HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 1:15 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
Option 2 looks to be the best and what's the black line that has SoFi, a people mover or planned LTR route?
That's the 1.6 mile, $1.8 billion people mover, known as the Inglewood Transit Connector.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
That's the 1.6 mile, $1.8 billion people mover, known as the Inglewood Transit Connector.
The entire Crenshaw/K line cost $2 billion. It's 8.5 miles long and included several miles of elevated and underground construction. I get that these people movers must be entirely grade separated, but still, these costs are incomprehensible.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 3:21 AM

Moved to LAX thread

Last edited by hughfb3; Jun 6, 2023 at 9:49 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 3:40 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Yeesh, at that cost they should just make an LTR subway like the regional connector which is around the same price & length.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
The entire Crenshaw/K line cost $2 billion. It's 8.5 miles long and included several miles of elevated and underground construction. I get that these people movers must be entirely grade separated, but still, these costs are incomprehensible.
It's gonna be extra just being in LA due to increased salary and costs for doing stuff in an urban area (especially now).

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 3:48 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

I think option 1 makes the most sense because A (Blue) Line riders (and future West Santa Ana Branch line riders, and more riders when the C Line is extended to the Norwalk Metrolink station) would be able to connect to the E (Expo) Line more easily.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 4:15 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
We're seeing a corollary here between the loosely parallel Wilshire/Expo pair and the loosely parallel Crenshaw/Sepulveda pair. In each case, the cheaper light rail option that made at least partial use of existing ROW's was built first.

If we were to rewind to the 1980s and the whole methane/sink hole Henry Waxman thing hadn't happened, and we had gotten the original heavy rail plan completed by 1995 or 2000, we'd be in a much different situation, since the heavy rail spines would have been built first.

It just seems like they're lobbing non-transformative light rail lines here and there (San Fernando Valley, K extension to Torrance) to make it look like they're trying when these projects have no hope of making a significant impact.
100%

If LA had a critical mass of heavy rail route mileage (say 50 miles), we'd be seeing more heavy rail projects being built and proposed because it makes sense to extend an existing line or create a branch of an existing line that already has a solid ridership base.

We'll still see the D (Purple) Line extended to Santa Monica eventually as well as a heavy rail extension along Whittier. The real question is if we can extend the B Line down Vermont as one single line. As of now, Metro isn't exploring an elevated option south of Gage — a great way to sabotage the HRT option altogether. It's absolutely essential that this be one continuous line from the SFV to the South Bay.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jun 4, 2023, 4:20 PM

Moved to LAX thread

Old Posted Jun 4, 2023, 8:55 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Wow, I never noticed that. At the very least it looks to be another pick-up/drop-off area, in which case one should wonder why they couldn’t have replaced the parking garages with one massive terminal core that would’ve allowed the TBIT core to be replaced while also serving Terminals 3 and 4.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jun 4, 2023, 8:57 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

All the parking garages in the CTA need to go. We need more terminal space for passengers to spread out. Replace the off-site surface lots with garages and get people in the habit of taking the people mover.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Probably a combination of higher operating costs and too much wear and tear on the track switch mechanisms.
It just occurred to me that the new wye doesn't have any flying crossovers, and that there was no practical way to build them without rising WAY over the Century Freeway and eliminating the existing Aviation/LAX station:
https://www.google.com/maps/search/l...!1e3?entry=ttu

This means that one direction of each possible route will have two at-grade conflict points:
-existing Green line, westbound
-existing Green line to Crenshaw northbound
-new Southbound Crenshaw to Green line eastbound

So even with 15-minute headways, there is a good chance that a train on a two-conflict route will be delayed.

It's kind of amazing, for all of the money spent to build The Century Freeway, Green Line, and Crenshaw Line, that the future capacity of the whole light rail enterprise is severely restricted by this situation.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 3:14 AM
Show me the blueprints

Thought the same. It's maddening.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 3:23 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Looking at google maps...that parking lot for the people mover looks freaking massive and why is the LAX station for the K line taking longer than the other stations?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
Looking at google maps...that parking lot for the people mover looks freaking massive and why is the LAX station for the K line taking longer than the other stations?
I don't see it on Google Maps, but the people mover is going to connect with a consolidated rental car facility, which will be in a huge parking structure:

There's also going to be a people mover storage and maintenance facility:

And yeah, you'd think that the K Line LAX station would be ready in time for when the people mover starts operating.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I don't see it on Google Maps, but the people mover is going to connect with a consolidated rental car facility, which will be in a huge parking structure:
This graphic assumes that Option 2 will become the operating plan.

Also, I just noticed that the stub track for this operation is now visible from outer space:

The more I think about this situation with the wye, the more it gets me upset. There is now no easy or obvious way to substantially improve the situation.

It's bizarre that a fully grade-separated people mover is being built between Inglewood and the stadiums, but the light rail trunk line itself has many grade separations.

Yes, the whole redevelopment of the race track came along after the line was designed and partly u/c, but if there was ever a reason to halt construction, it was for this.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
We'll still see the D (Purple) Line extended to Santa Monica eventually as well as a heavy rail extension along Whittier. The real question is if we can extend the B Line down Vermont as one single line. As of now, Metro isn't exploring an elevated option south of Gage — a great way to sabotage the HRT option altogether. It's absolutely essential that this be one continuous line from the SFV to the South Bay.
Why are you more confident in a heavy rail extension along Whittier than along Vermont? Vermont makes so much more sense to me with dramatically higher density.

Not questioning you since I don't have any knowledge of the long term plans here, just curious.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 3:48 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

There's also going to be a people mover storage and maintenance facility:

And yeah, you'd think that the K Line LAX station would be ready in time for when the people mover starts operating.
Ahh, that ginormous building is a rental car facility.
Here's a screen shot of it and you can see where the LAX station will be:

closer:

Last edited by TWAK; Jun 6, 2023 at 4:01 AM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 4:43 AM
你的媽媽

Is there not going to be a walkway connecting the people mover to T1?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 5:48 AM

Moved to LAX thread

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 5:54 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
There is one connecting station 2 with T1.5 and 1, the main T1 walkway is constructed up to the loop roadway, but will hang out until T1’s concourse 0 is complete in about 5 years before going across the loop and connecting to the buildings.

The above diagram is not drawn to scale and it incorrectly represents where the station 2 bridges connect. It makes it seem like they are both right around the old T2, but this is inaccurate
Gotcha. I was wondering why there were 2 for T2 but none for T1 in that diagram. But yes, I can see on the satellite images that the Center CTA station will have 2 pedestrian walkways, one on the West side of the platform connecting to T2, and one on the East side of the platform connecting to T1.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 6:07 AM
你的媽媽

Here is the expansion plan hughfb3 is referring to. There is also a plan in place to add an additional infill people mover station at T9.

https://la.urbanize.city/post/lax-ex...s-step-forward

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation