HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 7:47 PM

Putting on my "grumpy" hat here - I don't like this plaza. The vast majority of it is completely un-utilizable space. Why did they cover so much of it with mulch and bushes? The building itself completely ignores the plaza, with no restaurant/cafe/etc to activate the space. There are a couple of benches, but otherwise no tables, no open greenspace, nothing else to make the space actually usable. It's no different than the lifeless plazas we see in front of 80s office buildings. Realistically, who will use this space? Why would anybody linger here, or why would this be a destination?

With my "happy" hat on, the sculptures are incredible. They are very cool in person, arching majestically overhead and framing the skyline in interesting ways. It's a great piece of monumental public art for Midtown. I also like the number of trees, which will help reduce the urban heat island and improve stormwater issues.

Overall it's just a missed opportunity to actually engage the street.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Realistically, who will use this space?
homeless people

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 8:54 PM

^I'd be fine with that, everybody needs somewhere to sleep. But this is a private plaza for a major corporation and I'll bet good money there will be heavy security and they'll kick out anybody they deem "undesirable." Even the couple of benches they installed have anti-homeless anti-skateboarding metal bars on them.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
It's no different than the lifeless plazas we see in front of 80s office buildings. Realistically, who will use this space? Why would anybody linger here, or why would this be a destination?

Overall it's just a missed opportunity to actually engage the street.
At the end of the day, the sole purpose of this building is to house a large corporation, which has security requirements, and mixed use is not optimal for any company trying to have 100% control over their company image with the building. This plaza looks similar to the Georgia Pacific and NCR headquarters building plazas, IMO. I think it is great they made their 'front door' facing the mixed use AT&T building development (which will have a food hall) and the North Ave MARTA station. Looks like a great place for employees to meet and relax for lunch.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 1:55 PM

^NCR's plaza has tables, small open green spaces, terraced wide steps for sitting, chess board tables, and even a solar powered phone charging station. It's also long and narrow, so the building does a better job of fronting the street. I see a huge difference. Fine-grained details matter.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 6:08 PM

Nice looking addition even if it is mostly mid-rise. Now Norfolk Southern's name is a little outdated. Probably should change it to just NS.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
Nice looking addition even if it is mostly mid-rise. Now Norfolk Southern's name is a little outdated. Probably should change it to just NS.
Norfolk Southern is a combination of the historic "Norfolk and Western" railroad and "Southern" railroad. Ask your grandpappy about it.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
Norfolk Southern is a combination of the historic "Norfolk and Western" railroad and "Southern" railroad. Ask your grandpappy about it.
It is named after its home city were it was founded and just moved from. Maybe they could name it Atlantic Railroad after Atlanta. Looks like that name is now owned by the State of GA as Western and Atlantic Railroad.

EDIT: Also my "name outdated" was a little in jest and not really expecting them to change their name. It was more about poking them because Norfolk Southern moved from Norfolk to ATL. At least they are MORE Southern now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norfolk_Southern_Railway

"Norfolk Southern is the namesake and leading subsidiary of the Norfolk Southern Corporation, based in Norfolk, Virginia.......

On December 12, 2018, Norfolk Southern announced that it would be relocating its headquarters to Atlanta, Georgia; leaving its hometown of Norfolk after 38 years...."

Last edited by Julien; Mar 8, 2022 at 12:04 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 6:29 AM

Norfolk Southern's name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
It is named after its home city were it was founded and just moved from.
montydawg was right about the name of Norfolk Southern, which resulted from the 1982 merger of Roanoke, VA based Norfolk & Western Railway and Atlanta based Southern Railway. As a compromise between relative equals, the new holding company was headquartered in Norfolk while the operations steadily consolidated in Atlanta. The Norfolk headquarters location was always suspected as temporary, with the Atlanta move an eventual certainty. Given that N&W had been based in Roanoke since 1838, the new (NS) name has nothing to do with the city of Norfolk, but simply reflects the N&W-Southern combination.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 4:19 AM

I noticed there's a VISA logo at the top of the old Norfolk Southern building on Peachtree Street. Any news on this?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMidcity View Post
I noticed there's a VISA logo at the top of the old Norfolk Southern building on Peachtree Street. Any news on this?
The signage was put up Saturday March 19. Here is the press release info from VISA:

https://usa.visa.com/about-visa/news...eId.18281.html

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 2:59 PM

Well the concrete is dry so the film industry is taking it over.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2023, 4:59 PM

Should be cleaning that Ohio dirt instead of your windows.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta