HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 1:28 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I'd probably envision something along the lines of the one on Peterson.
^ Eh, I prefer the design of the one at Wilson Yard. If WLCO is the "concerned community" that they say they are, they will push for a good design.

Either way, it would still be 1000 times better than your typical suburban-style Target.

BTW, what was once a vacant lot at the SW corner of Armitage and Burlington is now a construction site. Some sort of work is also being done to the building at the SE corner.

Anyone know what's going up?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 1:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
The article says it will be an "urban" target with Parking below. I'm a little hopeful...
I missed that.

Even still.....hopeful would be an inaccurate description of my emotions.....perhaps a modicum of relief.....but not hope

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 1:56 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
The article says it will be an "urban" target with Parking below. I'm a little hopeful...
^ The more I think about it, I do have one concern.

That site is huge!

There is no way the parking will be below or above the store. I'm guessing Target will go for a store more like their one on Peterson--parking on the side, but "covered".

It certainly is far better than a suburban design, but a part of me doesn't think the Peterson design is appropriate for the West Loop. That site is so large that it would be nice to at least save some of the land for future residential development. WLCO could always pressure them, but as I've mentioned before, I don't have a lot of faith in that organization...

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
to be fair, the Fanny May factory wasnt anything special. It was a 60s era building with surface parking surrounding it.

Im just really dissapointed to hear that the "Sundance styled theater" wont be going in there. Hell, any theater, even a general first run theater, would do WONDERS for the West Loop.
I never really understood how a Sundance-style theater should be sited anywhere but in an existing cultural / educational / entertainment / tourism district or where a lot of educated/culture-oriented urbanites live. Frankly, Block 37 would seem to be a great match for it (or maybe like Mon-Fri it could be Sundance style and Sat-Sun it could rake in necessary downtown-level revenues with blockbuster hits, or something). Patrons would more likely be interested in a good restaurant/cafe/bar before or after. Racine (1200 West) is just the boonies for all of the above, including for foot and/or transit access to the theatre. This site - along the Eisenhower - is better for something needing heavy car access and wanting to appeal to suburban drivers speeding by (like a Target).

-----

On a related note, according to a Target store clerk, the new Wilson Yards store opens July 25, 2010.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 4:31 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ The more I think about it, I do have one concern.

That site is huge!

There is no way the parking will be below or above the store. I'm guessing Target will go for a store more like their one on Peterson--parking on the side, but "covered".

It certainly is far better than a suburban design, but a part of me doesn't think the Peterson design is appropriate for the West Loop. That site is so large that it would be nice to at least save some of the land for future residential development. WLCO could always pressure them, but as I've mentioned before, I don't have a lot of faith in that organization...
yeah i was thinking that too. it would be nice if the Target would be part of a large mixed use development that included other commercial space and condos/rental units. A site so close to the expressway as well as the Blue Line (both the Racine and UIC-Halsted stops are very convenient to the site) should demand a nice & tall highrise. but we all know the hissy fit WLCO would throw if that were proposed. The neighborhood is only what? 8 blocks from the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere? God forbid something taller than 8 floors gets built there!

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 6:02 AM

Anyone notice the mega awning they are building on the Sullivan Center? I have not noticed this before.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 1:18 PM
dream fast

Great sets, Hayward^.

What's going in at Chicago & Clark... CVS, Walgreens, a bank?

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 3:11 PM
The City

^ I think somebody said a while back that the neighbor will be using the second floor of that space (a spa or something?). Not sure about the first floor.

Suburbia in Wrigleyville?
WRIGLEYVILLE | Outrage after alderman OKs development across street from ballpark

May 14, 2010
BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter
Bar, theater and restaurant owners lambasted Ald. Tom Tunney (44th) on Thursday for endorsing a $100 million mixed-use development across the street from Wrigley Field that will sweep them out of the "cool, hip neighborhood."

Roughly eight neighborhood businesses would be displaced to make way for "Addison Park on Clark," a project at Addison and Clark that includes a 137-room Hyatt Hotel, 135 residential units, 145,000 square feet of retail space and 399 underground parking spaces.

The displaced include iO Theater, formerly known as ImprovOlympic, 3541 N. Clark; Bar Louie, 3545 N. Clark; Salt & Pepper Diner, 3537 N. Clark; Goose Island Beer Co., 3535 N. Clark, and Red Ivy, 3519 N. Clark.

Earlier this week, Tunney endorsed the project and took it to a final community meeting. M&R Development revealed that prospective tenants include Best Buy, Dominick's, an Apple Store and a CVS Pharmacy.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 3:43 PM

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.c...t-to-open.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trib article on Buddy Guy relocating Legend's up the block
The famed South Loop blues club has operated at 754 South Wabash Avenue since 1989, and has hosted countless musical giants, including Willie Dixon, Bo Diddley, Lou Rawls, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Clapton. But since the late ‘90s Guy has been hunting for a new location because Columbia College, which owns the property, had plans to expand there.

“Columbia College plans to demolish the building after Buddy Guy moves into his new facility,” says Columbia spokesman Steve Kauffman. “We have no immediate plans to build on that site after demolition. The building would require extensive modifications and repairs for Columbia College to utilize it.”
Great, more taxpayer-subsidized land-banking on Wabash downtown. The building is a piece of crap and hardly worth saving, but better a dilapidated building with a crappy bar/restaurant space than a gravel lot.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 4:00 PM

Quote:
^ I think somebody said a while back that the neighbor will be using the second floor of that space (a spa or something?). Not sure about the first floor.

WRIGLEYVILLE | Outrage after alderman OKs development across street from ballpark

May 14, 2010
Bar, theater and restaurant owners lambasted Ald. Tom Tunney (44th) on Thursday for endorsing a $100 million mixed-use development across the street from Wrigley Field that will sweep them out of the "cool, hip neighborhood."

Roughly eight neighborhood businesses would be displaced to make way for "Addison Park on Clark," a project at Addison and Clark that includes a 137-room Hyatt Hotel, 135 residential units, 145,000 square feet of retail space and 399 underground parking spaces.

The displaced include iO Theater, formerly known as ImprovOlympic, 3541 N. Clark; Bar Louie, 3545 N. Clark; Salt & Pepper Diner, 3537 N. Clark; Goose Island Beer Co., 3535 N. Clark, and Red Ivy, 3519 N. Clark.

Earlier this week, Tunney endorsed the project and took it to a final community meeting. M&R Development revealed that prospective tenants include Best Buy, Dominick's, an Apple Store and a CVS Pharmacy.
I support the project but I'm a little sympathetic to the argument against having a Best Buy and Dominick's right next to Wrigley. But then again, why aren't these people pressuring drive thru McDonalds and Taco Bell right across the street and Dunkin Donuts a bit farther south to close up?

iO will likely move into the now defunct Lakeshore Theatre building. Bar Louie and Goose Island are both sufficiently corporate and high end enough to rent in the newly built building. The diner is done.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 4:06 PM

Quote:

May 14, 2010

Useful retail/services in a dense multipurpose development being built on underused land next to an L station for the people that live in Lakeview/Wrigleyville versus a few chain bars which have been offered first dibs along Clark in the new retail space.

I eagerly await the start of the bulldozers.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 4:06 PM
The City

^ You have to admit, this will surely kill some of the feel of Wrigleyville. McDonald's and Taco Bell are different--they make for great munchies after a night of drinking.

I have to say, though, that I for one won't personally care. I never took much interest in that Cubs sportsbar scene, and maybe it's a good thing to dilute some of the drunken revelry with other businesses and perhaps force more people to go drinking in the side streets (Sheffield, Captain Morgan's, etc) while allowing Clark to develop into a more proper neighborhood-servicing commercial strip (I'm sure the Dominick's would be nice).

But if I were one of those Cubbie post-game drunkards, I'd probably be a bit concerned with the change of scenery that will certainly alter the character of this strip.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 4:24 PM
1st Ward

it will kill a lot of the feel of the neighborhood. most of the commercial buildings on Clark are older brick buildings. To add something new, flashy, and glassy is gonna really change the dynamics and feel of the neighborhood. Id have no problem if this were going up on an empty lot, or replacing the McDonalds kiddy corner from the ballpark. But to destroy fully leased useful buildings seems like a waste, and a potential disaster for one of the most lively after-hours neighborhoods in the city.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 4:39 PM
The City

^ The beauty of this development is that it would probably kick off a process of driving up property values and we would be more likely to see that Taco Bell & other underutilized sites developed, as well as the "triangle building" proposed by the Cubs.

The McDonald's site? I don't see that being redeveloped any time soon. McDonald's has the ability and wherewithal to hang on to prime real estate in perpetuity with their little drive thru stores (see River North)

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
it will kill a lot of the feel of the neighborhood. most of the commercial buildings on Clark are older brick buildings. To add something new, flashy, and glassy is gonna really change the dynamics and feel of the neighborhood. Id have no problem if this were going up on an empty lot, or replacing the McDonalds kiddy corner from the ballpark. But to destroy fully leased useful buildings seems like a waste, and a potential disaster for one of the most lively after-hours neighborhoods in the city.
Much of this development *will* go on underutilized land. Well, underutilized from my perspective, anyway. Looking at the buildings to be razed along Addison, the only building I will miss will be the building with the Starbucks in it: a charming 3 story, brick building. Most of the rest? One story, unremarkable commercial buildings that aren't enhancing the neighborhood an iota (except for those looking for tickets on game days). And thankfully, the empty lot on sheffield/addison will be gone.

True, the buildings lining clark are well used and have that classic Chicago feel. But I wouldn't say that any individual building there is worth saving. None are remarkable, IMO.

Looking at the cost/benefit of the entire project: we lose some nice, well utilized buildings, but gain nearly an entire city block of densely built commercial, residential and hotel space, much of which is built on underutilized land in a prime, transit friendly location.

How a person could view the project as a net loss is beyond me...

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 5:01 PM
THAT Guy

^Even if all of the proposed tenants make it into this development I'm guessing there's still enough space for at least a few of the existing businesses in the new building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
Great, more taxpayer-subsidized land-banking on Wabash downtown. The building is a piece of crap and hardly worth saving, but better a dilapidated building with a crappy bar/restaurant space than a gravel lot.
I'm willing to wait. Years back Columbia earmarked that parcel for a campus center. This is just a conceptual design by VDTA but I'm expecting that an arts school + campus center = bold design.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 5:42 PM

^ Here's hoping --- and you're right, in fairness Columbia showed with the Studio Gang film center that they are committed to good design in a way that Loyola, for example, isn't.

re: Wrigleyville, do we know the configuration of retail? How many retail spaces there will be, and will there be a healthy mix of different sizes to accomodate different types of business? As long as the Clark Street frontage is primarily devoted to restaurants and bars and any other liquor-serving establishments, and all other uses (e.g. the potential big box) are accessed from Addison, then Clark should be able to retain it's vibrancy and Addison would get an upgrade from its current character of block-long-curb-cut-through-cracked-narrow-sidewalk.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcu View Post
iO will likely move into the now defunct Lakeshore Theatre building. Bar Louie and Goose Island are both sufficiently corporate and high end enough to rent in the newly built building. The diner is done.
I was told by one of the instructors at iO that the new development will include an upgraded theater and classroom spaces for them.

This was over a year ago, before the redesign, I don't know if that's still in the plans or not.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
^ Here's hoping --- and you're right, in fairness Columbia showed with the Studio Gang film center that they are committed to good design in a way that Loyola, for example, isn't.

re: Wrigleyville, do we know the configuration of retail? How many retail spaces there will be, and will there be a healthy mix of different sizes to accomodate different types of business? As long as the Clark Street frontage is primarily devoted to restaurants and bars and any other liquor-serving establishments, and all other uses (e.g. the potential big box) are accessed from Addison, then Clark should be able to retain it's vibrancy and Addison would get an upgrade from its current character of block-long-curb-cut-through-cracked-narrow-sidewalk.
The larger retail spaces are all on the 2nd level (access off Addison) with the spaces at ground level on Clark/Addison being in the 4,000-8,000 sq ft range to specifically appeal to bars and restaurants.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 6:48 PM

It's too bad we're losing the Red Ivy building--that's got some charm--and I wish the development was a bit taller, but on the whole I'm fairly happy with the development. That 7-eleven at Sheffield and Addision, the parking lot to the west and those one-story cinder block T-shirt shops along Addison are a blight, especially in such a prominent location. It's not perfect, but it's a big improvement on balance. Plus, we also lose those hideous billboards!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development