HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 10:42 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilny View Post
the super columns on the picture above are for mid section of retail center and not for the north tower. Not sure if the retail is consider as part of the tower.
-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyguy View Post
also, the retail portion and 30 hudson are to be considered the same development.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 4:37 AM
Chairman

Let's please stop discussing who has how many tall buildings under-construction. Please take those discussions to your respective personal messaging. As a reminder, this thread is about 30 Hudson Yards (North Tower).

-sb

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 9:22 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Thank you sir.

Now, a preview of the glass for this tower, which will be the same as 10 Hudson (the Coach tower)...I think it looks pretty good.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 12:10 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/r...ighborhood.ece

Essay: Why Neiman Marcus picked a New York neighborhood

By MARIA HALKIAS
20 October 2014

Quote:
When you think of an urban renewal project built around a working train yard, you may not think Neiman Marcus. But a New York developer knew better — and Neiman’s agreed.

Neiman Marcus announced last month that its first New York City store will open in 2018 in The Shops at Hudson Yards.

I dropped by the site when I visited New York a couple of weeks ago.
Hudson Yards is across the street from the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center. Lots of visitors go to the Javits Center for business and trade shows but get a hotel room in a different part of town.

Here’s why the smart folks at Neiman Marcus picked the location:

Companies want in. The area is being called “the new commercial district on the Far West Side of Manhattan,” not only by Hudson Yards developers Related Cos. and Oxford Properties Group, but in articles in The New York Times.

JPMorgan Chase, the nation’s largest bank, is working on a deal to build its headquarters next door.

Hudson Yards’ first high-rise is already under construction and scheduled to be completed next year. The 52-story building will house the headquarters of Coach, L’Oreal USA and SAP. HBO and Warner Bros.’ parent company, Time Warner, has committed to another tower and plans to move 5,000 employees there.

Related Cos. also says it has a commitment to host one of the city’s biggest events at The Shops of Hudson Yards: Fashion Week.

Neiman Marcus will build a store the size of its NorthPark Center location on the top three floors of The Shops at Hudson Yards, a seven-level, 1-million-square-foot vertical mall that’s part of the $20 billion project. Related is forecasting annual sales for the mall of about $1 billion based on its Columbus Circle shopping center on the Upper East Side. (The new mall will be half the size of NorthPark, and that’s what NorthPark pulls in annually.)

The mall is in a 28-acre development that will straddle 11th Avenue on platforms being built over the Hudson Yards. If all of its towers are built, it will change one of the most famous skylines in the world.

The two platforms will bridge over 30 active Long Island Rail Road tracks. It doesn’t look like it, but 38 percent of the area between the tracks is for caissons that are being drilled deep into bedrock for support. A bridge of trusses between the columns will also hold up the platforms.

Finally, the Hudson Yards development benefits from yet another relatively new feature in Manhattan. The northernmost part of the High Line, an elevated walking park, starts just outside what will be the Neiman Marcus building on 34th Street.

That section of the 1.48-mile-long park opened in September and has great views of the Hudson Yards construction and the Hudson River. I recommend going to this part of the High Line to get a view of the construction. If you can, go see it before the train yards, which continue to operate, are covered up.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 12:56 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 2:38 AM

Great to see this UC!
Vista Tower, Chicago 1,1199 ft UC 45 Broad St, New York 1,115 ft UC
9 DeKalb Ave, New York 1,066 ft 53W53, New York 1,050 ft UC

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 2:52 AM

That last image makes me really with this tower were taller - the one next to it (50 HY?) somewhat diminishes it's impressive stature.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 3:22 AM

^Same. I hope we get something more complimentary there.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
That last image makes me really with this tower were taller - the one next to it (50 HY?) somewhat diminishes it's impressive stature.
I was just about to say the same thing. I love this tower, but i liked the earlier plans that called for it to be a litle taller, and for the surrounding towers to be a little shorter.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 6:49 PM

Can't wait to start construction soon. Looking forward to it. I hope so for the sake. It will be so successful.

Please post the construction photos for me.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 8:08 PM
BANNED

Nobody mentions the mall design. I find it quite ordinary. I think they skimped on making a statement design here.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 9:26 PM

What's that "beak" on it going to be? An observatory or something?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 9:29 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianharvey View Post
What's that "beak" on it going to be? An observatory or something?
Yes. Public observation deck.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Yes. Public observation deck.
Are you sure? I think WTC1 has already under construction the observation deck. They won't be open sometime in 2015.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 9:51 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

Once it's complete, 30 Hudson Yards will be New York City's fourth-tallest building. It will house the city's highest public observation deck with an open-air viewing platform.

At 1,100 feet in the air, views from the observation deck will be spectacular. The developers sent a drone into the air to create this image of how the landscape will look to visitors.

============================
http://www.businessinsider.com/new-y...#ixzz3HNuL3C3b

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 3:31 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It's just the massing of that 50 HY tower. Hopefully Chase gets it, and we'll see a complete redesign of that tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Nobody mentions the mall design. I find it quite ordinary. I think they skimped on making a statement design here.
Are you referring to the exterior of interior? I don't have a problem with either.

http://hudsonyardsnewyork.com/shopping-dining

__

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 28, 2014 at 3:43 AM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 4:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Wow! What a gorgeous project!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 5:49 AM

it really is devastating to see what they did to the corset

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 8:40 AM
BANNED

The Corset was overcomplicated and ungainly.. a party trick not worthy of a world class building and in decades would be considered tacky and dated. The current smooth building is still curvy enough and, more importantly, is darn right stylish and classy. Now, the Equinox tower is the real shame. What a loss, that was my favorite tower of the whole lot of them. If they build that box I'll be pretty pissed off after years of showing a round building. NY needs all the curvy buildings it can get, as most towers are hard lined and rectangular in form.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 5:01 PM

Wow! What a spectacular development! The word Spectacular being very understated!
(I'm getting tired of hearing "awesome". We need a new word to describe things that are "Great" or "Epic".)

To top it off, Neiman Marcus is the anchor department store.

"This" is going to be on the "lists of things to see" when visiting New York!

You guys are so lucky! (Or as we say in Philly, "Yous guys"!

Last edited by mmikeyphilly; Oct 28, 2014 at 5:03 PM. Reason: made a boo boo..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive