HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
We had a small earthquake in Michigan one of my last years there (2014 I think), maybe in the 3’s? I was at a brain tumor fundraising walk for my brother in SE Michigan and I thought it was just a big truck driving by or something.

Out here in OR on the other hand, the potential for a Cascadia Subuction Zone quake used to keep me up at night while I was living in an unreinforced masonry building downtown. Suffice to say I got out of there shortly after my first year’s lease was up. The thought of how devastated this region will be when that fault finally gives is absolutely horrific.

The Great Lakes region is very blessed in terms of its relatively low incidence of natural disasters.
Was it the DC earthquake from 2011? That was felt in the Detroit area and it's the only earthquake I've ever felt. When it happened I was at work in Manhattan and was texting my sister who was in Detroit. We both felt it at the same time.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
This map is really interesting. Everyone knows about earthquake risk in California and the PNW, but the red zones near St. Louis/Memphis and Charleston would surprise most people, I think. I know of the huge New Madrid quake from the early 1900s (I think?), but just found out recently on a historic tour of Charleston, that the city has been heavily damaged by earthquakes several times in its existence. It seems random when you look at the low risk zones everywhere around it. Same with the New Madrid fault. What makes those small areas so susceptible? They seem more like micro-faults than the continental plate collision on the west coast.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 10:21 PM
BANNED

New Madrid is spooky

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1811%E...id_earthquakes

...The 1811–1812 New Madrid earthquakes (/ˈmædrɪd/) were a series of intense intraplate earthquakes beginning with an initial earthquake of moment magnitude 7.2–8.2 on December 16, 1811, followed by a moment magnitude 7.4 aftershock on the same day. Two additional earthquakes of similar magnitude followed in January and February 1812. They remain the most powerful earthquakes to hit the contiguous United States east of the Rocky Mountains in recorded history...

Contemporary accounts have led seismologists to estimate that these stable continental region earthquakes were felt strongly throughout much of the central and eastern United States, across an area of roughly 50,000 square miles (130,000 km2), and moderately across nearly 3 million km2 (1 million sq mi). The 1906 San Francisco earthquake, by comparison, was felt moderately over roughly 6,200 sq mi (16,000 km2)...

The three earthquakes and their major aftershocks...

Aftermath...

Due to the nature of the underlying rock mass, which contains few fractures or faults, the seismic waves generated from the earthquakes were able to travel great distances without being interrupted. Persons as far away as Canada felt the ground shaking. Intense effects were widely felt in Illinois, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky and Missouri...

First hand accounts reported in news papers

https://history.hanover.edu/texts/18...arthquake.html

Last edited by bnk; Feb 7, 2023 at 10:38 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
It seems random when you look at the low risk zones everywhere around it. Same with the New Madrid fault. What makes those small areas so susceptible? They seem more like micro-faults than the continental plate collision on the west coast.
It’s from an ancient rift in the center of the continent, buried deep beneath the surface.

Like a scar when you get a cut and then push the edges together to stitch and heal. But the skin is never quite right again.

It might be dying out as an active earthquake threat though. Hard to tell.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 10:46 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Was it the DC earthquake from 2011? That was felt in the Detroit area and it's the only earthquake I've ever felt. When it happened I was at work in Manhattan and was texting my sister who was in Detroit. We both felt it at the same time.
I was wrong about it being 2014, it was May 2, 2015 just weeks before I moved to Oregon. It originated 9 miles southeast of Kalamazoo and was a magnitude 4.2. Here's the link to a CNN story. I was at Kensington Metro Park outside Brighton when it happened.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 2:23 PM

Those of you of a particular age will remember the widespread hysteria surrounding a predicted 1990 earthquake in Missouri...schools cancelled classes in anticipation of an earthquake that never happened:
https://www.stltoday.com/news/archiv...32f142df7.html

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 4:33 PM
E pluribus unum

Hah! Yeah, we had earthquake drills at my elementary school in preparation for that.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Hah! Yeah, we had earthquake drills at my elementary school in preparation for that.
I can't think of anything from my youth that came close to the mass hysteria that developed in anticipation of that non-event.

I think the hoax gained traction because the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake was still fresh in everyone's mind. I was watching the World Series live when that happened. That was some surreal live TV! The stadium wasn't damaged at all, from what I remember, but the images from the Bay Bridge and Embarcadero expressway that appeared shortly thereafter were shocking.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 7:49 PM
E pluribus unum

I remember watching video of the damage after the Loma Prieta quake and being nervous whenever I was stopped/parked underneath an overpass for any length of time when I lived in Southern California.

Felt like the entire city of Cincinnati was on edge in November or December 1990 or whenever that New Madrid quake was predicted to strike.

My absolute favorite(?) post-California residency incident was when a 2 pointer struck Flagstaff the Sunday after Thanksgiving in 2014. It was real easy to spot those of us at my apartment complex (self included) who used to live in California because a handful of us were outside looking/smelling for signs of ruptured gas lines...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 8:53 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp View Post
Buffalonians were awakened by a 3.8 magnitude earthquake early this morning. I live 10 miles from the epicenter in West Seneca, and it shook my house and woke me up this morning.
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqua...emap/intensity

Was it felt in any other cities?
Did not feel it in Canada 30-35 miles away from epicentre

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 9:34 PM

I've lived in Southern California for 10+ years, and can only remember really feeling 2-3 earthquakes. I've either slept through or didn't feel so many ~2.0-4.0 quakes. The biggest one I remember feeling was a 7.1 that hit in the desert near Bakersfield, I think. The furniture was rocking, walls shaking, water in the pool was sloshing around like a wave pool, and it went on for what felt like a while. Two days earlier there was a 6.4 'foreshock' in the same location, which I also distinctly felt. I can't imagine feeling these 3.4 quakes hundreds of miles away, as has been discussed here!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp View Post
Buffalonians were awakened by a 3.8 magnitude earthquake early this morning. I live 10 miles from the epicenter in West Seneca, and it shook my house and woke me up this morning.
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqua...emap/intensity

Was it felt in any other cities?

An article last year highlighted an increasing number of quakes in the Great Lakes area.

https://www.greatlakesnow.org/2022/0...s-earthquakes/

How have other cities in the region been doing? Have other cities had earthquakes large enough to feel in recent memory, or a history of quakes.
Felt it up in Amherst near the UB North Campus. Felt like a large heavy tracker trailer was moving on the street. Did cross my mind that it was potentially an earthquake. Turned on the news immediately to get confirmation.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
That was the earthquake centered in northern Virginia that damaged the Washington Monument. It was closed for years due to the numerous cracks that resulted from the quake.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares41 View Post
Felt it up in Amherst near the UB North Campus. Felt like a large heavy tracker trailer was moving on the street. Did cross my mind that it was potentially an earthquake. Turned on the news immediately to get confirmation.
What time did the earthquake happen? My aunt that lives near the Boulevard Mall and didn't feel it at all.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
What time did the earthquake happen? My aunt that lives near the Boulevard Mall and didn't feel it at all.
6:15 am

Old Posted Feb 13, 2023, 4:05 PM

Lake Huron was in the news this past weekend for seemingly the first time ever, as I heard one commentator after another struggle with its pronunciation. It was so bad that at the beginning I thought they were talking about a minor lake I hadn't heard of before, not one of the largest lakes in the world.

Last edited by jmecklenborg; Feb 13, 2023 at 7:33 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2023, 4:38 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

was the ufo balloon over turnip rock?

was it near fort gratiot??

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Lake Huron was in the news this past weekend for seemingly the first time ever, as I heard one commentator after another struggle with its pronunciation. It was so bad that at the beginning I thought they were talking about a minor lake I hadn't heard of before, not one of the largest lakes in the world.
CNN described Lake Huron as being "between Michigan and Canada, right up there" which is technically accurate, but CNN not really knowing where Lake Huron is is pretty worrying.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDipper 80 View Post
CNN described Lake Huron as being "between Michigan and Canada, right up there" which is technically accurate, but CNN not really knowing where Lake Huron is is pretty worrying.
There have been worse.

Long ago, one of the major stations was covering a diplomatic visit with the Japanese royal family, and the reporters thought the emperor was a valet.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 6:43 PM
Registered Ugly

Lake Huron is deep within flyover country to them. The only reason they're even aware of Lake Michigan is because Chicago is on the water.

I'm continually amazed by just how terrible most people's sense of geography is out here on the west coast, particularly anything east of the Rockies. Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin might as well be the same state to them because they all occupy the same place within their smooth-brained mental maps.

I have a theory that west coasters are so convinced that they live in the best place in the US that literally nowhere else matters, so they just have no interest in learning. I'm constantly correcting coworkers where I'm from and I've worked with them for over 5 years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions