HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah it's definitely great. Once those venues are back in a fuller (maybe not full, but fuller) swing then it would be a great place to live for certain people.

Don't forget about 2 new buildings that are supposed to be built right near there. Have they started construction?
1. 4740 N Winthrop - 84 units with building permits issued in February and March 2020

2. 4806 N Magnolia - 54 unit with retail, with building permits issued in April and June 2020.

If all of these truly complete, then that's 314 new units right near the Lawrence stop.
4806 N Magnolia is finishing up exterior work:
https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/02/con...in-uptown.html

I think you maybe meant 4750 N Winthrop. That's also finishing up its exterior:
https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/02/ext...n-uptown.htmll

There are also 30 units finishing up at 4712 N Sheridan:
https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/02/ext...in-uptown.html

That's not to mention everything down near Wilson:
4601 N Broadway (just starting): 200 units
4600 N. Kenmore (plan commission approved): 62 units
4501 N Sheridan (proposed, looks to be by right?): 40 units? http://www.mavrekdevelopment.com/available-properties
1124 W. Wilson (close to completion): 76 units
1050 W. Wilson: 86 units
And further north, 5051 N Broadway: 370 units
A bit west, 56 units at 4511 N. Clark: https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/01/zon...in-uptown.html

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 2:25 PM
The City

Quote:
A new construction permit was issued for 670 N May (Ogden) to construct a new 8 story, 113 unit building. This is basically next to the highway and not far from the Chicago Blue Line stop. On the other side of the highway is a new residential high rise (i think high rise..).

This will replace a generic 1 story building and a little bit of surface lot.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/XikggST6Zsrf3noT6
No matter how that new building will look, it’s going to be a massive improvement over what’s there.

But if/when people begin riding the Blue Line en masse again, those trains are going to be packed to the gills

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
No matter how that new building will look, it’s going to be a massive improvement over what’s there.

But if/when people begin riding the Blue Line en masse again, those trains are going to be packed to the gills
Yea the blue line is insane during rush hours. When I lived near the Division stop a few years ago it was common to wait for a couple trains to pass before I could get on in the morning... and a lot of res units have been delivered since then.

It's so awesome to see the area around the Chicago stop getting some love though.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 3:41 PM

Regarding the May Street project, the one story building got knocked down at the end of last year. It'll be nice to see them start digging for the new building soon.

Also, the glass on the south side of the Fulton Lab building is starting to be installed today. I think a few pieces were installed on the north side at the beginning of the week.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
I get in at the Damen stop and many days had to wait for 4-5 trains before I could squeeze myself on... Rarely anyone gets off before Grand or Clark/Lake. I know there's some modernization efforts but I hope more flexible remote work helps to spread the rush out more when things go back to "normal." WFH in morning and head into office at 11am sounds fine to me
All the more reason for a true circle line. I love the density developments along the blue line corridor but it's far past capacity and even with signal upgrades I dont see it gaining much more capacity. If anything the shift to more work from home and flex hours will be the paradigm shift that makes this density + current track capacity work best. We broke and unless uncle rides in with tons of Federal dollars it just aint happening in our lifetimes.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 3:43 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
I get in at the Damen stop and many days had to wait for 4-5 trains before I could squeeze myself on... Rarely anyone gets off before Grand or Clark/Lake. I know there's some modernization efforts but I hope more flexible remote work helps to spread the rush out more when things go back to "normal." WFH in morning and head into office at 11am sounds fine to me
Just curious, is that still the case today?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 3:56 PM
TL;DR

Quote:

River West is really part of downtown, you don't have to rely on the Blue Line as much. Pre-Covid, a lot of the people in River West would bike or Divvy to work since it's so close, and there are good bike lanes on Milwaukee/Hubbard/Kinzie. The Milwaukee bus is also an option, or the Grand & Chicago buses for folks that work in River North. For West Loop jobs, a lot of people walk as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0 View Post
All the more reason for a true circle line. I love the density developments along the blue line corridor but it's far past capacity and even with signal upgrades I dont see it gaining much more capacity. If anything the shift to more work from home and flex hours will be the paradigm shift that makes this density + current track capacity work best. We broke and unless uncle rides in with tons of Federal dollars it just aint happening in our lifetimes.
I'm not sure how a circle line that doesn't even go downtown would help with the Blue Line capacity...? I think the easiest/cheapest way to relieve the Blue Line is to add a few infill stops to the UP-NW Metra line and run trains every 15 minutes out to Des Plaines. The line already has 3 tracks, so it wouldn't foul up the express trains for the suburbanites.

You could also look at automating the Blue Line so trains come every few minutes (and you'd get nice features like platform doors, etc).

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 5:48 PM

Here is a rendering for the Ogden Street project - official address might be something like 1140 W Erie St

Source: https://chicago.suntimes.com/busines...wn-development

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 2:54 AM

I was thinking the circle line would allow people boomeranging out of the loop to UIC, Rush, Medical District to bypass downtown or let trains inbound transfer into the circle line to alleviate congestion at morning rush hour and run the trains into the loop from the forest park side which is not as burdened at morning rush hour. Reverse in evening rush.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 3:15 PM

The Planning Commission approved an amendment to allow res construction north of Lake in Fulton Market, wonder if we'll see any big proposals in the coming months.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
The Planning Commission approved an amendment to allow res construction north of Lake in Fulton Market, wonder if we'll see any big proposals in the coming months.
Sterling Bay is already teasing one at the former AMD Mill site. Block Club reported they are thinking residential for the site now. No renderings, just talk. Really hoping to get the Metra station there before it goes up, though seems unlikely now given there needs to be a study first and it hasn't started.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 3:43 PM
The City

Quote:
We definitely will. The only issue is that there will ultimately be more NIMBYism coming from that area

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 4:26 PM

Quote:
I was very excited to see this as well - connecting the residential areas of West Town to West Loop/Fulton Market.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 5:15 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
We definitely will. The only issue is that there will ultimately be more NIMBYism coming from that area
Eh, I'm guessing any new res will be mostly rental. We don't tend to get too much NIMBYism from rental buildings.

The city is also setting a "goal" of 30% affordability in new buildings for this area, with the expectation that some TIF subsidy or tax abatement will be required to make that happen. But even with a subsidy, I doubt high-end condo developers will want to put up a building that is 30% affordable.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 11:32 PM

The hotel on Wentworth in Chinatown is a Springhill Suites by Marriott. Supposed to open next month. Is this the first ever major chain to operate a hotel in Chinatown proper?

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ago-chinatown/

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 12:24 AM

Quote:
The hotel on Wentworth in Chinatown is a Springhill Suites by Marriott. Supposed to open next month. Is this the first ever major chain to operate a hotel in Chinatown proper?

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ago-chinatown/
The Jaslin Hotel on Cermak a few block's west of Wentworth has been open for at least a year or two.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
The Jaslin Hotel on Cermak a few block's west of Wentworth has been open for at least a year or two.
Yes, there are hotels in Chinatown. That wasn't the question though. The question was about whether it's the first time a major national chain, not about any hotel. Jaslin Hotel is operated by a smaller mainland Chinese company, and the other hotels are independent. This is the first time I can remember an actual major national chain being in Chinatown (i.e. Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, etc).

And the reason I bring that up is because from a tourism perspective, it's a semi big deal for the neighborhood.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 4:42 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Yes, there are hotels in Chinatown. That wasn't the question though. The question was about whether it's the first time a major national chain, not about any hotel. Jaslin Hotel is operated by a smaller mainland Chinese company, and the other hotels are independent. This is the first time I can remember an actual major national chain being in Chinatown (i.e. Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, etc).

And the reason I bring that up is because from a tourism perspective, it's a semi big deal for the neighborhood.
Well, the McCormick Place hotels are a stone's throw away from there, so it's not like there was no place to stay, but this is great news!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 1:12 PM

Tribune Tower Rehab - 425 N Michigan

Feb 16

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 3:13 PM
The City

Quote:

Yes

And if it’s successful, I hope we see one or two more

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development