HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
The Census Bureau doesn't allow any "religious" responses.

So if one writes "Jewish" it is not tabulated. If one writes "Russian Jewish" or "American Jewish" they are tabulated are "Russian" or "American."

The Census Bureau did collect religious data in the late 1950s, but never released it and declined to add a religion question to the 1960 census. The American Jewish Committee led the fight against a religion question.
Thank God. We might've needed a Good Friday agreement here too lol.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 8:15 PM

"The Boston Irish identity was formed as a result of community solidarity as well as social exclusion by entrenched Yankees, the other historic identity in the city. In other major Irish communities, such as Chicago and Buffalo, the Irish contributed to the development of urban institutions and society. In Boston, by contrast, the Irish arrived in an old city with a historically dominant group of English Puritan stock."

- via The Encyclopedia of American Folklife

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
There's a lot of generalized global attraction. You see the newer private schools for expat communities, the newer progressive schools, opening in Brooklyn, not Manhattan. Manhattan is more New Yorky.
Populations born in the UK and France is probably a pretty good proxy for the size of "transnational professional elites" (since there's no British or French ethnic enclaves obviously).

Battery Park

Born in UK 3.5%
Born in France 2.1%

Tribeca

Born in UK 3%
Born in France 0.7%

Soho

Born in France 2.3%
Born in UK 1.4%

Carroll Gardens

Born in UK 2.6%
Born in France 2.3%

Park Slope

Born in UK 1.6%
Born in France 0.5%

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 12:17 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Populations born in the UK and France is probably a pretty good proxy for the size of "transnational professional elites" (since there's no British or French ethnic enclaves obviously).

Battery Park

Born in UK 3.5%
Born in France 2.1%

Tribeca

Born in UK 3%
Born in France 0.7%

Soho

Born in France 2.3%
Born in UK 1.4%

Carroll Gardens

Born in UK 2.6%
Born in France 2.3%

Park Slope

Born in UK 1.6%
Born in France 0.5%
Language certainly factors into that though. Brits are way more plug and play in the US.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 1:15 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

I've heard Jews describe themselves as "Russian" and "Polish," but never "German" despite the Ashkenazi having roots in modern-day Germany and Yiddish being a Germanic language.

What's clear is that "American" means something totally different in Manhattan compared to Maine. I also maintain that a decent portion of NYC area Jews put "German" on the census because it's a disproportionately well-represented ancestry in well-known, non-Hasidic Jewish enclaves.

The NYC MSA is 6.8% "German," but that rises to 10% for the UWS and 9% for the UES. Part of this can be attributed to there being more whites, but compare Nassau (9% German) and Bergen (8.1% German) Counties. Both are roughly 60% white, but Nassau is 46% larger, substantially more Jewish, and less German gentile.

I know the Mid-Atlantic received lots of German immigrants, so the majority probably are Catholic/Protestant. But I get the sense that there isn't a "German elite" like there is with the English, whose presence in Manhattan and brownstone Brooklyn is large relative to Italian and Irish. Not a lot of people with the surname "Schmidt" or "Müller" on the co-op boards of the UWS and UES.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 1:26 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
I've heard Jews describe themselves as "Russian" and "Polish," but never "German" despite the Ashkenazi having roots in modern-day Germany and Yiddish being a Germanic language.
We suspect my maternal grandmother could've been ethnically a German Jew.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 1:43 AM

The UWS was home to a lot of Jewish refugees from Berlin and Vienna in the 1930s and 1940s (the small-town German Jews settled in Washington Heights). Still, I'd be surprised if even 10% of NYC area Jews are of German ancestry.

Looking at Westchester, for example, Scarsdale doesn't stick out for German ancestry compared to other towns (it does stick out for Russian, Polish and unspecified Eastern European).

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 1:44 AM

Posted some 1980 foreign born numbers for NYC here:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...&postcount=391

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 1:53 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Heck, even movies set in NYC do a better job of portraying Irish characters:

Home Alone 2: Mr. Duncan, the Central Park pigeon lady
You've Got Mail: Meg Ryan's character "Kathleen Kelly"
Fatal Attraction: Michael Douglas' character "Danny Gallagher"
Cop Land: Harvey Keitel's character "Ray Donlan"
As Good as It Gets: Helen Hunt's character "Carol Connelly"
and Jennifer Connelly in anything

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 1:56 AM

The biggest establishment synagogues in NYC were mostly founded by German Jews, and there was a still a pretty big German Jewish legacy presence in the Upper West Side, Washington Heights and the West Bronx until relatively recently. German Jews were kind of the WASPs of the Jewish population; wealthy, establishment, secular. They were almost a caste above the Eastern European garmentos and the Sephardic merchants.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
and Jennifer Connelly in anything

Jennifer Connelly (and husband Paul Bettany) live a few blocks from my kid's school. Haven't seen them yet, though. She's an extremely beautiful lady.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The biggest establishment synagogues in NYC were mostly founded by German Jews, and there was a still a pretty big German Jewish legacy presence in the Upper West Side, Washington Heights and the West Bronx until relatively recently. German Jews were kind of the WASPs of the Jewish population; wealthy, establishment, secular. They were almost a caste above the Eastern European garmentos and the Sephardic merchants.
The WASPs of the Jewish community description is rather apt.

The Eastern European immigration dwarfed the existing old German Jewish population. Between 1880 and 1920, the Jewish population grew from 80,000 to 1.6 million. Glazer and Moynihan:

"By 1924 there were almost two million Jews in the city. The old German Jewish community, marked off in language, religion, culture, and occupation from the new immigrants, was a tenth part or less of New York Jewry."
"

Last edited by Docere; Apr 14, 2023 at 2:32 AM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 2:32 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
The UWS was home to a lot of Jewish refugees from Berlin and Vienna in the 1930s and 1940s (the small-town German Jews settled in Washington Heights). Still, I'd be surprised if even 10% of NYC area Jews are of German ancestry.

Looking at Westchester, for example, Scarsdale doesn't stick out for German ancestry compared to other towns (it does stick out for Russian, Polish and unspecified Eastern European).
But the fact that German ancestry is more prevalent than Irish and not that far behind Italian should tell you something. It's the same pattern with the UWS and UES, where German ancestry punches well above its weight. NYC metro is like twice as Irish and certainly more than twice as Italian as it is German. That the numbers are even comparable suggests that "German" gets a boost from Jewry.

Even Kiryas Joel reports more "German" ancestry than Polish.

In places that are still mostly Italian/Irish dominant (and therefore less Jewish), you have a smaller Russian, Polish, and Eastern European presence as well as fewer German ancestry (and probably a greater percentage of those being gentiles).

Perhaps there are over a million Tri-Staters with 1/4th or 1/8th German ancestry. But just based on anecdotal observation and experience, NY/NJ/CT doesn't feel like a very German metro. Every time I come across a NYer with a German-sounding surname, I assume they're Jewish. Actors like Steve Guttenberg and Rick Hoffman, whose surnames are more stereotypically German than "Rosenberg" or "Weiss," come to mind.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 2:42 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

NY Metro Area (MSA), according to Statistical Atlas:

Unclassified -- 10.7%
German -- 6.8%
American -- 4.8%
Polish -- 4.0%
Russian -- 2.4%
Hungarian -- 0.9%
European -- 0.8%

NY metro is about 10% Jewish, and it has a decent Polish Catholic population. Unless the vast majority of Jews are accounted for under "Unclassified" and "American," there's almost certainly a good-sized German contribution.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 2:52 AM

German crosses the Protestant-Catholic-Jewish line, perhaps explaining in part why there's no "German American" identity really or "German" residential concentrations. (Catholic) Irish, Italians and Eastern European Jews (obviously) had a common religion that's core to the ethnic identity.

Last edited by Docere; Apr 14, 2023 at 6:22 AM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 3:09 AM

Klein means "small" in both German and Yiddish. Schwartz means black in both German and Yiddish.

Hence, the "overlap." Somebody with the last name Klein in Manhattan is almost certainly Jewish, but in Milwaukee may not be.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 3:41 AM

Most Persians and Syrians for example in the NYC area are Jewish as well. But among the 2 million Jews in the NYC area you'll find Jews with roots in pretty much any country where there are or were Jewish communities. Plus there's converts too and the offspring of mixed marriages.

Last edited by Docere; Apr 14, 2023 at 8:00 AM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 8:43 AM

Quote:
How rich, developed (or sharply disconnected from any previous wave of poorer migration) do countries have to be before they start sending what can be considered "transnational professional elites" as opposed to economic migrants and family reunification immigrants to the US (or other rich nations)?

For instance, in the British and French example, the assumption is that almost no one of those countries is sufficiently desperate in the home country (and leave due to lacking options) nor are they desperate to find enclaves to live together with those "of the old country" in the US (though I guess you can argue rich enclaves with international schools are just upper class versions of enclaves where people don't want their kids assimilating to the "locals").

But it's a spectrum isn't it? I mean, today, Germany, Japan, Italy are pretty well off and have already not sent desperate migrants for well over a generation or two or more so do we assume modern German, Italian and Japanese immigrants (of a certain age) are just as transnational elites as British and French? Maybe just slightly less, because there are still probably older generation migration that bridges the immediate postwar migration and still more "living ties" to previous migrants that perhaps remember immediate post-WWII poverty.

Going further along more recently rich, industrialized countries, Polish or South Korean migrants are still portrayed as closer to the "economic immigrant" side of things because there is an immediate generation of poorer migrants well within their parents' memory to the late 20th/early 21st century (even though young Poles or Koreans are not really "desperate" to emigrate any more and their 20-30 year old generation are already very educated/western in their home country, experienced recent democracy when their parents experienced dictatorships). When I meet a young millennial or even Gen Z Pole or Korean, sometimes their attitude to the US is already similar to the Brit or French expat (e.g. it's a cool country, to experience something different etc. but they no longer see their old country as place to flee in desperation). It seems countries with GDP per capita near 20 K (e.g. Hungary, Poland, Greece, Croatia, Uruguay are close to this point) and above are no longer filled with many people "desperate" to leave (in some cases, these places have shifted to actually other desperate people moving to them instead!). But on the other hand, there are countries just a bit poorer that still send migrants. Romania's GDP per capita is near 15 K and it's surrounded by rich places (the EU) yet as in the recent news, people from there have died risking their life to reach the US. Similar with Russia and China (their GDP per capita are around 15K or slightly less) and people leaving there are very much often in the "getting out for better life" camp (though political also with economic).

Today, archetypal economic migrants like Latin Americans, Chinese, Russians, Middle Easterners etc. still have their own version of transnational elites in the US or Canada (e.g. the archetypal rich kid who lives in luxury in Miami or NYC, California, Vancouver, Toronto is not desperate etc.). But I guess for these groups, the stats are swamped out by economic/working class migrants so their groups' public face is still kind of that.

I guess a kind of line can be seen where the immigrant vs. expat/transnational elite boundary is seen as where the label "immigrant" starts or "the immigrant experience" starts to no longer be the framing narrative. For example, Mexican, Chinese, South Korean, also eastern European -- still get the "my parents moved here for better life, "fish out of water", culture clash between east/west or American/non-American and immigrant experience" pop culture tropes. German, Italian, Irish, also to an extant Japanese, no longer get the recent immigrant trope (though they still might get the funny exchange student trope, or the "US society discriminated against my family back in the day", "my grandparents/parents became American but it was a rocky road to acceptance today from decades/generations past" trope). Brits or French or Canadians or Aussies arriving to the US definitely do not get the immigrant trope (except ironically to draw a contrast). For instance, a Canadian in the US might joke that "well, I'm an immigrant too" but not really internalize it on a gut level or think that anti-immigrant rhetoric is talking about them.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Klein means "small" in both German and Yiddish. Schwartz means black in both German and Yiddish.

Hence, the "overlap." Somebody with the last name Klein in Manhattan is almost certainly Jewish, but in Milwaukee may not be.
Yup. My last name is Zimmerman, which is a pretty common Jewish last name, but it's from a gentile family line (I am it turns out 1/16th Sephardic, but I didn't discover this till adulthood). Zimmerman was just an "occupational" last name after all.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 1:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Yup. My last name is Zimmerman, which is a pretty common Jewish last name, but it's from a gentile family line (I am it turns out 1/16th Sephardic, but I didn't discover this till adulthood). Zimmerman was just an "occupational" last name after all.
I've often heard people associate double Ns with being Jewish in these types of surnames.

So:

Zimmermann - Jewish
Zimmerman - Gentile

But I don't think it's a hard and fast rule.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions