HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 7:21 PM

[QUOTE=smArTaLlone;9359779]Here's another Publix rendering.

I just can't get behind this. Why in the world Publix is not in the bottom floor(s) of some mid-rise in the area is beyond me. This area is such a great planned urban area with a giant piece of You Know Who suburban crap thrown in the middle.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 8:20 PM

Hope those parking spaces aren’t going in on Capitol Ave, either. Or it’s about to be redeveloped when the BRT goes in next year. Might as well just build it right the first time. It’s going to be:

Sidewalk | Bike Lane | Bus Lane | Travel Lane | Travel Lane | Bus Lane | Bike Lane | Sidewalk

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 2:59 AM

[QUOTE=PhunkyPho;9359795]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Here's another Publix rendering.

I just can't get behind this. Why in the world Publix is not in the bottom floor(s) of some mid-rise in the area is beyond me. This area is such a great planned urban area with a giant piece of You Know Who suburban crap thrown in the middle.
It just wouldn't be Atlanta without this "little" oversight...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 8:08 AM

[QUOTE=NYbyWAYofGA;9360866]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhunkyPho View Post

It just wouldn't be Atlanta without this "little" oversight...
If there was demand for this Publix to anchor a mixed-use building, it would be happening. Carter is a very well rounded developer that knows what they are doing. The 'Atlanta way' has turned this neighborhood around in a pretty impressive way.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Here's another Publix rendering.

Show us the back of the Publix, cowards! I'm sure it's shit, but show us anyway!

I don't know why they wont build the store right up to the sidewalk with the parking behind it (they could literally probably just turn the store around), front and rear entrances (the "front" entrance could be nonoperational if they're worried about monitoring two doors; didn't the Peachtree Kroger do this?) and side loading docks.

It would require some additional planning and design, but instead, we get a copy of a Roswell or Smyrna or Peachtree City store pasted right into Summerhill, completely disrupting both new street extensions, one with parking and the other with blank walls/loading docks, in what is supposed to be an urban neighborhood. This is the worst of both worlds.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2021, 5:48 PM

GSU Arena, Alexan Summerhill in the background

Old Posted Aug 14, 2021, 6:29 PM

If there’s that level of density as planned in the rendering two posts above, it’s ridiculous they’re putting in the lane big box store and mini parking deck with zero integration with the surrounding neighborhood. It’s just a bad design.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2021, 9:47 PM

So there's been zero progress on the Publix after the groundbreaking

Old Posted Aug 14, 2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
So there's been zero progress on the Publix after the groundbreaking
The Publix actually hasn't broken ground. The work that was done on that block was for the new street that will recreate the grid.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 2:25 PM

Quote:
The Publix actually hasn't broken ground. The work that was done on that block was for the new street that will recreate the grid.
I think recreating the grid is the coolest thing about this project. Any, unlike every other project in the City (except Glenwood Park) these will be public streets because of the legacy of the site and the funding.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 7:07 PM

GSU Arena

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 1:47 PM

Thumbs down

Does anyone know when they break ground on the Publix?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike322 View Post
Does anyone know when they break ground on the Publix?
Based on the status of their permit, I would guess that it won't be much longer - maybe within the next couple of months.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
I think recreating the grid is the coolest thing about this project. Any, unlike every other project in the City (except Glenwood Park) these will be public streets because of the legacy of the site and the funding.
But how cool is it really when those recreated streets are fronted by a parking deck/parking lot/blank walls/loading docks?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaca View Post
But how cool is it really when those recreated streets are fronted by a parking deck/parking lot/blank walls/loading docks?
The street network is the the skeleton of the city. Buildings and uses change.

This Publix is a relatively short-term use.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
The street network is the the skeleton of the city. Buildings and uses change.

This Publix is a relatively short-term use.
What defines short-term use? To me, this is a pretty crappy design that Atlanta's merchant developers and investors have been peddling to the community as "good design". They can sell anything as an improvement and get away with this crap.

When you start taking the long-haul approach to design and planning you start to see that these types of short-term solutions and short-term thinking are a huge part of Atlanta's problem with handling long-term growth and success.

I've heard this practice nicknamed "warehousing the land" by my former firm's chairman. (Meaning development behaviors in Atlanta tend to lean toward building for the short-term with the understanding that they'll be torn down later once there are other higher and better uses for the land.) while that might have worked for the last half of a century we have to think of more long-term solutions rather than short-term thinking to appease creditors and financial institutions who don't really have a deeper vested interest in the communities they're investing in. Most of the time the developers/investors are looking to sell it off to someone else as soon as the project's done anyways.

Madison Yards for Example:

Edgewood:

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
What defines short-term use? To me, this is a pretty crappy design that Atlanta's merchant developers and investors have been
I’d say 20 years.

The challenge is that all these “marginal markets” (the supermarket’s words, not mine) want grocery stores, but the numbers just don’t work yet for truly urban formats unless there’s a subsidy. I do agree that the low density versions can be done better, with liner shops, etc. But if the choice is between a crappy designed supermarket and no supermarket, I’m confident that the former is the right public policy in many places.

The Summerhill Publix could easy accommodate liner buildings in the edges, though. Rental townhouses could work in 20 feet.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 12:38 AM

Details on the former hotel conversion

https://whatnowatlanta.com/summerhil...-an-apartment/
Quote:
In plans submitted to the City and prepared by square feet studio, the scope of work now includes some demolition, a new exterior public plaza, new openings and additions to the existing building, new storefronts, new roofs, and new mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems. The non-residential components of the plans include a daycare, grocery, café, food hall, retail, co-working space, restaurants, and pool renovations. The 179,960 square foot building will consist of 249 units comprising micro-units, studios, one-bedroom, two-bedroom, and corner penthouse apartments.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 2:27 AM

Alexan Summerhill renderings

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 2:33 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta