HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

View Poll Results: What is your favourite Block 2 design?
Zeidler/David Chipperfield 3 5.08%
Diamond Schmitt, Bjarke Ingels, KWC, ERA 16 27.12%
Provencher Roy + Associés Architectes Inc. 16 27.12%
Watson MacEwen Teramura / Behnisch 8 13.56%
Wilkinson Eyre/ IDEA Inc. 7 11.86%
NEUF Architects/ Renzo Piano Building Workshop 2 3.39%
None of the above (reset the process) 7 11.86%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 11:09 AM

its kinda sad that with most project in Ottawa my Final reaction is often...Oh well at least its better than what was there before...

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 11:38 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Key idea of Ottawa’s Block 2 winning design is diversity

Alex Bozikovic, Architecture Critic
The Globe and Mail
May 17, 2022

Architecture won a rare victory in Ottawa this week. On Monday, Public Services and Procurement Minister Filomena Tassi announced the results of an international design competition for so-called “Block 2,” a complex of two office buildings on Wellington Street that will serve Parliament.

The winning design, led by David Chipperfield Architects (DCA) of London and Toronto’s Zeidler Architects, will have to work hard. With a structure of mass timber, it will provide committee rooms, support space and 150 offices for parliamentarians. But the project also promises to deliver the most interesting and thoughtful public architecture Canada has seen in a generation.

The key idea in the architecture is diversity. The winning design retains most of the buildings that exist on the site now, between Wellington and Sparks streets. The new elements sit alongside them. “They don’t present as a unified façade,” said Richard Marks of DCA. “We thought that a building that represents Canada should represent diversity. This mix of buildings of different ages and styles and heights is a metaphor for Canada as it is today.”

The two office buildings leave the middle of the site untouched. In that space sit two buildings, including the former American embassy; these will become an Indigenous peoples centre. The Block 2 architects have left generous public plazas around this future centre, giving it pride of place. They push some committee-room space halfway underground, reducing the bulk of the new buildings. The result, at street level, should be an animated conversation between old and new.

For such a task, DCA is a brilliant choice. While Chipperfield himself is English, his firm has an office in Berlin and works extensively in continental Europe, where heritage and new architecture happily co-exist. Their most famous project is the renewal of the Neues Museum, on Berlin’s Museum Island. Their design reconstructed the museum after it had lain in ruins for 60 years, leaving visible scars of its wartime destruction while adding elements in sculptural concrete. New and old speak to each other.

This approach breaks down the false dichotomy between “modern” and “traditional” buildings that prevails in North America. In Ottawa, the recent war over the Chateau Laurier captured this unhelpful distinction. Some locals, including heritage advocates, wanted to protect the alleged integrity of that building, which is a tourist-trap homage to a medieval French château. A new addition to the hotel, they said, should look identical to what is there already.

Oddly, the DCA/Zeidler scheme will probably please those same folks. The new office buildings have (horrors!) flat roofs and grid-like façades. But these are not so different in scale and proportion from those on the century-old neoclassical buildings nearby. Modernism and neoclassicism have a close familial relationship. The grids, meanwhile, are clad in aged panels of recycled copper – a material familiar from the roofs of the Parliament Buildings, but used in a completely different way.

And on the back of the site, facing Sparks Street, DCA retains all but one of the existing buildings, adding new storeys to several of them – including in one case with brick that mimics the pattern of the original building’s stonework. This approach, guided by Julia Gersovitz of EVOQ Architecture, avoids unnecessary demolition and construction. Visually it distinguishes between old and new, but with a relatively subtle contrast. “We haven’t treated these as museum pieces,” Mr. Marks said. “They are part of a living city.”

The fact that the competition arrived at this result is an excellent sign for public architecture in Canada. A large, multidisciplinary jury sifted through six short-listed entries, arriving at three fine proposals: one led by Renzo Piano Building Workshop, one led by Behnisch Architekten and then the winner. They are quite different. The RPBW scheme imposed a uniform gridded façade along the whole block of Wellington Street, making a gesture of uniformity and liberal rationality. That is another perfectly valid approach.

The winning design, however, provides a nuance and sophistication that is welcome and too rare. It is part of the Long-Term Vision and Plan for Parliament, a massive revamping of the complex. So far that plan has produced some architecture that is conservative, uninteresting and not especially well-detailed.

With luck, Block 2 will survive the transition from an idea to a detailed design, and then into construction – a prospect that could take four years, at an estimated cost of $430-million.

And, with luck, the federal Conservatives will not attempt to make the project into a political football. The incremental cost of the design competition and DCA’s fees, while they have not been made public, are surely no bigger than a rounding error.

The big question: Will the government learn from this experience, and change the way it hires architects and landscape architects? Design competitions such as this are great for major projects. For smaller ones, it’s equally important to hire the right designers, pay them properly, and push for innovation and insight. A national coalition called Rise for Architecture is pursuing this agenda now.

Block 2 shows how architecture can capture government at its most ambitious – and the country at its most sophisticated. There’s enough darkness in our politics these days; we need all the beacons we can find.

Follow Alex Bozikovic on Twitter: @alexbozikovic

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts...-is-diversity/

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 3:01 PM

I really, really hate this plan lol. This is so bad.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 3:13 PM

This is the least imposing proposal. I'm "ok" with it, but it does require some work. The street interaction improvement is #1 on the list. #2 would be to create distinction between the 2 buildings perhaps on the western building, use a different metal that won't oxidize green, like a stainless steel? and changing the windows to look horizontal instead of vertical? Simple gesture can go a long way into making this more interesting.

I like that this proposal has minimal impact on the existing heritage buildings and does well at preserving them. The new build just needs an extra oomph

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralCitizen View Post
This is the least imposing proposal. I'm "ok" with it, but it does require some work. The street interaction improvement is #1 on the list. #2 would be to create distinction between the 2 buildings perhaps on the western building, use a different metal that won't oxidize green, like a stainless steel? and changing the windows to look horizontal instead of vertical? Simple gesture can go a long way into making this more interesting.

I like that this proposal has minimal impact on the existing heritage buildings and does well at preserving them. The new build just needs an extra oomph

I believe, based on the three finalists, that any 'extra oomph' instantly disqualified proposals from the contest. It's Ottawa after all...

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I believe, based on the three finalists, that any 'extra oomph' instantly disqualified proposals from the contest. It's Ottawa after all...
I kind of disagree, we are able to get interesting architecture. CSIS/CCES, National Archives in Gatineau, War Museum, Congress Centre, The new Energy Plant beside the supreme court being built, The NAG are just a few examples. Some are more simple than others, some were very expansive, but they are all different levels of government projects. They are all distinct and unique

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 8:22 PM

The winning proposal is sort of growing on me now. Hoping that over the next few months, they can refine it to a point that we can mostly agree it will be a good addition. As others have mentioned, by far the best in terms of heritage preservation. In the long run, I think we'll all agree that was the right choice.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralCitizen View Post
I kind of disagree, we are able to get interesting architecture. CSIS/CCES, National Archives in Gatineau, War Museum, Congress Centre, The new Energy Plant beside the supreme court being built, The NAG are just a few examples. Some are more simple than others, some were very expansive, but they are all different levels of government projects. They are all distinct and unique
I think all of your examples are interesting, I think all of them or almost all of them are on my list of architecture I like in this city that I posted in another thread recently.

I guess I just expected a whole other level when it comes to completing Parliament Hill with a 'South Block' after all these years. Something that truly attained the 'world class' moniker that we never quite attain, even with our best architecture like what's on your list.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
The winning proposal is sort of growing on me now. Hoping that over the next few months, they can refine it to a point that we can mostly agree it will be a good addition. As others have mentioned, by far the best in terms of heritage preservation. In the long run, I think we'll all agree that was the right choice.
I famously flip-flop on my opinions but this one has a long way to go if it wants to convert me

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 3:54 PM

Triumph of mediocrity. Why are we so scared to have a world-class capital? Yes, I realize we do not have the history of Paris or Vienna, or the resources of Washington - but this??? Three standard office blocks that wouldn't stand out in Kitchener ON.

Already we have the world's ugliest building for our de facto head-of-state - Rideau Hall, encompassing all the 'good' taste one might expect of a logging baron. Well, this was an opportunity to build something really great that the world would notice. But I guess that would be un-Canadian. Ugh!

I suspect the final choice was determined by the number of times the contestant used the 'correct' words and phrases: 'indigenous' 'heritage', 'respect for the existing architectures' and 'local materials'. All well and good, but they simply forgot to build something powerful and beautiful.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totus View Post
Triumph of mediocrity. Why are we so scared to have a world-class capital? Yes, I realize we do not have the history of Paris or Vienna, or the resources of Washington - but this??? Three standard office blocks that wouldn't stand out in Kitchener ON.

Already we have the world's ugliest building for our de facto head-of-state - Rideau Hall, encompassing all the 'good' taste one might expect of a logging baron. Well, this was an opportunity to build something really great that the world would notice. But I guess that would be un-Canadian. Ugh!

I suspect the final choice was determined by the number of times the contestant used the 'correct' words and phrases: 'indigenous' 'heritage', 'respect for the existing architectures' and 'local materials'. All well and good, but they simply forgot to build something powerful and beautiful.

Well said. Cladding some standard 'Minneapolis Suburban Office Park' buildings in weathered copper and sitting them on bunker walls just doesn't do it for me.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 4:10 PM

So disappointed with the decision on this. Seriously, this city lacks any genuine architectural creativity.

Also, how does another glass, square building reflect diversity??? Clearly, people on the committee never took a glance at some of the builds in Toronto, Montreal, heck even Kitchener.

Bring on some angles and curves! Don't just make the cladding green a call it a day. What an embarrassment.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 5:19 PM

I'm sorry but calling this proposal a "standard office block" is ridiculous. Yes, it's rectilinear. Yes, its primary function is office space. But that's where the similarities end. The fact that this came out of an international architecture competition (that included some reputable practices) should be enough to tell you that this project was held to a different standard than almost anything that's been built in this city in the last 20+ years. It's objectively not a typical Ottawa proposal.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 5:24 PM
Fake News

Nice to see Ottawa favouring heritage preservation with this choice. Triovest could learn a thing or two from this project with their proposal on Stephen Ave in Calgary.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
I'm sorry but calling this proposal a "standard office block" is ridiculous. Yes, it's rectilinear. Yes, its primary function is office space. But that's where the similarities end. The fact that this came out of an international architecture competition (that included some reputable practices) should be enough to tell you that this project was held to a different standard than almost anything that's been built in this city in the last 20+ years. It's objectively not a typical Ottawa proposal.
I don't care what wonders these buildings hold inside their non publicly accessible walls, I don't care what architects participated in the competition, and I don't care what standards this is built to. I care that we had one chance to 'complete Parliament Square' and build a South Block to Parliament, and what we got was some green clad office buildings amongst a Hodge Podge of existing buildings, and piss poor street interaction. I'd wager the average visitor to this city after this is built won't even notice this supposed 'South Block'. It'll still be a mess of little buildings across from Parliament, but with some weathered copper added to the mix.

Last edited by Harley613; May 18, 2022 at 5:43 PM. Reason: grammatical errors

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I don't care what wonders these buildings hold inside their non publicly accessible walls, I don't care what architects participated in the competition, and I don't care what standards this is built to. I care that we had one chance to 'complete Parliament Square' and build a South Block to Parliament, and what we got was some green clad office buildings amongst a Hodge Podge of existing buildings, and piss poor street interaction. I'd wager the average visitor to this city after this is built won't even notice this supposed 'South Block'. It'll still be a mess of little buildings across from Parliament, but with some weathered copper added to the mix.
If you care about completing the parliamentary precinct, then I'd hope things like building standards, and which architects participate in the project matter to you. I feel like all those things are critical to the outcome but we can agree to disagree on that point. The architects responded to a brief (that is comprised primarily of work spaces) and I think Chipperfield did a great job all things considered. You may not like the brief, you may not like the outcome, but I think putting this project in the same bucket as a generic office building is overly simplistic. I wish all generic office buildings had this level of investment and scrutiny.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totus View Post

If you think you’re going to find granite and copper-clad office buildings in Kitchener, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 9:57 PM

Rather bland winner. Inoffensive I suppose, though it will presumably turn into something even more mediocre as development proceeds.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 1:08 AM

Am I the only one that kind of likes this design? And to ignore the fact that this building uses high end materials is ridiculous. I would say the most disappointing thing about our recent building boom is not the lack of height, but the lack of quality materials and thoughtful design that we see in Toronto, Calgary, and Montreal these days. A perfect example of a building that stands out just due to better materials is the James Flaherty Building:

https://doublespacephoto.files.wordp...n_tower-39.jpg

https://mcrobie.com/wp-content/uploa...0-elgin_01.jpg

The design might not be groud-breaking but the quality execution and materials make it really stand out in our CBD sea of banality.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
Am I the only one that kind of likes this design? And to ignore the fact that this building uses high end materials is ridiculous. I would say the most disappointing thing about our recent building boom is not the lack of height, but the lack of quality materials and thoughtful design that we see in Toronto, Calgary, and Montreal these days. A perfect example of a building that stands out just due to better materials is the James Flaherty Building:

https://doublespacephoto.files.wordp...n_tower-39.jpg

https://mcrobie.com/wp-content/uploa...0-elgin_01.jpg

The design might not be groud-breaking but the quality execution and materials make it really stand out in our CBD sea of banality.
I adore the James Flaherty building but quality materials are not going to make Block 2 stand out in the context of Parliament. Why would one even pay attention to this lackluster hodge podge of buildings (with nice materials) when the eye is drawn to the majesty of the East/Centre/West block? They tried to sell us on this being 'The South Block' and a 'Once in a hundred years opportunity' and 'Completing Parliament Square'. I'm disappointed. Not Chateau Laurier addition disappointed, but close.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa