HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
They failed to deliver in Montreal, they failed to deliver here. Let somebody else give these scammers a third chance.
At least they ran the race once in Montreal even with it being a complete disaster.

After seeing the success of F1 in Miami I could see sports franchise owners jockeying for their own chance at hosting a race. It sounds like the event wasn’t profitable but of course a lot of investment for the first year in initial setup that will definitely pay off in the 10 year run it has slated for the Miami Dolphins/Hard Rock stadium. An F1 race would never happen here given the NIMBYism but will be interesting to see how the North American presence goes especially with Vegas coming online as well.

Maybe Canucks sports/aquilini look at owning a Vancouver race.

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 3:46 PM

Formula 1 and Formula E are not the same thing at all.

Formula E is perfect for Vancouver and it's a shame those clowns were given the rights to organize it. FIA should ban them from anything in the future, they are obviously giving the sport a bad name.

Vin trying to blame the City is as laughable and predictable as ever.

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 5:23 AM

I mean a few more weeks until we learn these clowns won't be allowed to run an event in 2023.

The only chance any fan will see a refund is from that security deposit money

Quote:
Disappointed fans who bought tickets for the cancelled 2022 Vancouver Formula E car race are frustrated they’ve been told to wait for refunds.

Last October, soon after tickets went on sale for the inaugural Canadian E-Fest race event, Alan Walrond spent $682.50 for a pair of VIP, two-day grandstand seats. Organizer said they sold 33,000 tickets for the event, which was originally scheduled for the Canada Day long weekend this year but was abruptly called off in April, less than three months before race day.

Last week, Walrond and other ticket-holders received an email from E-Fest organizers, saying: If you would like to carry your tickets over to the 2023 event — no action is required. Your tickets will automatically be carried over.”

Ticket-holders unable to attend next year’s edition will receive refunds, the email said, and “the refund process will be communicated after the announcement of the 2023 Canadian E-Fest date.”

But, to Walrond, “that makes no sense.”

“I don’t see why I have to wait until the 2023 date is announced,” he said. “I’m upset I can’t get a refund … If you have the money, give it back to me. And what if there is no 2023 (race)?”

Other frustrated ticket-buyers also contacted Postmedia News, wanting refunds and worrying about their money. They all received the same email from E-Fest organizers stating: “We have logged your request for a refund. We will begin the refund process once the postponed date is announced this coming June.”

It would have been Vancouver’s first time hosting an event for the Formula E Championship, an electric car race series that launched in 2014 and this season was intended to include 16 races in cities around the globe. The Vancouver event was being organized and promoted by Montreal-based One Stop Strategy Group, or OSS.

No one from OSS was available for an interview Thursday but a representative sent an emailed statement to Postmedia with the same language from last week’s email to ticket-holders, saying the 2023 Canadian E-Fest “will be a spectacular event in Vancouver.”

But it doesn’t yet appear to be confirmed whether there will be a Formula E race in Vancouver next year at all.

Last week, international motorsports news outlet The Race reported: “The possibility of a Vancouver E-Prix taking place in 2023 depends upon if the promoters of the troubled event are able to give assurances that it could go ahead before the World Motorsport Council convenes next month.”

Formula E COO and deputy CEO Alberto Longo told The Race that this year’s Vancouver event’s cancellation was “very unfortunate,” saying: “It was a big failure from the promoter.”

“The main reason was actually one of the stakeholders, which basically were going to do all the garages, we were told that the contract was signed a while ago, and it wasn’t,” Longo said.

Formula E didn’t reply to a request for comment Thursday.

In the weeks leading up to the 2022 event’s cancellation on April 22, Postmedia reported that the OSS Group had missed deadlines at city hall and hadn’t submitted key documents, including proof of insurance and signed contracts with the owners of private properties where the event was planned to take place.

Before the event’s cancellation last month, the City of Vancouver confirmed the OSS Group had paid two tranches of security deposits, totalling $500,000, but had failed to submit other documents required before an event permit would be issued.

In response to Postmedia’s questions Thursday about the status of the deposit money and the prospect of a 2023 event, a City of Vancouver representative sent an emailed statement saying: “OSS Group has recently initiated a discussion with the city about the possibility of staging the Formula E event some time in 2023. We anticipate that OSS’s security deposit for the 2022 event will be part of this discussion.”

In an emailed statement, B.C.’s Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor-General said the Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act has refund provisions that may apply in situations where a ticketed event is cancelled.

For his part, Walrond hopes Vancouver does eventually host a Formula E race, and he would love to attend. But, he added: “People have lost confidence. If they have (the event) and I go next year, I’m buying a ticket the day of.”
https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...formula-e-race

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 2:14 AM

Similar to the last article but more details on when they'll announce the race calendar.

Quote:
The possibility of a Vancouver E-Prix taking place in 2023 depends upon if the promoters of the troubled event are able to give assurances that it could go ahead before the World Motorsport Council convenes next month.

The initially planned race, which was to have occurred on July 2 this year, was thwarted when specific permits were unable to be granted for the hosting of the race around the False Creek area of the Canadian city.

