Community Guy

Nice design, shame it is so short.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 5:13 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Nice design, shame it is so short.
There there, Edmonton will hopefully get a decent looking tower or two someday. *rubs head*

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
The Well, Canada's biggest building construction site. Lots of towers coming up in this neighbourhood over the next 3 years:
Zero of which will go in this thread.

I prefer Vanocuver House to Telus Sky personally

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Yeah, I don't mind at all really, considering Calgary has 7 buildings taller than their 2nd tallest, with one only 4 meters shorter than their tallest. There is literally no contest in the skyline department, if their "shadow" is just one tall stick, we have a forest No big deal at all, I prefer girth over length
I would hardly call Calgary a "forest." If you want to see a Canadian forest, come to Toronto sometime next decade. Your delusion that Calgary is the greatest is admirable yet laughable at the same time. Every time you get called out on it you become very defensive.

Still thanks for the amusement, it is nice to have something to laugh about with my breakfast.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 2:08 PM

^ As a somewhat impartial observer in this race, I would agree with the sentiment that Calgary has a damn impressive forest of a skyline. It's the skyline you would usually expect of a city with 3 to 4 times the metro population, i.e. Calgary stands out way more from the pack of 1 to 2 million metro cities than Toronto does from its cohort of, say, 4 to 8 million metro cities. I don't think it's a controversial position to hold.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 2:23 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 4:07 PM

Quote:
...is that YYC or YVR in our shadow?

oh wait, both!
It is amazing how presenting one small fact in a somewhat humorous way can turn certain individuals on this forum into such a tizzy that they need to spew multiple posts with one negative comment after the other...

At the end of the day, Stantec and the J.W. Marriot towers would be a welcome addition to any city in Canada including Calgary and Toronto. Even in most cities in the US other than say, Chicago or New York. And most certainly in any city of equivalent size in population. The towers might get lost in Toronto but they certainly could hold their own.

And at the end of the day, Stantec will remain the tallest outside of Toronto and in Alberta for at least for a little while.

Last edited by DAVEinEDMONTON; Nov 19, 2018 at 4:26 PM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Wow good job Edmonton on the Stantec tower! I personally don't mind it at all, I think its an improvement for the city and brings it to new heights. I really thought Calgary would retain the title for the tallest tower outside of TO but this just shakes things up more.
We've held the title for long enough, a little healthy competition is always welcome! Going to be quite some time before we get that title back though, our downtown is not in good shape right now, commercial properties in the core have lost about $12B since this recession started in 2014.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:

I prefer Vancouver House as well, the shape and massing are just so unique. Telus Sky is quite the tower though, really impressive in person. Haven't been to Vancouver in a few years, but I look forward to seeing Vancouver House in person!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 6:19 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post
I would hardly call Calgary a "forest." If you want to see a Canadian forest, come to Toronto sometime next decade. Your delusion that Calgary is the greatest is admirable yet laughable at the same time. Every time you get called out on it you become very defensive.

Still thanks for the amusement, it is nice to have something to laugh about with my breakfast.
Lol I never once said Calgary is the greatest, I'm from Toronto and am well aware of its impressive skyline and have always considered it the best skyline in the country in discussions on this forum. The discussion at hand is about an Edmonton forumer saying Calgary and Vancouver are in Edmonton's shadow, that shadow being a minuscule stick of one building, whereas in comparison Calgary has a relative forest of skyscrapers, with 7 buildings taller than its second tallest, and 20 buildings taller than its third tallest. Pay attention to context and let the men talk, son.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 6:23 PM

Could that last sentence be any more condescending?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 6:29 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Could that last sentence be any more condescending?
It could absolutely be more condescending, yes, given the attempted condescension pervasive throughout his comment.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 6:39 PM

Alright now children, lets all not douche it up...

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 7:53 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVEinEDMONTON View Post
It is amazing how presenting one small fact in a somewhat humorous way can turn certain individuals on this forum into such a tizzy that they need to spew multiple posts with one negative comment after the other...

At the end of the day, Stantec and the J.W. Marriot towers would be a welcome addition to any city in Canada including Calgary and Toronto. Even in most cities in the US other than say, Chicago or New York. And most certainly in any city of equivalent size in population. The towers might get lost in Toronto but they certainly could hold their own.

And at the end of the day, Stantec will remain the tallest outside of Toronto and in Alberta for at least for a little while.
Bingo.

Is it incredible to celebrate a new tallest outside of Toronto, absolutely and bravo to Stantec/Katz/Edmonton.

Do I envy some of the other towers that are not quite as tall, absolutely.

Just having a little fun here people and how about giving us a little time in the sun having been in others shadows for sometime now.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 9:56 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Bingo.

Is it incredible to celebrate a new tallest outside of Toronto, absolutely and bravo to Stantec/Katz/Edmonton.

Do I envy some of the other towers that are not quite as tall, absolutely.

Just having a little fun here people and how about giving us a little time in the sun having been in others shadows for sometime now.

Last night I was just poking a bit of fun with you (as evidenced by all the jokes and the gif), as I could tell you were mostly joking as well. My response this morning of course was to correct some misinformation so took a more serious/condescending tone in response to that forumers unwarranted condescension.

Enjoy the time in the sun

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 10:10 PM
ハルウララ

Can we keep this stupid Calgary v Edmonton nonsense out of this thread and try to stay focused on buildings? Thanks folks.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 10:39 PM

A little banter back and forth is okay, though let's not weigh the forum down with it.

Chadillaccc, I don't follow the Calgary proposals all that much, obviously there's not gonna be any new office towers on the drawing board for a long time to come, but office to residential conversions yes. How about condo towers, what's being built and or has recently been proposed?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 11:07 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Can we keep this stupid Calgary v Edmonton nonsense out of this thread and try to stay focused on buildings? Thanks folks.
Ahem, new tallest outside of Toronto is pretty big news.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Ahem, new tallest outside of Toronto is pretty big news.
We would definitely be bragging about it... again!

Any pics from the top? you should almost be able to see the mountains from there.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 12:30 AM
Midtowner since 2K

There have certainly been some incredible developments in the last few years for both of Alberta's big cities. Incredible to see this happening through the updates provided by you folks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada