HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 4:34 AM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2018 in New York City

For those of you who have been around SSP for a long time, you may remember I once lived in New York, and New York was one of the 3 core galleries that I started off with on my website (the others being Hong Kong and Toronto). That was 2006. Fast track to 2018, I made my triumphant return to re-visit some places that I once frequented, as well as the changes that have happened since.

The biggest change is Freedom Tower. I went up the original World Trade Center's observation deck before 9/11, so this re-visit had brought back a lot of memories. The views are spectacular, albeit also sad.

Many pencil towers have gone up in the past decade, crowding out the Empire State Building's dominance.

I vividly recall the summer where I walked the bridges and enjoyed the lovely views every second along the way.

The Jersey side has also a few new additions as well. I still think the waterfront area is a nice place to live, perhaps far cheaper, but still within close proximity of Manhattan's offices.

I didn't frequent the western part of Manhattan back in 2006, so this walk through TriBeCa up towards the Meatpacking District was refreshing and new. The winter blue sky was crisp but it wasn't too cold either. Picture perfect.

I had friends paying an extraordinary amount of money living in a historic rowhouse in the Upper East Side. Conditions inside were not too pleasant and disproportionate to the amount of money they are paying. Back in 2006, I was happily housed in the Connecticut suburbs, not minding the train ride into the city on the Metro North.

Washington Square Park was busy with not only NYU students. On such a nice day, why not sit out here and enjoy some rays?

More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/newyork.htm

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post

I like this shot of this new tower!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 12:47 AM

I misss the time when I was in NYC, it was great memory.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 6:11 PM
Hong Kong

Around this time every year, the documentaries about 9/11 fill up TV schedules. It reminded me that I haven't posted everything from my last trip to New York. I've been to the USS Intrepid before, but my buddy wanted a look and I was happy to return and refresh my photos with a much better camera this time.

Life out at sea isn't easy, especially when you are gone for long periods at a time.

More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/newyork.htm

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 8:53 PM
Reach for the Clouds

Amazing how much the NYC and Jersey City skylines have changed in the short time since you took these photos. Good post HK.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 10:58 AM
Hong Kong

The High Line was once a functioning railway that was built between 1929-1934. It was left abandoned for many years until residents suggested saving it from demolition in 1999. It then was transformed into an elevated urban park in stages, starting in 2009. From the southern end around 12th Street in the Meatpacking District, the park passes through many renewed buildings as it meanders north towards the huge Hudson Yards redevelopment in Midtown, at around 34th Street.

The massive London Terrace consists of 2 long rows of apartment buildings. Completed in 1930 with posh facilities such as a swimming pool, filling the 1665 units during the Great Depression proved difficult.

More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/ny-highline.htm

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 12:56 PM
BANNED

Great photos!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos