HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtWednesday View Post
"I'm not saying natives are bad, but..." is exactly why I, a home owning indigenous man with a healthy career and no criminal record, am sick and tired of being followed in stores, stared at, not trusted to have money on his Tim Card at the drive thru, etc, etc. And I am far from the only native man/woman in my position! Prejudicial criminal insite is all about racism and it's racism because it's the easy way out, ignoring the complicated socio-economic history. Not being able to tell a clean-cut career injun from a drug dealing knife happy hooligan is what you get when you "tell the truth" about native people to the general public who's too busy with their own problems to look at an individual native person objectively.

Instead, I get kicked out of the PP food court 3 minutes after finishing my wrap and just starting on my pop, because "paying customers only (injun scum!)"
I’m sorry you have to go through that. I work in selkirk where probably at least half the population is indigenous or métis. I couldn’t imagine walking around all day thinking of everybody as a personal threat. The fact is most people are racist in Manitoba... EXTREMELY RACIST. I see this at my work place on a daily basis, just by seeing how people treat our East Indian employees. The stories I’ve heard from them. Heart breaking.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 3:48 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
I’m sorry you have to go through that. I work in selkirk where probably at least half the population is indigenous or métis. I couldn’t imagine walking around all day thinking of everybody as a personal threat. The fact is most people are racist in Manitoba... EXTREMELY RACIST. I see this at my work place on a daily basis, just by seeing how people treat our East Indian employees. The stories I’ve heard from them. Heart breaking.
I believe there are still many people who are not racist living in Manitoba...

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 3:49 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Most people? Care to provide some shred of evidence to support that?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 3:53 PM

That’s so shitty man. Racism is shitty and so are the people who continue to propagate it.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 4:06 PM

I'm good. It's annoying, but my dark sense of humour is my saviour. I feel much worse for my pale skinned metis family and friends (and wife!) who get to listen to and see the real nasty stuff first hand because people assume they're "white" and say whatever they want around them.

As for 24/7 PP rec centre? Nah... I can see them running 24/7 for a couple months, then start pulling back. They can run a non-profit coffee shop serving that nasty warehouse coffee brand for 50c a cup. Other than that, they're not opening a competing shop to Siloam mission, so why stay open all night? Even there would have to be some kind of kick back, even for a 9am-9pm type of facility. It can't be a lose money per square foot of commercial space, but non-profit, I can see that for a small corner of the building. I've wanted to see something like that for the lower income bracket of downtowners for a few years now.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:

That is not a fact. My experience here has not been that Manitobans are extremely racist. As far as east indians go, I find a lot of them extrememly racist, and religiously conservative. Very closed off to others. East Indians make up the largest visible minoroty in Canada and they are the least likely to marry outside their own.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtWednesday View Post
I'm good. It's annoying, but my dark sense of humour is my saviour. I feel much worse for my pale skinned metis family and friends (and wife!) who get to listen to and see the real nasty stuff first hand because people assume they're "white" and say whatever they want around them.
Who are they spending time with? I look Caucasian though I'm definitely of mixed heritage, including Naskapi Inuit and I virtually never hear that kind of thing (except of course in comments online but that shit's so bad now that I never read it). I call out blatant racism in a second if I see it.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 1:19 AM
Source?

Quote:
Isn't claiming that "most" of a very large group of people are racist, is itself a racist comment? At the very least it's a very offensive comment...

The amount of pointing at everyone/anyone and yelling racist in this thread right now is pretty horrific. The TL : DR of most comments in here the last few days is "Everyone is racist but me!!!"

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
Isn't claiming that "most" of a very large group of people are racist, is itself a racist comment? At the very least it's a very offensive comment...

The amount of pointing at everyone/anyone and yelling racist in this thread right now is pretty horrific. The TL : DR of most comments in here the last few days is "Everyone is racist but me!!!"
Ha ha ha. You really think what I’ve said is racist. Wow. Honestly. You think it’s offensive. I think it’s disgusting how much casual racism exists in our society... just look at the post above claiming East Indian people are racist. All the East Indian people I have ever met have been nothing but warm, kind and generous. Maybe they’re just nicer to me because I look like a terrorist, according to almost every white person I've ever met. I have a beard and slightly darker skin. If I had a dollar for ever time some asshole said I look like a terrorist I’d be retired. I have Ukrainian/Jewish ancestry. Just start a conversation about the pipeline protests... see if it can go for longer than five minutes before someone makes a racist comment. People here are racist. An indigenous woman I worked with from ontario hid her heritage because of how racist her coworkers at her other job were. If you don’t hear racism in Manitoba on a daily basis, you’re either lucky or just not listening close enough.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 2:15 AM
Source?

Quote:
Ha ha ha. You really think what I’ve said is racist. Wow. Honestly. You think it’s offensive.
Uhh yes... I think lumping groups of people into something like "People here are racist" is pretty offensive.

You sound a lot like Trump... "All Manitoban's are racist monsters!! Though I’m sure some are good people"

Sorry to hear that apparently you exist in a vacuum of endless racism, however I work in an adult world with people of various races/cultures/creeds and we've managed to have adult conversations about the pipeline protests, both for and against. Unless you just consider anyone in the "against" to be instantly racist?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 2:48 AM

Has there been any news in the last couple pages?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 2:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Has there been any news in the last couple pages?
No, just some left-leaning lunatic screaming at everyone that all white people in Manitoba are racist, that no other race of human beings are racist except whites and that racism only exists in Manitoba.

Stay tuned.............

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 3:10 AM
Winnipeg

I think we need to focus on the development here...like, how good is it going to look and induce more development in Central Park, what amenities is it going to have, opening hours, how it is going to increase downtown popularity (at that location) and whether or not it will become a flagship Winnipeg shopping centre and is it going to have high-end brands. Last but not least, how to integrate indigenous people (while respecting them)

Racism is too big of a issue to be discussed, and incremental steps to fight against it is more helpful

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 6:47 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
I think we need to focus on the development here...like, how good is it going to look and induce more development in Central Park, what amenities is it going to have, opening hours, how it is going to increase downtown popularity (at that location) and whether or not it will become a flagship Winnipeg shopping centre and is it going to have high-end brands. Last but not least, how to integrate indigenous people (while respecting them)

Racism is too big of a issue to be discussed, and incremental steps to fight against it is more helpful
By just visiting other cities (Toronto, Chicago) and viewing lots of other cities' videos on YouTube (Paris, London, Tokyo), other major centres have thriving streets because of the total opposite; they bring people to be a participant in the street, not inside a suburban style shopping centre.

Yes, we do need Gucci and other high end retailers on our main downtown shopping streets of Portage and on Graham, but they should be "exposed" to the street not inside Portage Pl. or 300 Main or whathaveyou.

We need more big neon downtown signs, like these other "world class" centres have. It would totally change the perception of downtown Winnipeg as a safe place to be. The Aspers did it a bit at 201 Portage years ago, but it was a very very small effort on a very small scale.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 3:02 PM

Street level access to shopping in Portage Place has been an issue the has been known about for a long time. From the early renderings it looks like the current plan will address this to a certain extent.

I agree that signage and lighting can bring a sense of excitement to a downtown area. There have been a few start-and-stop efforts over the years (I believe there was once a plan to have a number of those "trumpets" outside the Millennium Library all around the SHED district). None have been totally successful so far, but that doesn't mean it will never happen.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 3:55 PM

Funnelators.

I walk by Millennium Library every day. Right by the funnelator. But I can't remember if its' a.) still there and b.) actually functioning. It was for sure there and functioning relatively recently. I walked by there this morning but didn't notice.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 4:15 PM

^ The lonely little funnelator was still going last time I checked.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ The lonely little funnelator was still going last time I checked.
That sounds like a best-selling children's book..."The Lonely Little Funnelator"

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 4:39 PM

Racism

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeceZ View Post
No, just some left-leaning lunatic screaming at everyone that all white people in Manitoba are racist, that no other race of human beings are racist except whites and that racism only exists in Manitoba.

Stay tuned.............
Firstly there are plenty of people who are not racist and many who are not intentionally so. There is much reverse discrimination from all visible minorities and especially the very ones complaining 24/7 of racism . Many things that are not racist are called so to draw attention to when someone or group doesn't like a certain response or action going their way

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
That sounds like a best-selling children's book..."The Lonely Little Funnelator"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan