HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

View Poll Results: What medium-sized subarea is the leader in the year 2024?
Atlantic Station 1 2.33%
Avalon in Alpharetta 1 2.33%
Buckhead Village 1 2.33%
Old Fourth Ward 19 44.19%
Perimeter Center in Dunwoody 0 0%
South Downtown 7 16.28%
West Midtown 14 32.56%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 4:34 AM

Best Up-and-coming Subarea

Imagine if you were chosen to help a regional start-up find a suitable live, work, play area in the Atlanta metro that would be the best "launching pad" for catapulting their company to national prominence - by choosing a prominent location to grow their unique business.

The company is looking for a midrise office building with all the bell and whistles within a walkable area accessible to the Atlanta metro.

The company's only requirement for you to secure the job is that YOU live in the area during their transition.

It's 2024 and all proposed buildings and improvements to the subarea have been completed.

What medium-sized subarea in the metro would you offer up? Your thoughts on your selection would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited by ATLMidcity; Aug 16, 2021 at 4:45 AM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 10:37 AM

Old Fourth Ward or West Midtown. South Downtown has enormous potential but the progress has been slow and I wouldn’t want to live there. There isn’t a suitable grocery store nearby so it doesn’t fit what I think of as a good “live, work, play” neighborhood.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 12:51 PM

While I prefer the density occurring adjacent Howell Mill, I selected O4W (specifically the eastern half) due to all the park space and how it’s connected to so many other neighborhoods by foot, bike, and transit. North Ave BRT will also be delivering in 1 year (2025) and streetcar extension to Ponce is already under construction, too.

This is assuming cost isn’t an option. If cost is a factor I’d change it up.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username123 View Post
Old Fourth Ward or West Midtown. South Downtown has enormous potential but the progress has been slow and I wouldn’t want to live there. There isn’t a suitable grocery store nearby so it doesn’t fit what I think of as a good “live, work, play” neighborhood.
That's why it's the only area that I would consider "up and coming". The others have already reached a level of desirability to attract waves of new development. But I understand the question because they all have the potential for a lot of additional infill.

Last edited by Martinman; Aug 16, 2021 at 9:06 PM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 9:58 PM

You should add Summerhill to the list of options

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike322 View Post
You should add Summerhill to the list of options
...and The Gulch.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 11:40 PM

There's a HomeDepot in O4W .. so O4W for the win ..lol

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 4:31 AM

I briefly considered adding Summerhill, but decided against it because even though it's developing fast, I thought Cumberland-Galleria area (Braves stadium) would be a better choice. Then I completely forgot about Cobb county all together.

But, maybe my brain freeze on Cumberland-Galleria was indicative of the lack of interest in suburban development nodes on this forum since neither Avalon nor Perimeter has received any votes.

However, I wished I'd included the Gulch because it's truly will be transformative and under construction by 2024. Dammit!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMidcity View Post
...I thought Cumberland-Galleria area (Braves stadium) would be a better choice....
Lived in Cumberland for 15 years. Also a runner and was always intrigued by the large undeveloped track of land. It had a retention pond with a walkway around it. While out running I would often stop in “right field” for a pee. Reflecting I would almost always be the only person on that large track at that time. Now there will never (relative) be another time when there are no people there.

Here is a “right field” pic from Feb 1, 2014 just a couple of days after the deadly ice storm that stranded so many on the interstates.

Last edited by Julien; Aug 17, 2021 at 12:15 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2022, 7:06 AM

It's been 6 months since this poll was conducted, and I must say it's garnished more votes than any other poll I've posted (43 total voters).

It appears Old Fourth Ward bested the up-and-coming West Midtown subdistrict by a 44% to 34% preference.

These two subdistricts are really contributing to the urban fabrics of intown Atlanta.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta