HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 2:40 AM
Mr president

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
You seem to have zero interest in any structure older than 10-15 years... also, what you call ugly and repetitive, I find to be a lovely mix of old and new, ugly and pretty, simple and brutal... exactly what you might find in any city a few centuries old... I wouldn't want the whole thing to be new and modern and shiny... a city needs some grit here and there.
I love what is old ,but i have a condition.The old building must have a style.
There is some that do it well.The Royal York hotel,commerce court north,Casa Loma,old city hall ,Union station or flatiron make our history.I will be angry if one of this building should be destroyed.Honestly most building on yonge street are not special at all.Just ugly rectangualr building that deserve rejuvenation.
Thank for your time and comprehension.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 4:34 PM

That skyworld proposal looks hideous as does the Miami proposal although the street level seems alright. And the proposal in LA, how does the tower of that one differ from anything else built here in Toronto? It looks like the same style of architecture. Also Toronto is beautiful and gritty and feels urban unlike Miami and Los Angeles, take it from someone from outside of Toronto. The only people who ever seem to hate on Toronto are Torontonians themselves and old stock Canadians from outside Toronto, the rest of the world finds Toronto to be a fantastic city.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 8:09 PM
Mr president

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo3000 View Post
That skyworld proposal looks hideous as does the Miami proposal although the street level seems alright. And the proposal in LA, how does the tower of that one differ from anything else built here in Toronto? It looks like the same style of architecture. Also Toronto is beautiful and gritty and feels urban unlike Miami and Los Angeles, take it from someone from outside of Toronto. The only people who ever seem to hate on Toronto are Torontonians themselves and old stock Canadians from outside Toronto, the rest of the world finds Toronto to be a fantastic city.

Toronto is far to be a perfect city you know.Toronto has low crime rate.stable politic climate and no war.In this field,Toronto is great.I will show you the Miami and Los Angeles skyline.

[IMG]https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8438/29830568562_bb92fbf1e7_o.jpg[/IMG
]

Miami skyline building are not the same at all unlike in Toronto. And ,in Miami,the there is a vibrancy and a culture of life.

Los Angeles has pretty and ugly district like all cities in the world.Toronto has a lower crime rate than LA AND Miami.But these 2 american cities have an awesome lifestyle for their citizen and are not boring at all.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 1:23 AM
I am the law!

Miami skyline building are not the same at all unlike in Toronto. And ,in Miami,the there is a vibrancy and a culture of life.

Are you saying Toronto isn't vibrant with a diversity of cultures? You clearly have never been to Miami's downtown neighbourhoods like Brickell. It's light years behind the "infamous" Cityplace.

Oceanwide Plaza is an enormous pedestrian unfriendly block with a massive parkade fronted by a retail mall, some "animated" screens and some blocky towers on top. This is what excites you?

None of those towers in the Miami photos are that great; certainly not above what Toronto puts out. Even Mississauga including Erin Mills puts out better urban form than this.

I don't have a problem with you admiring a Dubai aesthetic of superficial architecture and auto centric form but, please, don't even try to say Toronto needs anymore of this.

Get a freakin clue.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 1:50 AM

Yeah you lost me enrigue8. Never been to Miami or LA and I'm sure they're great places but I don't see the argument at all. I'm getting trolling vibes now.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 8:47 PM

Lol. Enrique posts a bunch of renderings from across the globe. Renderings.

No kidding, you only like brand new things, it seems. If that's what you want, there are plenty of new structures proposed (whose renderings) that can be considered beautiful.

My favourite project are the YC condos on Yonge.

But to posture as if you have some academic and emotional understanding of architecture is lame. We can all post pictures of less appealing parts of any major downtown.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 8:59 PM

Half of these projects Enrique is posting wont end up getting built.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 8:02 PM

i would choose toronto over miami and los angeles, any time, any day. and yes, that includes winter. =)

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 8:29 PM

delete

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
NO THANKS! Over scaled tacky architecture with crass consumerism urban form. It's abundantly clear you don't know good architecture or what creates vibrant streets at all. Thanks. You finding Toronto ugly only reinforces that the boom is still heading in the right direction.
I totally agree with you...

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrigue8 View Post
I love what is old ,but i have a condition.The old building must have a style.
There is some that do it well.The Royal York hotel,commerce court north,Casa Loma,old city hall ,Union station or flatiron make our history.I will be angry if one of this building should be destroyed.Honestly most building on yonge street are not special at all.Just ugly rectangualr building that deserve rejuvenation.
Thank for your time and comprehension.
From what I see, I don't think you love what is old...

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 3:11 AM

Regarding those posted photos by Enrique:

1. Miami:
Other than the tower with the cross-cross pattern, how are other towers there any better than T.O.'s?!

2. L.A.:
LA only has towers in that downtown core. Of course all the resources have to go into making a couple of the really tall ones look better. The rest of the city are mostly woodframe low rises. Toronto has a way better urban landscape.

I do agree that the newer Miami mall developments with towers on top look pretty intriguing. Toronto can learn from that to make the waterfront area more vibrant. Right now other than during sporting events, it's pretty much a dead zone. Would be nice to have retail spaces, food places overlooking plazas, movie theatres, performance halls, and perhaps a couple of art galleries or museums there. These can all be linked to the PATH and Union Station underground or above-ground, of course.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 4:37 PM
I am the law!

Isn't that what Toronto is doing to its waterfront? Y'know, building tall towers on top of enormous retail podiums? (unlike Miami which is just now starting to build some ground floor retail into these massive parkade podiums) To each their own. I find the built form is just bland and inhuman. It's conducive to main stream movie theatres but, Toronto already has two downtown. The rest would look lost as part these oversized, commercialized development and demand for more of those cultural facilities is questionable as well.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 4:04 AM
True North

Your desire for better architecture for the city is commendable, but I wouldn't go so far to call those condo buildings ugly. The new one designed by Frank Gehry should be pretty good when it is completed. However, those recurrent incidents of exploding window panes and falling glasses do have pedestrians worried a bit.

Simply by reading your comments, I gather you are more bothered by modern architecture because it seemingly lacks a common vocabulary that older architectural style such as Greek and Roman architecture possess. Some modern architecture involves more engineering and technology than decorative motifs, and you don't like that which I totally understand. There is no consensus to what constitutes great modern architecture. We can talk about light, shadows, textures, form and proportions but there is not a definitive look to it.

On top of that, especially for condos, the perception of luxury life style more or less affects the design as well. It's nothing wrong to be old-school and not liking contemporary design. Modern stuff takes a bit of understanding in order to appreciate it. It is not pure visual which is what you are looking for.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 1:23 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bup View Post
For sure, there are a lot of difficulties for the young families with their own real estate. Like a decision, I'm thinking now about buying some square meters in Sugar Wharf Condominiums. What are your thoughts about it? Will be grateful if someone shares with me his experience in this question.
Personally, I think it's a good idea to live there. The location is pretty good, the area is getting a lot better through redeveloping industrial lands, and over time transit will be right near this building. I hope you're not investing in a condo here to rent to others....this isn't helping the housing market by doing that. I'm not sure if you're that interested in urban design or cities, as this forum is tailored to that.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 6:11 PM

Looking at real estate.. what about this supposed new one? Downtown Toronto. Although technically not a skyscraper.. I still think it looks super pretty and cool. https://royallepageinfinity.com/home.../C4075502/270/

Also.. I've been inside the Bisha Hotel which also has condo residencies but I can't find any pictures that do it justice. It was built I believe over a year ago.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 10:41 PM

There does seem to be a bit more diversity in architecure in the US, and construction seems more robust or higher quality. That is my impression anyways. Maybe building too fast, there is less attention to details.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto