HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 12:44 PM

Looks like the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership had a DAM meeting last week where a mid-sized apartment conversion project for the Cultural District was discussed. The Desmone project would convert 933 Penn Avenue from its current use (charter school offices on the lower floors, vacant above) into a 63-unit residential building with ground-floor commercial. Desmone would also remove the ugly-ass, metal skin across the front, replacing it with "glazed brick." I don't know what this will end up like (I don't have high hopes, given the developer) but anything would be a trade up for the ugliest building in the Cultural District by a country mile.

Also, it looks like Pennrose is working towards RCAP grant to convert the long-shuttered Divine Providence Hospital on the North Side into affordable housing. The project is still in its infancy, but Pennrose estimates there will be 128 units.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 6:00 PM

Riverlife reveals revamped West End Bridge walkway designs

https://nextpittsburgh.com/city-desi...lkway-designs/

Video presentation 3/13/24

A conceptual design of the new pedestrian access structure on the Manchester side of the West End Bridge. Courtesy of Riverlife.

A preliminary render of the Manchester site at the West End Bridge. Rendering courtesy of Riverlife.

“Site A” at the West End terminus of the West End Bridge. The structure connects to the West End Village via an old railroad tunnel above West Carson Street. Courtesy of Riverlife.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 9:11 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

^ That's so sick! I really hope it comes to fruition. I would love to try it out on my bike.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 9:51 PM

It's about fucking time. Access to the West End & SW suburbs by bicycle is basically a death wish. This is a long overdue connection point and this project cannot move fast enough.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 1:06 AM
Ex Houstonian

Wait, what bike trail or whatever is that going to connect to? Will it connect to the Panhandle Trail? If so, that would be so freaking awesome, I could bike from Carnegie almost (if they ever extend the trail another mile) to downtown. Riding a bike to downtown from Carnegie is basically impossible or you will die from getting ran over or die from having to bike up and over Mt. Washington or the West End.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 10:13 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
It's about fucking time.
I know, right. It feels like it's been like 15 yrs since we first saw renderings for this idea.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 12:19 PM

April HRC agenda is up. It's very short - just a few small residential projects, along with resubmits of two more substantive projects (Old Stone Tavern and the nomination of the Brookline Parklet).

Of note though is a resubmit for Spork Pit for the former Double Wide location. Mostly notable because it's a total surrender from the kitschy trash they had wanted. The plan will now be to repaint and make some minor modifications to the awning.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Wait, what bike trail or whatever is that going to connect to? Will it connect to the Panhandle Trail? If so, that would be so freaking awesome, I could bike from Carnegie almost (if they ever extend the trail another mile) to downtown. Riding a bike to downtown from Carnegie is basically impossible or you will die from getting ran over or die from having to bike up and over Mt. Washington or the West End.
It isn't connecting to a trail on the West End side, but the nightmare of the West End bridge sidewalk + rats nest of horrible roads & bike/ped crossings waiting for you on the West End side will be solved. Once you get into central West End, Noblestown Rd has wide shoulders that could almost be bike lanes...and then it's pretty easy through Carnegie to the Panhandle trail. I say all of this as a heavy road cyclist so your comfort levels may vary, but at least the worst pain point of the whole thing will be relieved at West End and finally have a nice connection to the rest of Pittsburgh's river trail network.

If it's an attractive enough bridge crossing and trail system right into West End, it should do wonders for the business district. In the warmer months, it could attract a lot of leisure riders into it. I could see breweries and cafes popping up over there a la Millvale, or how Roundabout Brewery's beer garden attracts a ton of bike traffic in Chateau.

Last edited by AaronPGH; Mar 24, 2024 at 6:01 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 2:07 PM
Ex Houstonian

I hope that means they will also be repainting / restoring the bridge. It’s a rusty nightmare and is embarrassing for the city to have a nearly falling apart bridge be the gateway to a lot of the city.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 8:24 PM

There are also plans to extend the panhandle from Collier into Carnegie. Currently it has one million in funding from the Allegheny County Redevelopment Authority.
https://www.unionprogress.com/2024/0...-improvements/

Carnegie's page on the panhandle trail extension:
https://carnegieborough.com/trail/support.html

The plans for a new park and ride garage in Carnegie also depict the trail being extended:
https://www.rideprt.org/siteassets/i...es_reduced.pdf

These two projects won't completely close the gap but we're getting closer!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 8:35 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Last time I talked to the mayor, about a year ago about the Panhandle trail extension to Carnegie she said it probably wasn't going to happen as the railroad thinks it will one day reopen the spur to who knows where. But they weren't going to give up their ROW.

Perhaps thats changed since a year ago, I sure hope it has because I am literally 100ft away from the railroad and right above the Carnegie Borough Building. It would help home values and it sure as hell would be nice to just hop on my bike without having to haul it in my car to the trails.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 9:37 PM

Tenants are leaving Downtown Pittsburgh for other city neighborhoods and suburbs, new report shows

Downtown has been losing tenants while other top markets in the region have been adding them, according to a new report.

Quote:
Since 2020, Downtown has been losing tenants while the other top markets in the region have been adding them, another indication of the troubles plaguing the central business district.

In all, a net of nine tenants have left the Golden Triangle, while the other top four submarkets — Cranberry/Northern Interstate 79, Downtown Fringe, Oakland/East End, and West — have gained anywhere from eight to 13, according to a new report by the Jones Lang LaSalle (JLL) real estate firm.

The analysis found that 17 tenants moved out of Downtown over the time period while eight, including four new to the market, moved in. Another 47 decided to stay in the central business district.

68% of those who fled landing in the Fringe, including the Strip District, or the Oakland/East End submarkets.

Quote:
For lease deals signed over the last 15 months, Mr. Adamski noted that 56% of the tenants that relocated moved to buildings that were on average 26 years newer than the structures which they were leaving. The most common move has been from Class B buildings to higher quality Class A digs with better amenities.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post

Tenants are leaving Downtown Pittsburgh for other city neighborhoods and suburbs, new report shows

Downtown has been losing tenants while other top markets in the region have been adding them, according to a new report.

68% of those who fled landing in the Fringe, including the Strip District, or the Oakland/East End submarkets.

It's not good, but I'd also argue it's not as bad as the raw numbers make it seem, as the percentage decline for downtown is smaller given the base number of tenants is higher.

Of course, if we also looked at the net change in floor space as leases were renewed, it would look even worse. Indeed, my guess is the majority of firms "fleeing" downtown are largely doing so due to footprint consolidation (along with the chance to upgrade to Class A office space), not because of concerns regarding crime and/or the homeless.

I was just thinking this morning it's a shame that enrollment at PPU has been declining, as an office market like this is the perfect situation for a downtown-focused university to expand their campus footprint. Wouldn't help the tax rolls, but it would help otherwise.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Indeed, my guess is the majority of firms "fleeing" downtown are largely doing so due to footprint consolidation (along with the chance to upgrade to Class A office space), not because of concerns regarding crime and/or the homeless.

Yep, that's definitely confirmed in the article, which is "good" in a way that it pushes buildings to upgrade etc. (if that happens).

I wasn't aware of PPU's issue with enrollment, but it's a challenging environment with enrollment now, and I would bet especially for small schools.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 3:56 PM

The apartment development surrounding the Tito House was okayed by the Planning Commission this week. Didn't bother to cover the agenda, since I was on vacation in Chicago last week, and the only "new" item was the historic nomination of the parklet in Brookline, which we have already discussed. Regardless, it's great to see another Uptown project moving forward, despite opposition (I can't even call it NIMBY, because the opponents were descendants of Tito who lived outside of the area).

Really, not much new going on in terms of development. April 18th ZBA agenda is online now, but it's very short, and aside from the conversion of the former Madison Elementary in the Upper Hill into an arts center, I don't see much of note.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 5:33 PM
somewhere in-between

It looks like CMU's proposed Richard King Mellon Hall of Sciences just cleared its last approval hurdle. No word on the official start date, but university officials have stated that they hope for the $252 million / 7-story project to be completed by 2027 -

Quote:
Carnegie Mellon plan for new science hall, restaurant and museum approved
Ryan Deto | Trib Live
April 2, 2024

The campus of Carnegie Mellon University is expanding after a $252 million project was approved Tuesday by Pittsburgh’s planning commission. A new 345,000-square-foot building will host researchers and students from the university’s Mellon College of Science and School of Computer Science. The site — nestled at the corner of Craig Street and Forbes Avenue in the city’s Oakland neighborhood — will also contain a restaurant space, an art museum, nearly 17,000-square-foot public plaza, and a seven-story tower containing labs, offices and other learning and collaborative spaces...

Source: CMU

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 7:34 PM
East End Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
It looks like CMU's proposed Richard King Mellon Hall of Sciences just cleared its last approval hurdle. No word on the official start date, but university officials have stated that they hope for the $252 million / 7-story project to be completed by 2027
I drove through Oakland last week and one of the outbound lanes is closed, sidewalk fenced off, and I think the site is nearly cleared.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 8:01 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
It looks like CMU's proposed Richard King Mellon Hall of Sciences just cleared its last approval hurdle. No word on the official start date, but university officials have stated that they hope for the $252 million / 7-story project to be completed by 2027 -

Source: CMU
Nice! That is going to fill in the massing of that corridor so nicely.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Nice! That is going to fill in the massing of that corridor so nicely.
Agreed! Currently there is a real sense of disconnection between CMU and the other side of the gorge, aka Junction Hollow, and it feels like this is going to almost entirely erase that issue. Very cool.

Edit: I think I got the angle of this about right for comparison purposes:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4445...!1e3?entry=ttu

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 5:45 PM

Looks like Walnut Capital threw in the towel, and is selling the PAA building to Pitt. Honestly, not a bad fit, due to building layout and location.

I also want to highlight, although not directly related to development, PPS has announced the start of a comprehensive redesign of its building footprint. No schools are yet targeted, but there will be substantial changes, as the district has stated an intention to move to entirely standalone middle schools (necessitating movement of a lot of students from existing K-8 or 6-12 buildings into new facilities), along with a reconfiguration of the magnet system to eliminate smaller programs with less interest, and presumably increase programs that often involve waitlisting.

In the past, the city has shown a willingness to close schools based upon prospective real estate value rather than academic performance, to maximize return for the district. Witness closing the Reizenstein Middle School (which paved the way for the second phase of Bakery Square) or the conversion of Schenley High School into apartments. In contrast, a lot of shuttered schools in more troubled neighborhoods have been vacant for over a decade, with little interest unless a private school buys it, or funding can be found to convert it into housing.

I will say straight off the bat Montessori K-5 will be closed in its current facility. The school is very popular and well regarded, but the building is in terrible condition, and needs millions in asbestos remediation. The students and teachers will be moved to a vacant school elsewhere in the East End (perhaps Linden K-5 or Sterrett 6-8, both of which are likely to close) and they'll try and sell off the building to a private developer for apartments (which the market can bear there, provided NIMBYs don't get in the way).

The more interesting case though is Arsenal in Central Lawrenceville. The elementary school is at about half capacity, mostly filled up with kids from Garfield these days, which has lacked a neighborhood school for around the last decade. The middle school is only at 25% capacity. If they are serious about ending K-8 schools, moving the middle school kids out of Sunnyside K-8 in Stanton Heights will mean more than enough space for Garfield's elementary students there (It's actually closer to most of them), with Central Lawrenceville's few neighborhood students either following suit or going into Woolslair. Then the district could make a dedicated middle school somewhere else in the upper East End (I'd say Lincoln K-5 in Larimer would be the most centrally located), which frees up the entirety of Arsenal for redevelopment, as they would undoubtedly get a good deal of money for a building already laid out well for residential conversion, where a new wing could be constructed fronting directly on Butler Street.

There's a ton of awful messes to deal with elsewhere of course, but going into all that goes way beyond the purposes of this thread.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations