HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 3:36 AM
Flower City

Ouch the Largest Wegmans is in Dewitt and not in the Rochester Metro...? That hurts, what would Robert Wegman think?

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 6:59 AM
Dryer lint inspector

utica has no wegmans, just price chopper, tops, hannefords and at one point, P&C.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 1:41 PM
Old Fart Forumer

I love the Wegmans in Ithaca. I usually stay in a motel near it when I hit town. Sadly, thereare no Wegmans in Southern Maryland. Hope that changes some day.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 1:43 PM
Eurosceptic

what does SoMar have? Food Lion?

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 1:44 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ yeah, and Giant, Safeway, and some small locals.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 4:24 PM

Could someone explain how Wegmans compares to Stew Leonards which is a large specialty supermarket of some sorts that has 3 Connecticut locations (Newington-NEW, Danbury, Norwalk) and one New York location (Yonkers). Im guessing this may be a reason why Wegmans hasnt pursued southern New York and Connecticut.

Also how does Wegmans compare to a Whole Foods??

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 2:09 AM

^ Stew Leonards is a really nice store... I've been to the one in Yonkers. Wegmans is a much larger store though, with a much greater variety of products. For example, Stew Leonards might have 4 or so varieties of mustard, say... Wegmans has 50 some. Wegmans is a full-service supermarket (the stores are huge), but they also stock many of the same items a niche market (like Whole Foods) carries (usually at lower prices). Basically, Wegmans straddles the line between super-duper mega store and small, upscale niche market with greater success than anyone else.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 1:37 PM
Eurosceptic

the one in State College has a model train traveling around the store above the heads of shoppers

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 1:54 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
the one in State College has a model train traveling around the store above the heads of shoppers

The stores in Downingtown has one as well.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 2:38 PM

I used to go to a bar in NYC that had one of those trains........^^^a friend and I met after work one day and proceeded into an evening that became known as the Great Martini Disaster. I'll say n'more..........ugh....

And I dig Weggies.......

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 1:24 AM
Lets Go Mets 2009 !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Island View Post
What-eman's?

We got--
King Kullen
PathMark
Shop-n-Stop
ShopRite
C-Town
IGA
Associated
Western Beef
Best Yet
Compare Foods
Waldbaum's

(I left out the gourmet/high-ass chains like Whole and Trader Joe's, Fairway....)

I also found an A&P in Westchester a few weeks ago! (The last one?)
As for A&P they own Food Emporium which is the joke of a store I have to go to in the BX.

Wegmans is better than all those stores save Fairway. The Fairway that was recently opened in Red Hook Brooklyn would give Wegmans a run for their money. I would love a Wegmans in the City but as was pointed out already their stores are huge (~140,000 square feet) and IDK what that would equate in NYC real estate. But hopefully they open stores in NYC, Long Island & Westchester sometime soon.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2007, 6:32 PM
Rachacha rez

Personally, I keep hoping that Wegmans expands to North Florida, since Publix just doesn't cut it. Trying to explain Wegmans to native Floridians is difficult, since most of what is here is crap (Tops and P&C would be competitive with Publix if they were here, since Wegmans gives them such a high bar to reach in Upstate)

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 5:41 PM

I haven't been to the board in a while, but it's nice to see the hometown store getting some love. The biggest part to understanding the growth of Wegmans is their culture. It is a family culture that likes to go at its own pace. If the company had gone public there would be immense pressure to expand faster. Instead they focus on a few sites a year. By expanding that slowly they are able to make sure each store measures up to their quality.

As for urban locations I just don't see many happening any time soon. Wegmans is geared towards middle and upper-middle class areas. They have also found a building strategy that works. They would have to redesign the stores, perhaps having multiple stories, to fit in most urban settings. I just don't see it happening any time soon. The stores as they are now would take up too big of a footprint in a city.

As for what makes Wegmans successful it all goes back to how they treat their employees. You can have the best product in the world, but if it isn't sold by people who care about what they are doing then it doesn't matter. There is a reason Wegmans was named the best company to work for in the country last year and i think #2 this year. Living in the Rochester area, I know many people who started out in Wegmans as stock boys or cashiers and were able to work their way up to managers. They offer many scholarships to their employees as well.

It's kind of funny that around here we actually see Wegmans as a tourist destination. Many people bring outside visitors to the Pittsford Wegmans(about 5 miles east of the city). It was the first super-Wegmans and was the prototype for all of the new stores built in Jersey, PA, Virginia and Maryland. The store even created buzz when Cher was doing a concert in town and she was spotted shopping there.

With the decline of Kodak, Bausch & Lomb and Xerox it is nice to see a Rochester company do so well on the national stage. Between Wegmans and Paychex I feel pretty good about Rochester's corporate future.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 1:48 AM
Green Man

Quote:
It's kind of funny that around here we actually see Wegmans as a tourist destination. Many people bring outside visitors to the Pittsford Wegmans(about 5 miles east of the city). It was the first super-Wegmans and was the prototype for all of the new stores built in Jersey, PA, Virginia and Maryland. The store even created buzz when Cher was doing a concert in town and she was spotted shopping there.
I totally agree, i tell people who dont know about wegmans in not just a supermarket, it really is something you gotta see and spend some time in.
Only people from NY and Fort drum get me

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 4:56 AM
Missing the Gorges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
I totally agree, i tell people who dont know about Wegmans in not just a supermarket, it really is something you gotta see and spend some time in.
Only people from NY and Fort drum get me
Yeah, I experienced the same thing here in Ithaca. People that live near one understand the shopping experience that is Wegmans. People that aren't from Wegmans territory think Wegmans fans are from another planet. Then they have to be shown the light and converted to the holiness of Wegmans

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 1:09 PM

I wonder why pennsylvania has the most wegmans even though we have lots of farmers' markets to compete with the chain.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 12:18 AM
bnkhjsdlgj,sdgnsdkljvfjgl

Pittsburgh doesn't have a Wegmann's.

Maybe they have a "gentleman's agreement" with Giant Eagle?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 3:58 PM

^ Pittsburgh should. Giant Eagle sucks.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 6:51 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
^ Pittsburgh should. Giant Eagle sucks.
Not the one I live next to.... it's better than the Wegmans I shopped at in State College.

Last edited by Evergrey; Jun 12, 2007 at 7:02 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 10:23 PM

^ Okay, I guess you're referring to a Market District location? I've been to the one in Bethel Park, and it was very nice... lots of variety and good prepared foods... seemed more of a specialty store than a Wegmans though, right? Is the other location that older store on Centre Ave?

I guess I should have said, Other than the Market District locations, Giant Eagle sucks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast