HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
And then there are conservatives, who are ok with child labour abroad AND here at home.
Hmm, I likely was tasked with feeding the chickens, getting the eggs from the hens and helping work the garden when I was 7 or 8. I was driving the grain truck at 10 years of age. By the time I was 12 I was doing all the work that my father and older brother were also doing.

So I guess my conservative parents were monsters.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Hmm, I likely was tasked with feeding the chickens, getting the eggs from the hens and helping work the garden when I was 7 or 8. I was driving the grain truck at 10 years of age. By the time I was 12 I was doing all the work that my father and older brother were also doing.

Yep, helping your parents on a family farm is identical to conservative leaning governments loosening legislation for multi-million/billion dollar corporations to start employing children in dangerous industries. Totally the same, the intent was for sure to insult your parents and their political views.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Yep, helping your parents on a family farm is identical to conservative leaning governments loosening legislation for multi-million/billion dollar corporations to start employing children in dangerous industries. Totally the same, the intent was for sure to insult your parents and their political views.
The previous person did his usual blanket statement about conservatives, just trying to give him nuance.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 6:28 PM

How about we just ignore the stupid comments?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 7:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Lol. I’m clearly not talking about chores or a family farm. I’m talking about working for a company. Doug Ford brought in a program to allow high school students to skip grade 12 and go right into the trades. Jason Kenney lowered minimum wage for high school workers. In the States, child labour is a renewed growing problem with literal children working in construction sites and meat packing plants. All these laws are written by conservatives. They same people who fight against abortion because they claim to care about the life of the child. They don’t care about children. All they care about is having a cheap source of labour. Regular socially conservative people might not all agree with it, but when you vote for conservative politicians, this is what you get.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 7:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The previous person did his usual blanket statement about conservatives, just trying to give him nuance.
Settle down, spaz. I guess you didn’t get the connection between my comment and the poster I was replying to who regularly stereotypes leftists, liberals and NDPers. Funny how you and others only care about when the right is being smeared. I wonder why…

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 7:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
I feel like I have to spell things out for certain people. Some people need to literally be walked to water, and shown how to drink it, otherwise they would just die of thirst. For those wondering: this is called metaphor.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 9:35 PM

Quote:
high school students to skip grade 12 and go right into the trades.
Inner voice "Don't engage, Don't engage"

Outer voice "Fuck it."

And what is wrong with that? How many boys and girls sitting in those boring classes in High School bored out their skulls or causing trouble for their teachers or classmates because they just didn't want to be there at all. I remember in my high school there was 8 to 10 guys who should never have been in the school quit at the end of Grade 10 and went to work. There was a big sigh of relief from the teachers when that happened. So allowing kids to skip grade 12 is a way for them to go to trade school, get a skill and get out on a career at 19 or 20.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 9:40 PM

Quote:
I feel like I have to spell things out for certain people. Some people need to literally be walked to water, and shown how to drink it, otherwise they would just die of thirst. For those wondering: this is called metaphor.
Quote:
And then there are conservatives, who are ok with child labour abroad AND here at home.

You know DJ, when you meet an asshole in the morning, you've met an asshole. But if you are meeting assholes all day, which you seem to, maybe you're the asshole.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 9:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Inner voice "Don't engage, Don't engage"

Outer voice "Fuck it."

And what is wrong with that? How many boys and girls sitting in those boring classes in High School bored out their skulls or causing trouble for their teachers or classmates because they just didn't want to be there at all. I remember in my high school there was 8 to 10 guys who should never have been in the school quit at the end of Grade 10 and went to work. There was a big sigh of relief from the teachers when that happened. So allowing kids to skip grade 12 is a way for them to go to trade school, get a skill and get out on a career at 19 or 20.
This is a way to get cheap labour, full stop. It is not at all being done with the benefit of the child in mind. Some may end up benefiting but that is not what this is about. The answer to bored high school kids is having a more tailored educational experience, not a shortened one. But also kids just need the time to be kids and learn about themselves and life, and learn hobbies. Being thrown into a career at 17 years old is fucked up. Our society has become super efficient because of technology yet few of us are actually benefiting from it. Instead of more leisure time, we are all being forced to work even more. Extending the retirement age and now lowering the working age is the way the ruling class reverses the wins workers made moving away from the 6 day x 12 hour work week. People need to wake up and realize this is not for our benefit and that it does not have to be this way.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 10:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
That's what I said, yup. Are you going to cry about it?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 11:01 PM

Quote:
This is a way to get cheap labour, full stop. It is not at all being done with the benefit of the child in mind. Some may end up benefiting but that is not what this is about. The answer to bored high school kids is having a more tailored educational experience, not a shortened one. But also kids just need the time to be kids and learn about themselves and life, and learn hobbies. Being thrown into a career at 17 years old is fucked up. Our society has become super efficient because of technology yet few of us are actually benefiting from it. Instead of more leisure time, we are all being forced to work even more. Extending the retirement age and now lowering the working age is the way the ruling class reverses the wins workers made moving away from the 6 day x 12 hour work week. People need to wake up and realize this is not for our benefit and that it does not have to be this way.
17 year olds are not forced into the trades, its their choice, its an opportunity to not be in a stifling highschool. And our schools are designed to create nice obedient factory (be it an assembly line, or at a tech company), worker drones. There isn't any educational "experience" in High School. Its shut the fuck up and get the ticks in the box so you can saddle yourself with debt at a money hog university.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 11:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
17 year olds are not forced into the trades, its their choice, its an opportunity to not be in a stifling highschool. And our schools are designed to create nice obedient factory (be it an assembly line, or at a tech company), worker drones. There isn't any educational "experience" in High School. Its shut the fuck up and get the ticks in the box so you can saddle yourself with debt at a money hog university.
Of course they aren’t being forced to. But when they are not getting anything out of school and their financial situation at home isn’t great, it provides what might seem like a better opportunity. But again, the answer to our terrible education system isn’t getting people out of it sooner, it’s to improve the education system by hiring more teachers and assistants so they can spend more time with students directly, and create a curriculum that isn’t all about creating an obedient factory. I would like to see which conservatives are calling for that. And no, banning books and drag shows is not what I am talking about. And I hope you realize that most cuts to education come under conservative governments. If you wonder why people have a problem with conservatives, well, this is a start.

Last edited by djforsberg; Mar 15, 2023 at 11:41 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 7:19 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Lol. I’m clearly not talking about chores or a family farm. I’m talking about working for a company. Doug Ford brought in a program to allow high school students to skip grade 12 and go right into the trades. Jason Kenney lowered minimum wage for high school workers. In the States, child labour is a renewed growing problem with literal children working in construction sites and meat packing plants. All these laws are written by conservatives. They same people who fight against abortion because they claim to care about the life of the child. They don’t care about children. All they care about is having a cheap source of labour. Regular socially conservative people might not all agree with it, but when you vote for conservative politicians, this is what you get.
These students will not skip grade 12, they will complete their pre-employment trade program (normally 8 weeks in college) while finishing a less academically-based grade 12. This is a brilliant idea, as many trade students have a hard time adjusting to college. I wish this would have been available when I was in school.

Not everyone has to go to university to learn gender studies you know.

That said, I know dozen people who own winter homes in Arizona. They were all tradespeople.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 8:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
These students will not skip grade 12, they will complete their pre-employment trade program (normally 8 weeks in college) while finishing a less academically-based grade 12. This is a brilliant idea, as many trade students have a hard time adjusting to college. I wish this would have been available when I was in school.

Not everyone has to go to university to learn gender studies you know.
Anyone who says idiotic shit like this automatically loses all credibility. a) We are talking about high school, not university. b) What percentage of people in university do you think take gender studies? Guaranteed it is less than a percentage point.

Quote:
That said, I know dozen people who own winter homes in Arizona. They were all tradespeople.
Lol what does this have to do with anything? There are unemployed and uneducated people who have never had a job but have winter homes. Does that mean being unemployed is the ticket to whatever level of success you are implying here?

I am fine with people wanting to get into the trades and that is great. I am full on supportive of it. But, again, this is about pushing children into careers, and avoiding giving them a proper education, so they can be taken advantage of at a vulnerable time in their lives. We should not be OK with this.

Last edited by djforsberg; Mar 17, 2023 at 9:23 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 9:34 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
I am fine with people wanting to get into the trades and that is great. I am full on supportive of it. But, again, this is about pushing children into careers, and avoiding giving them a proper education, so they can be taken advantage of at a vulnerable time in their lives. We should not be OK with this.
So you are saying entering the trades is not a proper education? Being able to afford a second winter home down south not from being unemployed (where the fuck did that come from) but from a lucrative career in the trades tells me that trades are a fine education.

Taken advantage of? WTF? Being able to start a business with some knowledge, enthusiasm, a truck and some tools is the ultimate example of freedom I can think of.

Last edited by Riverman; Mar 17, 2023 at 9:53 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 10:05 PM

Can't just be cherry picking information.

I know people who dropped out of high school and run their own business. I also know people who have dropped out of high school and are in jail for murder.

I know people who struggled in high school, graduated and went into trades. Some are doing very well for them selves.

And then I know people who are doctors curing cancer patients. They have vacation homes because they went to University.

So comparing these cherry picked cases is ridiculous. There are examples allover the spectrum. Is there a better way for people who know they'll be in trades? Probably. Just like there are better ways for pre-entry University courses that are done in high school.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 10:55 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Trades are a proper education and a truly noble and legitimate way to earn a living. Tradespeople are not being "taken advantage of".

That's my only point. The leftist nutcase thinks otherwise.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 11:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Trades are a proper education and a truly noble and legitimate way to earn a living. Tradespeople are not being "taken advantage of".

Anyone in the trades is doing well now, there is a labour shortage in just about every field, couple guys I know pick and choose which jobs they will now take on!

Unless you’re gearing towards a specific occupation ie. engineering, education, accounting and their faculties you will probably make more with a trade!

Our education system from K-12 hasn’t realized the shift yet and still promotes what hasn’t worked for a decade!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 11:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Eat a dick, dumb shit. I did not say the trades are not a proper education. You aren’t even worth responding to as you clearly cannot read and you’ll just keep making shit up. Reasoning with my 5 year old nephew is easier.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan