HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 5:03 PM
Posh

These look a helluva lot better than tents.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 6:50 PM

Actually recognizing the homeless as a problem, that's a step many cities haven't even taken yet.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 8:40 AM

It's been done before: 1906 (post earthquake)

https://sf.curbed.com/2017/4/18/1533...k-houses-camps

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 6:24 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I am all for this. I do not want to see tent cities around my streets anymore. It's disgusting.
Yeah, not sure why anybody would say these aren't better than people living on city streets in tents with all their trash in front of businesses and residences pissing and crapping on the sidewalks. This is a substantially better option for all. Nobody is saying it does anything to solve the underlying causes for mental illness, drub addiction and homelessness.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 2:58 PM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
These look a helluva lot better than tents.
exactly! huge progress. now build hundreds of thousands of them all over the country and outlaw sleeping outside

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
exactly! huge progress. now build hundreds of thousands of them all over the country and outlaw sleeping outside
Except progressive politicians won’t do that. We actually already have the laws against sleeping on or obstructing sidewalks. San Francisco had a “sit/lie” law saying you can’t do either on sidewalks and I’m not aware it’s been repealed. These laws just aren’t enforced like so many others (including the ones that say you can’t fill shopping bags with every tube of toothpaste in the nearest Walgreen’s and walk out withput paying).

Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 5:49 AM

Segueing into efforts to address the homeless crisis in LA, the one effort that I’m optimistic about is the statewide Project Homekey. Buying motels and converting them into housing with actual tangible results.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/1...la-sros-518602

Quote:
Between July and December 2020, the rebranded “Project Homekey“ would use $846 million — $700 million of it from federal coronavirus relief funds — to create more than 6,000 housing units, 5,000 of them permanent, in 94 properties throughout the state, mostly hotels. The average cost per unit came in at about $148,000. Normally the state spends years and about $500,000 per unit to develop new affordable housing.
LA’s $1.2B Proposition HHH on the other hand....

Quote:
. Halfway through that timeline, nearly all the money is committed, yet only about 1,000 HHH-funded units have opened, at an average cost of more than $500,000 each, according to LA Mayor Eric Garcetti’s office. Still, city officials project that before another five years passes, HHH will meet its goals.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 6:45 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

For those suggesting this only works in warm climates, this is the solution for housing people that don't fit in the berthing mod during the summer at Summit Station in Greenland (72 N, 3200 m altitude, mean temperature in summer of 0-10 F):

I slept in one of the two larger boxes (which are heated, but are shared spaces with bunks), but the people in the fishing huts got their own space (albeit, mostly unheated, except for some solar-powered heaters that didn't really work). It's not a huge amount of space but still better than a tent

Before a polar bear visited a few years back (https://geo-summit.org/news/summit-s...es-summer-2018 ), this is was what we slept in:

But understandably, they wanted something hard-sided after that.

If a fishing hut works in a polar environment, it should work almost anywhere in the US. Looks like you can buy them for less than $10k (some closer to $5k) (e.g. https://duluthdock.com/df-data/files...heet-21-22.pdf ). Seems like this would be more cost effective than the project quoted (although you still need bathroom facilities).

Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
For those suggesting this only works in warm climates, this is the solution for housing people that don't fit in the berthing mod during the summer at Summit Station in Greenland (72 N, 3200 m altitude, mean temperature in summer of 0-10 F):

I slept in one of the two larger boxes (which are heated, but are shared spaces with bunks), but the people in the fishing huts got their own space (albeit, mostly unheated, except for some solar-powered heaters that didn't really work). It's not a huge amount of space but still better than a tent

If a fishing hut works in a polar environment, it should work almost anywhere in the US. Looks like you can buy them for less than $10k (some closer to $5k) (e.g. https://duluthdock.com/df-data/files...heet-21-22.pdf ). Seems like this would be more cost effective than the project quoted (although you still need bathroom facilities).
I'm sure there are bureaucratic things like building codes that would prevent anything like that. In SF you need a "certificate of occupancy" for people to move into a dwelling and I don't know what the criteria are but I'd bet a dollar to a donut (donuts now costing more than $1) no fishing shack would get one (and no supervisor would butt the professional "homeless advocates" to change the law to allow it).

Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 8:56 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I'm sure there are bureaucratic things like building codes that would prevent anything like that. In SF you need a "certificate of occupancy" for people to move into a dwelling and I don't know what the criteria are but I'd bet a dollar to a donut (donuts now costing more than $1) no fishing shack would get one (and no supervisor would butt the professional "homeless advocates" to change the law to allow it).
Yeah, fair point, you certainly couldn't rent one out to someone legally, but special rules for as temporary emergency housing (while we wait 50 years for the city to build the "real" housing) probably makes sense. It's not like an emergency shelter where people sleep on cots in a large room is really better.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 9:41 PM
Never Dell

In my city, these aren't regulated as "homes." If they were over 120 sf of roof area they would be.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 1:45 AM

Meanwhile a little further to the east…

Quote:
Baldwin Park celebrates opening of Esperanza Villa, a village of tiny dwellings for homeless

Photo Credit: Trevor Stamp, SGVT Contributing Photographer

Community members and officials were on hand Saturday, Nov. 20, to celebrate the opening of a village of 25 tiny homes in the city of Baldwin Park.

Esperanza Villa is the first tiny home village of its kind in the San Gabriel Valley, and unsheltered residents are scheduled to move into their tiny homes during Thanksgiving week.

“Baldwin Park is proud to spearhead this unique effort to combat homelessness in the San Gabriel Valley,” said Emmanuel J. Estrada, Mayor of Baldwin Park. “Tiny homes provide the safety and privacy that is lacking in more traditional congregate shelters while helping residents’ transition to permanent housing.
Source: https://www.sgvtribune.com/2021/11/2...-for-homeless/

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 2:23 AM

Quote:
It's not like an emergency shelter where people sleep on cots in a large room is really better.
The CDC told San Francisco that shelters like that were dangerous in the covid era and tents were safer so the city closed down most of the shelters and handed out tents and designated some places--but not enough--for erecting those tents. ONE of those places will now be the site of these small dwellings.

This is the largest one of those tent encampments in a parking lot between the Main Library and the Asian Art Museum:

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 2:28 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
The CDC told San Francisco that shelters like that were dangerous in the covid era and tents were safer so the city closed down most of the shelters and handed out tents and designated some places--but not enough--for erecting those tents. ONE of those places will now be the site of these small dwellings.

This is the largest one of those tent encampments in a parking lot between the Main Library and the Asian Art Museum:

Does the city realize how bad the optics are here?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 2:39 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Yeah, this has to be one of the most bone headed things I have ever seen. We need 4K of these small dwelling in our city. There are some huge parking lots in mission bay for starters.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 4:33 AM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:

Before a polar bear visited a few years back (https://geo-summit.org/news/summit-s...es-summer-2018 ), this is was what we slept in:

Thanks for sharing!

Yes, in theory, it should work everywhere if it works in a polar environment. But in practice and through a legal standpoint, does it actually work?

The issue here is that the local government is providing temporary sheds that may not provide adequate indoor living temperatures to its occupants. It's one thing to look the other way as the homeless live in the streets or in subway stations. After all, they chose to live where they are. But by providing actual housing conditions in a government-sanctioned and funded shed, the government often needs to guarantee certain living conditions for the occupants, including indoor temperature.

Judging by a quick browse of how these fish houses are constructed, I would say that the structure itself would not provide adequate indoor temperature. It might if it had a strong-enough electric heater, but that would open up questions of how to safely heat these structures.

In essence, these fishing houses work for research scientists because they are generally functioning members of society who have the mental capacity of take care of themselves. That includes sleeping in warm sleeping bags (which I'd imagine you all did, especially in the unheated houses). But for the homeless, a large number of whom have metal issues and/or drug problems, I don't know if these would work as a solution.

Basically, my take is that "better than what they have now" doesn't work for government-provided solutions because they have to adhere to certain standards (though they often don't - see NYCHA housing).

And from a thermal-engineering perspective, having a bunch of aluminum-skinned individual free-standing houses is a disaster in terms of heating bills in the wintertime. In the low-income and no-income housing market, reducing operational expense is one of the biggest ways to save money.

My solution would be to attach two rows of houses together. That way, for most houses, 3 out of 6 walls are not exposed to the outside. Then drastically increase the roof insulation first (because heat travels up, plus whatever stack effect happens in such a short building). Then insulate the floor (I'd imagine the houses are elevated to provide site rainwater drainage) and exterior-facing walls. Soundproof the interior walls a bit to prevent neighbors from annoying each other.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 5:43 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan View Post
Thanks for sharing!

Yes, in theory, it should work everywhere if it works in a polar environment. But in practice and through a legal standpoint, does it actually work?

The issue here is that the local government is providing temporary sheds that may not provide adequate indoor living temperatures to its occupants. It's one thing to look the other way as the homeless live in the streets or in subway stations. After all, they chose to live where they are. But by providing actual housing conditions in a government-sanctioned and funded shed, the government often needs to guarantee certain living conditions for the occupants, including indoor temperature.

Judging by a quick browse of how these fish houses are constructed, I would say that the structure itself would not provide adequate indoor temperature. It might if it had a strong-enough electric heater, but that would open up questions of how to safely heat these structures.

In essence, these fishing houses work for research scientists because they are generally functioning members of society who have the mental capacity of take care of themselves. That includes sleeping in warm sleeping bags (which I'd imagine you all did, especially in the unheated houses). But for the homeless, a large number of whom have metal issues and/or drug problems, I don't know if these would work as a solution.

Basically, my take is that "better than what they have now" doesn't work for government-provided solutions because they have to adhere to certain standards (though they often don't - see NYCHA housing).

And from a thermal-engineering perspective, having a bunch of aluminum-skinned individual free-standing houses is a disaster in terms of heating bills in the wintertime. In the low-income and no-income housing market, reducing operational expense is one of the biggest ways to save money.

My solution would be to attach two rows of houses together. That way, for most houses, 3 out of 6 walls are not exposed to the outside. Then drastically increase the roof insulation first (because heat travels up, plus whatever stack effect happens in such a short building). Then insulate the floor (I'd imagine the houses are elevated to provide site rainwater drainage) and exterior-facing walls. Soundproof the interior walls a bit to prevent neighbors from annoying each other.
Yeah, you'd certainly want to heat it if you don't have infrastructure constraints (which you won't). Heating with an electric radiator would probably require about a kW heater (which does add up!). Propane is probably more commonly used but that's a bit more complex infrastructure wise (and then you need CO monitors, etc.). It certainly would help to put them side-by-side (and even back to back so most only have one exposed side).

I'm actually more concerned about cooling in hot climates than heating in cold climates.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 7:14 AM

Quote:
To a progressive SF politician, I suspect it looks like they are caring and compassionate.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 2:32 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Yeah, you'd certainly want to heat it if you don't have infrastructure constraints (which you won't). Heating with an electric radiator would probably require about a kW heater (which does add up!). Propane is probably more commonly used but that's a bit more complex infrastructure wise (and then you need CO monitors, etc.). It certainly would help to put them side-by-side (and even back to back so most only have one exposed side).

I'm actually more concerned about cooling in hot climates than heating in cold climates.
Yup, it's not as simple as just providing the shelter in cold/hot climates due to indoor temperature requirements, and you just know that some bleeding-heart gadflies WILL make a big issue of the government providing underheated or undercooled shelters. A housing solution "better than tents" does not mean the government can actually sanction and provide such solutions (except as temporary FEMA-type emergency situations).

As for cooling in hot climates, it appears that the L.A. sheds have air conditioners (see photos from the first post).

My concern is maintenance and operational costs. My preferences for the sheds are as follows:
- Make them as air-tight as possible to reduce drafts in the winter, and reduce heat & humidity issues in the summer.
- Cool roofs with substantial insulation (R30-50+) to reduce heat loss in the winter, and reduce excess solar & other heat in the summer.
- Insulation under the floor
- Insulation on the walls, though it's not as necessary as substantial roof insulation. It can be around R20.
- Reduce or eliminate all thermal bridges that would provide a "short circuit" for heat to travel from inside to outside or vice versa
- Heat recovery ventilation systems to provide constant fresh air while exhausting stale air

This way, these sheds won't rely as much on mechanical heating and cooling to provide adequate indoor temperatures. Therefore, their theoretical maintenance & operational costs will be much lower.

And yes, they would need to build them back-to-back in rows reduce the number of exterior walls directly exposed to outside air. It would be even better if they could stack these sheds 2-3 stories (to reduce the amount of exposed walls to just 1 in some cases), but that would bring up questions of structural engineering and egress issues (more complexity & cost).

The prefab housing industry would be a great way to build such structures to reduce on-site construction costs and unpredictability.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 5:28 PM
Never Dell

Do all that and you have to follow building codes. A big part of the point is keeping below that threshhold.

Building codes have all sorts of good things in them, but they also result in very high prices.

The goal is to get a LOT of people out of tents, not create a few units of permanent housing for the same dollar.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions