HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 12:07 PM
passion for patterns

Wan light surrounds my heart

Its chimes make light of this dismal plight
Is this what life is all about?

my apartment for 10 months - foreground. current tallest residential building in seattle - behind

Is it live or is it Memorex? Is it Seattle or is it Toronto?

The space needle gazes its "googie" eyes at its squat late 70's office complex neighbor and quips: "didn't you capitalists learn the first time about building too many glassy hollow boxes?"

Ziggurats in search of a culture

New York has Lincoln Center, this is the Fillmore Center in comparison

oh to touch and to feel you, mama
oh I just can't keep away
in the heat and the steam of the city
ooh, it's got me running and I just can't brake

Everybody's going uptown
That's where I wanna be
Uptown set your mind free

It's fitting that I was fired from this building - for standing out and suggesting something better could rise in its place.

okay, doc, I see... two letter k's humping

I swear, they seem to be coming out with the Dulles new buildings these days

hint: neither of them are locked out of their apartment.

So I can find my way back to bed...

Downtown begins here

I've looked at clouds from both sides, now

hey WaMu, the feeling's 'mutual' - I'm bankrupt, I'm moving out of state, and I'm letting more responsible people sort out what's left of me.

I awkwardly received the change and tried to wedge it in my pockets just like she wedged my potato wedges into a translucent white bag, joining pre-placed extra napkins and straw, the ghetto version of setting the dinner table.

I tossed in some salt and pepper then blurted "I'll see you next time" as I confronted the red-sharpie homemade sign on the door. "There will be no next time," she replied. I blushed with embarrassment at the paper which still smelled like marker and remained curiously translucent and white just like my bag. Just like I could spot a rogue onion slice through the membrane she could see my red cheeks from behind. "Come again soon!" she said.

I began to laugh and said, "well, don't you actually mean..." trying to lighten the mood, but instead I sank the moment into the last vat of frying oil as the chirp of the door chime masked my response: "okay, I will."

Somehow I imagine that the real Dearborn has streets just like so.

What would a Filipino doctor do if he found out they named this bridge in a city he's never been to after him?

Refuting the idea that Seattle's always rainy and that majority-African American neighborhoods are not that nice

But these trees were planted here on purpose and hide what's behind:

What is the logic of hiding the existence of the highway and city below? Curiously enough, it's the same logic that allowed the tunnel to exist at all, the country's second most expensive utilization of highway funds - while pretty, it's using nature as a tool to keep people from having to see what's beyond.

It's special not because it's hard to access what should be an easy sight, but it's special because it's the last mile of the United States' longest highway. Whether you are overjoyed with the finale of a long trip, or just about to embark on one, there's no doubt that a lot awaits people on either end.

Back in the days when we named places after the actual geographic feature that comes to mind, Rainier Valley seems refreshingly obvious. Yet it sat ignored in favor of a neighborhood that was instead named after the geographic feature it was to become - the Denny Regrade.

As a result you have a latchkey neighborhood in search of a loving parent. Feeling the towering presence of God in the form of Mount Rainier is cold comfort for the unattended children who lack the sidewalks on which to draw with pink and purple chalk, as just beyond view their dad fights with his countrymen for a chance to earn a paycheck at the day labor site.

But it's not all depressing - when you see an indio Mexican family hop out of their Chevy truck, dad still white with construction dust and paint shellac mom still wearing the recognizable uniform of a ubiquitous American occupation, the fast-deploying, drill-marching, obedient-to-superiors fast food employee, and when you see their kids argue back and forth in the vernacular of Mattel commercials and Babysitter's Club novellas about why they couldn't have gone to McDonald's instead, the American identity, always described as an intangible idea suddenly becomes corporeal.

Inhabiting this neighborhood has taught me to appreciate the houses that keep on housing and the people who keep on working in a place where nobody's watching or caring. You can walk past empty lots, down streets with no pedestrians, shopping centers without stores, parks with no dogs or kids and finally think for a change. I'll never run into someone I have to dress up for, I'll never be a 'regular' or even know my neighbor's names. That sounds sad, but I like it. I love the fact that I live in a city where so much green seems to render the forest inseparable from the trees.

I've never seen more than one person at a time on this 1/2 mile-long stretch of path. That means there's more for me - I get to "monopolize" the view.

Being alone in a city without family or friends came at a steep price. However, it is a price assuaged by free million-dollar views I'll never afford and moments alone that can only be forced on you without recourse. If I had the friends, career, sobriety and mental health that society says I should have, I would never have been given moments alone like these.

Good morning from Seattle, pushing forward like always with or without me.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 2:22 PM
Westbank = Bestbank

Very nice shots! I like the UFO:

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 5:01 PM
Closed account

Amazing, I love that City!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 6:12 PM

I love Seattle and it's always great to see it from angles (and areas) I've never seen before. Thank you!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 6:14 PM
Universal Traveler

Wonderful pictures! Greetings from Madrid, Spain.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 6:45 PM
Bears of antiquity

That 70's office complex reflecting the Space Needle? Yeah, I was waiting for the day someone would come up and photograph it head on.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 7:05 PM

Wheeeee! I love seeing Seattle from new angles. And as much as I enjoy seeing Seattle's downtown, I think I enjoy even more seeing shots from the many different neighborhoods.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 4:39 AM
Eurosceptic

you are quickly becoming one of my favorites

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 5:30 AM

cool trip, man.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 3:37 PM
Honored Member

Thanks for the Seattle tour. The photos are superb, and your commentary makes it an emotionally-moving thread.

I lament overhead utility wiring in streetscapes, but streetcar and trolleybus catenary belongs and contributes to the urban ambience. I'm always delighted to see it.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 4:38 PM
no its not...

nice feel to those shots

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 11:25 AM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_1412 View Post
Thanks for the Seattle tour. The photos are superb, and your commentary makes it an emotionally-moving thread.

I lament overhead utility wiring in streetscapes, but streetcar and trolleybus catenary belongs and contributes to the urban ambience. I'm always delighted to see it.
Thanks! I generally agree, but the trolleybus wires are an exception. And either way, they're impossible to ignore, right? You wouldn't be able to get many shots if you were that picky. Although I have tried.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 11:59 AM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
That 70's office complex reflecting the Space Needle? Yeah, I was waiting for the day someone would come up and photograph it head on.
Funny you say that, because I felt at the moment that it was such an obvious idea I almost didn't do it. Here's one I took today:

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 1:01 PM

marvelous thread.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 2:42 PM
International

Cute thread.

How big is Seattle's African American pop.? My math tutor and her Harvard grad. daughter are both from there, and they are always talking about how its a haven for Black thought (Hendrix, Ray Charles, etc).

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 5:21 AM
Crisp and Squishy

Nice stuff...your shots are making me a little bit homesick. A little bit.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 2:51 PM
Senior Bezerkeleyite

These shots r great! Fantastic thread. You have a real good eye.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 1:15 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
Cute thread.

How big is Seattle's African American pop.? My math tutor and her Harvard grad. daughter are both from there, and they are always talking about how its a haven for Black thought (Hendrix, Ray Charles, etc).
The city itself is 10% African-American, so about 55,000. Historically, the percentage was a bit higher but there was a fairly large Asian influx that spread the numbers out a bit.

For Seattle's size, I would agree that the African-American community's output has been pretty large. I don't know about that today, but definitely in the 20th century it was true. While Ray Charles did move here and got noticed here, he's from Georgia of course. Hendrix and Quincy Jones are "from" here in the sense that they were born/raised here.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 2:53 PM
International

Woah--Seattle has a higher % of Blacks than LA...who would have known.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 5:42 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
Woah--Seattle has a higher % of Blacks than LA...who would have known.
Yeah but Seattle is only 590,000 people - and doesn't have any large suburbs like LA that have a large black population. There are no Inglewoods, for example. However, if you include Tacoma, White Center, Renton, and a few other places, you have enough black people to form a strong and solid community. Many black Seattleites, whether due to gentrification or due to reaching the middle class, have moved out of the city altogether. Kent is a popular suburban destination, which is now 9% black.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos