC Insurance and payroll costs are also up. There is talk that "nationally" multi-family is in a recession. I don't think The Byrum or Brookhyrst will start any work this year. Even if those working on the projects say otherwise.

New Brunson Downtown Elementary School:
We finally have a rendering of this project! Michael Graves Architecture & Design / Walter Robbs is the architect and Stimmel is the landscape architect. The building will be 102,000-square-feet when completed. There was a lot of talk that the school system wanted a great work of architecture for this project, since it's downtown. I'll leave it to you to decide if they accomplished that. It's very subjective and we'll all have different opinions on it.

Credit: Michael Graves Architecture & Design

Eight West Third Apartments:

Credit: TriadECOadventures

Ronnie's Downtown Grocery Store:
The "for sale signage" was removed from the window and now it appears as if they have brought back the Ronnie's Grocery "coming soon" signs to the Liberty Street building. The developer has also now confirmed what I previously reported on work restarting.

As for the work at 642 North Cherry Street (the "former" Ronnie's Country Store), their roof did fail and that project is a roof replacement.

Credit: RP Forde

200 West Second Hotel & Apartments:
The Mayor has said the City is willing to work with adaptive-reuse developers and also offer incentives/money for this project, due to the office building's size. Usually, Winston-Salem doesn't offer incentives/money for market-rate apartment projects. This is a very complicated project... even the parking under the building is owned by a different company and being sold separately.

New Tenants/Leases:
Blvck Moon Tattoo Studio has hired Next Level Construction to possibly upfit 461 West End Boulevard for their tattoo studio. The property changed ownership in September 2023.

Four photographs of Link Apartments 4th Street's retail:

Credit: Fourth Elm Construction

Link Apartments 4th Street would've seen better success with that space if they located it on the other side of the building, near other popular restaurants, bars, and coffee shops. Too late now. I brought this up before construction started. Maybe having a near "turn-key" warm vanilla shell will help it lease.

Brouwerij DuBois: Built!
The Brouwerij DuBois Taproom opened November 11, however their actual craft beer brewery isn't completed. So, maybe we should leave this project on our construction list? Maybe I'll give it two completions? This completion for the taproom and a future completion for the actual brewery? So, what is completed: A taproom with 12 taps, including lagers, saisons, and sours made in small batches. They also have guest taps and wine. Be sure to visit and try their beer!

Credit: thegotowinstonsalem

1782 George Stockburger House Restoration:

Bathrooms/Plumbing:

Credit: stockburgerfarmhouse

NASCAR All-Star Race:

Milling and repaving the track:
Video Link

Nissen Wagon Works Warehousing:

Credit: winstonwatchman

1913 Lord & Burnham Conservatory Restoration:
So, what are the working on? This is a $4 million project that will renovate the existing historic greenhouse. This work includes glass replacement, structural repairs, new HVAC, and ADA upgrades.

Sentinel Commons:
Is this project completed?

Signage:

The Haven at Wake Apartments:
Several luxury student townhouse apartment buildings in the next phase of this project (at 450 Polo Road) have started permitting. Completion for this phase is set for August 2024-2025. Amenities include all furnishings (fully furnished), utilities included, a 2-storey clubhouse, pool, gym, fire pit, dog park, and it's own shuttle to the Wake Forest Campus. Part of the multi-phase project is already completed. I noticed another clubhouse appears to be in the plans for this phase?

Stevens Center Renovation:

Video Link

A new social page with photographs of the theatre's interior:

Credit: Take Note and Go

Credit: Take Note and Go

Off-Subject:

Home Price Increases:
Winston-Salem is leading the state in home price increases. It's good if you're selling!

Home Price Increases according to CoreLogic:
Winston-Salem: 6.8% Increase
Charlotte: 6% Increase
Raleigh: 2.4% Increase

International Black Theatre Festival:
The National Black Theatre Festival will return July 29 - August 3, 2024 with a new name. It's now the International Black Theatre Festival. Look for more details, soon!

Random Photographs:

Credit: sawtoothschool

Credit: thegotowinstonsalem

Credit: tim_hutch

Credit: Laura Neelon

Credit: TriadECOadventures

Your City

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 2:41 PM

Atrium Wake Forest's $78MM surgery center on Cloverdale has been approved by the state, and site preparation is underway. Are renderings available? I have not seen any yet.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 3:38 PM

Thanks for all the info. The new Brunson School doesn't look very innovative or new. Looks like all the other schools around town. Will wait to see better images.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations