HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 8:06 PM
don't *meddle*...

From CTBUH:

Quote:
Figures
Height: Architectural 407.5 meter / 1337 feet
Height: To Tip 407.5 meter / 1337 feet
Floors Above Ground 73
Floors Below Ground 1
Tower GFA 232,342 m² / 2,500,908 ft²
Quote:
Facts
Official Name Hudson Yards North Tower
Complex Name Hudson Yards
Type building
Status Proposed
Country United States
State New York
City New York City
Street Address West 33rd Street
Building Function office
Proposed 2011
Start of Construction 2014
Completion 2017

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 8:16 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Wow, this tower could have succeeded 1 WTC in height if they wanted to. Things are looking up in NYC.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 8:34 PM
don't *meddle*...

I just discovered that the new rendererings don't show an observation platform anymore. Oh well, it was too good to be true...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 9:47 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
I just discovered that the new rendererings don't show an observation platform anymore. Oh well, it was too good to be true...
The newest renderings are from that NY Magazine piece. The latest renders posted - while also new - are from a couple of months or so earlier.

http://observer.com/2012/10/hudson-y...ervation-deck/

Hudson Yards Will Be Taller Than the Empire State Building, Including a Higher Observation Deck

By Matt Chaban
October 15, 2012

Quote:
Earlier this week, the Related Companies announced it had found backers to begin building the first tower of its Hudson Yards project (at the same time that it is trying to get a break from the MTA for payments on the entire 16-acre complex). Should the project get off the ground, it will have a long way to go.

As the design team puts the finishing touches on the first phase of the project, it turns out the other office tower on the site, which has yet to find an anchor tenant or an announced start date, will become the second or third tallest building in the city when it is completed, surpassing the Empire State Building.

At 1,300 feet, the tallest of the Hudson Yards towers (designed by KPF) will fall just short of 1 World Trade Center (sans antenna, er, spire) and the even taller 432 Park, CIM and Harry Macklowe’s new luxury tower at the corner of 57th Street and Park Avenue, which reaches a spindly 1,397 feet into the skyline.

But this is not the only place where Hudson Yards will surpass the Empire State Building. It will also boast observation areas closer to heaven than at the Empire State Building, both indoors and out.

Perhaps you noticed an unusual shard jutting out from the side of the tallest tower in the latest set of renderings, first revealed a few weeks ago in New York magazine? That is an open-air observation deck located at 1,100 feet.
That puts it 50 feet above the Empire State Building’s famous outdoor terrace, that iconic movie set and marriage proposal destination.

And above Hudson Yard’s outdoor observation space will be a veritable playland of attractions reaching to the top of the tower, and by extension beyond the Empire State Building’s topmost observation room, at 1,250 feet, the place where zeppelins were once meant to dock.

“It’s more akin to the Rainbow Room to be honest,” Related spokeswoman Joanna Rose explained. “We have a ballroom, restaurant and bars above the observation deck that offer panoramic views. And yes, we are looking at locating some of those above the 1250 mark.”

They are just going after all the landmarks—not just the Empire State Building but Rockefeller Center, too. And it will be hard to compete, since as previously reported, that master of hospitality Danny Meyer will be running the show way up in the clouds.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 10:25 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The newest renderings are from that NY Magazine piece. The latest renders posted - while also new - are from a couple of months or so earlier.
I see.. I guess I got a bit confused there. Thanks for clearing that up. If everything goes well (and I'm positive it will), we could see the beginning of construction by late 2013 / early 2014. After all, the Coach tower is already a suscess.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 1:49 AM
World Machine

I'm anticipating that Time Warner will anchor this tower - seems like a natural fit given the amount of space and what it offers.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 2:08 AM

I like this tower but I miss the twisty "H" formation the original two towers made.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 4:16 AM

The observation deck is at 1,100 feet, and the building is 1,300+. To me it doesn't look like there is 200 feet of building above that platform. Then again, I'm horrible at judging these things, and those floors look pretty tall.

Quote:

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 10:02 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
I'm anticipating that Time Warner will anchor this tower - seems like a natural fit given the amount of space and what it offers.
I've always felt Time Warner would move here, expect a decision from them at any time. There are other options, but this is basically Time Warner Center on sterioids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
The observation deck is at 1,100 feet, and the building is 1,300+. To me it doesn't look like there is 200 feet of building above that platform. Then again, I'm horrible at judging these things, and those floors look pretty tall.
Those things are likely in a state of flux, as it was with the Freedom Tower. Some of that space will be above 1,250 ft.

Quote:
And above Hudson Yard’s outdoor observation space will be a veritable playland of attractions reaching to the top of the tower, and by extension beyond the Empire State Building’s topmost observation room, at 1,250 feet, the place where zeppelins were once meant to dock.

“It’s more akin to the Rainbow Room to be honest,” Related spokeswoman Joanna Rose explained. “We have a ballroom, restaurant and bars above the observation deck that offer panoramic views. And yes, we are looking at locating some of those above the 1250 mark.”

Even the stacking diagram is different from that rendering, so I would just go with whatever Related says, as the drawings will likely keep changing.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 12:23 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
http://hudsonyards.eventbrite.com/#

Big City, Big Ideas: Hudson Yards

School of Public Policy and Governance, Institute on Municipal Finance and Governance, Urban Strategies, Global City Indicators, and Department of Geography and Planning
Wednesday, October 24, 2012 from 6:45 PM to 8:30 PM (EDT)
Toronto, Ontario

Somebody went to check it out and provide us this graphic that gives more details on that observation deck, more than shown in the brochure...

HiMY SYeD / photopia

Go 25 minutes in to get to the good stuff...about 44 minutes in, he says the uppermost space of the north tower will be the highest occupied space in Manhattan, higher than the space at the Freedom Tower. Somebody get the fact checkers, I thought 432 Park was claiming that one. Also, for the cantilevered deck, they're thinking about a glass floor (like at the Sears Tower).

Video Link

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 1, 2012 at 1:33 AM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 5:45 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Go 25 minutes in to get to the good stuff...about 44 minutes in, he says the uppermost space of the north tower will be the highest occupied space in Manhattan, higher than the space at the Freedom Tower. Somebody get the fact checkers, I thought 432 Park was claiming that one.
According to the CTBUH, the highest occupied floor in 432 PA is at 1302 feet. Above that, there are only mechanical floors. So yeah, it could be possible the North Tower wins in that category.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 6:05 PM

I think 225 W. 57th will beat both, but it won't be a public space like Hudson Yards North.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 6:25 PM
DENNAB

Quote:

Go 25 minutes in to get to the good stuff...about 44 minutes in, he says the uppermost space of the north tower will be the highest occupied space in Manhattan, higher than the space at the Freedom Tower. Somebody get the fact checkers, I thought 432 Park was claiming that one. Also, for the cantilevered deck, they're thinking about a glass floor (like at the Sears Tower).
1WTC's highest occupied floor is 1270 feet, this one doesn't seem so high judging from the cutaway...

Would be awesome if true though.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 6:31 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
1WTC's highest occupied floor is 1270 feet, this one doesn't seem so high judging from the cutaway...
Look at the video (45:02 its posted) and the cutaway. He points to where the space will be (its shown on the diagram, but not clear enough to read). It's damn near 1,300 ft or more, so what he says could be true. Not to mention they could always revise it were it not true. He does in fact say it will be higher than occupied space at 432 Park.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Also, for the cantilevered deck, they're thinking about a glass floor (like at the Sears Tower).
I was wondering as I was reading through the latest posts on this thread if they would put in a glass floor on that shard sticking out. Glad to read it's a potential.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 9:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post
I was wondering as I was reading through the latest posts on this thread if they would put in a glass floor on that shard sticking out. Glad to read it's a potential.
Yeah, he starts in with that at 44:25. Also, the observation deck is referred to as the most exciting part of the entire project, so as I suspected, this is what will be a big draw to get people over who otherwise wouldn't need to. It's a modern day Rockefeller Center, complete with "Rainbow Room" and deck. The ledge will be a thrill for thrill seekers. I only wish.I had better renderings.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 10:02 PM
Editor

That observation deck is totally kick ass.

Quote:

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post
Once they decided to make the cantilevered deck, putting the glass floor is a no brainer, both come together, it is very obviuos. What would be shocking is that they do this cantilevered deck without putting the glass floor.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 2:29 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
Once they decided to make the cantilevered deck, putting the glass floor is a no brainer, both come together, it is very obviuos. What would be shocking is that they do this cantilevered deck without putting the glass floor.
I wouldn't be so certain about that. Remember, although they are thinking about it, it's not seen in the rendering. Which only means it's not such an obvious idea, at least the way you see it. They may want to do it, and in the end there could be reasons why they may not be able or think otherwise. I would think at least part of it would be, but it's still up in the air so to speak.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 5:56 PM

It could happen that they don't put it, of course, but I think the very most likely to happen is that they put it. I think it would be a waste if they build a cantilevered platform and not put a glass floor, something like that doesn't exist in NYC.

The Sears Tower had a conventional observation deck and about 30 years after they finished the building, they build that little boxes that hang out the building to bring an additional attraction to that observation deck. Those boxes were preety much what they can do there since they wasn't included in the original design, but they proved to be very popular. Here, if they are going to build that platform from the beginning, I think it is a must to include a glass floor as they included it in that viewing platform in the Grand Canyon. I guess in that case the decision to put a glass door come from the begininng as I guess it is the case here too.

I don't think they will put the glass floor all over the platform (and I maybe they shouldn't either) but I do think they will end up putting the glass floor on a section of this platform.

And about the renders, they don't have very detailed renders yet, they are still designing the building, and particularly this whole observation thing (I mean the whole thing, both indoor and outdoor spaces) is a new element in the tower. Remember that the previous brochure didn't include an observation space at all (and even in the current brochure they only have one render updated, the one of the first page, the others are all old renders) so they should be in the process of designing it and I think that is why they haven't showed it yet. Just figuring out how would be the layout of glassed and not glassed floor is a lot of work and there are a lot of possibilities, they could put the glass in the borders, the center, make it like windows, etc. Not to mention that right now they must be making more effort in finishing the design for Couch Tower, which beginning of construction is upcoming.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive