HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
But as I mentioned in the past after, some Thai restaurants (in the US or Canada) already provide chopsticks as an option on the table. It's not necessarily me or others going out of the way asking for them. It also happens that some places serve a mix of Thai or other Asian dishes (indeed Thai cuisine can be of, or sometimes have Thai Chinese origins) so people can use either chopsticks or fork and knife for either. It's interesting that people are so much more obsessed with authenticity for Asian than European (origin) dishes in North America. I guess people will care a lot about authenticity for say fancy restaurants but if you're a college student hanging out at some Thai take out place with friends in a food court at the mall and some teenage cashier hands you chopsticks, ae that many people judging you?

Also, people can eat differently outside than at home (there are people that eat Asian foods with chopsticks but don't make these foods themselves at home. I don't think it's fair to police who can or can't eat a certain way outside). Over time the "different from how people did it in the old country" can become a new normal. Maybe even if not fully a norm, at least something not too many people bat an eye at.

And if 99% of people don't care but 1% critique the authenticity, on a philosophical level are they wrong (or after some time the inauthentic becomes the new authentic)? Halifax donair, American/Canadian style Chinese food, pineapple on pizza also get called ridiculous but the people who enjoy it still enjoy it regardless.
The comment was about asking for chopsticks in a Thai restaurant when they were not provided, and Thai food is a cuisine that isn't traditionally eaten with chopsticks. It is not about eating with chopsticks in a Thai restaurant when chopsticks have been made available by default. So I don't really think it matters that some Thai restaurants have done it before.

I presume that a restaurant will always place at the table the utensil that is intended to be utilized in consuming their food. If the chopsticks aren't there when the food is served, and you do not use chopsticks at home to consume your typical meals, then you probably shouldn't request them.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 4:22 PM

A common trend in the west (in the US or Canada) is broader lumping or consolidation of what in the old world would be separate identities. e.g. Asian descent people identifying with elements of many Asian cultures... e.g. k-pop, anime, bubble tea etc., Black people (e.g. reggae, hip hop, Black and other Canadians borrowing everything from Black American slang to Jamaican patois to Somali slang like wallahi), stuff labelled Mediterranean cuisine that may be unclear if its Greek, Turkish, Arab, Israeli etc. with falafel, hummus, kebab etc.

That is assimilation in its own way. Ironically, being obsessed with finding authenticity in the particularities while being in a larger mainstream Anglo American culture (e.g. A Japanese Canadian let's say saying "I'm Japanese, not Korean so I want to do things the authentic Japanese way") is also kind of assimilation to belief in personalized individualistic identity-seeking. The idea of finding "what's true to the roots of something" is a popular thing in modern society.

The obsession with authenticity is particularly strong in North America where people often believe we cannot have our own way of doing things and must look to the old world for guidance.

It's because someone is outside the old country that one looks to it as standard-bearer. I guess people in the old country have less of a need to define themselves by opposition to another.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
The comment was about asking for chopsticks in a Thai restaurant when they were not provided, and Thai food is a cuisine that isn't traditionally eaten with chopsticks. It is not about eating with chopsticks in a Thai restaurant when chopsticks have been made available by default. So I don't really think it matters that some Thai restaurants have done it before.

I presume that a restaurant will always place at the table the utensil that is intended to be utilized in consuming their food. If the chopsticks aren't there when the food is served, and you do not use chopsticks at home to consume your typical meals, then you probably shouldn't request them.
Okay, that's a fair point. But people are still free to ask (for that matter, maybe there could be a Chinese immigrant used to eating a similar food with chopsticks asking, I can't psycho-analyze everyone's motivation). And the staff of course is free to say no, it's their restaurant.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 4:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Yes, it's been a while since I've been in touch with some Canadian cities. I did spend a little bit of time in California and also the east coast, though was in Chicago much of the time posting on the forum the past few years.

I have seen that there's been some problems with crime, drugs, high cost of living and that some US-style social problems came through. I did see some news that Toronto had been an area with some of these problems. It's unfortunate but hopefully these can be resolved.

That said, has the advantage shrunk that much (did the US get much better also on these fronts as urban Canada got worse... I recall in one year in the late 2010s NYC did better than Toronto homicide-wise and now they are closer)? I don't want to be rah-rah cheerleading Canada, but I'd like to be optimistic. I guess maybe it's not comparable to tensions with crime, mental health issues, homelessness etc. today because its not the same (e.g. social ennui, frustration, economic inequality in the 21st century might have unique causes) but doesn't the fact that Canada did face some US-style problems and got through in the end (e.g. I think Canada had the 1960s to 1990s crime rise, plus US-style ethnic tensions in the 20th century like these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Ge...illiams_affair on top of the FLQ separatist issues) offer at least some hope that our cohesion/identity can still pull through. Also, the question is whether the social problems will compound themselves or will result in some alarm and correction. It would really suck if we did end up having urban flight/decay because of the problems of big cities (though cities continue to be desirable, maybe it will end up being like SF, California or worse like places in Latin America with gated communities surrounded by slums) which would kind of be unprecedented. That said, doesn't Canadian government policy still have some ability to temper these problems (by being more redistributionist etc.which is itself admittedly still dependent on economic growth to provide resources for health, welfare etc. which is I guess dependent on growth often much of it by immigration which is why it's being discussed in this thread).

I guess, there's still a gamble with both optimistic and pessimistic fears with immigration/growth/increasing density/urbanization. The risk of putting hope in economic growth from newcomers. But as far as newcomer integration, in some places it's going quite well (I recall you mentioning your kids, their peers etc. getting along will with immigrants' children and lack of "race/ethnic" tensions in the area).

I guess a question that's worth looking at is if the problems (e.g. crime, homelessness) follows a pattern more similar to the native-born "left behind" (e.g. like the US, Appalachian, rust belt, inner cities, similar to indigenous folks on reserve) or more modern EU/European style "failure to integrate new immigrants/refugees" and the second generation having poorer results (e.g. in some countries, it's the locals "left behind" vs. the newcomers, in other cases vice versa). I guess the solution to either may be similar or different. I'd prefer not to do the "what-about-ism" or claim it's happening elsewhere in the west so Canada's not alone as a way of burying the problem but a good comparison might be to look at places that successfully did solve these problems and how they did so.
The "Canadian advantage" is already seen as marginal at best by a lot of people, as evidenced by the millions of Canadians such as yourself who live in the US. Even during the worst periods of contemporary US history, lots of Canadians have always moved south.

So my point is probably that the "Canadian advantage" probably can't afford to take that much of a downgrade before all of this starts to affect our overall attractiveness and competitiveness as a country a lot more seriously.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 5:18 PM

Quote:
If you don't eat with chopsticks at home but you go into a Thai restaurant and request chopsticks... Sorry, you should be aware that some people will find that ridiculous lol. You're only doing it because the restaurant is serving food associated with Asia. And that's fine, I guess. Chances are that 99% of the people won't give it a second thought. But the other 1% of the people will understand the absurdity and find it amusing.
As has been said, a lot of Thai restaurants in the US aren't even run by Thais, but actually Chinese or Koreans. And a lot of Thai restaurants fuse dishes from different nationalities. Right down the street from me is a Thai/Vietnamese place that has pho and a wide assortment of Thai noodle and rice dishes. They give you chopsticks when you sit down. I've been to several Thai restaurants that also serve sushi. I think it's pretty understandable for someone to request chopsticks at a Thai spot given the amount of cultural mixing that has taken place at Thai restaurants across this country. Also, people use chopsticks for a variety of reasons, so I'm not sure why it's just assumed someone asking for them at a Thai place is emblematic of trying to be sophisticated. I sometimes use chopsticks at home as a way to slow my eating down, as I often eat too fast.

Of course, recognizing this would deprive you and sopas of the chance to brag about being part of the 1% of cultured, worldly Americans who know of the horrific faux pas that is asking for chopsticks at a Thai restaurant. That's what this whole thing is about, anyway- gatekeeping, plain and simple. You would never make such a gaffe because you've traveled and know the customs in Thailand. The rest of us rubes are just simple hicks who don't know any better.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 5:34 PM

It seems like there's more Thai restaurants than Thai people in North America.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The "Canadian advantage" is already seen as marginal at best by a lot of people, as evidenced by the millions of Canadians such as yourself who live in the US. Even during the worst periods of contemporary US history, lots of Canadians have always moved south.

So my point is probably that the "Canadian advantage" probably can't afford to take that much of a downgrade before all of this starts to affect our overall attractiveness and competitiveness as a country a lot more seriously.
I guess even in the times of brain drain and loss in the 20th century, Canada has compensated by being more liberal on immigration than the US (I mean historic stuff like the Last Best West, and at least since for instance, allowing more Southern/Eastern Europeans when the US had stricter rules from Ellis Island onward, and later, in the postwar years and to the 50s, 60,s 70s, and to now even if Canada was also restrictionist for some time). Though to be fair birth rates were higher then. As we see in contemporary times, we can still afford to turn away people. I guess as far as immigration goes, the limit is still not that "no one comes" the fear is that the "best and brightest don't come" of the people that choose to immigrate (only those that saw Canada as "consolation prize" in terms of picking a western country to immigrate to).

I guess, if you want to be less cynical, perhaps the world has enough talented immigrants to go around that even if the US takes the lion's share, Canada will still have some to go around.

Not that this takes away from the concern but another interesting observation is that countries can seem to recover from quite a lot of population drain -- I mean an example is Ireland, archetypal nation of emigrants and is rich today. East Asian nations like South Korea also seemed to do well industrializing despite brain drain to the US or other parts of the west (though of course they have the problem with low birth rates).
Another example is the EU allowed brain draining of some less well off European countries. Yet there's a lot of countries like Poland, the Czech republic etc. that still grew economically even as they lost people to emigration (though of course, keeping Canada from losing economic competitiveness to the US is not quite the same thing as Ireland or South Korea or Poland becoming richer).

And there's always people willing to remain in Canada and refuse the temptation to leave to the US for better jobs/pay because of strong cultural ties, much less likely admittedly with urban Anglophones growing up in big cities like me, (but e.g. in the Canadian case probably mostly Francophones and to some extent people like Atlantic Canadians with strong family networks still remain and form a solid bloc of Canadian identity that is not going away any time soon).

I guess another less pessimistic note is that if we compare Canada to the US, it's less desirable, but Canada probably isn't too bad compared to other western countries (e.g. Australia, NZ, UK, Germany, France). E.g. France or even some other EU countries also have problems that may be social, economic etc. that other countries see in the news (e.g. riots, unrest) but still has no problem having other good aspects that attract immigrants, tourists, expats etc. and France continues to be well-liked and respected worldwide.

At least Canada mainly only loses population to one big country (the US) which is not nothing I'll admit, and I guess return migration happens too. The Canadian advantage vs. the US might be kind of small, but how about Canadian advantage vs. UK, Australia, NZ etc. I think these places, also similar in birth rate to Canada and in need of immigrants to sustain growth are not too different from the US. Immigration is now sufficiently globalized but then no.2 (or even 3, 4, etc. as destination is not bad in absolute terms for a country in terms of choice of newcomers).

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Of course, recognizing this would deprive you and sopas of the chance to brag about being part of the 1% of cultured, worldly Americans who know of the horrific faux pas that is asking for chopsticks at a Thai restaurant. That's what this whole thing is about, anyway- gatekeeping, plain and simple. You would never make such a gaffe because you've traveled and know the customs in Thailand. The rest of us rubes are just simple hicks who don't know any better.
I explained this above. It is not gatekeeping.

Quote:

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 7:36 PM

I mean, if some Thai restaurants provide chopsticks and others don't, it could be easy to see how someone that got used to eating certain types of food with chopsticks (e.g. noodle dishes) extended this assumption to other Thai restaurants without thinking too hard.

For example, if all the pizzerias I'm used to have certain toppings, I might go to a new pizzeria and assume they also have the toppings I'm used to (in say my hometown favorites and then be surprised I don't get them when in a new town).

If all the fast food places I had been to in the past give free refills for drinks, I might be surprised that the next one doesn't.

If all the Chinese restaurants I've been to serve a certain style of American Chinese food, I might be surprised if the next one doesn't.

It might not be pretentiousness or anything, just prior experience and accidental over-generalization based on said experience.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 7:50 PM

Quote:
I mean, if some Thai restaurants provide chopsticks and others don't, it could be easy to see how someone that got used to eating certain types of food with chopsticks (e.g. noodle dishes) extended this assumption to other Thai restaurants without thinking too hard.

For example, if all the pizzerias I'm used to have certain toppings, I might go to a new pizzeria and assume they also have the toppings I'm used to (in say my hometown favorites and then be surprised I don't get them when in a new town).

If all the fast food places I had been to in the past give free refills for drinks, I might be surprised that the next one doesn't.

If all the Chinese restaurants I've been to serve a certain style of American Chinese food, I might be surprised if the next one doesn't.

It might not be pretentiousness or anything, just prior experience and accidental over-generalization based on said experience.
I'm reminded of how many people shit bricks over this lol: https://nypost.com/2014/01/10/bill-d...-to-eat-pizza/

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 4:17 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I guess even in the times of brain drain and loss in the 20th century, Canada has compensated by being more liberal on immigration than the US (I mean historic stuff like the Last Best West, and at least since for instance, allowing more Southern/Eastern Europeans when the US had stricter rules from Ellis Island onward, and later, in the postwar years and to the 50s, 60,s 70s, and to now even if Canada was also restrictionist for some time). Though to be fair birth rates were higher then. As we see in contemporary times, we can still afford to turn away people. I guess as far as immigration goes, the limit is still not that "no one comes" the fear is that the "best and brightest don't come" of the people that choose to immigrate (only those that saw Canada as "consolation prize" in terms of picking a western country to immigrate to).

I guess, if you want to be less cynical, perhaps the world has enough talented immigrants to go around that even if the US takes the lion's share, Canada will still have some to go around.

Not that this takes away from the concern but another interesting observation is that countries can seem to recover from quite a lot of population drain -- I mean an example is Ireland, archetypal nation of emigrants and is rich today. East Asian nations like South Korea also seemed to do well industrializing despite brain drain to the US or other parts of the west (though of course they have the problem with low birth rates).
Another example is the EU allowed brain draining of some less well off European countries. Yet there's a lot of countries like Poland, the Czech republic etc. that still grew economically even as they lost people to emigration (though of course, keeping Canada from losing economic competitiveness to the US is not quite the same thing as Ireland or South Korea or Poland becoming richer).

And there's always people willing to remain in Canada and refuse the temptation to leave to the US for better jobs/pay because of strong cultural ties, much less likely admittedly with urban Anglophones growing up in big cities like me, (but e.g. in the Canadian case probably mostly Francophones and to some extent people like Atlantic Canadians with strong family networks still remain and form a solid bloc of Canadian identity that is not going away any time soon).

I guess another less pessimistic note is that if we compare Canada to the US, it's less desirable, but Canada probably isn't too bad compared to other western countries (e.g. Australia, NZ, UK, Germany, France). E.g. France or even some other EU countries also have problems that may be social, economic etc. that other countries see in the news (e.g. riots, unrest) but still has no problem having other good aspects that attract immigrants, tourists, expats etc. and France continues to be well-liked and respected worldwide.

At least Canada mainly only loses population to one big country (the US) which is not nothing I'll admit, and I guess return migration happens too. The Canadian advantage vs. the US might be kind of small, but how about Canadian advantage vs. UK, Australia, NZ etc. I think these places, also similar in birth rate to Canada and in need of immigrants to sustain growth are not too different from the US. Immigration is now sufficiently globalized but then no.2 (or even 3, 4, etc. as destination is not bad in absolute terms for a country in terms of choice of newcomers).
In addition to the US, UK-OZ-NZ would probably all get more immigrants per capita than Canada if they loosened up their rules and quotas like we have.

Last edited by Acajack; Apr 7, 2023 at 9:39 AM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 11:07 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Don't get me wrong. I still think Canada is one of the most desirable places to immigrate to in the world.

But I don't think we would be so decisively in the top most rungs if all countries had the same admission policies as us, ie very open.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 7:28 PM
The New Republic

Canadians are famously self-deprecating. Most assume high immigration rates couldn't possibly be because Canada is the preferred destination for millions of people. It's a mindset borne from living next to a dominant super power.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Canadians are famously self-deprecating. Most assume high immigration rates couldn't possibly be because Canada is the preferred destination for millions of people. It's a mindset borne from living next to a dominant super power.
Reading that Canada plans to allow 550,000 new immigrants a year. Current population is 39,292,355. About a quarter of the new immigrants will settle in Toronto. There is going to be a need to house an additional 100,000 people every year in the Toronto area just to keep up with demand. Toronto will continue to be a city to watch over the next decade.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 2:16 PM

And the other three quarters will settle in urban Canada but not in the GTA, which will markedly Justinflate housing there too (it’s already at all-time highs and still climbing), not just in Toronto.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 2:50 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
Reading that Canada plans to allow 550,000 new immigrants a year. Current population is 39,292,355. About a quarter of the new immigrants will settle in Toronto. There is going to be a need to house an additional 100,000 people every year in the Toronto area just to keep up with demand. Toronto will continue to be a city to watch over the next decade.
I'm curious what measures will be put in place to ensure housing remains affordable, especially in the Toronto GTA with such demand.

Good news overall for Canada. Toronto is becoming a melting pot, the Canadian NY welcoming immigrants and creativity and diversity. Promising future for that city and metro!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
And the other three quarters will settle in urban Canada but not in the GTA, which will markedly Justinflate housing there too (it’s already at all-time highs and still climbing), not just in Toronto.
Correct. I’m guess it’s very lucrative to be RE developer these days.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I'm curious what measures will be put in place to ensure housing remains affordable, especially in the Toronto GTA with such demand.

Good news overall for Canada. Toronto is becoming a melting pot, the Canadian NY welcoming immigrants and creativity and diversity. Promising future for that city and metro!
I’ve been watching States/provinces preempt local zoning to encourage more housing. California was one of the first, followed by Ontario, now Florida to some extent. As there is a need to new housing, I’m expecting more bold moves.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
Correct. I’m guess it’s very lucrative to be RE developer these days.
It's even more lucrative if you own a RE portfolio that you assembled before prices rose. (The development part is still subject to high land costs, high labor costs, high material costs; that eats into potential profits.)

Here's some quick math, just for the thought experiment:

Using the modern Urban Anglosphere standard detailed below (Canada isn't quite there yet but getting there):
Quote:
Originally Posted by nito View Post
Just the other week in East London there was the horrific case of a fire at a two-bedroom flat that left one dead. Nothing necessarily out of the ordinary until it was discovered that 18 people were residing at the address, and there was space for four more people. The landlord was collecting USD 10,000 each month in rent on a residence that was massively dilapidated. It is hard to pinpoint exactly why people willingly would choose to live in such conditions, perhaps it is for remittances back home, perhaps it is the hope that whilst circumstances are tough, they will get better because there are opportunities, particularly in the English speaking world.
Most of my portfolio is 2br, 3br and 4br units. Right now using the above standard (11 South Asian TFWs per room), I calculate I could house approximately 5,000 South Asian tenants.

(Quite a bit more than that, if I converted all my brick-and-mortar street level retail into residential, but for now, we'll leave that option as some later Phase Two.)

Step 1: Get rid of all my current residential tenants, legally or not (I'd plead guilty later of illegal evictions, pay whatever I have to pay).

Step 2: Give JT a call: "Hey good buddy! Out of the 1,000,000 coming here next year, could you do me the favor of sending 5,000 my way? The remaining 995,000 can go wherever they want. On a completely unrelated note, it's very likely that in 2024, the LPC will receive 5,002 individual donations of an amount that's right below the minimum for mandatory disclosure."

(For those wondering: the extra two being my gf and me, personally )

Step 3: Find the no-need-to-be-too-qualified manpower needed to install ~5,000 bunk beds in my existing real estate portfolio.

Step 4: If these new tenants pay $200 a month in rent, my current portfolio now brings me about twelve million dollars a year -- in its current state, without requiring any improvements other than the acquisition and installation of about five thousand camping mattresses.

Step 4.5: If instead the rent is $400 a month (still easily affordable on Tim Hortons wages) then in this still-realistic case, I'm now making twenty-four million dollars a year.

Step 5: Profit. ($24 million a year in income!)

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
It's even more lucrative if you own a RE portfolio that you assembled before prices rose. (The development part is still subject to high land costs, high labor costs, high material costs; that eats into potential profits.)

Here's some quick math, just for the thought experiment:

Using the modern Urban Anglosphere standard detailed below (Canada isn't quite there yet but getting there):

Most of my portfolio is 2br, 3br and 4br units. Right now using the above standard (11 South Asian TFWs per room), I calculate I could house approximately 5,000 South Asian tenants.

(Quite a bit more than that, if I converted all my brick-and-mortar street level retail into residential, but for now, we'll leave that option as some later Phase Two.)

Step 1: Get rid of all my current residential tenants, legally or not (I'd plead guilty later of illegal evictions, pay whatever I have to pay).

Step 2: Give JT a call: "Hey good buddy! Out of the 1,000,000 coming here next year, could you do me the favor of sending 5,000 my way? The remaining 995,000 can go wherever they want. On a completely unrelated note, it's very likely that in 2024, the LPC will receive 5,002 individual donations of an amount that's right below the minimum for mandatory disclosure."

(For those wondering: the extra two being my gf and me, personally )

Step 3: Find the no-need-to-be-too-qualified manpower needed to install ~5,000 bunk beds in my existing real estate portfolio.

Step 4: If these new tenants pay $200 a month in rent, my current portfolio now brings me about twelve million dollars a year -- in its current state, without requiring any improvements other than the acquisition and installation of about five thousand camping mattresses.

Step 4.5: If instead the rent is $400 a month (still easily affordable on Tim Hortons wages) then in this still-realistic case, I'm now making twenty-four million dollars a year.

Step 5: Profit. ($24 million a year in income!)

You say this like it's something new. It always been that way even before the housing crisis. Going around parts of Queens or neighborhoods in Hudson or Essex Counties and you'll see mailboxes with a dozen last names on it.

That's why the immigrant population is always undercounted in the Census.

You're fascination with South Asian populations is odd as it can be any groups. It's either that or homelessness. Probably the biggest homeless populations I see in downtown areas are white young adults who are unable to afford a place of their own. They rather the streets than the cramped living conditions you described.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions