HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 11:34 PM

I do not think there will be large crowd gatherings until a vaccine is ready or a treatment is available. That means sports, concerts, festivals etc.

The rest will be gradually opened under strict conditions and return to self isolation if a second wave occurs.

Oh right the second wave.

My opinion

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 11:53 PM

Earlier today I was watching the news where Saskatchewan announced how they would be opening up with phase 1 and phase 2. I thought it was reasonable and measured on what they are planning to do.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 3:06 AM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 6:50 AM

The weather got warmer, that is all.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 1:53 PM
Community Guy

Bingo and another reasons stats are so magical/misleading.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 4:27 PM

It got warmer, but also amplified by our extensive river valley park network. I was surprised to see so many people walking, biking, running in the valley (social distancing as well).

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 6:44 PM

That graph is like getting the Most Improved Award.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 2:33 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 10:34 PM
Community Guy

As early as May 14, some businesses and facilities could be allowed to gradually resume operations, including

Retail businesses, such as clothing, furniture and bookstores. All vendors at farmers markets will also be able to operate.
Hair styling and barber shops.
Museums and art galleries.
Daycares and out-of-school care with limits on occupancy.
Summer camps with limits on occupancy. That could include summer school.
Cafés, restaurants with no bar service to reopen for public seating at 50 per cent capacity.
Post-secondary institutions will continue to deliver courses, but the way those courses are delivered — whether online or in-person — will depend on what restrictions remain in place at each relaunch phase.

The use of masks will be strongly recommended in certain crowded public spaces, such as mass transit.

Under Stage 1, gatherings of more than 15 people will still be prohibited.

Arts and culture festivals, major sporting events, and concerts, movie theatres, theatres, swimming pools, recreation centres, arenas, spas, gyms and nightclubs will all remain closed.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 10:56 PM
Community Guy

Traffic lane closures will be implemented at select new locations across the city to ensure Edmontonians who are outdoors can maintain appropriate physical distancing:
Jasper Avenue - 121 St to 124 St
102 Avenue - 103 to 108 Street

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Traffic lane closures will be implemented at select new locations across the city to ensure Edmontonians who are outdoors can maintain appropriate physical distancing:
Jasper Avenue - 121 St to 124 St
102 Avenue - 103 to 108 Street
Wow that’s progressive and I love it.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 10:01 PM
Community Guy

An important site was released this afternoon by the Province to aid in the phase 1 reopening.

https://www.alberta.ca/biz-connect.aspx

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 10:07 PM

Some COVID-19 musings as the long weekend approaches...

I have been on a number of calls and ZOOM meetings lately where a few themes have emerged.

Firstly, COVID-19 seems to be a constant point of discussion whether it is the main topic or peripheral to the main topic. One of the constants in most of those discussions is that they don’t seem overbearing or trite or forced. What I’m seeing with individuals, corporately and with government is that even when opinions on the right approach or the best timing or what the “new normal” will be, the discussions are open and honest and for the most part respectful and considerate.

It’s that “we’re in this together” sentiment and the universality of the topic and consequences that makes me hopeful that we will learn a great deal not about the virus but about ourselves and our companies and our governments as a society. If we can do that and if we are really prepared to do things better as a result of that honest critique, we have an opportunity to create something better than what we had before.

COVIC-19 hasn’t just proven that we are all equal as human beings, it’s shown who among us are the most vulnerable and the most valuable, sometimes at the same time. It’s shown who among us is the most reliant on the care and protection of others whether that’s our seniors and their care workers; our first responders and medical teams; meat cutters in packing plants; those serving their country on naval ships; or those working in our plants and driving our trucks or checking out our groceries.

If COVID-19 teaches us anything as a result of having shown us things, it should in letting us know that we have clearly failed locally, nationally and internationally in providing the protection and support to everyone who needs and deserves that protection and support.

Clearly we need to do things differently but making sure that we aren’t being so disruptive as to find ourselves throwing the baby out with the bath water. With the efficiency with which we have rolled out virtually universal support for Canadians, have we not proven we have the capacity to institute a Universal Basic Income? Can we not institute that while at the same time eliminating a myriad of special interest programs from student loans to employment insurance to seniors’ benefits that would then be redundant along with their myriad and costly special interest infrastructure? Can we not recognize that pharma-care and dental care should be as universal as medical care? Can we not recognize that there are some things that are more efficiently delivered by the public sector than the private sector (with the proof of that clearly apparent in the US)?

Can we not recognize that the density of our cities and our buildings within them is less important than the quality of the spaces and systems within our cities and our buildings?

In a speech given at the University of Cape Town on June 6th, 1966, Robert F. Kennedy said:

“...There is a Chinese curse which says "May he live in interesting times." Like it or not we live in interesting times. They are times of danger and uncertainty; but they are also more open to the creative energy of men than any other time in history...”

The phrase had previously appeared in several science fiction stories, in a previous speech delivered by Austen Chamberlain in March 1936, and in various other forms dating back to the late 19th century. Although its true beginning can’t be traced, the only thing that does appear certain is that there is no evidence of any Chinese origin.

Once again, like it or not, we live in interesting times and, once again, it will be our creative energy that will allow us to overcome the danger and the uncertainty we have all been presented with.

Stay safe and stay kind.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 3:21 AM

Well said Ken!

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 11:30 AM

Good points Ken.

I believe we will come out of this better from a humanity perspective. Understanding what’s important in life, not taking certain things for granted and respect for the workers that truly keep this country running are all positives that will hopefully not be forgotten.

This virus could have been far worse if we had mortality rates of 50% instead of 3-5% so it gives us a wake up call to fix what we did wrong and learn from our experience.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 6:42 AM
BANNED

I noticed from news reports and pictures, as lockdown rules become less restrictive and more Edmontonians are going out, how few people are wearing masks. I saw a picture of people lined up to get into the farmers market and I counted only two people wearing a mask.The same report had a picture of the mayor at the farmers market and not wearing a mask. This is incredible to me. I am from Edmonton but live in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia and the vast majority of people here wear masks, even though the active cases in Malaysia are less then Alberta. The most effective way to stop this virus from spreading is to wear masks because they limit the range of air droplets when people speak, laugh, cough or sneeze. In a recent news report from South Korea a student who had the virus went to an ESL centre and of the dozens of people this student had contact with at the centre only one other student contracted the virus and this student was not wearing a mask. Another example from South Korea was when a nurse got the virus and gave it to her father. They both did not know they had it. They wore masks everywhere they went. When they found out they had the virus the government did contact tracing and found approximately 1100 people they had had contact with. Only one person caught the virus from them - from the father when he took off his mask to have tea with a friend who got the virus. Until the majority of Canadians stop the silly mask wearing stigma nonsense and start wearing masks in public to protect themselves, their families and their fellow citizens, this virus will continue to thrive. In KL they won't allow people into any business unless they are wearing a mask. When I go shopping I need to wear a mask and they take my name and phone number when I go into the store in case I need to be contact traced. They also spray my hands with disinfectant and take my temperature. Is this happening in Edmonton? If a developing country like Malaysia can do this why can't Canada? Why are these types of behaviours so difficult for Canadians to grasp?

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 6:32 PM

"The same report had a picture of the mayor at the farmers market and not wearing a mask."

If true that is surprising given "advice" from Alberta's Chief Medical Officer of Health is to WEAR a mask. I would have thought the Mayor would be on the side of safety and minimize risk. On the other hand, mask use in Alberta is not mandatory where the UCP Kenney party is busy trying to emulate Trump and Republican friends in the USA.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 6:54 PM

There's a picture of him at the market wearing a mask: https://twitter.com/YEGMayorOffice/s...36689766027264

However, there's another picture from Postmedia showing him very clearly NOT wearing a mask while inside the market on that very same day: https://edmontonsun.com/news/local-n...6-2130304a860b

Not sure what gives here. I agree it's disappointing to see.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Haynes View Post
There's a picture of him at the market wearing a mask: https://twitter.com/YEGMayorOffice/s...36689766027264

However, there's another picture from Postmedia showing him very clearly NOT wearing a mask while inside the market on that very same day: https://edmontonsun.com/news/local-n...6-2130304a860b

Maybe Iveson is trying to play right wing and goalie at the same time ... I don't think he has the skills for that and we all know what happens on an open net!

Last edited by EdmTrekker; May 18, 2020 at 7:07 AM.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 1:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Haynes View Post

The most crucial times to wear a mask are in enclosed spaces because the virus air droplets hang in the air, especially in places with little or no ventilation and air circulation. The S.Korean news and government is constantly sending videos and animations that demonstrate the air droplet movements. When I go shopping for food and everyone at the market is wearing a mask - it makes me feel much safer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton