HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 5:08 PM

How Finland managed to virtually end homelessness

Opinion piece, from the Toronto Star:

How Finland managed to virtually end homelessness
Given a place to live, Finland’s homeless were better able to deal with addictions and other problems, not to mention handling job applications.

By Linda McQuaig | Contributing Columnist
Thu., April 20, 2023

Determined to pack more homeless people into Toronto’s overcrowded shelters, officials have come up with a solution: reduce the number of inches between beds.

There’s a certain logic to this and it may be the best we can do — given our refusal to consider solutions that would actually be innovative.

And so it is that here in Toronto we’re busy studying how to jam more beds into already-cramped shelters, while over in Finland — where innovation is more than just another word for privatization — they’ve managed to virtually end homelessness.

OK, so the Finns are more generous and just shell out a lot more to help the homeless, right? Actually not. The Finns are simply smarter.

Instead of abandoning the homeless, they housed them. And that led to an insight: people tend to function better when they’re not living on the street or under a bridge. Who would have guessed?

It turns out that, given a place to live, Finland’s homeless were better able to deal with addictions and other problems, not to mention handling job applications. So, more than a decade after the launch of the “Housing First” policy, 80 per cent of Finland’s homeless are doing well, still living in the housing they’d been provided with — but now paying the rent on their own.

This not only helps the homeless, it turns out to be cheaper.

In Canada, however, we’re determined to stick to market-based solutions, no matter how badly they fail or how costly they are.

Indeed, homelessness is just the extreme end of Canada’s dysfunctional housing market, which we’ve left largely in the domain of the private marketplace, creating a huge divide between those who can afford to buy a house and those who can’t.

This has resulted in a large underclass of tenants — roughly one-third of Canadian households — many of whom are little more than a pay cheque away from eviction.

More government intervention required

The situation cries out for more government intervention.

In fact, the government does intervene in the housing market — most notably in ways that actually enhance the privileged position of homeowners by, for instance, sparing them tax on the capital gains they receive on the sale of their homes.

This largely hidden government intervention in the housing market not only amounts to an enormous subsidy for homeowners — costing the federal government almost $10 billion a year in lost revenue — it also further disadvantages tenants by driving up housing prices, putting a home farther out of reach.

Of course, the government also intervenes to increase the housing supply, ostensibly helping tenants. However, these measures often take the form of financial incentives for developers, mostly benefiting developers. The additional rental units created rarely result in lower rents, notes political economist Ricardo Tranjan in his new book “The Tenant Class.”

The best way to benefit low-income renters would be for government to create housing that isn’t based on the profit motive — by building housing itself or subsidizing non-profit groups to do so.

Canada used to be fairly good at this social housing, along with the Europeans. In the late 1960s and early 70s, about 10 per cent of new rental housing built in Canada was social housing.

Canada has exited social housing

But while the Europeans have remained strong in social housing, Canada has almost completely exited the field, with our social housing dropping to just 4 per cent of total households — roughly the same level as the devoutly pro-market U.S.

If we want to deal with our dysfunctional housing market more effectively than simply pushing the shelter beds more closely together, the answer will involve increasing the supply of housing that isn’t based on the profit motive.

Sadly, this is not on the political agenda, although it’s noteworthy that Toronto City Councillor Josh Matlow is advocating a proposal along these lines as part of his mayoral campaign.

Matlow’s proposal will no doubt be dismissed as impossibly costly by commentators who, as homeowners, quietly benefit from the impossibly costly (although largely hidden) subsidy provided to homeowners.

Link: https://www.thestar.com/opinion/cont...0RtyEWIzZ9wwzU

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 5:11 PM

I also believe that government intervention would be better to address the homelessness issue in the US; we need to stop depending on charity/non-profits for social services and we definitely need to stop using the capitalist model to "solve" the homelessness crisis (and stop commodifying education, and medical care, etc...).

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 5:15 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I also believe that government intervention would be better to address the homelessness issue in the US; we need to stop depending on charity/non-profits for social services and we definitely need to stop using the capitalist model to "solve" the homelessness crisis.
The problem with a lot of homeless is that they are either mentally ill or refuse to live a structured existence; in lieu of housing, they'd have to adhere to some ground rules. I'm not sure how Finland dealt with these factors.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
The problem with a lot of homeless is that they are either mentally ill or refuse to live a structured existence; in lieu of housing, they'd have to adhere to some ground rules. I'm not sure how Finland dealt with these factors.
They probably got them medical help to deal with their mental and medical problems in an efficient and effective manner. In the US, even if you have insurance, you have to go through all types of paperwork and dealing with multiple agencies at all government levels, it can sometimes be a paid in the a* . And even if you do, you are sometimes hit with unexpected bills and then calls demanding payment.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 5:48 PM

Quote:
My friend told me about a similar pilot program in Germany that has been successful. The gist was that they house them, offer guidance, but don't create many rules. I didn't ask for an article about it, but apparently the pilot has been a success, with an overwhelming percentage of the participants finding employment on their own (I think like +70%).

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 7:15 PM
Great White Norf

I've talked about Finland's success ad nauseam for a couple of years now in the Canada subforum to anyone that would listen of how to tackle Canada's growing homelessness problem.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 7:57 PM

I am skeptical of this or other success stories from small, monocultural countries. Such places can "solve" some of the problems that exist in bigger, multi-cultural societies, but then they fail to tackle problems that simply don't exist in the United States or Canada.

Canada, obviously, like the United States has become very multicultural, and each of its major cities are very different from each other. Finland has one city and it's populated almost entirely by middle-class people who share a common ethnic, religious, and class history. There isn't going to be the "tight-loose" conflict that exists in multicultural societies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-64c3c233b0ba/

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 8:05 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
I suspect to a large extent it's simply that homelessness and the stress of impending homelessness is what causes or exasperates a lot of mental health and addiction issues to begin with. If so, it's less that Finland found some magic way of dealing with such issues and more that if if you prevent chronic homelessness these aren't issues you need to deal to the same extent in the first place.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 8:12 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Most countries are smaller and less multicultural than the US. Therefore these make the two perfect excuses not to implement best practices found in almost any other place even if there's no evidence these factors have any relevance. Whatever difference that exists in other places is always the reason why their ideas can't be adopted.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Most countries are smaller and less multicultural than the US. Therefore these make the two perfect excuses not to implement best practices found in almost any other place even if there's no evidence these factors have any relevance. Whatever difference that exists in other places is always the reason why their ideas can't be adopted.

Things that "work" in one culture don't work in others, often because other factors are at play that aren't apparent in the appearance of the fix. I highly recommend this book:
https://www.michelegelfand.com/rule-...-rule-breakers

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Most countries are smaller and less multicultural than the US. Therefore these make the two perfect excuses not to implement best practices found in almost any other place even if there's no evidence these factors have any relevance.
Right? As if different cultures can't come together and come to a consensus for a common goal. We're all human after all.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 9:02 PM
你的媽媽

There needs to be a multipronged approach to addressing homelessness since homelessness in of itself is often multifactorial. Not only do we need to build more affordable housing, reinforce safety nets and include opportunity for jobs/income, but also increase access to inpatient addiction treatment and acute and long term mental health hospitals. For those that are unable to make these decisions for themselves resulting in conduct detrimental to society, there should be pathways in place where treatment is mandatory.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
I am skeptical of this or other success stories from small, monocultural countries. Such places can "solve" some of the problems that exist in bigger, multi-cultural societies, but then they fail to tackle problems that simply don't exist in the United States or Canada.

Canada, obviously, like the United States has become very multicultural, and each of its major cities are very different from each other. Finland has one city and it's populated almost entirely by middle-class people who share a common ethnic, religious, and class history. There isn't going to be the "tight-loose" conflict that exists in multicultural societies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-64c3c233b0ba/

What the U.S. does clearly doesn't work so why not try something that has a proven record?

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
There needs to be a multipronged approach to addressing homelessness since homelessness in of itself is often multifactorial. Not only do we need to build more affordable housing, reinforce safety nets and include opportunity for jobs/income, but also increase access to inpatient addiction treatment and acute and long term mental health hospitals. For those that are unable to make these decisions for themselves resulting in conduct detrimental to society, there should be pathways in place where treatment is mandatory.
100% agree

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 9:33 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
My friend told me about a similar pilot program in Germany that has been successful. The gist was that they house them, offer guidance, but don't create many rules. I didn't ask for an article about it, but apparently the pilot has been a success, with an overwhelming percentage of the participants finding employment on their own (I think like +70%).
This might work in Europe but not sure if this would translate well here with an American penchant of 'you can't tell me what to do' individualism. My mom worked with the indigent population for a number of years as a social worker and always said you can't have the rehabilitation without some structure and many don't want anything of that; come and go as they please, no adherence to rules or policies.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 9:56 PM

Quote:
This might work in Europe but not sure if this would translate well here with an American penchant of 'you can't tell me what to do' individualism. My mom worked with the indigent population for a number of years as a social worker and always said you can't have the rehabilitation without some structure and many don't want anything of that; come and go as they please, no adherence to rules or policies.
Well that's exactly the assumption that the European countries are challenging, that you need to force structure on people to get them housed and motivated to participate in the work force.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 11:06 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Right? As if different cultures can't come together and come to a consensus for a common goal. We're all human after all.
In America you're human if you're part of the Haves, and sub-human if you're part of the Have Nots.

ex: Jordan Neely was choked to death by Daniel Penny under the guise of a "good Samaritan" standing up for his fellow subway "Have" passengers.
When in reality he had no weapon to inflict violence on anyone. He was hungry, thirsty and suffering from mental illness compounded by homelessness.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 11:44 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Well that's exactly the assumption that the European countries are challenging, that you need to force structure on people to get them housed and motivated to participate in the work force.
A lot of those who aren't mentally ill do not want this and the mentally ill would have to be 'housed' against their will which opens up a whole other complex issue. This is what lead to deinstitutionalization of the 70's and 80's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
In America you're human if you're part of the Haves, and sub-human if you're part of the Have Nots.

ex: Jordan Neely was choked to death by Daniel Penny under the guise of a "good Samaritan" standing up for his fellow subway "Have" passengers.
When in reality he had no weapon to inflict violence on anyone. He was hungry, thirsty and suffering from mental illness compounded by homelessness.
Not sure if I buy this. For two reasons; first, you don't have to be armed to injure or even kill someone and second, the public has a right not to be victim of violence simply because the perpetrator is mentally ill. I've been in a scary situation in DC where this crazy homeless guy was threatening me and two older women in their 60's...they were petrified.

It's tragic that Neely died senselessly but the system ultimately failed him since he was on the city's radar for years considering they knew his history and the extent of his mental illness.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Finland has cold winters that are hard to survive outdoors

It has far lower levels of drug addiction than the U.S. Their homeless are mostly alcoholics that are easier to rehabilitate.

And they use police enforcement for homeless who don’t adhere to certain standards. If they bother the public or even look like they might bother the public, they go to jail.

The warmer weather European countries may have decriminalized drug use, but they have not decriminalized causing a public disturbance, theft and other minor crimes. They’re very strict against public drug use to tell the truth.

Institutionalizing the people who are actually crazy probably helps with rehabbing the other homeless much easier.
Knocking on prison’s door: a 10-fold rise in the number of psychotic prisoners in Finland during the years 2005–2016

Last edited by galleyfox; May 16, 2023 at 12:10 AM.

Old Posted May 16, 2023, 12:07 AM

Quote:
European countries institutionalize the severely mentally ill.

European homeless are mostly just drunks and the functional drug addicts, and they do use prison to deter stuff like open drug dealing and camping on streets.

American homeless includes a lot of people who are clinically insane, and drug addicts who take advantage of lenient arrest policies.

It’s no surprise that housing works for the first group and fails for the second.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions