HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 7:41 PM
TL;DR

Focal Point was supposed to include everything from 31st down to the RR tracks. St Anthony's bought maybe 60% of what they need from private sellers but the city has been holding up the sale of the Washburne parcel.

I dunno why you think the city has an alternate plan for the site. Since when has the city ever been proactive about planning? To me it seems like a typical case of Chicago politics and backroom dealing, coupled with a greenhorn alderman who doesn't want to anger the two big organizations vying for the land (or three if you count the Mi Villita people).

Focal Point always seemed like a nice idea to me, but it doesn't seem like it could be remotely profitable. I think part of the city's (or the alderman's) reluctance to sell to them is the fear that St Anthony's is just pretending they can pull it off, then they will come back with their hand out again for TIF money, tax breaks, etc when the obviously money-losing project doesn't pencil out.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Focal Point was supposed to include everything from 31st down to the RR tracks. St Anthony's bought maybe 60% of what they need from private sellers but the city has been holding up the sale of the Washburne parcel.

I dunno why you think the city has an alternate plan for the site. Since when has the city ever been proactive about planning? To me it seems like a typical case of Chicago politics and backroom dealing, coupled with a greenhorn alderman who doesn't want to anger the two big organizations vying for the land (or three if you count the Mi Villita people).

Focal Point always seemed like a nice idea to me, but it doesn't seem like it could be remotely profitable. I think part of the city's (or the alderman's) reluctance to sell to them is the fear that St Anthony's is just pretending they can pull it off, then they will come back with their hand out again for TIF money, tax breaks, etc when the obviously money-losing project doesn't pencil out.

good points. just wish SOMETHING would happen...that intersection has gotta be one of the bleakest in the city

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 6:01 PM
Plenary pleasures.

**MODERATOR EDIT***

I moved all of the random furniture store/FL pissing contest discussion to the Chicago General Discussion thread, go there to argue with each other:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...08431&page=121

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 12:14 AM

The 1 story building at Racine & Jackson which housed Hubbard Street Dance Company was issued a building permit yesterday to build a new 8 story, 72 unit building in its place

https://www.google.com/maps/place/30...!4d-87.6567001

The development is called CA6 and is from Belgravia.
https://ca6condos.com

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 12:21 AM

That's some great looking brickwork. Hopefully the actual product is as good as the rendering.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 12:46 PM

Now that's some good infill. I love the nod to the old Chicago entry portals

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 1:25 PM

Building permit was issued yesterday to tear down the AFM grain silos building in Fulton Market at 1300 W Carroll. Sterling Bay owns this now. Can someone remind me of the plans other than a potential new Metra station there?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 2:50 PM

Those guys seem like the only people around putting up condos lately. And they seem to be doing well, which is why I do not understand why there are not more condo projects. I know it is in the West Loop so super hot area but there IS demand for more condos. Not everyone wants to rent.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Building permit was issued yesterday to tear down the AFM grain silos building in Fulton Market at 1300 W Carroll. Sterling Bay owns this now. Can someone remind me of the plans other than a potential new Metra station there?
talked with some of the guys working at the ADM silos a few years back when this latest surge started. They were very bummed that they would need to travel to the suburbs for work - a much longer commute.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Those guys seem like the only people around putting up condos lately. And they seem to be doing well, which is why I do not understand why there are not more condo projects. I know it is in the West Loop so super hot area but there IS demand for more condos. Not everyone wants to rent.
I think we have about 15 months of condo inventory for sale right now in the broader downtown area. So this demand for more condos does not show up in the data.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 5:07 PM

Quote:
That's disheartening, hoped for a cool rehab of this building.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
I think we have about 15 months of condo inventory for sale right now in the broader downtown area. So this demand for more condos does not show up in the data.
Hmmmm, did not realize, just SEEMS that way to me. Pesky facts and data getting in the way of my thoughts again. At all price points?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
That's some great looking brickwork. Hopefully the actual product is as good as the rendering.
Rendering done by me! Yeah I hope it turns out like this. I'd love to do a render vs reality comparison.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
Rendering done by me! Yeah I hope it turns out like this. I'd love to do a render vs reality comparison.
Great work!. I hope they stick with that color and don't go with tomato like 800 W. Fulton

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm, did not realize, just SEEMS that way to me. Pesky facts and data getting in the way of my thoughts again. At all price points?
TONS coming on with Vista and just a bit further out Cascade, Cirrus, Parkline, 300 N. Michigan and another building approved for Columbus in New Eastside. All of that is luxury, of course, and in the eastern part of downtown. Not sure the same holds for West Loop (which I think was your particular interest)...

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
That's disheartening, hoped for a cool rehab of this building.
I think the actual silos will stay but not sure of the overall plans minus the metra statiom

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 9:45 PM

^Some of the developments you stated are apartments and don't have any for sale condos. Vista has about 200 condos remaining, Parkline is mostly apartments with 20 condos, and Cirrus I believe have 300 or so condos. Everything else you mentioned is hotel and apartments.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 10:04 PM

There are several condo projects under construction and in-the-works for the West Loop.

* 1400 Monroe
* 210-240 S Green Street
* Peoria Green
* 15 N Elizabeth
* CA6 Condos (site prep)
* 1123 W Randolph Street
* EVEQ West Loop (i think the status for this project is Delivered - not sure)

Approved or In-the-Process to be Approved

* 19 N May Street (Approved)
* 23 South Sangamon (Resubmitted Design for Approval)

I'm sure I've left a few off the list.

Quote:

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 11:03 PM

Quote:
There are constantly 2-6 unit condo buildings being built in many areas of town (on average 3 units). They arent visible though unless you go on residential streets. You can see the permitting via my map too.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 11:31 PM

Quote:
I think the actual silos will stay but not sure of the overall plans minus the metra statiom
Adaptive re-use ! Upper Limits

(non sparking switches for grain dust filled spaces)

With merit badge centered activities !

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development