HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 1:24 AM

The biggest benefit of Through Running, that this presentation completely ignores, is that it would mean that a lot more passengers could stay on the train to go to the next stop, such as a Newark to Brooklyn or Queens commute or vice versa. It would allow many to stay on the same train, reducing the overwhelming platform capacity issues, and allow the trains to dwell for less time. Not everyone continuing east from NJ Transit would have to get out and switch to an LIRR, as many could stay on the same train.

I would absolutely love to see NJ Transit ridership double, as that would mean a heck of a lot more frequent service!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 2:09 AM
Show me the blueprints

^ Good points

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 28, 2021, 5:32 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
The biggest benefit of Through Running, that this presentation completely ignores, is that it would mean that a lot more passengers could stay on the train to go to the next stop, such as a Newark to Brooklyn or Queens commute or vice versa. It would allow many to stay on the same train, reducing the overwhelming platform capacity issues, and allow the trains to dwell for less time. Not everyone continuing east from NJ Transit would have to get out and switch to an LIRR, as many could stay on the same train.

I would absolutely love to see NJ Transit ridership double, as that would mean a heck of a lot more frequent service!
I haven't looked too much more into whether they go into more detail, but my interpretation of their analysis is that it assumes turning trains around in Sunnyside(?) and somewhere like Secaucus, which isn't truly the idea of through-running advocates want: We would at least want LIRR/MetroNorth services to converge at PSNY and continue to at least EWR-Newark, MetroPark, Trenton, or (ideally) Philly with NJT service diverging into MetroNorth (maybe along the West-Side Access routing?) and LIRR (possibly Jamaica?) services.

In an ideal world, A) LIRR service would have been extended to the WTC-PATH Hub, from Atlantic terminal, and on across the Hudson to Newark via Jersey City-Bayonne-Penn Newark-Broad Street, B) East Side Access and Gateway would have been one program to connect GCT and PSNY (by continuing the tunnel) alongside building a new Hudson tunnel from Hoboken, to convert that Terminal into a station and allow all NJT services to run to NY: Via WTC, PSNY, or a new West-Side station/GCT. But alas, none of that will really ever happen, now.

OTOH, at least people have definitive evidence that the station improvements were meant to clear space in the existing facilities for a complete re-haul, which always seemed obvious to me...but whatevs

Old Posted Dec 28, 2021, 6:19 PM

Hm 8 minute dwells, sub 2.5% grades, etc as deal killers for thru running. Tell me you don't want to do thru running without telling me you don't want to do thru running.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 1:26 AM
New Yorker for life

December 27, 2021

Old meets new meets new....

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 6:51 PM
New Yorker for life

JANUARY 12, 2021

More of Moynihan is opening up, and it’s starting to look like the renderings…

Opening soon….

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 12:45 AM
New Yorker for life

A few months late, but the pandemic did slow things down.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 2:57 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ oh nice -- i was wondering when that would happen. good to see.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 5:04 PM
Show me the blueprints

You may ask yourself...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 7:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ oh nice -- i was wondering when that would happen. good to see.
Some of the stores are still under construction. I see staff in some locations, so at any time. I walk through a lot, so I’ll be paying more attention.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 9:34 PM

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 11:22 PM
New Yorker for life

I was reading this earlier. They should do a walk around the actual sites to truly see what could be lost.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 3:53 PM

Quote:
a new Madison Square Garden moved (possibly) to Herald Square would affirm and reinforce New York’s unique urban identity while bestowing on the city a world-class unified regional rail network for the benefit of the city and the entire region.
WHERE exactly would they place a new Madison Square Garden in Herald Square?

Build the old ARC station - the train to Macy's basement as the media termed it - and call it a day.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 1:29 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
You may ask yourself...
If someone asks, this is where I'll be.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 2:30 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
WHERE exactly would they place a new Madison Square Garden in Herald Square?
Sixth Ave between 34th and 32nd (spanning 33rd). A new top notch PATH terminal and expanded Herald Sq subway station complex could be under the development which could be mixed use with tower components. Hell, PATH could swing under the site and continue west to Hudson Yards with a stop connecting 7th and 8th Ave subways and Penn. With MTA fare integration it could act as a 34th St crosstown. And, oh, I dont know, maybe hitch a ride to Jersey in a pocket of that fancy new tunnel they're building and then fan out north and south in Bergen and Hudson Counties. Just saying.

EDIT: A 34 St tunnel actually holds a multitude of benefits. It could act as a Penn-GCT thru run connector which could alleviate capacity issues and provide connecting services for NJT/MN/LIRR or hopefully an umbrella name we can call regional rail in the future.

Last edited by Busy Bee; Jan 19, 2022 at 3:40 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 3:30 PM

I don't think they'll move MSG for a long time. If they did, it wouldn't be the worst idea to build it on top of the USPS processing between 9th and 10th ave just below Manhattan West. I bet the postal service would listen to selling air rights to fund modernization of operations.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 3:49 PM
New Yorker for life

https://nypost.com/2022/01/23/moynih...tion-area/amp/

Moynihan Food Hall brings artisanal — and democracy — to Penn Station area

By Steve Cuozzo
January 23, 2022

Quote:
Hungry and thirsty Moynihan Train Hall users no longer have to trudge outside to neighborhood joints to eat and make merry.

Vornado Realty Trust just launched the Moynihan Food Hall, a 25,000-square-foot cluster of a dozen, “curated” vendors on Penn Station’s ground floor, all chosen for their Big Apple connections. The names include Sauce Pizzeria, E.A.K. Ramen and Jacob’s Pickles.

The centerpiece is The Bar, an elegant venue in dark walnut and polished brass run by HPH, the hospitality outfit that owns Harry’s steakhouse, French market Le District, and “World’s Best Bar” award-winner Dead Rabbit, and manages the Financier patisseries.

The Bar — not to be confused with Amtrak’s nearby Metropolitan Lounge, which is open mainly to select Amtrak ticket-holders — is for everyone, including tens of thousands of local residents and workers en route daily to and from Madison Square Garden, Manhattan West and Hudson Yards.
Quote:
HPH operates The Bar under a management contract, while other, smaller vendors lease their spots from Vornado.

Danny McDonald, a partner in HPH with Peter Poulakakos and Paul Lamas, said that Vornado “paid for the whole buildout.” The bar itself is topped with American black walnut like the one at Dead Rabbit downtown.

The Bar and a few other vendors opened without fanfare a week ago. The area was quiet, much like the adjoining Moynihan Train Hall’s carved out inside the James A. Farley Post Office building. But traffic will likely grow when Amtrak, LIRR and subway ridership increase with the end of Omicron, as now appears insight.

The planned February and March openings of more food kiosks, such as Alidoro and Burger Joint, are also certain to draw more customers.
Quote:
McDonald said, “We only got our liquor license this month and we didn’t put the vodka on the bar until last Friday [Jan. 14]. We’ve seen a steady stream of more people every day.”

Food isn’t served at the bar itself or at nearby tables. But as the eateries around it open, Bar customers will scan a QR code to order dishes from them, McDonald said. (Several food spots are also open in the Vornado-owned Train Hall, including Magnolia Bakery and H&H Bagels, but they are separate from the Food Hall.)

HPH previously operated Vornado’s now-closed Pennsy food hall on Seventh Avenue, which served as kind of a test kitchen to gauge foot traffic in the area. But the Moynihan hall’s rich furnishings and decor are a far cry from the Pennsy’s industrial motif.
Quote:
Manhattan has scores of food courts, of course, but the Moynihan Hall stakes are high for Vornado.

It’s part of the developer’s 125,000-square-foot retail presence at Moynihan-Penn Station, which it controls under a 99-year lease from the Empire State Development Corp.

The publicly traded real estate giant regards the Food Hall as key to its entire, enormous West Side commitment. The investment includes the Farley Building, where Facebook leased 750,000 square feet of offices, as well as neighboring office towers Penn 1 and Penn 2.
Quote:
Vornado also has rights to develop five new office towers in the immediate vicinity as part of the planned $306 billion Empire Station Complex, which was proposed by former Gov. Andrew Cuomo and has been only slightly scaled down by Gov. Kathy Hochul.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 11:45 PM

As glad as I am to finally see the food hall opening, I am sad to see that not one of the patrons has a mask on or even visible. I hope the management is going to enforce a mask mandate and not allow entry to anyone without one. The location being a major transportation hub has the same mask mandate that an airport has.
I couldn't care less about your feelings concerning not having to wear a mask.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.kurshan View Post
As glad as I am to finally see the food hall opening, I am sad to see that not one of the patrons has a mask on or even visible. I hope the management is going to enforce a mask mandate and not allow entry to anyone without one. The location being a major transportation hub has the same mask mandate that an airport has.
I couldn't care less about your feelings concerning not having to wear a mask.
Unless it gets renewed, the NYC mask mandate is going to expire on Thursday. This photo shows a bar, with all except 4 sitting at the bar to drink so it's understandable why they aren't wearing masks

Old Posted Feb 21, 2022, 8:57 PM
New Yorker for life

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development