The Race understands that several elements of the criteria were not met by the OSS Group promoters of the E-Prix, but the most damaging was the non-agreement between the promoters and local landowners for approval to use the land for the event.

Formula E chief operating officer and deputy CEO, Alberto Longo, told The Race in Berlin on Thursday that the difficulties which occurred just eight weeks before the event was due to take place were “very unfortunate”.

“The main reason was actually one of the stakeholders, which basically were going to do all the garages, we were told that the contract was signed a while ago, and it wasn’t,” said Longo.

“So, when the city was going to provide the permit to the race, obviously, they asked for every single contract and there was one or two missing, so that was it. It was a big failure from the promoter.”

Longo detailed how Formula E attempted to make an intervention into the difficulties to try to resolve the issues but that they were only made of the depth of the troubles too late to have any meaningful action.

This is believed to have been in relation to one of the landowners and the promoters being unable to agree on a commercial package for use of the land for the race. This was set to be resolved last month but ultimately was not done so in time before the city council executed a deadline of midnight on April 21 meaning that a permit could then not be issued.

“Even when we tried to step in and to help and try to meet with different stakeholders, not only landowners but also suppliers and obviously the city as well, it was too late and it was very unfortunate,” said Longo.

“We are giving them now the benefit of the doubt and hopefully by the 17th of June we have them to come with everything signed properly and then we will put them in the (provisional) calendar.

“If that doesn’t happen, then we will have a TBD and we will still engage with the city and hopefully by September we could confirm.”

Should Vancouver be included on the 2023 draft calendar at next month’s FIA world motorsport council meeting it is likely to be one of several new venues on the Formula E schedule.

Two of these are set to be Hyderabad in India and Cape Town in South Africa which are expected to take February 2023 slots.

A possible first-ever Tokyo E-Prix is still being scoped out but is highly unlikely to get a deal before 2024.
https://the-race.com/formula-e/a-big...ancouver-race/

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Similar to the last article but more details on when they'll announce the race calendar.

https://the-race.com/formula-e/a-big...ancouver-race/
Thanks for posting this good to have some background info and know that 'all is not lost'.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Yablonski View Post
Thanks for posting this good to have some background info and know that 'all is not lost'.
Yep good news is still possible after this fumble.

I wonder if the "landowner" in question is Concord Pacific.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post

Quote:
Carter has signed contracts for the agreements with Science World and PavCo, he said, and the contracts are “in the queue” to be countersigned by the other parties.

PavCo spokeswoman Meaghan Benmore said by email: “There are outstanding conditions that have not been met and therefore the contract is not fully executed at this time.”

Science World CEO Tracy Redies said: “We are working with the organizer and are in final stages but do not have a fully executed agreement yet.”

Concord Pacific spokesman Peter Udzenija said: “We have our contract given to them, they have to sign it and send it back. … It’s in their hands.”
https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...-getting-tight

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 6:34 PM

What a mess. It's not like there was one or two things missing, they had very little actually completed.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 8:04 PM

Quote:

What a flip flopper. After saying the organizers should be banned, now you are saying there could be "good news"?

May be a delay, but Formula E will come, unless the City stops it from happening.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
What a flip flopper. After saying the organizers should be banned, now you are saying there could be "good news"?

May be a delay, but Formula E will come, unless the City stops it from happening.
The organizers are dog shit and this is entirely on them. You need some reading comprehension.

It's potential good news for Formula-E in Vancouver. You trying to pin this on the City is pathetic, but expected.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 9:52 PM

It seems like a reminder might be needed here. There's only two words needed to summarize why this proposal smells to high heaven:

1) Montreal.
2) Promoter.

'nuff said.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 9:54 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
The organizers are dog shit and this is entirely on them. You need some reading comprehension.

It's potential good news for Formula-E in Vancouver. You trying to pin this on the City is pathetic, but expected.
It's disappointing to see this like this, but certainly some hope for future events. Formula E is an ideal fit for Van, their tech industry and is becoming a larger draw race by race.

Let's get it done!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 11:23 PM

Organizers and their ineptitude aside, what happens when the Concord site gets developed? Not a whole lot of room for bleachers in the final version of Creekside.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 11:34 PM

And 2027 for the start of the viaduct removal

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 3:25 AM

I'm sure there will be options in the future, the track doesn't have to be the same every year. Remember there will be a "super road" as part of the NEFC development.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 8:53 PM

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 9:01 PM

And the next step: Quickly turn off the website, delete the 1-800 nunber, delete social media and go hide.

You'll get your refunds in July. A few weeks later: "Sorry guys, we have no money left."

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 2:30 AM

OSS just keeps spinning the news and add confusion. What a dumpster fire.

https://biv.com/article/2022/06/stil...ticket-refunds

Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 12:54 AM

I seriously question who on city council or staff decided it would be a good idea to work with this idiot.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
I seriously question who on city council or staff decided it would be a good idea to work with this idiot.
Anything that would have involved non-ICE engines would have made every bureaucrat cream themselves.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation