HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 5:10 PM

Corridor 2 would run through The Works. Selig would be smart to throw some money in that direction.

But at the end, I'm fine with either.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 8:00 PM

The only thing I don't get about Corridor 1 is, why don't they continue to follow the walled-in Tanyard Creek to the southeast where it goes under 75 instead of crossing under 75 hovering over an active rail line? It seems like following the creek is the more obvious solution, plus it would link Atlantic Station and Brookwood to the Beltline. I have not walked this area, though, so maybe there is something I am missing.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
The only thing I don't get about Corridor 1 is, why don't they continue to follow the walled-in Tanyard Creek to the southeast where it goes under 75 instead of crossing under 75 hovering over an active rail line? It seems like following the creek is the more obvious solution, plus it would link Atlantic Station and Brookwood to the Beltline. I have not walked this area, though, so maybe there is something I am missing.
I think the creek might be funneled through a culvert there, whereas the bridge over the railroad provides enough clearance to fit the trail (and a whole train). I'd love to see Atlantic Station tied in somehow, too, but I think the best bet for that would be an additional trail following the rail line behind the Target.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 2:31 AM

Incorporating AS is more like a crosstown route and not so much the BeltLine, IMO.

It’s absolutely something that should be done, but I categorise it as something more of a PATH trail like Freedom Trail rather than the BeltLine. We need crosstown trails (and protected bike lanes) in addition to the BeltLine, this way it’s easier to get around town and more of the city/system is better connected.

Citywide trail/protected bike networks should be something your city council members and mayoral candidates advocate for. And if they don’t, you should lobby them to advocate for it.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 11:34 PM

New soft edge being installed on the East Side Trail

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
I was in charge of a very small pilot version of this when I worked at Trees Atlanta like a decade ago. Not surprised they're going this route.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunking1056 View Post
I was in charge of a very small pilot version of this when I worked at Trees Atlanta like a decade ago. Not surprised they're going this route.
What's the purpose of the soft edge? I think I accidentally stepped on this type of surface on The Beltline near PCM, and it felt...odd. Does it help with erosion or something?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
What's the purpose of the soft edge? I think I accidentally stepped on this type of surface on The Beltline near PCM, and it felt...odd. Does it help with erosion or something?
Much cheeper and easier to install than a concrete foundation. Also no need to engineer any water drainage or retention since it is a pervious surface. Also runners like it better because it is softer. The only downside is durability and will need replaced every 15 to 20 years.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 9:42 PM

SST Segment 1 is officially open. Only new expansion under construction is currently by West Marietta up to Huff. Really need to build out the segments that will better connect the trail with major transit stops (both SST segments to Capitol Ave BRT & WST to Westside Connector/Bankhead Station).
https://beltlineorg-wpengine.netdna-...021_9.9.21.pdf

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Westside Trail – Segment 3: Construction continues by the PATH Foundation in conjunction with ABI on this 1.2 mile-long segment between Law Street and Huff Road along Marietta Boulevard. Construction of the multi-use trail is roughly 50% complete and is anticipated to be complete by early 2022.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 11:25 PM

That's awkward and scary. A guardrail should be placed between the trail and Marietta Blvd.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 7:17 PM

Atlanta BeltLine Awarded $16 Million for Soutside Trail

https://beltline.org/2021/11/17/u-s-...ail-expansion/
Quote:
The City of Atlanta and Atlanta BeltLine, Inc. were awarded a $16.46 million RAISE grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) for the construction of nearly two miles of the Southside Trail. Spanning from the Southside Trail at Pittsburgh Yards in southwest Atlanta to Boulevard in the southeast, this segment is another critical step in connecting the Westside and Eastside Trails.

This $16 million investment in the BeltLine is going to substantially accelerate the project and will help communities all around Metro Atlanta,” Sen. Ossoff said. “When I was campaigning for the Senate, I made promises to deliver resources for the BeltLine, and I’m keeping those promises.”

For construction planning purposes and to accelerate delivery, the Southside Trail has been divided into segments. The first segment opened to the public in September, connecting the southern end of the Westside Trail to Pittsburgh Yards® on University Avenue. The RAISE grant will support the construction of the next two segments from Pittsburgh Yards to Boulevard.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 7:54 PM

Atlanta Beltline hits $300M funding milestone, on track to finish trail by 2030

https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-new...KV4PHDZR6SIAQ/
Quote:
The Atlanta Beltline has surpassed the $300 million funding mark for trail construction, declaring it is on track to complete the 22-mile loop by 2030, leaders announced Thursday.

Beltline CEO Clyde Higgs told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that a new, $80 million donation from The Robert W. Woodruff Foundation, in addition to local tax funding and federal grants, allows the agency to remain on schedule.

So far, roughly eight miles of the 22-mile path have been paved. That number is expected to increase as the Beltline puts a greater focus on project execution in 2022, Higgs said. A recently announced $16.4 million grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation grant will be used to construct about two miles of the Southside Trail, which is set to begin construction next year.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2021, 3:13 AM

Does anyone know if we’re planning to far exceed funding now that we have the Woodruff donation and SSD in place? And if so, what are they planning on leveraging the additional funds for?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 2:40 PM

My understanding from the press release is that $350 million is needed to complete the trail. So the announcement of the $300 million in funding ($80 million from Woodruff, $100 million from SSD, $29 million in federal funding and $100 million from the Beltline TAD) means that they're nearly at that goal.

They've still got less than $50 million to raise from local, federal and philanthropic resources until they have the full amount they need to complete the trail.

I guess it's possible that they'll exceed that goal over the next 9 years, in which case I hope they use the surplus for rail, which has its own funding from the transportation tax.

https://beltline.org/2021/12/23/more...or-on-schedule

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 7:04 PM

2021 Highlights

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 5:34 PM

Cox Foundation donates $30 million to Atlanta BeltLine

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this milestone.

Quote:
Combined with the $80 million secured late last year from The Robert W. Woodruff Foundation, BeltLine officials say they now have the philanthropic funding needed to finish the 22-mile trail corridor by 2030.

Old Posted May 14, 2022, 1:33 AM

BeltLine selects "Corridor 2" for the Northwest Trail

Quote:
Corridor 2 is the prioritized option, and the corridor has been divided into three segments for implementation: Segments 3, 4, and 5. This trail alignment begins at the northern end of the Westside Trail at Huff Road and Marietta Boulevard and traverses across the Hemphill Water Treatment Plant and Howell Mill Road, across Northside Drive, under I-75, and along a portion of Tanyard Creek until it meets the southern end of the Northside Trail in Ardmore Park. The trail length as proposed would be 2.8 miles.
https://beltline.org/2022/05/12/nort...unity-meeting/

Old Posted May 14, 2022, 3:38 PM

Bridges for Howell Mill and Northside are a must. Those two roads are not pedestrian friendly.

Old Posted May 14, 2022, 3:53 PM

Segment 3 and 4 were previously supposed to run along the rail line. Instead it's moving to the next street south. To access from the north one has to walk along Howell Mill or Northside. And there's no access from the south due to the water works.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta